Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in my day...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Long before Napster you'd borrow a tape of your mate and record it with 'hi-speed dubbing' and save about 45 minutes from a 90 minute tape.
    You sometimes sit there listening to the radio waiting for your song to come on so you can record it. You'd pray the disc jockey would not talk over it or cut it short.
    D60s, D90s. Metal tapes. Save the stickers in case you decide to record over something. Making mix tapes

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭chinwag

When a starting handle was included in the kit of a car. It could be so handy when a car battery might be a bit low or completely flat......back in the days when cars were less complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Going through British army checkpoints to the late mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Where In the World? First presented by Marty Whelan, then Theresa Lowe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

miamee wrote: »
    When 'pub grub' consisted of a ham sandwich, a cheese sandwich or a ham and cheese sandwich :D

Or a toasted ham sandwich, or a toasted ham and cheese sandwich from a sandwich toaster ...wow! We used to get that with "a dressed orange" - club orange with cream on the top and an umbrella with a cherry stuck to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A storm warning meant you absolutely *had* to get down to high tide at Blackrock for waves that could make the jump from the top 3 metres higher or 3 metres lower but you wouldn't know which until you had a lung full of the Atlantic.

Actually, just summers at the diving tower in Blackrock in general: there'd be 10 or 12 of us from our estate traipsing down for high tide, going a few hours before it so we could hit the bottom when we jumped off or swimming underneath the tower itself when the tide was right in. We could have been down there since 7am and wouldn't be back home until dinner time after which there'd be a kick-around on the green until it got too dark to see the ball.

I can't imagine a gang of 10 to 14 year olds being given that level of freedom nowadays. My own young lad would be grounded for a month if I caught him at half the dangerous ****e we used to get up to back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Oh another one: playing on building sites and the thrill of coming across a nail gun a builder hadn't locked away before he fecked off to the pub on a Friday afternoon. I remember building a set of goalposts out of some 3x2 we fleeced from the same site and our parents actually being proud of our woodwork rather than giving us a bollocking for the theft of the materials used!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Sleepy wrote: »
    Oh another one: playing on building sites and the thrill of coming across a nail gun a builder hadn't locked away before he fecked off to the pub on a Friday afternoon. I remember building a set of goalposts out of some 3x2 we fleeced from the same site and our parents actually being proud of our woodwork rather than giving us a bollocking for the theft of the materials used!
    I remember myself and my two friends were playing around a building site and were held hostage by a gang from Shannon...

Evil bastard the ring leader Kevin was threatening to hang one of the lads off the rafters and he was held in the execution chamber, the jax I think...
    The bastard was always threatening to kill us, it was like living on a live set of stand by me.....

We were eventually released from the lair, prick got his cummopunce years later outside of a nightclub in Shannon.

Hey are you Kevin C.....?

Yeah what about it?

Lights out, crutches and good karma

He salutes me now and I helped him give up the sauce, the irony

The execution chamber and nightclub was never spoken about over cups of coffee and me listening to his fears trials and tribulations...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

iamstop wrote: »
    ... there was two settings for climate control in the car.
    Windows closed and windows open.

Usually closed regardless of season. 6 kids in the back fighting while mammy and daddy sat in the front smoking like troopers..

• Registered Users Posts: 25 greencoat

we could build a ramp using 3 cement blocks and some wood beside the ole dears house,come down the hill as fast as we could pedal and take flight,did not need no helmet then either..lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

The transition from blankets to a duvet/continental quilt and in the process becoming a true European.

Parents feckin' off to the pub of a Saturday night for a few hours and not having a babysitter.

'Tales of the unexpected' intro song...nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

greencoat wrote: »
    we could build a ramp using 3 cement blocks and some wood beside the ole dears house,come down the hill as fast as we could pedal and take flight,did not need no helmet then either..lol

On a Raleigh Burner with mag wheels?

On a Raleigh Burner with mag wheels?

no a grifter,my mate had the raleigh burner,and yeah he had the full face moto x helmet,jealousy was high...lol

nthclare wrote: »
    I remember myself and my two friends were playing around a building site and were held hostage by a gang from Shannon...

Evil bastard the ring leader Kevin was threatening to hang one of the lads off the rafters and he was held in the execution chamber, the jax I think...
    The bastard was always threatening to kill us, it was like living on a live set of stand by me.....

We were eventually released from the lair, prick got his cummopunce years later outside of a nightclub in Shannon.

Hey are you Kevin C.....?

Yeah what about it?

Lights out, crutches and good karma

He salutes me now and I helped him give up the sauce, the irony

The execution chamber and nightclub was never spoken about over cups of coffee and me listening to his fears trials and tribulations...
    This friends, is why nobody should ever,ever go to an AA meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Usually closed regardless of season. 6 kids in the back fighting while mammy and daddy sat in the front smoking like troopers..

An arm swinging back from the driver’s side, every now and then, to keep someone “in line”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

An arm swinging back from the driver’s side, every now and then, to keep someone “in line”.
    That would have been the daddy, the mammy didn't drive back in my day, even if daddy had a good few scoops in him!

heading on up the fields for the whole day,the ole dear would not have a a worry in the world,gone from dusk till dawn.up to climb the trees and act the maggot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

greencoat wrote: »
    no a grifter,my mate had the raleigh burner,and yeah he had the full face moto x helmet,jealousy was high...lol

I had a handmedown Grifter meself. Black and Red. Three gears that you changed with the twist of the handle. Heavy beast she was!

iamstop wrote: »
    I had a handmedown Grifter meself. Black and Red. Three gears that you changed with the twist of the handle. Heavy beast she was!

pmsl yeah same as that,mine was a hand me down,ahh a beast was right,stil lasted me years..lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Slow sets at Discos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Gangsta rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, which was my introduction to science fiction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Growing up in Mexico, it was quite poverish. And we couldn't afford driving into town a lot. We had a Jerusalem donkey we named Pablo. And he took us to town many a day with no complaints. He was 28 years old when he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

back when pasta was known as spaghetti

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My mam would scream at me to get off the internet as she wanted to use the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Every second car had a clothes hanger as an aerial.

rob316 wrote: »
    My mam would scream at me to get off the internet as she wanted to use the phone.
    My line was often engaged, people complained I never answered the phone!
    They never called when I wasn't online!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Deja Boo wrote: »
    back when pasta was known as spaghetti
    and came in a tin , quiet often as hoop's

coffee was maxwell house Granuel's [strong] or powder [weak] . you didn't need a two page menu to order a cup of coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

and came in a tin , quiet often as hoop's

coffee was maxwell house Granuel's [strong] or powder [weak] . you didn't need a two page menu to order a cup of coffee

Alphabet spaghetti with toast. Those were indeed the days.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Alphabet spaghetti with toast. Those were indeed the days.
    trying to spell your name , war would break out if you took a letter off siblings plate . Ma would intervene with the back of her hand to bring a cease fire..
    jaysus when ya think we had nothing

Advertisement