Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in my day...

Options

Comments

Deja Boo wrote: »
    and may the skinny jean trend pass quickly!

Feels like I have been waiting 10 years for this skinny jeans trend to pass. It is a lost generation for jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

when you went to the butcher's to buy meat , if parents could afford it
    hunting rabbits at weekend's . if we got 1 or 2 we had rabbit for a day or two . If we had more the neighbours were given a couple and a favour would be returned at some stage
    green grocer for veg ,
    small shop or two on every street ,
    ''no bottles no milk'' slogans in shop windows everything stuffed into paper bags . then came the eighties and we were told we cant keep using paper bags or glass bottles we have to change to plastic, its the saviour of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Holy hour on Sunday, when the pubs closed for a little while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

branie2 wrote: »
    The Holy hour on Sunday, when the pubs closed for a little while

That was dinner time in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Omackeral wrote: »
    These little bolloxes in your bubble bath.

51D%2BYfgNKaL._SX355_.jpg

I bought 2 bottles only last week "for my kids":D - i had no idea they were still making it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

hunting rabbits at weekend's . if we got 1 or 2 we had rabbit for a day or two . If we had more the neighbours were given a couple and a favour would be returned at some stage
    green grocer for veg ,

That bit I remember. Making and setting snares. Awful thing. They'd chew a leg off to get away. I'd sell them to a local man

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Back in my day, mars bars were THIS big

cjmc wrote: »
    green grocer for veg ,

That bit I remember. Making and setting snares. Awful thing. They'd chew a leg off to get away. I'd sell them to a local man
    never used snares . .22 rifle . father would go mad if a wounded one got away and we'd have to spend ages looking for it . pigeons during the autumn/winter ,they were nice if they weren't feeding on ivy berries , jaysus they were horrible then . We had also had a local guy who bought pigeons, rabbits,ducks etc .
    He bought blackberries as well , hard earned pocket money

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

...there were no 'influencers' or bull **** platforms that give extremists on both sides a voice to peddle their nonsense (facebook and Twitter being the worst offenders).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shellzzz

branie2 wrote:
    We had to change the TV channels on the TV itself via knob

We had a telly on a high cupboard and the remote control was the brush handle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We had to change the TV channels on the TV itself via knob

I was explaining to my kid the other week that, when "i was a kid," TVs came in a box and I didn't mean the packaging!

Lucky you changing channels with a knob, I had to tune channels with a matchstick :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

As toddlers we were sent over to other peoples houses if there was a case of measles, mumps or chicken pox. The logic being that it was best to catch them early and get them done before school going age. The call would go out across the neighbourhood and impromptu juvenile contagion gatherings were organised by the mammies. Totally alien concept since the introduction of vaccines, and particularly over the past few days when strict isolation has become the focus of national attention.

Also, rays of light passing overhead at the cinema.... a rainbow of colour would emerge from the projection room behind you and burst into glorious technicolour images on the screen in front. The 'effect' was caused by the smoke haze hanging in the air from the cigarettes being smoked in the enclosed space. Even for a kids movie, the adults present with their little darlings would light up to pass the time.

Looking at both examples, it's a wonder that we ever survived.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You rented videos from a shop.

Mr freezes were a treat, or shertbert liqourice dip. Wham bars. Big ted little ted. Dogtantian. Cars with chokes. Playing squares on the road, or curbs, or soccer till dark in the summer, miwadi. Bus conductors. A g , a g r , a g r o , AGRO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We chanted "hero."

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Quinnsworth before it became Tescos

Yellow pack stout was the probably cheapest and worst thing I drank as a student. Horrendous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Back in my day, mars bars were THIS big

And Yorkie bars - 'Good rich and thick, a milk chocolate brick' ... not like the wimpish impersonation that we have these days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When 'pub grub' consisted of a ham sandwich, a cheese sandwich or a ham and cheese sandwich :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You rented videos from a shop.

Ooh spot the posho!:D

We had a bloke came around in a battered nissan sunny with a load of dodgy copies in the boot - the whole road would rush out to greet him like he was handing out free bags of money in a vain attempt to get something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The travelling shop. Fruit n veg, tea bags and mint crisps in the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

"Apples, minerals and chocolate" sellers at GAA matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ruby Ring wrote: »
    "Apples, minerals and chocolate" sellers at GAA matches

That’s how bill Cullen got started

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Picking blackberries and adding a little water and small stones to the can to make it weigh more when you went to the buyer’s yard to sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

miamee wrote: »
    When 'pub grub' consisted of a ham sandwich, a cheese sandwich or a ham and cheese sandwich :D

There was one oul fella pub where we were offered free Taytos from behind the bar, but every one of us refused them because they were well out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

We had the dinner in the middle of the day and eat the tae in the evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Who remembers Bang Bang?

Going to county GAA championship matches and wearing the crepe paper hats with your county colours. When it rained the dye ran down your face.

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Jackie Healy-Rae ???

Picking blackberries and adding a little water and small stones to the can to make it weigh more when you went to the buyer’s yard to sell them.
    ha ha , that's right . Until fella's got greedy and over did it with the water and ruined id

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Dead right.breakfast dinner tea in that order.
    There’s parts of Yorkshire and pub dinners are served from 11am onwards and finish around 1pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

anewme wrote: »
    You could win a set of saucepans on Murphys Micro Quiz- m.

Each answer was worth 2 pence on Bunny Carr's Quicksilver...

Advertisement