Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Bob Flavin (motoring journalist) & his views on EVs

  • 01-03-2020 9:37pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ Kramer


    I just caught some of Bob's weekly podcast earlier & was surprised by his largely antagonistic attitude to EVs. He has an EQC apparently at present & seems very uninformed with regards to charging speeds.
    He quite likely has a 16A cable as he can only draw 3kW from his home chargepoint, but says he can pull 7kW from ECars SCPs. He is aggrieved he can't get the full 22kW.
    He confused kW & kWh & bounced between chargers & charge points (I hate that :D)

    He referred to the EQC as "a paperweight" & said it was useless :eek:.

    He also intimated EVs can stop abruptly on the motorway & pose a significant safety hazard. He said EVs can't be put into neutral & thus can't be towed or pushed...............

    He said heating water with salt in it produces hydrogen. He said hydrogen fuels atomic bombs & if a hydrogen fuel station went up, it would wipe out a whole town, basically like an atomic bomb :eek:.

    I forget how many other inaccuracies were in there (I didn't even listen much past half way).
    If I was considering an EV I'd certainly be looking at staying in an ICE after watching Bob today. I must say, I was very disappointed.


«13456713

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭ 0lddog


    All true journalists never let the facts get in the way of a good storey :D


    ( ran his name thru a search engine - still dont know what rag he journalists for )


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ Kramer




    :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭ 0lddog


    :eek: 2 hour 10 minute 'tube video :rolleyes:


    Does someone need help ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,515 ✭✭✭✭ Lumen


    0lddog wrote: »
    :eek: 2 hour 10 minute 'tube video :rolleyes:

    He does the same thing as Bjorn does, if you ask a question he says the answer is in another two hour video. :pac:

    I guess it's for people who work in the trade and/or have nothing better to do with their time.

    He was slagging off another YouTuber today for, amongst other things, making 5-10 min videos. Hmmm.


  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 31,042 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mickeroo


    0lddog wrote: »
    :eek: 2 hour 10 minute 'tube video :rolleyes:


    Does someone need help ?

    That's a live stream, his normal vids are regular length, car reviews and the like.

    He's not actually staunch anti EV really, he does come across as very misinformed on some things but he's quite enthusiastic about them at other times which seems a bit odd.

    He's gone to a fair few IEVOA gatherings and been involved with a few EV conferences and things around the country.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭ JohnC.


    I’ve watched some of his EV videos. I never felt he came across as anti-EV. He seems to enjoy driving them. Even the Twizzy. His knowledge of them is just a bit lacking.


  • Registered Users Posts: 40 159conor


    I have heard him say you get hydrogen from water by boiling it more than once. The mixing up of kW and kWh drives me mad. Link to the timestamp about hydrogen in his video https://youtu.be/pop9RVMkbGA?t=1305


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,916 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    And to think he is probably one of the better informed Irish motoring journos out there :(

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭ kanuseeme


    159conor wrote: »
    I have heard him say you get hydrogen from water by boiling it more than once. The mixing up of kW and kWh drives me mad. Link to the timestamp about hydrogen in his video https://youtu.be/pop9RVMkbGA?t=1305

    Its not boiling per say but heating it up to about 3000 C, some gen 4 reactors could do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mJ3S-VQuHY 4.16 minutes


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog


    Most of the time I find him good on EVs. I think he's been quite critical on the Premium Electric SUVs which are super heavy and as such very inefficient.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    I've seen him at IEVOA agms and events.
    He hasn't a clue of the proper EV parlance but do people who drive fossil fuel cars generally use the right words for EGR and DPF? They just drive...

    The EQC and the ETron like it, are just paperweights. Crap compared to Tesla, less range, more inefficient, less charging speed or opportunities. When big auto wants to play the EV game I'm sure they will outspend Tesla and blow them out of the park with a 1000km range EV with 350kW charging but they are no where near that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭ ei9go


    You can't take him seriously.

    He has a review of a Passat GTE PHEV which he left uncharged for the review!

    The one thing everybody wanted to know is how far it went in EV mode.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Kramer wrote: »
    I just caught some of Bob's weekly podcast earlier & was surprised by his largely antagonistic attitude to EVs. He has an EQC apparently at present & seems very uninformed with regards to charging speeds.
    He quite likely has a 16A cable as he can only draw 3kW from his home chargepoint, but says he can pull 7kW from ECars SCPs. He is aggrieved he can't get the full 22kW.
    He confused kW & kWh & bounced between chargers & charge points (I hate that :D)

    He referred to the EQC as "a paperweight" & said it was useless :eek:.

    He also intimated EVs can stop abruptly on the motorway & pose a significant safety hazard. He said EVs can't be put into neutral & thus can't be towed or pushed...............

    He said heating water with salt in it produces hydrogen. He said hydrogen fuels atomic bombs & if a hydrogen fuel station went up, it would wipe out a whole town, basically like an atomic bomb :eek:.

    I forget how many other inaccuracies were in there (I didn't even listen much past half way).
    If I was considering an EV I'd certainly be looking at staying in an ICE after watching Bob today. I must say, I was very disappointed.
    If he's anti hydrogen then thats a good few points in his "PRO" column


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,515 ✭✭✭✭ Lumen


    ELM327 wrote: »
    The EQC and the ETron like it, are just paperweights. Crap compared to Tesla, less range, more inefficient, less charging speed or opportunities.
    They have objectively much better cabin refinement (lower noise) and subjectively better interior materials.

