Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He's brilliant. Wonder who will get MOTM?

Whoever it is will most likely win POTY but COC's performance might give him the edge.

on first sighting can't think of one Dub that you'd pick today. Maybe Howard but not going to get it for 40 minutes; Fitz other than he's a back! and maybe Fenton.

I hope you mean Con and not Cillian :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FinglasFollain

Fenton and Kilkenny likely picks for POTY despite them having fairly unremarkable days, by their standards. On a personal level, love to see McCarthy getting it, all round good skin.

If I was a betting man I’d go Con after today’s MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think that was huge today. Not just 6 in a row, another All Ireland but for a new manager and management team to under challenging circumstances, bring Sam home again at the first time of asking... that’s massive. To achieve continuity of success into a new era is brilliant and sets up Dublin perfectly... with confidence, talent, and a structure to achieve even more.

It’s a great achievement for Dessie and the lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Bambi wrote: »
    Don't think it was that confident. That Mayo team live off drawing fouls or just diving for scorable frees, Mayo of 2-3 years would have caught us today. Half forward and midfield line bar Scully were poor, Fenton disappeared which he tends to do in big games. Lot of lads caught in possesion by thinking they could amble forward with a Mayo player on their tail. I think Kerry would have punished us for that first half performance and would have been fit enough to stay with us in the second.

Honestly, think Farrell was a bit lucky today, his calls on midfield and kickouts backfired but didn't cost him.

I had bailed out but came back for a read...
    Fenton disappears...wow. That fella has so much to do. Yes, he has hard times in games but the amazing thing about him is that he doesn't go away. He might be up against it in the first half but In my mind he flips every battle he is in.
    Incredible player...will go down as one of the best ever.
    Fuc*ing disappears...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Great achievement to win with three different managers as well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Fenton and Kilkenny likely picks for POTY despite them having fairly unremarkable days, by their standards. On a personal level, love to see McCarthy getting it, all round good skin.

If I was a betting man I’d go Con after today’s MOTM.

Fenton had a big second half in fairness to him. Kilkenny was fairly pants all day to be honest. He got 3 points today which shows even on a bad day he's still a threat.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Strumms wrote: »
    I think that was huge today. Not just 6 in a row, another All Ireland but for a new manager and management team to under challenging circumstances, bring Sam home again at the first time of asking... that’s massive. To achieve continuity of success into a new era is brilliant and sets up Dublin perfectly... with confidence, talent, and a structure to achieve even more.

mighty achievement alright and nothinh to do with every game being at home and the millions of pounds throwed your way,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

mighty achievement alright and nothinh to do with every game being at home and the millions of pounds throwed your way,

Thanks for acknowledging that it had nothing to do with those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Firstly, I did not cross post, the two posts I quoted were from this thread (click them and see).
    Secondly, I didn't 'attack' you, I made what I thought was a totally justified reply to your posts.
    Thirdly, while I may not have many posts on this account, it is not new, it's more than 1 year old.
    And lastly, while you have every right to report posts, in this case I broke no rules and received no sanction.

Fair enough, but from my perspective you seem unnecessarily petty. As as long as I am alive. I have heard the phrases culchies, jackeens. Even townies used by those in rural ireland between each other to differentiate the farmers v those in town.. Plus typing culchies is much quicker than typing country people, those from rural ireland and so on as far as I am concerned.

Fairly benign phrases in my view, commonly used in everyday parlance in Irish society.

If the phrase culchies somehow offends you I suggest you have a very thin skin and maybe boards.ie might not be for you. Either that or you have very little to be worrying about.

To paraphrase Michael O'Hehir the Jacks are back and the Mayo backs are jacked!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well done again today ye feckers :D
    We gave it our best shot but just weren’t good enough
    We will be back next July in a packed Croke Park hopefully for yet another rematch please God .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

This thread is a mess with loonies tonight...
    We will put it down to the silly season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

blanch152 wrote: »
    Thanks for acknowledging that it had nothing to do with those things.

Wasn't it Roscommon bought the senior footballers a big fk off bus and brought the lads on naked hotel pool party weekend?

