Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in my day...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Slow set especially when je t, aime was played

And Eric Clapton Wonderful Tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ryansmith171

ANY GOOD SONGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

We only had 3 channels on a small black and white tv set with rabbit ears wrapped in aluminium foil to boost the signal. And at 10:59 p.m ,the channels would go off-air until 6:00 a.m. Just realizing posting that makes me feel old,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Breaking ''the windows'' on your potato waffles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Grocery van would park at the end of the road. Fruit and veg, sweets if you had any pocket money left.
    Buster, Whizzer and Chips and Bunty for the girls once a week. Your surname would be written on the price tag cos you had a subscription with the local newsagent. You'd be ragin' if they missed a week
    Lad going around in the winter shouting COAL OR LOGS!
    Do lads still go around with mowers in the summer cutting grass? No shirt on, skinny lads always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The big snow of 82 , I think . 10ft snow drifts.
    Cycling through British army check points shouting "up the Ra"

Half the cars back then were bangers. Riddled with rust and exhausts tied up with baling twine. Rubber mud guards hanging off. Animal print seat covers and steering wheel covers. Pulling out the choke to get the car going. No power steering. Lucky to have a radio, never mind a fancy tape deck.
    I miss those days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

There was a man in dark clothes and carrying a big stick used to walk around our neighbourhood, terrorising all the gurriers. We called him Garda, wonder what ever happened to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

No phones to arrange meet ups. Just down to your local and the whole gang would be there.
    What happened when out was never seen again!!
    No Facebook or snapchat

Half the cars back then were bangers. Riddled with rust and exhausts tied up with baling twine. Rubber mud guards hanging off. Animal print seat covers and steering wheel covers. Pulling out the choke to get the car going. No power steering. Lucky to have a radio, never mind a fancy tape deck.
    I miss those days

And about 8 people squashed in for a road trip

• Advertisement

And about 8 people squashed in for a road trip

I was stopped at a checkpoint one night coming home from a disco. 7 of us in the car and a lad in the boot. I got a lecture about the crowd in the car, but he let me on. Luckily he didn't check the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was stopped at a checkpoint one night coming home from a disco. 7 of us in the car and a lad in the boot. I got a lecture about the crowd in the car, but he let me on. Luckily he didn't check the boot.

He would have thought there was a kidnapping!

branie2 wrote: »
    He would have thought there was a kidnapping!

Or a stoaway. "I have no idea how he got in there, your guardship"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

We had to change the TV channels on the TV itself via knob

I'm so old we never had to worry about changing channels when I was a kid because there was only 1 channel.

Which you could reach easily as there were no seatbelts in the back!

Or front, in the old Zephyr.

No phones to arrange meet ups.

Meet ye at Central bank at 2pm. If you're not there by 2:30 I'll be in Comet Records.

The place with the cool painted walls behind CB. Back when Temple Bar wasn't such a kip. Or maybe it was but I didn't notice. I remember the first time I saw the Bad Ass Cafe. Got a kick outta that one.

Never having pasta or rice. Spud veg and meat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The National Anthem was played at the end of the disco and lights turned up full !

My kids laughed at A. Calling it a disco and B. playing the National anthem

Right on about the lights coming on. Cue all the women scattering in droves away from the dancefloor while the guys are still standing there, shirt sleeves rolled up and covered in sweat trying to mumble the words of the Amhran.

Streets were empty during Italia 90 matches.
    Oo ah Paul McGrath
    Put 'em under pressure!
    Who put the ball in the English net?

iamstop wrote: »
    Streets were empty during Italia 90 matches.
    Oo ah Paul McGrath
    Put 'em under pressure!
    Who put the ball in the English net?

They were some days. Total blind support, it was brilliant.

• Advertisement

When the summers were so hot you went around barefoot squashing the melting tar on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Fizzlesticks for 2 p and the awful day fizzbombs went up from 1/2p to 1p

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

You slept out your back garden with your mates tent and stashed cans over the wall to collect after-dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Esho wrote: »
    Fizzlesticks for 2 p and the awful day fizzbombs went up from 1/2p to 1p

On April fools day, you'd replace their chalk with fiddlesticks thinking you were so clever.... Our teachers had the grace to go along with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Brilliant thread. Nostalgia almighty.

We used to have boiled spare ribs every Saturday night for the Late Late Show. Feckin gorgeous they were, dripping down your fingers, and so tender, thanks mammy RIP. But we were sent to bed before the bishops and the nighties came on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Everyone went to Mass

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Everyone went to Mass

Or pretended they did. We used to go to 5.30 pm Mass on a Sunday, in the days when it was held. We walked around and went into the church at the end. Had it timed, so that Biddy up the road could verify we were there.

The parents were at the 12 noon Mass in the choir, great singers, but we had to put the dinner on, so were hoofed out at 5 to go to evening Mass. We had more fun dodging it LOL. Happy Days really.

Everyone went to Mass

And confession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

The back seat of the Hillman Minx :cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Marhay70 wrote: »
    There was a man in dark clothes and carrying a big stick used to walk around our neighbourhood, terrorising all the gurriers. We called him Garda, wonder what ever happened to him?

Come on now....

Who remembers Lugs Brannigan?

Advertisement