    The etron also has very fast charging and a decent top buffer.

    They are not paperweights.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Lumen wrote: »
    They have objectively much better cabin refinement (lower noise) and subjectively better interior materials.

    The etron also has very fast charging and a decent top buffer.

    They are not paperweights.
    Yes, better interior "premium" for sure.


    THey do not have better charging speeds. The ETron charges at 150kW sustained but as it's so much less efficient, the rate in terms of range gained is much lower than Tesla


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭ Wildly Boaring


    Nobby had the Etron lately

    https://youtu.be/6yEWEtbc7vA

    Relatively impressed


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,515 ✭✭✭✭ Lumen


    ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes, better interior "premium" for sure.

    THey do not have better charging speeds. The ETron charges at 150kW sustained but as it's so much less efficient, the rate in terms of range gained is much lower than Tesla

    For people who have access to fast charging (e.g. Ionity), the e-tron is a good car.

    Bjorn did a back-to-back 1000km test of the Model X and e-tron 55 last September, and they got the same time, around 10:15.

    He said:

    "My point is that there are alternatives. If you don't want to have a Tesla, you want to have an EV with premium stuff, you can get an etron".

    This video about 38 minutes in.



  • Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Absolutely .
    But the range is less, the charging speed is slower in real terms. However it feels like a premium german SUV.

    Good review here on fifth gear showing the pros and cons of both.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh9v7zludUs


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭ Old diesel


    Wouldn't panic lads.

    If you look at the main motors section you will see a thread about Mazda 6 2.2 diesel issues.

    Ask someone like Bob and he will probably tell you the Mazda is a great chariot.

    The real world input from sites like boards and wider social media wins out eventually.

    Someone drew Bob's attention to this thread on twitter and his reply was "does boards still exist".

    Mark N is passing him out rapidly imo


  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 31,042 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mickeroo


    Who is Mark N?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Who is Mark N?

    Nobby on cars he's here on boards...you'll probably find him drooling over a 640d before an EV the same as Bob and I'd agree with both of them...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMKLV2Fehfuw-E3eoXsulDQ


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    and he's probably the only chap here to literally hammer a Tesla:D


  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 31,042 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mickeroo


    Nobby on cars he's here on boards...you'll probably find him drooling over a 640d before an EV the same as Bob and I'd agree with both of them...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMKLV2Fehfuw-E3eoXsulDQ

    Will give him a look cheers.

    Nothing wrong with drooling over a nice car :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    Find his Tesla post, the young fella got trapped inside and he went at it with a lump hammer to get him out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭ Lantus


    Will check out the vid but generally he is balanced about all cars. Loves a good few ev's and dislikes others. Has a good understanding of the flawed economic arguments a lot of people use to convince us a 40k ev will save us money. (spoiler, a 12k car will save more money...)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭ jusmeig


    Lantus wrote: »
    Will check out the vid but generally he is balanced about all cars. Loves a good few ev's and dislikes others. Has a good understanding of the flawed economic arguments a lot of people use to convince us a 40k ev will save us money. (spoiler, a 12k car will save more money...)

    It could be true...what is your 12k car and how would said flawed economic person charge their 40k wonder car?


  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ Gile_na_gile


    It's YT so you take your pic and run with whatever or whoever confirms your own biases.

    Bob has his good points, and has lots of knowledge based on talking to drivers and dealers, but will clearly ad lib entirely factfree nonsense. Also wears sunglasses over his crown - I hate that (and Bjorn licks his dog's face, and is always slurping food).

    The other guy, Nobby, reminds me of Dan Pilkington, but he is similarly likeable to me (and not really like Dan Pilkington). His review on the LEAF was informed for someone who reviews a lot of ICEs as one must.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭ duploelabs


    I've watched a few of his videos, mainly because he's an Irish reviewer. Couldn't manage any more as I found him to have all the charisma and knowledge in front of the camera of Alan Partridge. Half expected him to say 'Lexii' at one stage


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,676 ✭✭✭✭ beauf


    I like Bob. Watched him build his channel from nothing. He comes across more as reporter than car nut, maybe I'm mistaken. Either way that's ok, it's just a different perspective. Also it gives you an insight into the Irish motor industry etc. He does a load of work to make that content. I look forward to his videos dropping. He's only getting better. I don't always agree with him and he's not always right. But so what. Thumbs up for Bob.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭ Lantus


    beauf wrote: »
    I like Bob. Watched him build his channel from nothing. He comes across more as reporter than car nut, maybe I'm mistaken. Either way that's ok, it's just a different perspective. Also it gives you an insight into the Irish motor industry etc. He does a load of work to make that content. I look forward to his videos dropping. He's only getting better. I don't always agree with him and he's not always right. But so what. Thumbs up for Bob.

    +1. Listening to people that only say what you want to hear or nothing new or challenging is a pointless exercise. And hydrogen is very flammable. Korea and Asia are having safety issues. Not nuke issues but it's a concern currently.


Advertisement