And their minors and hurlers having to thumb lifts to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I felt Mayo were lacking two/three forwards. Looking at the scores Mayo were heavily dependent on Cillian O'Connor and his frees. The only other scorers in the forwards for Mayo was Ryan O'Donoghue with two from play and sub Darren Cohen with one from play.

In contrast of the starting forwards Dublin had 5 who scored from play. Paddy Small was the only one not to get on the scoresheet.

Spread of scores for Dublin was a lot wider than Mayo. Mayo almost feel to be the finished article barring two or three top forwards. Between the subs and starting. I felt Mayo left about 7/8 scores behind them. More clinical forwards and less dependence on one man and Mayo could have won it.

Besides Diarmuid for Mayo I was impressed with Oisin Mullen he seems like some find.

I was amazed Paul Mannion was the first sub Dessie Farrell called upon as I felt that he was bit behind the pecking order. But obviously sees it different.

I would have like to see Dessie under pressure to have to make decisions under pressure to see how he reacts. Mayo never looked like they had a goal in them so it was never going to happen.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

love to see McCarthy getting it, all round good skin.

McCarthy is an absolute animal, the mileage he's put up over the last 9 years must be a record. 8 All Ireland medals, goes all the way with Kickhams this year and then again with Dublin, and he's only 30 or so.

Mick Fitz the same, early 30s and been on the road without break for a decade.

Scully should be a shoe in for all All Star but he's like a secret weapon hidden in plain sight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Up the dubs! People comparing them to Lance Armstrong is pathetic really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Ladies and Gentlemen, charge your glasses, thus is the greatest team of all time. Fellow Dubs enjoy the moment and fcuk there bedrugers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Aww looks like poor Tom is a bit disappointed this Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I felt Mayo were lacking two/three forwards. Looking at the scores Mayo were heavily dependent on Cillian O'Connor and his frees. The only other scorers in the forwards for Mayo was Ryan O'Donoghue with two from play and sub Darren Cohen with one from play.

In contrast of the starting forwards Dublin had 5 who scored from play. Paddy Small was the only one not to get on the scoresheet.

Spread of scores for Dublin was a lot wider than Mayo. Mayo almost feel to be the finished article barring two or three top forwards. Between the subs and starting. I felt Mayo left about 7/8 scores behind them. More clinical forwards and less dependence on one man and Mayo could have won it.

Besides Diarmuid for Mayo I was impressed with Oisin Mullen he seems like some find.

I was amazed Paul Mannion was the first sub Dessie Farrell called upon as I felt that he was bit behind the pecking order. But obviously sees it different.

I would have like to see Dessie under pressure to have to make decisions under pressure to see how he reacts. Mayo never looked like they had a goal in them so it was never going to happen.

That is what Mayo live off COC for the scores and some from others in front 6 and a few from half back line. They'd be better off with O'Shea in midfield as i think offers very little up front from a scoring point of view but you don't see him running around the place. Like's to be the QB man. Maybe from his watching of NFL that he comes up with this role. I read 0-4 from 12 semi final and 5 finals. Sorry that is awful from a front 6 player.

Dublin front 6 can all score which is what you need.
    The 10 minutes without McDaid were a tactical joy. Mayo won it by a single point I think which killed any chance of them winning.

McCarthy seamlessly slotted into the half backs and Howard into midfield. Don’t think I spotted the Mayo free man once, he must have been in their full back line. The two big attacks we had in which we scored, I think we worked the the ball for 4-5 mins between them. Really took any potential sting out of the game.

Canavan said Mayo put a sweeper in for the extra man. May as well had 15/15 they way they changed the set up. They had 10 minutes to come up with a plan and that is what they came up with.

Howard coming on really improved things. Seemed to free up Fenton. Mad he didn't get a start. I thought Kev Mc and MDMA didn't come on near the end as they will run with ball and draw fouls from tired players and just kill time and control ball. Plan is just want to win game when in last 10 minutes and not just turn into shooting practice if ahead by a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm not sure it is though.

I don't know one person who realistically expected Mayo to win yesterday. Not one.

Kudos to Dublin, ye are phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal and I tip my hat to you.

But it wasn't a massive achievement beating Mayo yesterday (as you described it).

I tend to keep away from the whole 'what to do with Dublin' debate.

