Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Why would Dublin bother appealing that red card?

Not being smart, and no doubt Costello himself would like it appealed, but from a Dublin point of view why would they distract themselves and invite the bad publicity just to get back one of their subs?

They will still have Mannion, McMenaman, Howard and Basquel on the bench and probably a few others I don't know about, so is this really an argument they are going to be too concerned about?

The Dublin management don't give interviews to RTE anyway so they've nothing to lose.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Interesting one - During the week the GAA site had Dublin V Ulster winners to be played 28th/29th Nov. Just saw its on the site now on 5th Dec at 5:30 - any clues as to the change. Three days after level 5 is 'supposed' to be over!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

IRE60 wrote: »
    Interesting one - During the week the GAA site had Dublin V Ulster winners to be played 28th/29th Nov. Just saw its on the site now on 5th Dec at 5:30 - any clues as to the change. Three days after level 5 is 'supposed' to be over!

It was always to be a weekend break afaik. Semis on 5/6th and final on 19th.

Makes sense surely? There's going to be no lifting of restrictions that will make any difference to sport unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Ah in fairness now; you can't have players going around calling abusive names to the officials, getting a 10 minute sinbin, and be allowed back on the pitch again. You can understand players having a go at each other. THey are rivals, trying to outdo each other. But the ref, linesmen and umpires are there to try to implement a set of rules in a game so that there is some civilised structure to a game. Can't be calling them prlcks, and not be penalised properly for doing so. In my opinion anyway.

Before it was the Connolly situation; "ah but shure he only gave him a slight push" Now Costello; "ah shure he only called him a prlck. What's the harm"

My own feelings on it is if that's the rule then that's the rule, no matter how harsh it is but i want that rule consistently implemented.

In the case of Connolly, andy moran did something similar and did not incur the same punishment.

Costello was idiotic in what he did, a 20 point lead and near the end of the game and he goes and lets his team mates down like that all over a feckin line ball.

Any news on Bugler?

Seemed to pick up a hamstring injury but i think he finished the game iirc.

Has been superb so far, so would be a big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,347 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

doc_17 wrote: »
    Lads, any interest in playing the Ulster champions in their home ground this year? Cavan in Breffni or Donegal in Ballybofey? Shur, be a bit of an oul change in scenery?
    Slattsy wrote: »
    Pairc ui Chaoimh the only ground I'd want to play in, surface looks top notch.

I was never in Pairc ui Chaoimh closest I got was Pairc Ui Rinn (Flower Lodge) when I went looking for it first time I was there no one had a idea what I was on about. Nor that the football match was on! (league game). Eventually I was told you mean Flower Lodge boy!

Ballybofey is a lovely spot and for a Dub and Gweedore feels like the moon for a Dub with it's valleys and hills. Drove around it to have a gawk. Breffni park is a grand spot. But travelling there would drive a Dub to drink. Those traffic jams in Virgina, jayus.

Obviously no chances of travelling now. But it is why the Dubs supporters love the Super 8's great chance for a nice trip soak up a bit of atmosphere.
    Only reason matches are kept in CP is because of GAA wanting money and demand for tickets.
    My favourite ground will always be Parnell Park tight pitch fantastic atmosphere when full under lights.

When I think of it Tullamore is a nice stadium, Castlebar always has a half finished feel to it. With them stone seats. Fitzgerald stadium nice scenery, Austin Stack a bit wide and soulless feel to it. Salthill (Pearse park)the worst place in the world to have built a stadium in a housing estate on a bog. Plus isn't the pitch on an incline? Omagh, I liked but the travelling and traffic jams there no fun.

A lot of GAA stadiums do not seem to be designed very well imo, kind of thrown together. It will do there type of thing.

If Donegal do play Dublin I expect Donegal to give Dublin a right rattle. Plus since there is no crowds. Surely this takes away 'home' advantage?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Anyone get Dublin's wide count against Meath yesterday?

Seemed to me very few shots wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Five in the first half I think, never bothered counting in the second as they were going over way too fast!

My own feelings on it is if that's the rule then that's the rule, no matter how harsh it is but i want that rule consistently implemented.

In the case of Connolly, andy moran did something similar and did not incur the same punishment.

Costello was idiotic in what he did, a 20 point lead and near the end of the game and he goes and lets his team mates down like that all over a feckin line ball.

First thing I thought of what will his auld fella say to him! :D
    As John Costello is always so measured and thoughtful in what he says regarding the DCB.

In fairness I think it shows just how much Cormac bursts a gut trying his damnedest each time he gets his chance. I think it was just a case of his emotions running away with him and trying too hard.
    In one way it was idiotic, in another it was nice to see it meant so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They were super accurate. Can’t find the wides total but I remember watching it and saying, Jesus if they are kicking it they are scoring it... great to have so many dead eye and lethal scorers. Dublins last two championship meetings with Meath provides the aggregate score of...

4-38 / 0-13

From Meaths point of view that’s a score every 11 minutes about. Not great but they can only play as well as they are let.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Five in the first half I think, never bothered counting in the second as they were going over way too fast!

Thanks. I was very impressed with it. I think it was the best Dublin performance I have seen since Tyrone in the 2018 AI.

Plus to be honest they were that good I think it will end up in louder calls for Dublin to spilt as there are too many great Dublin players barely getting a look in.

I am not calling for a spilt by the way but it is starting to look feasible - player wise. But infrastructure wise, culturally and sponsorship wise is miles off.

