Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein - just where is the money coming from?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

It has probably already been mentioned but they tend to inherit the fortunes of wealthy British people ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

mynamejeff wrote: »

I believe that the parents of murdered children should have justice

don't you ?

Think they already got that, this is something else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

mynamejeff wrote: »

Think they already got that, this is something else

enlighten us so

don't just make vague statements

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 The Shocking Truth

We assassinated the guy who set up our funding operation in the US, you think people are going to start caring now?
    When was that?

And why do you say "we"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jd1983 wrote: »
    It has probably already been mentioned but they tend to inherit the fortunes of wealthy British people ;-)

I know about one famous one. Are there others?

He made the very sensible provison in his will to prepare for the next SF split. Which given their relentless pursuit of riches, could well be caused by the enormous windfall he provided. The volunteers will be looking for a cut I expect. I think it will have to be confined to the North, because of him being a British subject.

Mr Hampton then said that the rest of his estate should go to Sinn Féin, and set out detailed instructions as to what should happen if Sinn Féin was to split.

He said that the money was to go to Sinn Fein “to cover election expenses, to fund Sinn Fein offices and advice centres and to aid republican prisoners and their families in both Ireland and Britain”.

He went on: “For the purposes of clarification the organisation which I intend to benefit is commonly known as Provisional Sinn Féin to distinguish it from Republican Sinn Fein.

“In the event that the organisation which is now known as Sinn Féin should cease to be in existence or should have split or taken on a different name at the date of death then I direct that my executors and trustees are to apply my money to the political party to which Mr Gerry Adams, MP then belongs.”

He said that if Mr Adams had died by that point that the money should go to the republican or nationalist party with the largest number of elected councillors in “the six counties” – with the exception of the SDLP.

• Advertisement

If FF or FG had got a couple of million from some eccentric, I'd say the PBP types would be jumping up and down about capitalist greed. They have stayed silent about SF getting this windfall, as far as I know. Apologies to any PBP people if they have criticised it.

I would go so far as to say that any other party would have passed on the money to good causes, because of the enormous backlash which would have ensued in the press and on social media. SF have been given a free pass on this one in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,873 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If FF or FG had got a couple of million from some eccentric, I'd say the PBP types would be jumping up and down about capitalist greed. They have stayed silent about SF getting this windfall, as far as I know. Apologies to any PBP people if they have criticised it.

I would go so far as to say that any other party would have passed on the money to good causes, because of the enormous backlash which would have ensued in the press and on social media. SF have been given a free pass on this one in the press.

'Free' press? :):)
    There has been nothing but bitchy press about it. A full length TV programme and various sections of current affairs programmes given over to it.

'Free' press? :):)
    There has been nothing but bitchy press about it. A full length TV programme and various sections of current affairs programmes given over to it.

That's good to hear. And maybe the party would think about giving a million to the homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The funding of political parties has always been a source of intrigue down the years. I guess with the link between SF and the IRA that adds another dimension which the other main parties don't have to contend with. That being said speculative articles about SF's wealth or otherwise are pointless. Unless someone has a paper trail or hard evidence then stop speculating. SF do seem to be the beneficiary of some people's wills which is interesting.
    With the amount of money FF/FG got from cronies down the years especially brown envelopes I don't think they would be in the best moral position to cast aspersions.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

I know about one famous one. Are there others?

I'm not sure tbh but I remember hearing they had some British supporters/sympathisers. However other than the recent example, I'm not sure if they've inherited any wealth from these supporters. Back in the 70's a daughter of a British aristocrat joined the pira.

• Advertisement

holyhead wrote: »
    The funding of political parties has always been a source of intrigue down the years. I guess with the link between SF and the IRA that adds another dimension which the other main parties don't have to contend with. That being said speculative articles about SF's wealth or otherwise are pointless. Unless someone has a paper trail or hard evidence then stop speculating. SF do seem to be the beneficiary of some people's wills which is interesting.
    With the amount of money FF/FG got from cronies down the years especially brown envelopes I don't think they would be in the best moral position to cast aspersions.

One thing that is not speculation is the claims about SF politicians handing up most of their wages to the party. Individual members, and the party themselves made those claims. The fact that there was no evidence of that in their returns to SIPO is surely something which is ripe for investigation. SIPO have no function in investigating what has turned out to be false propaganda from the party to fool the public, but it could make for a good story in the press.

Also do you know how many more wills they have benefited from apart from Mr Hampton?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

tipptom wrote: »
    Anything I worked at, I worked hard at it and done well and never got free cheques for doing nothing.

Unlike the fella you voted into office in Tipp.

BTW you say that you were wearing the poppy and drinking with squaddies in British Legion clubs before the British army were terrorising nationalists in the 6 counties. That would put you in your 70's so I'm not sure if it would be fair of me to keep arguing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Steady on Jeff. I agree with a lot of what you say but if we had a few more like Lowry prepared to get stuck in we would all be a lot better off.
    Yep,and I bet they have already held discussions with that other party stalwart and tax avoiding citizen Michael "is that a "FG application form in your pocket" Lowery.
    Unlike the fella you voted into office in Tipp.

BTW you say that you were wearing the poppy and drinking with squaddies in British Legion clubs before the British army were terrorising nationalists in the 6 counties. That would put you in your 70's so I'm not sure if it would be fair of me to keep arguing with you.
    8.10 in the morning and you are on the computer.

I would rather vote for someone who is unemployed than vote for a crook like Lowry who's level of corruption is "breathtaking" according to our judges.

No cheques from Lowry in this house for doing nothing at 8.10 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

We all know what Lowry did,, so does the whole country.

At the time he was no.2 or 3 in FG,, and SF will have a long way to go, to be as bent as FG.

