Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein - just where is the money coming from?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bowie wrote: »
    Now that's defamatory surely?

If they were arresting people for 'cash' home renovations, half the country would be in jail. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If they were arresting people for 'cash' home renovations, half the country would be in jail. :):)

Michael Noonan/FG too, paying folk under the table for 9 years. But sure Noonan is a good republican....corporate shill?

Michael Noonan/FG too, paying folk under the table for 9 years. But sure Noonan is a good republican....corporate shill?

Not forgetting the collective amnesia in FF over where the cash is...under the bed or in the wife's bank account. :)

Not forgetting the collective amnesia in FF over where the cash is...under the bed or in the wife's bank account. :)

FF give anyone a run for the money.
    'Won it on the horses' :)

Imagine a campaign by Paul Murphy to see were all the FG TD's get their money? Or Richie Barrett inferring unelected people control FF?
    We'd likely have a state of emergency if PBP or SF ever got a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Its 10 euro a year to be a member in Ireland. Its only 5 euro if you are not working. So for nothing really.

I do not know about Friends of Sinn Fein which is for the USA. If you are in Europe like say Germany for example the only option is called Cairde and that is 50 euro per year. For that you get a membership card, a few postcards, maybe a pin and a few laminated pieces of art like a 1916 declaration.

So a member in Ireland pays 10 euro and gets full voting rights while a foreign supporter pays more and is not allowed to vote.

Clearly their money comes from supporters abroad

• Advertisement

Found this.
    Amount of donations disclosed by political parties
    The total value of donations disclosed by political parties during 2018 was €159,819.
    Appendix 2 shows in detail the donations disclosed by political parties.
    A summary of the donations disclosed is shown below:

Party Total Donations Disclosed €
    Fáil 2,500
    Fine Gael 81,899
    Labour Party 22,150
    Sinn Féin 48,470
    Workers and Unemployed Action 4,800
    Total 159,819

https://www.sipo.ie/reports-and-publications/annual-disclosures/Report-donations-political-parties-2018.pdf

Now I'm not suggesting we forego the relative free pass the only party to bankrupt the country (twice I might add) has gotten since SF topped the Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

I'm sure if FG do join FF in government,, they will insist that FF leave Dinny alone.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/denis-obrien-seeks-documents-used-in-watchdogs-court-bid-for-inm-inspectors-986184.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

satguy wrote: »
    I'm sure if FG do join FF in government,, they will insist that FF leave Dinny alone.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/denis-obrien-seeks-documents-used-in-watchdogs-court-bid-for-inm-inspectors-986184.htm

Only if FG leave scores of FF big developers alone.

Gonna be some carve up for the two of them like a mafia sit down for their supporters because they know its the dying of the day for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Found this.

Now I'm not suggesting we forego the relative free pass the only party to bankrupt the country (twice I might add) has gotten since SF topped the Election.

I posted the SIPO link a few days ago. And as I said at the time it proves that the story about SF elected representatives giving most of their wages to the party was false all along. They couldn't have because of the €2,500 annual limit.

The attempt to fool the public into thinking they were all living on small money was cynical, and might have persuaded some voters to give them a preference. That is why it needs investigation.

I think they were perfectly right to hold on to their own money, but it does look like the party forced most of them to go right up to the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sue me.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Sue me.

Why, when your constant bile is doing more good than harm to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

tdf7187 wrote: »

Incidentally I don't even much like SF. I think they are close to being a political cult.

I just despise hypocrisy, and the establishment media is obviously guilty thereof.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Incidentally I don't even much like SF. I think they are close to being a political cult.

I just despise hypocrisy, and the establishment media is obviously guilty thereof.

All parties have the core base. I'm kind of amused but ultimately disappointed that the status quo parties and much of the media seem to be chasing down SF because the public decided to throw them more votes than FF/FG. It's pretty pathetic. They would not be great I don't think. I'd love a coalition of left leaning parties. Can't help but jump in if I see anything designed to defend or deflect from FF/FG. If they were on at the SD's or PBP in a similar manner I'd be the same way. Was accused of supporting Paul Murphy and even FF one time. Folk can't believe FG are judged on what they do not because of any loyalty to another party.
    Where does SF's money come from? I'm not really interested, but if you are inferring any criminal activity, show your work I say.

I'm kind of amused but ultimately disappointed that the status quo parties and much of the media seem to be chasing down SF because the public decided to throw them more votes than FF/FG. It's pretty pathetic.

