Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

ECM showing even higher nearer the E later Thursday evening, gong to be sweaty !!

921I2bp.png

Someone should tell the makers of those maps though that Ballykissangel is a fictional village from a BBC series and that it's real name should be on that map ie Avoca Co Wicklow !

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Looks like the thunderstorm risk for the east coast is dissapating. I read something similar on the weather outlook site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

At the moment looks like getting up to 25 or 26C on Thursday and up around 30C in the UK. High DP's. A lot of energy there but how much will move in over Ireland or will it move up along the coasts or more over towards the UK. Wind direction keeping bulk of the action over the sea atm it would seem but still a reasonable chance of storms more so up along the SE, E and NE I reckon. Huge areas of convergence up along the Irish sea and overland also, could even see a few home grown cells pop up inland on Thurs, loads of moisture to be evaporated after all the rain and with all that heat. LLS and DLS good.

Knife edge stuff.

ya82fAb.png

7Qswzve.gif

O3QksjH.gif

6gORiw1.gif

rOrnWUU.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Looks like the thunderstorm risk for the east coast is dissapating. I read something similar on the weather outlook site.

you do get that this is changing almost hourly right?

if your going to keep being all doom and gloom can you at least provide your source for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Should change your username to Little pessimistic old me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE and HARMONIE showing Temperatures of 32 and 33C in the UK on Thurs, now if the winds shifted more from the SE.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Clear shift East in the projections tonight across all models!! Still good chances for the East Coast and Dublin area but for the rest of us (aka cork) we need a shift back West tomorrow morning��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Anything +4hours is almost FI in these situations.
    Enjoying all the data you guys are providing, as an observer you learn more from these knife edge situations than from direct hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Gonzo wrote: »
    No matter which route they take, they will avoid County Meath, they always do!

And Greystones, living here 10 years waiting for an awesome plume. I may continue waiting. Used to live in Meath too so I feel your pain

• Registered Users Posts: 23,574 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Would you be prepared to guess a rough time line from southeast to top of the east?

For Thursday? As I read it showers kicking off by early afternoon on southeast coasts and in the south Irish sea and looks like pulses will have developed quickly northward up and down the coast by early evening and the action ongoing in to the late early hours of Friday morning to sun rise.

That's as things stand...but as we all know things can be fickle...

I expect a light show though at this stage to be perfectly honest, it's about as primed as it ever gets here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So... About Cork City then? Nah?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,574 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So... About Cork City then? Nah?

Still quite possible but you are being greedy now.

Big shift W from the latest ICON run bringing potential right up over the country. Showing high Cape values.

UKMO also showing precipitation up along the center of the country and showing very high 850hpa temps move up along the E coast. I will hear the thunder from here :pac:

ARPEGE 12Z more keeping to the Eastern side of the country.

GFS showing very high Dp's, high CAPE readings inland in the Eastern half of the country and plenty of moisture and wanting to spark off storms early in the day, but atm this seems to be only model showing this so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭pad199207

I do believe we have a west shift this evening on the pub run.
    This is the GFS and actually has precip breaking out early on Thursday.

I’m still remaining on the fence but looking at the charts today the potential is there for quite the show up the SE and E Thursday night into Friday. But as I said I’m
    not getting too excited yet but if these charts are still showing the same come Thursday morning I’ll be getting a few Cold bottles ready.

1-A94-A363-05-BA-4769-8-EFC-BB65-FCAFE996.jpg

Latest ARPEGE 18Z rolling out and full of intrigue.
    Showing widespread mid 20's on Thurs, Dp high teens and even seeing 20C.
    850hpa temps from 10C in the W to 14C in the E
    High Cape values in places getting up over 1000 j/kjg and and heavy rain / thunderstorm potential now cover a lot more area inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Latest ARPEGE 18Z rolling out and full of intrigue.
    Showing widespread mid 20's on Thurs, Dp high teens and even seeing 20C.
    850hpa temps from 10C in the W to 14C in the E
    High Cape values in places getting up over 1000 j/kjg and and heavy rain / thunderstorm potential now cover a lot more area inland.

