Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in my day...

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Don't know if it has been referred to already, but anyway.... In our house a Saturday night involved a rake of spare ribs boiled up in the steamy kitchen in advance of the Late Late Show. None of your BBQ ****e there. God how lovely they were, dripping with grease, so tasty, but once there was a hint of the sex word or anything like it we were packed off to bed.

Innocent times alright.

All this barbecue, yuppy shi*e has driven the price of ribs through the roof. I remember going in to Buckley's in Moore St and getting a whole heap of fresh pork ribs for about 30p, now they're 5 or 6 euro a kilo. Buying ribs by weight does not make sense when they're mostly bone.
    We'd boil them in a pot for about two hours with just an onion and then mop our plates with fresh loaf bread and butter. Real heart attack stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Thruppenny ice-cream cut from a block, sandwiched between two wafers
    on Sunday after mass, if you were well off maybe a sixpenny one.
    Not to be eaten , licked only, around the outside and squeezed as you went
    to push the ice-cream out, until you ended up with a spread of ice-cream
    between 2 soggy wafers,-that was my favourite bit.
    Two shops in the village, one, the 'big shop' had a measure they put on
    the block to mark out maybe 12 thruppenny cuts.
    Other shop -off the main drag,used no such measure, and you could get
    whatever you could afford 2d, 4d, whatever you had in your pocket.
    The shopkeeper ,lovely old fella, would measure roughly and look you in the eye
    before cutting ,a little wink and he'd move the knife ,giving a bit extra.
    Some of his thruppenny ones were nearly as big as the'big shop's' sixpenny ones.
    His missus was not so generous, but she was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Thruppenny ice-cream cut from a block, sandwiched between two wafers
    on Sunday after mass, if you were well off maybe a sixpenny one.
    Not to be eaten , licked only, around the outside and squeezed as you went
    to push the ice-cream out, until you ended up with a spread of ice-cream
    between 2 soggy wafers,-that was my favourite bit.
    Two shops in the village, one, the 'big shop' had a measure they put on
    the block to mark out maybe 12 thruppenny cuts.
    Other shop -off the main drag,used no such measure, and you could get
    whatever you could afford 2d, 4d, whatever you had in your pocket.
    The shopkeeper ,lovely old fella, would measure roughly and look you in the eye
    before cutting ,a little wink and he'd move the knife ,giving a bit extra.
    Some of his thruppenny ones were nearly as big as the'big shop's' sixpenny ones.
    His missus was not so generous, but she was ok.

I remember that measure, a bit like a concrete edger turned on end. In my day it measured out tuppeny wafers and a fourpenny was a real doorstep. I used to do the exact same thing with the licking around the sides, on a warm summer day it was a race to beat it melting which would have been an unforgiveable sin. As a real treat you might get a cone with a scoop of ice cream and a dash of raspberry cordial, pure ecstasy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Some of the icecream vans that would go around the estate would but a penny chewing gum at the bottom of the cone so as all the melted icecream wouldn't gather at the bottom and melt a hole in the cone and drip everywhere. When that was happening it was always too late by the time you found out. You'd be a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

iamstop wrote: »
    Some of the icecream vans that would go around the estate would but a penny chewing gum at the bottom of the cone so as all the melted icecream wouldn't gather at the bottom and melt a hole in the cone and drip everywhere. When that was happening it was always too late by the time you found out. You'd be a mess.
    That was called a screw ball they were delicious

• Advertisement

I remember the commercial radio stations used to actually compete before they all got bought up by the same media company. At least I assume that's what happened. You see the 104 van going around in swarms.
    People used to have car window stickers for 104 or 2FM depending on where their alliance lay.
    Which one had the 'phrase that pays'? If you were like 9th caller or something you could win money.
    Nowadays radio is sh1te

... there was two settings for climate control in the car.
    Windows closed and windows open.

Back in my day, the indicators popped out from the panel between the front and back doors. If they weren’t working, the driver opened his window and used various signs to indicate his intention.

Back in my day, the indicators popped out from the panel between the front and back doors. If they weren’t working, the driver opened his window and used various signs to indicate his intention.
    ... after giving it a thump to try and free it up!

... after giving it a thump to try and free it up!

And some colourful language!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

TV shut down at night.
    Vcrs
    Shops near schools sold single fags .
    Garda/army checkpoints
    Live soccer on terrestrial TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Parcels came tied up with string

Potatoes were in at least 5 of 7 dinners a week.
    The other two days were either salad or pasta.
    TBH sometimes the salad had potatoes on the side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

by pasta i presume you mean spaghetti hoops?

In my day, boiled spuds were part of the dinner 7 days a week! On the rare occasion that any were left over, they were either fried or made into potato salad for tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

We travelled to our summer caravan in an estate car with mattresses in the back and it took hours

by pasta i presume you mean spaghetti hoops?

No, the Ma would buy round steak mince, spagetti and a jar of Dolmio or Ragu and make spag bol.
    If we were lucky there would be a bit of grated cheese to sprinkle on top. Washed down with TK red lemonade.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, the Ma would buy round steak mince, spagetti and a jar of Dolmio or Ragu and make spag bol.
    If we were lucky there would be a bit of grated cheese to sprinkle on top. Washed down with TK red lemonade.

how posh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

In my day, boiled spuds were part of the dinner 7 days a week! On the rare occasion that any were left over, they were either fried or made into potato salad for tea.

Or potato bread

how posh

Not really. There were 5 kids so it was all bulk bought. My Ma believed in bulk buying and making most things from elements rather than buying prepacked dinners. I think it was actually more economical than buying enough Alphabetti to feed us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Back in the day, Charlie was the milkman in mornings, the coal man by 1pm and ice cream man at 5pm in his converted VW van. Plain or strawberry ripple in wafers, double or single, Charlie had a a port wine stain on his hand, my grandad used to say sure Charlie would pierce it and squirt in to plain ice cream to make the ripple.:D

• Advertisement

Washed down with TK red lemonade.

Used to lump a bit of ice cream into TK lemonade as well

mad m wrote: »
    Used to lump a bit of ice cream into TK lemonade as well

I do remember those. Used to devour jelly and ice cream and birthday parties too! Must be about 30 years since I had jelly and ice cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

If a child gave you lip you could give them a well deserved wallop.

If a child gave you lip you could give them a well deserved wallop.

Did you ever receive a well deserved kick in the nads?

Grushy mister, grushy.

Used to love playing knock a dolly. Tying thread onto door knocker and hiding behind wall. Used to be splitting sides laughing. You’d see people in house doing a Bruce lee mid air trying to break thread once they copped it.

Advertisement