Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bob Flavin (motoring journalist) & his views on EVs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What are motoring journalists for? They're supposed to experts. Otherwise, what's the point?

When I read a car review I want an opinion from someone who has driven a lot of cars and is sensitive to the differences.

Apologies for the length, but this recent podcast with Chris Harris and Jethro Bovingdon is worth a listen. Now they're from the driving-it-on-the-doorhandles end of the spectrum, but the point stands.

Why would I spend an hour of my time listening to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

Nothing made me want a Tesla Model S more than after I watched the (EV sceptic) Chris Harris drive one here

He is far from raving about it, but driving it at speed over some twisty country roads, he does like some aspects of the car that would be very high priority to me (and that I did not really get a chance of testing on my testdrive 3 years ago of a facelift 2016 S90D from Sandyford):

"The surprise of the package is how good it is on the road."

"Brutally effective thing. Brutally."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Lumen wrote: »
    What are motoring journalists for? They're supposed to experts. Otherwise, what's the point?...

Chris Harris is great. But I've learnt zero from him about Irish specific motoring issues. Also these guys are very niche. They do very little content on more mainstream parts of motoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaDWPBco07w

beauf wrote: »
    Chris Harris is great. But I've learnt zero from him about Irish specific motoring issues. Also these guys are very niche. They do very little content on more mainstream parts of motoring.
    Sure, but the wider point remains: to be useful, you need to be knowledgeable about the thing you are talking about, or else you're just another a-hole with an opinion.

I've listened to/watched a couple of hours of Bob and learned precisely nothing.

Can't say I agree. Chris Harris owns what is arguably the most modest family car ever made and he is very passionate about that car.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

You could watch top gear for years and learn nothing about cars. Thats 99% opinion and 1% fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I don't always agree with him and he's not always right. But so what. Thumbs up for Bob.

I agree - fair play to Bob for creating the content & proffering a uniquely Irish perspective on Irish motoring. No issues from me there & I hope he evolves.

My only issue is with misinformation. Bob has a viewership & as such, has influence. Disparaging a €100,000 EV because, as I suspect, he's not aufait with charging parameters, cables etc., doesn't do anyone any good, most especially himself.
    His intro does state "expert care reviews".

Be an expert then, educate yourself & be a better journalist. Learn the difference between kW & kWh, AC & DC charging, charge points & chargers, how hydrogen is produced etc.

A little constructive criticism shouldn't cause offense to Bob & I haven't seen anyone attack him here. Hopefully he's reading (you know he is - hi Bob :p) & takes some good from this thread anyway.

unkel wrote: »
    Can't say I agree. Chris Harris owns what is arguably the most modest family car ever made and he is very passionate about that car.

You think a 1957 Citroen 2CV is mainstream for the average person in Ireland buying a car in 2020.

Kramer wrote: »
    I agree - fair play to Bob for creating the content & proffering a uniquely Irish perspective on Irish motoring. No issues from me there & I hope he evolves.

My only issue is with misinformation. Bob has a viewership & as such, has influence. Disparaging a €100,000 EV because, as I suspect, he's not aufait with charging parameters, cables etc., doesn't do anyone any good, most especially himself.
    His intro does state "expert care reviews".

Be an expert then, educate yourself & be a better journalist. Learn the difference between kW & kWh, AC & DC charging, charge points & chargers, how hydrogen is produced etc.

A little constructive criticism shouldn't cause offense to Bob & I haven't seen anyone attack him here. Hopefully he's reading (you know he is - hi Bob :p) & takes some good from this thread anyway.

I already made that point about what Bob isn't.

But its a bit daft to be comparing him to Chris Harris, or Vettel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmM0Jwx-Bjo

I already made that point about what Bob isn't.

But its a bit daft to be comparing him to Chris Harris, or Vettel.

Why? Before Top Gear picked him up Harris was doing exactly what Bob is doing now, albeit with slightly different subject material. Freelance motor journalism and bits of Youtube.

Here's Chris Harris talking freestyle about cars.

Show me one clip or article from Bob that demonstrates similar depth of knowledge, on any subject.

• Advertisement

You're basically saying every Motoring journalist has to be a clone of Chris Harris.

...or that every video even if produced by a fraction of the resources, should have the same production quality, same editing. Its ridiculous.

Maybe you should find a Chris Harris Video on Irish Irish issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I look at a lot of motoring journalists on YouTube from Carwow to Honestjohn and Bob. To be fair to Bob he hasn't the resources of the others but he does a good video and review and tries to be different. The Sunday show is live and a bit long for my liking. He claims he doesn't take sponsorship from motoring companies etc.