thanks very much to you and the others providing updates! Makes it worth staying up for one more look :p

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    thanks very much to you and the others providing updates! Makes it worth staying up for one more look :p

I hope it's worth it in the end !!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

UKMO is tasty,

UW48-21_rih8.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The Met Eireann 7 day rainfall chart is now showing very intense rainfall for Thursday into Friday morning. Just missing Dublin but running in an arc from Waterford through the midlands and into Donegal/NI

In general the models now showing potential of widespread thunderstorms across Ireland from Thursday Afternoon.

ECM showing 25C to 26C over a wide area, Dp's high teens. Looking potentially very lively with storms breaking out in the S and moving up the country, I think anywhere could get storms at this stage but probably favouring the Eastern half of the country most. Can see an advisory coming out and warnings to follow. Could see some intense storms. No hype just what I'm interpreting from the charts. Can't post models as in a hurry.

Interested in what others think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

Cape values generally between 500 and 900 across the country combined with Deep moisture convection anywhere could see thunderstorms

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Most of the models have upgraded the potential and spread it further West, so the Eastern 2/3rds of the country in with a shout now. Can post models now, but here's ME's HARMONIE from this morning.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1275665676552876032?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

During the afternoon the surface-based CAPE will not be spectacular but should allow some isolated storms to form inland, especially north midlands and Ulster, where shear will be greater. Later in the evening convection will switch to elevated as we get some lift from the upper trough to the west, so a window of 6 hours or so for MUCAPE to try to do its business. Best MUCAPE occurs before midnight but out in the Irish Sea, generated by uplift from the Welsh mountains. In that area the forecast sounding shows the parcel level at around 920 hPa, with a very stable boundary layer below it. Over land, MUCAPE is much lower, so we'll be trying to squeeze every little bit out of it and the upper trough.

517569.png

517570.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Some intense showers over central-southern Ireland tomorrow afternoon-evening on the latest UKMO forecast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS5-xqHrRP4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Danno wrote: »
    Some intense showers over central-southern Ireland tomorrow afternoon-evening on the latest UKMO forecast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS5-xqHrRP4

Screen grabs of that attached for 4 pm and then 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Haven't really been keeping up with this and on my phone at the moment but looking at the HARMONIE posted above it looks like we might even be in with a shout up here in Donegal. I can count on one hand the number of 'storms' I've seen since moving back to Ireland 3 years ago so I'd even be happy with with a short lived pulse storm at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

Haven't really been keeping up with this and on my phone at the moment but looking at the HARMONIE posted above it looks like we might even be in with a shout up here in Donegal. I can count on one hand the number of 'storms' I've seen since moving back to Ireland 3 years ago so I'd even be happy with with a short lived pulse storm at this stage

Yellow countrywide thunderstorm warning issued by Met Eireann for tomorrow evening, night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Ireland

Heavy thunderstorms are expected to develop later on Thursday and Thursday night with some severe downpours, hail and spot flooding. Due to the localised nature of thunderstorms some parts of the country will remain dry.

Valid: 16:00 Thursday 25/06/2020 to 09:00 Friday 26/06/2020

Issued: 13:00 Wednesday 24/06/2020

Whilst many places will be dry or see little rain, thunderstorms may cause flooding and disruption in a few places.

Northern Ireland Warnings
    Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

UK Met Office Weather Warning

Whilst many places will be dry or see little rain, thunderstorms may cause flooding and disruption in a few places.

Valid: 16:00 Thursday 25/06/2020 to 09:00 Friday 26/06/2020

Issued: 10:16 Wednesday 24/06/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thursday July 25th and Friday July 26th 1985
    Thursday June 25th and Friday June 26th 2020

34 years and 11 months.

Could it be? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Danno wrote: »
    Thursday July 25th and Friday July 26th 1985
    Thursday June 25th and Friday June 26th 2020