Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

pauldry wrote: »
    Monday could be interesting

Or Tuesday.

Malin Heads total might be beaten in a few hours.

Joanna was on the gargle obviously. Ya wouldnt trip over your words that much in sobriety unless you were Michael Martin

That’s very unfair to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

pauldry wrote: »
    Monday could be interesting

Or Tuesday.

Malin Heads total might be beaten in a few hours.

Joanna was on the gargle obviously. Ya wouldnt trip over your words that much in sobriety unless you were Michael Martin

You can’t be talking about Joanna like that on boards don’t ya know! They’ll have yer head on a stick for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I like her she gives an honest opinion and doesn't really care what you or me think!
    Looks thundery during Wed/Thurs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Currently most of the activity Monday over the UK and over waters between Ireland and the UK. How much will stray close to or in over the Irish coast ? Will have to wait and see maps closer to the time.

KZVofPR.gif

dzXUPGb.gif

xPyHJfW.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Thanks Meteorite. I want Monday to be completely dry in the Laois area. Do you currently think there is a good chance of that. The rain seems to be be only just making landfall. I wonder could it likely pan out like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The rain seems to be be only just making landfall.

Models look divided at the moment, from showing mostly missing and staying over water to some heavy showers up along coastal counties. Couldn't call it, very close.

anim_qco9.gif

Thanks Meteorite. I appreciate your response. If you notice a more definite trend tomorrow and you have time, it would be helpful to know the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

eon1208 wrote: »
    Thanks Meteorite. I appreciate your response. If you notice a more definite trend tomorrow and you have time, it would be helpful to know the odds.

In the nature of that weather setup, it'll be showery in the eastern half of the Country. Will the showers be significant, maybe. Will they get as far inland Laois, also maybe. Will they be sporadic, yes.

It'll be a nowcast situation, keep an eye on the rain radar.

ECM edging the potential for heavy showers, thunderstorm activity closer to the SE, E and NE on the latest run. Still not full model consensus and a deal of unpredictability in this set up as reflected by Met Eireanns forecast : Warm again tomorrow with some spells of hazy sunshine though more cloud around generally especially in parts of the north and east. Much of the country staying dry with just isolated sharp showers breaking out. However, it is likely that heavy showers and thunderstorms will move across Ulster during the afternoon and evening. Parts of Leinster, especially near the coast, may see some showers or thunderstorms too at any stage through the day, though they may stay out at sea. Highest temperatures of 19 to 25 degrees, warmest over Munster. Winds will be light and northerly or variable in direction

MT mentions showers or thunderstorms possible by mid morning in parts of the SE, E and central counties.

No doubt big instability from the slow moving trough coinciding with peak diurnal heating, plenty of lift around Wales, very high temperatures across the water, up to about 30c near Bristol and high Dp's of around 18C near Wales and up around 16C around the SE, E.

Low level shear with convergence zones over the sea, Deep layer shear available, where showers occur could be very heavy if they come onshore, a lot of available moisture available.

The all important AROME just rolling out, where it wasn't showing shower activity it now is in the SE, E, NE, N and some moving inland possible also into central counties as MT mentioned. More to be gleaned from the models as they roll out today.

1rkWEVN.png

w12L8he.gif

LNW6BC3.gif

ZYhAvlj.png

cA80u4g.png

anim_mjo1.gif

anim_led1.gif

Thanks Meteorite. I was feeling after Mets forecast that the odds were in favour of dry. All week they gave thunderstorms and now the storms don't make it inland except in the north. I will plan on tomorrow being dry. The odds look better today than they did all week. I know its fickle though. We'll see. Fingers crossed. Maybe the later models will give clarity. BTW what is the Arome model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Not looking good for most of us tomorrow

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1292437748738031617?s=19

Rain is missing Ireland on that map. Cloud and heat is the order of the day.

Wouldn't be so quick to discount rain and thunderstorm potential. The HARMONIE has upgraded since to show rainfall making its way inland and the ECM 06Z has also increased the potential again for some heavy rainfall in places and increased thunderstorm potential as has most of the European models apart from the EURO 4.

VfxoBf1.gif

8UHjIRM.png

vMU0czD.gif

PsUyaC2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Might be a few rouge strikes in the SE tonight? Clouds just west of Cornwall look like potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, it's looking good for Laois to stay dry, but in these kind of setups showers could appear anywhere in the East, so rain can't be ruled out 100 per cent, especially closer to the east and south east coast

ECM bringing the risk even further onto the coast for thundery activity tomorrow evening

607-E3208-0038-4-B34-A412-467585-BD4820.jpg

Thanks guys. I like to study the weather. I have 4 acres of hay on the ground. It is extremely hard, sometimes almost impossible to make quality hay in Ireland. Its not ready until Tuesday. I was going to put plastic around it. More expensive that but soft clean hay is so much nicer than silage. I have decided to go for it. Its a gamble but the forecast is pointing to a dry 48 hours. Meteorite " I'm definitely not taking it for granted. Its a big gamble. Fingers crossed and I appreciate the forecast. I like to study it hay or no hay..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Danno wrote: »
    Might be a few rouge strikes in the SE tonight? Clouds just west of Cornwall look like potential.

Looks like something bubbling up out to sea off the south

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks guys. I like to study the weather. I have 4 acres of hay on the ground. It is extremely hard, sometimes almost impossible to make quality hay in Ireland. Its not ready until Tuesday. I was going to put plastic around it. More expensive that but soft clean hay is so much nicer than silage. I have decided to go for it. Its a gamble but the forecast is pointing to a dry 48 hours. Meteorite " I'm definitely not taking it for granted. Its a big gamble. Fingers crossed and I appreciate the forecast. I like to study it hay or no hay..

Have a hay field rented out. He cut and turned 4 acres with great care. Needed another half day and had to call in the baler and wrapper before the rain came. Such was life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

No mention of thunderstorms on Dublin airport TAF,just a small chance of a heavy shower

TAF

TAF EIDW 092300Z 1000/1024 31004KT 9999 FEW012 SCT040
    PROB40 TEMPO 1002/1007 4000 BR BKN008
    PROB40 TEMPO 1007/1010 BKN008
    BECMG 1008/1010 04007KT
    PROB30 TEMPO 1015/1021 4000 SHRA BKN012 SCT040CB
    BECMG 1018/1020 35005KT
    PROB40 TEMPO 1021/1024 BKN012
    BECMG 1022/1024 28005KT

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers gathering now off the SE coast now. Some sferics in Devon/Cornwall.

Sparking away merrily too in south Wales over the Brecon Beacons

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cooljaybeans

Looks to be heading towards wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks to be heading towards wexford

Looks like making landfall further north, more likely to be Wicklow and dare I say it but Dublin is at risk with the current trajectory and intensity. All subject to change, of course!

Seem to be loosing their charge crossing the sea :rolleyes:

Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms today and tonight, with lightning, hail and a risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Monday 10/08/2020 to 08:00 Tuesday 11/08/2020

Issued: 11:00 Monday 10/08/2020

Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms today and tonight, with lightning, hail and a risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Monday 10/08/2020 to 08:00 Tuesday 11/08/2020

Issued: 11:00 Monday 10/08/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

the views across the Irish sea from Howth and Dalkey could be entertaining.

the potential is there all week, weak low pressure with bands moving from SE to NW.

Advertisement