You're basically saying every Motoring journalist has to be a clone of Chris Harris.

...or that every video even if produced by a fraction of the resources, should have the same production quality, same editing. Its ridiculous.

Maybe you should find a Chris Harris Video on Irish Irish issues.

If you re-read my posts I'm very much not saying that. I'm talking about the expertise, not the packaging.

The Collecting Cars podcast is an example of having zero production expenses - it's audio only.

Does it wind you up that they're not Irish? I don't really care where the content comes from, I learn as much from US and (eh, one) Norweigan youtubey people as I do from the British stuff.

Seems like you don't really care what the content is unless its Chris Harris lol...

Seems like you don't really care what the content is unless its Chris Harris lol...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Can't be arsed with Bob. Ever since one of his videos when he reviewed (I think) an Ioniq. It was one of his earliest EV reviews and came across like a hatchet job.

He demonstrated charging the car and made such a meal of how confusing it was to get the correct plug for the car, even though the charging station had a dirty great picture of the sockets on it.

Plus as others have said he seems very uninformed on details for someone who is supposed to be an expert.

Could be worse, could be Doug going through the manual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I like Bob. Watched him build his channel from nothing. He comes across more as reporter than car nut, maybe I'm mistaken. Either way that's ok, it's just a different perspective. Also it gives you an insight into the Irish motor industry etc. He does a load of work to make that content. I look forward to his videos dropping. He's only getting better. I don't always agree with him and he's not always right. But so what. Thumbs up for Bob.
    That you Bob?

That you Bob?

No this is Chris...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Bob is on boards alright. Bodhan is his user name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

In todays world watching any single 7min you tube vid as the basis of a purchase of a new car whether ice or ev is lunacy and you deserve everything you get. Most customers would spread a wide net of multiple written reviews and videos, dealership time, blogs, boards!!! and so on. I'd say for ev that would be greater to ensure the ev lifestyle matched your needs.

The longer weekend show Bob does is a casual chat, rant, Q&A and light hearted piece.

Just remember that the word expert in any field is fairly subjective. The expanse of knowledge on just one subject like cars is too much for any one person and people will focus on undefined subsets that interest them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭zg3409

DrPhilG wrote: »

He demonstrated charging the car and made such a meal of how confusing it was to get the correct plug for the car, even though the charging station had a dirty great picture of the sockets on it.

He admitted afterwards this video was staged to illustrate that it is confusing for new EV owners to plug in, and start a charge at a triple head charger. 3 different cable options, 2 of which connect, 3 options on screen menu for which cable, RFID etc. Its a pity he did not just explain that rather than trying a stunt for viewership.
    Plus as others have said he seems very uninformed on details for someone who is supposed to be an expert.

He is getting better, but yes he should be as knowledge able on EV as ICE. He has a slightly vested interest in that Irish manufacturers pay for some of his travel to review cars in other countries, but he says he has editorial control. He also does call foul on some of the EV price gouging and tries to take the average punter point of view. I do like the Irish perspective, but the many many incorrect statements are off putting.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Can't be arsed with Bob. Ever since one of his videos when he reviewed (I think) an Ioniq. It was one of his earliest EV reviews and came across like a hatchet job.

He did that on purpose, that was pretty clear to me. But a lot of people thought he was just ignorant / thick. Someone even took so much of a hump, they started a thread on it here. I think Bob must have had a good laugh about all that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

He did that on purpose, that was pretty clear to me. But a lot of people thought he was just ignorant / thick. Someone even took so much of a hump, they started a thread on it here. I think Bob must have had a good laugh about all that :D

He might get some lols from his various antics, but does he think that this is a recipe for long term success?

I know he has a lot of airtime to fill on his sunday service, but he comes across to me as just talking off the top of his head for much of the time. I consider that he loses credibility because of his tactics as playing to the audience or just spoofing away on a topic about which he knows very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pretty stupid stunt to pull.

And even aside from that I find his videos waffly and ill informed.
    pdpmur wrote: »
    he comes across to me as just talking off the top of his head for much of the time. I consider that he loses credibility because of his tactics as playing to the audience or just spoofing away on a topic about which he knows very little.

Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always enjoyed his reviews, but have never seen him review an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

NIMAN wrote: »

I thought his eSoul one was very good, worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

NIMAN wrote: »
    I've followed his channel since he reviewed the fluence EV back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I'd like to see his video where he puts petrol in desiel car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Lost all respect for him over the EV charging retardovid.

Advertisement