I really don't know where football is going, but I can't see you relinquishing the All-Ireland for the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm not sure it is though.

I don't know one person who realistically expected Mayo to win yesterday. Not one.

Kudos to Dublin, ye are phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal and I tip my hat to you.

But it wasn't a massive achievement beating Mayo yesterday (as you described it).

I tend to keep away from the whole 'what to do with Dublin' debate.

I really don't know where football is going, but I can't see you relinquishing the All-Ireland for the next decade.

I wish people would stop downplaying the achievement, sacrifice and commitment this Dublin team have made/shown over the last decade.

James McCarthy has been more or less going non stop with club / county. There are many others who have shown amazing commitment, with early training sessions, those in and out of the team /squad.

Six in a row is a massive achievement, becoming a team where you are constantly expected to beat other teams is a massive achievement. In all other sports we see upsets, Dublin have avoided that through hard work, ability and humility.

• Advertisement

I am just really enjoying these years and absolutely couldn't care less about all the media and keyboard critics .They have always hated us winning and all the winless years gave them loads to crow about .They will never change and will always knock anything we achieve and look for some angle in anything to do so . I have no interest in looking for praise from so let them at it if that's what they want .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I wish people would stop downplaying the achievement, sacrifice and commitment this Dublin team have made/shown over the last decade.

James McCarthy has been more or less going non stop with club / county. There are many others who have shown amazing commitment, with early training sessions, those in and out of the team /squad.

Six in a row is a massive achievement, becoming a team where you are constantly expected to beat other teams is a massive achievement. In all other sports we see upsets, Dublin have avoided that through hard work, ability and humility.

Let's not pretend you are the only team to make these sacrifices.

Have you any idea the round trips some of the Mayo lads make just to get to training?

Do the Mayo lads not make the same sacrifices and show the same commitment to our cause as your lads to yours?

You're forgetting some obvious points but there is no point in getting into that.

Great achievement in winning 6 in a row, but not as big an achievement at this stage as you'd like to think.

Enjoy the celebrations.

Let's not pretend you are the only team to make these sacrifices.

Have you any idea the round trips some of the Mayo lads make just to get to training?

Do the Mayo lads not make the same sacrifices and show the same commitment to our cause as your lads to yours?

You're forgetting some obvious points but there is no point in getting into that.

Great achievement in winning 6 in a row, but not as big an achievement at this stage as you'd like to think.

Enjoy the celebrations.

I'm not implying that at all. All Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Carlow players make sacrifices. I used to live with a lad on the Cork team, the commitment is unbelievable.
    Stop seeing digs where there are none. This Mayo team are brilliant, and to keep going is fantastic, they were just unlucky to come up against an incredibly skilled, driven group of players, that have edged them on multiple occasions

There is a conversation on the wider funding topic, that is seperate to the players.

But downplay all you want....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Looks like we've ruined Christmas for a lot people. Glorious.

Who got MOTM?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Looks like we've ruined Christmas for a lot people. Glorious.

Who got MOTM?

Con

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

What a great time to be alive. I missed the after match analysis, was the assault on Philly discussed at any length. 4 players at him, he handled it well, laughing it off. If he was the aggressor there’d be call for a long ban. I’ll enjoy today. Might even watch it again.

Little said about halt time incident philly looked to have said something but Higgins was the first to start the physical stuff by the looks of things so will be ignored quick enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

It would have been a fair achievement for Dessie not to win it with the other 3 of the top 4 very kindly taking themselves out of the equation.
    Could even afford to not start his best 15 and do without 3 current All Stars and still coast to an All-Ireland.
    You could have put a labrador in as manager of the Dubs this year and they would still have won the AI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Conroy had a nightmare which was a disaster for Mayo and Dublin have always coped comfortably enough with AOS.
    Diarmaid O'Connor did some huge work turning over ball and tackling but they could really do with him getting forward into scoring zone a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ArielAtom wrote: »
    What a great time to be alive. I missed the after match analysis, was the assault on Philly discussed at any length. 4 players at him, he handled it well, laughing it off. If he was the aggressor there’d be call for a long ban. I’ll enjoy today. Might even watch it again.

Not sure why you think he wasn't the aggressor. He was sledging and Higgins reacted.

Advertisement