Maybe the 'Culchie Granny rule' is the way to go for more Dubs to have a chance to play inter county. 2/3 Dubs per team like the way the Irish Basketball used to be with the imported Yanks.

In another five years or so it will be interesting to see what the GAA football landscape is like - Tyrone, Kerry, Donegal, Dublin and Mayo in particular.

Strumms wrote: »
    From Meaths point of view that’s a score every 11 minutes about. Not great but they can only play as well as they are let.

I am going to say something I thought I would never say. I nearly felt sorry for Meath. Poor feckers were bulldozed out of it. Ended up punch drunk.

Meath zero chance to settle straight away. I had thought wrongly that Dublin would be struggling with tempo like v Laois early on. Giving Meath a bit of a foothold to get goals. But there was no notion of it happening. It was non stop stuff no let up really.

Some of the Meath lads must feel like giving up inter county after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What an absolutely crazy championship! Could only have happened in 2020 haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

We are coming for yas lads... Be afraid....

Dublin on a lose/lose now beat Cavan then Tipp/Mayo whole country will be shouting against Dublin.

Might even get 6 in a row but the real memories and winners of the year will always be Tipp/Cavan.

Never thought a 6 in a row could be overshadowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Totally shocked by results to day gave Cavan no chance Tipp only very small one great advert for knockout i suppose many will say would still be fairly confident we will take Cavan though if it was Donegal i would have been wary .We seem to take no team for granted unlike previous years so will find out in a couple of weeks for sure hope this post does not come back to haunt me .

Totally shocked by results to day gave Cavan no chance Tipp only very small one great advert for knockout i suppose many will say would still be fairly confident we will take Cavan though if it was Donegal i would have been wary .We seem to take no team for granted unlike previous years so will find out in a couple of weeks for sure hope this post does not come back to haunt me .

Doubt it, I will donate an AI Final ticket amount to charity if Cavan beat Dublin.
    Was really worried how Dublin would have fared v Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hammar wrote: »
    We are coming for yas lads... Be afraid....

More afraid of catching Covid off yiz and some of our lads missing the final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Haha stop this utter nonsense . 1/100

1/100 to win !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The odd mad miracle does happen but obviously Dubs v mayo final almost certain .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin now shortest priced favourites ever to win a football championship at this stage. Cats in 2007 and 2008 were shorter for the finals but not before the semi finals I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Say nothing lads ffs haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I am going to say something I thought I would never say. I nearly felt sorry for Meath. Poor feckers were bulldozed out of it. Ended up punch drunk.

Meath zero chance to settle straight away. I had thought wrongly that Dublin would be struggling with tempo like v Laois early on. Giving Meath a bit of a foothold to get goals. But there was no notion of it happening. It was non stop stuff no let up really.

Some of the Meath lads must feel like giving up inter county after that!
    No different to any other year really. There will be 7 or 8 new faces on the panel again next year. Same as every leinster county really.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 I_NoScoped_JFK

This thread is as dead as a doornail.

Says it all really.

A fantastic team, like the Brazil team of the 70s, overflowing with talent and class on and off the pitch, have reached a stratosphere so high that the rest of the country have lost touch with them. Even when they were getting it tight v kerry last year, no one was surprised when Dublin eventually prevailed. There were no sighs of relief, such is the expectation.

A great time to be a dubs fan, but I would be very confident that most people will turn over the match of the semi final and final once Dublin go 6+ in front. That's the way its going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Says it all really.

A fantastic team, like the Brazil team of the 70s, overflowing with talent and class on and off the pitch, have reached a stratosphere so high that the rest of the country have lost touch with them. Even when they were getting it tight v kerry last year, no one was surprised when Dublin eventually prevailed. There were no sighs of relief, such is the expectation.

A great time to be a dubs fan, but I would be very confident that most people will turn over the match of the semi final and final once Dublin go 6+ in front. That's the way its going.

Dublin aren't the problem, the format is. Far better games in the league than championship because the teams that play each other have to win to get there and stay there.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

And none of us will care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

And none of us will care
    Most dubs don't even care anymore.

Food for thought. Assuming next years championship is played on the regular schedule in 9 months from now Dublin will have 7 in a row All Irelands. We'll be at the level of domination some thought was resigned just to the leinster championship.

At least fans from mayo, kerry, donegal etc are finally starting to sympathise with counties from leinster.

They haven’t even the 6th yet so there’s no need for the melodrama.

Two of the many examples of how great this team is:

1. 2015 AI semi final (drawn game):

Dublin 7 points up with 8 minutes to go. Mayo level the scores with a minute to go in normal time.

Watch the game from the moment mayo levelled to the final whistle.

2. 2019 AI final (drawn game):

Kerry take the lead with 4 minutes to go. Dublin down to 14 men.

Watch the game from the moment kerry took the lead and the final whistle.

No panic, pure calmness when other teams would have melted (including Dublin teams of yesteryear).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭C__MC

Two of the many examples of how great this team is:

1. 2015 AI semi final (drawn game):

Dublin 7 points up with 8 minutes to go. Mayo level the scores with a minute to go in normal time.

Watch the game from the moment mayo levelled to the final whistle.

2. 2019 AI final (drawn game):

Kerry take the lead with 4 minutes to go. Dublin down to 14 men.

Watch the game from the moment kerry took the lead and the final whistle.

No panic, pure calmness when other teams would have melted (including Dublin teams of yesteryear).

I'll add the 2018 final to that
    5-1 down, chasing history
    The manner of the way dublin took apart Tyrone was just brilliant

Advertisement