Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in my day...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Chocolate cigarettes, hook em young

Harp Larger everywhere

Yorkie bars, not for girls. That packaging wouldn’t be acceptable with outraged twitter users these days

504870.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shellzzz

My mothers cure all,😶 Milk of Magnesium,the blood still drains out of me to this day when I spot the big blue bottle in the chemist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Chocolate cigarettes, hook em young

Harp Larger everywhere

Yorkie bars, not for girls. That packaging wouldn’t be acceptable with outraged twitter users these days

504870.jpeg

I'm in no means a feminazi but I stopped eating yorkies after that campaign. Up to that point I'd eaten them fairly regularly.

Figured if they didn't want my money fair enough, plenty of other chocolate on the market.

I still don't understand why a business would deliberately alienate 50% of its market.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

That you opened with a handle.*

*winder or whatever you'd call it.

I opened mine by pulling on a little glass block .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Jacobs goldgrain. Gone but not forgotten!

Honourable mention to crossfire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Marietta biscuits.

There used to be colouring competitions in the Sunday press, I think we cut tokens from the biscuit wrappers and sent them off with our efforts. I Never won. But I do distinctly remember getting markers from Santa and doing my colouring up on the landing on bloody Sunday january 1972. The radio was on downstairs and every so often another death was announced. It seemed like it went all day but I think all the shootings were carried out within an hour. Whenever I smell the ink in colouring markers it brings me right back to that day I on the landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

and came in a tin , quiet often as hoop's

coffee was maxwell house Granuel's [strong] or powder [weak] . you didn't need a two page menu to order a cup of coffee
    Alphabet spaghetti with toast. Those were indeed the days.

Some of those came with extra apostrophes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Little plastic toys in the Cornflakes , I remember collecting a set of dogs and vague memories of a plastic airplane landing in my bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

Holy Duck wrote: »
    Still is on my Tv

Teletext Soccer...

Page 302 on Ceefax. If you couldn't get BBC Radio, you'd be there from 4:40pm on a Sat, waiting as the page continually refreshed until it got to Full Time. The stress!

Also, all weekend matches were at 3pm on a Sat, with one match featured in Match of the Day.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Little plastic toys in the Cornflakes , I remember collecting a set of dogs and vague memories of a plastic airplane landing in my bowl

They also had plastic boats you put baking soda or similar into and then the boat into water. The soda would fizz propelling the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

Consey wrote: »
    Teletext Soccer...

Page 302 on Ceefax. If you couldn't get BBC Radio, you'd be there from 4:40pm on a Sat, waiting as the page continually refreshed until it got to Full Time. The stress!

Also, all weekend matches were at 3pm on a Sat, with one match featured in Match of the Day.......

.... And Aertel (RTE teletext) was notoriously unreliable for scores. If either team's score was updated you had to double check on Ceefax (BBC), as they would often show the score to the wrong team.

Of course, for GAA updates, there was only Aertel, so the score updates were pretty random. In Aertel world, Waterford could be beating Kerry in football.......

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

The "rush hour" started at 815

We played The Witcher 3 on the PC, not on the Nintendo Switch like the kids have it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

You could get out of bed in the morning, switch on TV and watch an old black and white Hollywood movie. Most of these are not out on DVD and are forgotten. Now today's generation think Little Women is original.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,116 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Consey wrote: »
    Teletext Soccer...

This !!! I think it was 222 on aertel for the live score but ceefax 302 was miles faster, by about 10 minutes a goal :pac: still 222 was good for the Irish goals as you could get them nowhere else although it seemed to be about 40 minutes between goal and updates.

Ohhh and the overall teletext football experience ...If your team had only been winning 1-0 you’d be changing page and back again franticly hoping that no equalizer was forthcoming, looking at the clock as you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,594 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Mowing the lawn with a engineless lawnmower.
    We had a pretty sizable lawn and I was the champion arm wrestler in 1st class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This thread makes me think of my cousin's three-year old son. He talks like an ould lad- everytime I show him a picture of somewhere I've been he's always 'oh yeah I was there when I was a baby' :D

As for me, I remember when all of this were just fields

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Researching school projects using big heavy encyclopedia Britannia books and photocopying he required pages at the library.

Now the kids can just ask Alexa or google it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Researching school projects using big heavy encyclopedia Britannia books and photocopying he required pages at the library.

Now the kids can just ask Alexa or google it...

And doing maths homework with the theory in the maths book alone! Ugh. Always failed, cos the homework questions were a lot harder than the ones in the book. Urgh, if only we had access to internet back then.

Space Invaders in the chipper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Kids with behavioural or disciplinary problems weren't diagnosed with made-up nonsense like ADHD - they got sent to boarding schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

vriesmays wrote: »
    Kids with behavioural or disciplinary problems weren't diagnosed with made-up nonsense like ADHD - they got sent to boarding schools.

Nowadays if they have a “D” they gets lots of things free.
    It pays to have a D i.e. ADHD, ADD etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,116 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My mother frequently says the same... “feck all this adhd, they are just being bold, the PlayStation would be relocated to the attic till they wanted to behave themselves”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

They got a couple of clatters and manners put on them, in school and at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

Every Summer we set up a tennis court in the backyard (inspired by Wimbledon)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

7 years of age and I got two buses each way to school. Used to forgo the shorter bus journey some days and spend the penny bus fare on a Captain Spearmint bar for the walk home.

Not too many years later, a fiver would get you a bus to the disco and back, entry in, a nagan of smirnoff and 10 Rothmans. Sorted.

7 years of age and I got two buses each way to school. Used to forgo the shorter bus journey some days and spend the penny bus fare on a Captain Spearmint bar for the walk home.

Not too many years later, a fiver would get you a bus to the disco and back, entry in, a nagan of smirnoff and 10 Rothmans. Sorted.

Rothmans!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Esho wrote: »
    Rothmans!

Major and Woodbines too for the serious smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Or even Reform School. One of the threats brandished at disruptive kids in my time was they would end up in Artane or Daingean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

2 litre of cider an 10 john player blue for a fiver

a cheap nights entertainment

Advertisement