Don't be disappointed. Be grateful to the media who brought SF supporters the ammunition for their Whatabouts, which they use to deflect any attempt to question the goings on in that party. Any scandal going is done to death by the media, regardless of party.

And be prepared for more questions, now that the party has arrived as part of the Establishment, and maybe the future status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Like I say only the lowest of the low would be chirping in at this time.

Do you know what’s low mate? Taking bribes in public office.

And what’s even lower is people fawning over the corrupt. Either hoping to benefit from it themselves or just plain thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yes, an awful lot of people got their houses done up by the Northern Bank money. Sinn Fein members were well-known for paying in cash under the table for renovation jobs on the Northside.

You’ve literally no idea what you’re talking about and it’s obvious too. You glean various tabloid articles and rumours and then pass them off as your personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Sinn Fein get their money from donations like every other political party.

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Sinn Fein get their money from donations like every other political party.

They probably get more from the taxpayer, as provided for in legislation. And their share of the kitty will be going up after their election success.

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2019/08/exchequer-funding-of-political-parties-2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

FTA69 wrote: »
    Do you know what’s low mate? Taking bribes in public office.

And what’s even lower is people fawning over the corrupt. Either hoping to benefit from it themselves or just plain thick.

Oh I dunno, would you not regard a little man packing razors and nails into explosives and sending young fellas out to plant them as being pretty low?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

‘I just made up that “fact”’ i think is the correct term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

They'll be sued soon though.

That's the way Irish society works now.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Charlie haughey owned an island and nobody batted an eyelid. P Flynn broke his back trying to run the 3 houses he lived in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

debok wrote: »
    Charlie haughey owned an island and nobody batted an eyelid. P Flynn broke his back trying to run the 3 houses he lived in .

FG's Garrett Fitzgerald got a nice helping hand in '93. Wonder how much 200k is in today's money and what did the bank get in return?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fitzgerald-confirms-bank-wrote-off-200000-bad-debt-26160282.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Yes, an awful lot of people got their houses done up by the Northern Bank money. Sinn Fein members were well-known for paying in cash under the table for renovation jobs on the Northside.

Back in the 90s most builders wouldn't do work for FG TDs as you'd never get paid,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Back in the 90s most builders wouldn't do work for FG TDs as you'd never get paid,

I know tradesmen who had the same attitude about guards and teachers.

The miserable feckers were the worst to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

I know tradesmen who had the same attitude about guards and teachers.

The miserable feckers were the worst to pay.

Probably becauese the work was sub standard. Or they came on Wednesday and said we'll be back Friday week.
    Same thing applies today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

mattser wrote: »
    Probably becauese the work was sub standard. Or they came on Wednesday and said we'll be back Friday week.
    Same thing applies today.

No. Because they hate paying for anything.

I have known of guards who have point blank refused to pay tradesmen and when chased for money gave very thinly veiled threats and told them to drop it or they would make life 'awkward' for them.

I remember an electrician who and fair play to him said "**** you" and took it all the way into the District Court for his money. The guard tried his level best not to dislose his job when questioned in the witness box and went so far as to say he was "a property developer". The solicitor straight out said "You are a member of an Garda Siochana. Correct?". The Judge was less than impressed. The guard had zero excuses for not paying, had lodged no counter defence and even represented himself. He was just trying to brazen it out ("Sure nobody will sue a Garda")- the electrician did thousands of Euros of work in good faith and all to a top quality standard. It did not end well for the guard.

But that is just one example but it is common concensus that guards and teachers can be very very slow payers. Not all of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Tradesmen.

Don't let them in your house.

They will spread the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I don’t know. I’m not an investigative journalist. I will say that a political party owning 50 properties is extremely unusual. So is having 200 employees. Like maybe it’s all above board, but it’s worthy of further investigations.

4 properties in Dublin alone? Mad stuff, Ted.

Obviously we will be told that there’s nothing to see here and that this is another attempt by the ‘establishment’ to undermine SF. Fück that stupid opinion though.

How many properties does FF and FG own? How much did they spend on advertising in the general elections? Or are you only interested in throwing digs at SF? You probably won’t answer.

Seems to be a recurring theme on this site to attack SF. The MSM attacks on SF had zero affect, keep it up FFG shill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Oh I dunno, would you not regard a little man packing razors and nails into explosives and sending young fellas out to plant them as being pretty low?

Are you not content that your party FFG has political cover now to continue it’s control of power in Ireland? Such bitterness that you will no longer lead both the government and opposition. Your time of exclusive control of Irish society and divvying up the goods between yourselves is coming to an end. Suck it up.

Advertisement