I would rather vote for someone who is unemployed than vote for a crook like Lowry who's level of corruption is "breathtaking" according to our judges.

No cheques from Lowry in this house for doing nothing at 8.10 in the morning.

Michael Lowry buried his brother yesterday and IMO only the lowest of the low would be on social media today knocking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Michael Lowry buried his brother yesterday and IMO only the lowest of the low would be on social media today knocking him.

Oh give over. Lowry was proven to be totally and utterly corrupt; a morally bankrupt slieveen who used his position to enrich himself.

Most people here won’t be aware of his personal circumstances and most people aren’t going to lay off criticising him for being a corrupt piece of sh*t due to your feeble attempts at moral blackmail in order to confuse the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

As for SF; they have an engaged base that is constantly fundraising in the form of local events, raffles, draws, functions etc. Likewise a lot of work they do on properties is done in-house for very low rates by supporters of the party. This I know for a fact as it was a large part of activity when I was a member.

Also considering SF is probably the most scrutinised and investigated party in the country I’d imagine if there was massive financial irregularity then it would have been exposed by now.

I have no bother with investigative journalists delving into any party; have at it as far as I’m concerned. There should be state legislature stipulating far greater transparency for ALL political parties in the country including FF and FG’s links with developers and all the dodgy donations they have received in the past.

The likes of Varadkar morning about party funding is very much a case of glass houses and stones.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Oh give over. Lowry was proven to be totally and utterly corrupt; a morally bankrupt slieveen who used his position to enrich himself.

Most people here won’t be aware of his personal circumstances and most people aren’t going to lay off criticising him for being a corrupt piece of sh*t due to your feeble attempts at moral blackmail in order to confuse the issue.

Like I say only the lowest of the low would be chirping in at this time.

I take it you were still in the scratcher then Tommie. What time would you go 'on the computer' at?

I take it you were still in the scratcher then Tommie. What time would you go 'on the computer' at?

Was gone through Cloughjordan and Borrisokane at half five this morning.

No sign of any Lowry supporters around Borris at that time.

• Advertisement

Was gone through Cloughjordan and Borrisokane at half five this morning.

No sign of any Lowry supporters around Borris at that time.

Wouldn't have been many around at that time Tommie certainly none wearing the Poppy( apart from the odd one around cloughjordan if you know what I mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What a load of bollocks tbch, people in the public eye shouldn't be criticised for previous transgressions because a relative has passed away?

Away and have a word with yourself Dan. There's a good lad.

Wouldn't have been many around at that time Tommie certainly none wearing the Poppy( apart from the odd one around cloughjordan if you know what I mean)

Plenty around Cloughjordan wear it and I have no problem with it,thats their view and they're entitled to it.
    I do know what you mean about Cloughjordan but I'm not sectarian in my views,thanks all the same.

[/B]
    Plenty around Cloughjordan wear it and I have no problem with it,thats their view and they're entitled to it.
    I do know what you mean about Cloughjordan but I'm not sectarian in my views,thanks all the same.

I have absolutely no doubt that you get on great Tom.
    I suppose you regale them about your times drinking with the squaddies and toasting the Queen! They pat you on the head and you're up at cock crow happy as Larry mucking out the horses!

I have absolutely no doubt that you get on great Tom.
    I suppose you regale them about your times drinking with the squaddies and toasting the Queen! They pat you on the head and you're up at cock crow happy as Larry mucking out the horses!

They love my particular version of The Sash.

We are organising lifts to Dublin from Tipp for the next Blueshirt/Lowry dedication for the Tans.

Im sure you will be getting a lift with lowry,he can tell you tales of big Phil,Dennis,Ben,Doncaster Rovers and the like.

Its a long time since I mucked out a horse and anyway its all done by ground staff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can’t believe how loyal people are to political parties.
    They wouldn’t reciprocate it in a million years lads.
    They look after themselves and to hell with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Can’t believe how loyal people are to political parties.
    They wouldn’t reciprocate it in a million years lads.
    They look after themselves and to hell with you.
    The biggest fears the politicians have of losing power, is that their 'income' will move to one of the other parties. Not that they won't get to implement their policies and attempt to fix or improve the country.
    Often they are of the opinion that 'someones going to do it, why not us?'.
    Rather than 'someone needs to stop it/control it/look after the people etc. why not us?'

They wouldn't look sideways at any of the posters here that they can't get something from.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I know a few and they’re all smiles near election time.
    Even go out of their way to smile at you and ask for your vote.
    Two-faced ***** would meet you on the street afterwards and wouldn’t even acknowledge your presence.
    A profession I detest with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

FTA69 wrote: »
    As for SF; they have an engaged base that is constantly fundraising in the form of local events, raffles, draws, functions etc. Likewise a lot of work they do on properties is done in-house for very low rates by supporters of the party. This I know for a fact as it was a large part of activity when I was a member.

Also considering SF is probably the most scrutinised and investigated party in the country I’d imagine if there was massive financial irregularity then it would have been exposed by now.

I have no bother with investigative journalists delving into any party; have at it as far as I’m concerned. There should be state legislature stipulating far greater transparency for ALL political parties in the country including FF and FG’s links with developers and all the dodgy donations they have received in the past.

The likes of Varadkar morning about party funding is very much a case of glass houses and stones.

Yes, an awful lot of people got their houses done up by the Northern Bank money. Sinn Fein members were well-known for paying in cash under the table for renovation jobs on the Northside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, an awful lot of people got their houses done up by the Northern Bank money. Sinn Fein members were well-known for paying in cash under the table for renovation jobs on the Northside.

Now that's defamatory surely?

Advertisement