Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,259 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This thread is as dead as a doornail.

Says it all really.

A fantastic team, like the Brazil team of the 70s, overflowing with talent and class on and off the pitch, have reached a stratosphere so high that the rest of the country have lost touch with them. Even when they were getting it tight v kerry last year, no one was surprised when Dublin eventually prevailed. There were no sighs of relief, such is the expectation.

A great time to be a dubs fan, but I would be very confident that most people will turn over the match of the semi final and final once Dublin go 6+ in front. That's the way its going.

Teams did blow it against Dublin though a few times.

2019 AI Final) Kerry should have one first game because of a man up.

And Jim on the sideline worked wonders tactically. Pushing Cluxton right up like an extra outfielder. Leaving the Kerry spare man free on one side and hiding him from view by just using players bodies. Donaghy did a great analysis of it on OTB. Questions must be asked of the Kerry sideline on the day as well.

2018 AI Final) Tyrone played right into Dublin's hands - but Dublin had superb accuracy as good as they were v Meath in Leinster 2020 Final.

2017 AI Final) Dublin win by 1 point v Mayo. From what I remember from the atmosphere of it. I felt Dublin were in control of the game - despite Keegan's GPS been launched in the air on Rock's final kick.

2016 AI Final game one) Mayo should and could have won it the first game. I remember feeling blessed to get out with a draw. Plus they had two OG's!

2015 Final) Dirty day low scoring v Kerry always felt Dublin were in control.

2013 Final) Mayo blew it as simple as that, complete bottle job. O'Connor taking ages on his free etc

2011 Final) Kerry threw it away - were complacent, coasting, and got caught. Kevin Mc's goal against the run of play changed the game.

So by my count that is 2019, 2016, 2013 and 2011 - four out of the last seven All Ireland's Dublin won that they should not have.

It is not only Dublin's excellence that are winning them Sam's. But other teams have let them in to win or let them off the hook.

Now at this stage Dublin have an 'aura' and that alone is starting to be worth 4-5 points a game. Kerry used to have it the same.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You need to wash your mouth out and hand in your coddle passport.

For a start, in 2019 (pt 1) we had an opportunity to win the game at the end. It was Kerry who were lucky in the end. So no, I'm not taking that one.

2016 was touch and go, but not as clear cut as you seem to think.

2013 was there for Mayo, but you can't help it if the opposition play so ineptly.

2011 was a smash and grab in some sense, but Kerry shouldn't have let us be in a position to win it. It was naive as hell!
    But like the 2013 SF, the game ain't over until the game is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Most dubs don't even care anymore.

Food for thought. Assuming next years championship is played on the regular schedule in 9 months from now Dublin will have 7 in a row All Irelands. We'll be at the level of domination some thought was resigned just to the leinster championship.

At least fans from mayo, kerry, donegal etc are finally starting to sympathise with counties from leinster.

Do you know... ‘most Dubs’ ?

Every Dublin supporter I know is fully behind the team, fully engaged in supporting them ‘still’ in their endeavors to win 6. If it doesn’t happen they’ll be a little less gutted having made history with 5 but... the way Dublin supporters like the players view the Championship... WIN is the goal, objective to compete and succeed, lift Sam and continue the streak.

When you become accustomed to the kind of success that Dublin have... winning is like a drug, you want MORE.

Most Dubs care, every Dub cares. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Strumms wrote: »
    Do you know... ‘most Dubs’ ?

Every Dublin supporter I know is fully behind the team, fully engaged in supporting them ‘still’ in their endeavors to win 6. If it doesn’t happen they’ll be a little less gutted having made history with 5 but... the way Dublin supporters like the players view the Championship... WIN is the goal, objective to compete and succeed, lift Sam and continue the streak.

When you become accustomed to the kind of success that Dublin have... winning is like a drug, you want MORE.

Most Dubs care, every Dub cares. ;)
    I'd agree that the hard-core are still there but for a county so big the crowds attending are very small and less then they are when things were competitive. Can't blame the general dublin person either for not wanting to attend as it's turkey shoot after Turkey shoot.

Dublin vs Meath final last year had a tiny crowd for that fixture especially when you consider dublin vs meath use to sell out croker for a quarter final when both sets of fans believed either team could win. After two big hammerings I'd imagine they will continue to dwindle.

They haven’t even the 6th yet so there’s no need for the melodrama.

What if they win 10 in a row? Just as a thought experiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Just my tuppence worth. Leinster is not competitive, Dublin are so far ahead they could put out their 2nd string and probably win it. That is not a reflection on Dublin dominance, that is a reflection on how poor the opposition are. Mayo, Kerry, Donegal have all been very close to Dublin, hard competitive games. As a Dub I am not one bit bored with winning AI's. I grew up taking beatings on a regular basis. So when we are beaten and we will be, I will take it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭billyhead

I've had enough heartache supporting the Dubs during the barren years from after 1995 to 2011 I will enjoy this winning period for as long as possible.

billyhead wrote: »
    I've had enough heartache supporting the Dubs during the barren years from after 1995 to 2011 I will enjoy this winning period for as long as possible.

83-95 was even worse! All those Ulster teams have the hoodoo over Dublin in th 90's particular. No Leinster between 95 and 02 was unprecedented as well though.

What if they win 10 in a row? Just as a thought experiment

If Dublin win 10 in a row to me it would show all, or some, or one of the following:

1) Provincial Championships and AI not restructured in a fair and balanced manner

2) Dublin's competitors not improving and closing the gap.

3) Dublin have replaced the older generation semlessly as in 5 years time. Even though all or many of Dublin's current 'Golden Generation' will have moved on - or being phased out.

4) Dublin's competitors just unlucky or blew it as I already argued happened in 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2019

If it is a case of points 1, 2, and 3 there will be serious questions to ask of the structure of the championship and Dublin's future as 'Dublin' as we now know it. And the level of coaching in other counties, facilities and so on.

If it is a case of just point 4 - there would be no questions asked and it is just the ebb and flow of sport.

You need to wash your mouth out and hand in your coddle passport.
    For a start, in 2019 (pt 1) we had an opportunity to win the game at the end. It was Kerry who were lucky in the end. So no, I'm not taking that one.

Kerry had the man advantage and were ahead. It was up to them to kill the game in my view they blew it. I suppose it is debatable whether it was the Kerry sideline, Kerry players or both who lost it.

Jim Gavin was cuter than the Kerry sideline found the video - great analysis from the Kerryman!

2016 was touch and go, but not as clear cut as you seem to think.

Fair point Dublin could have won it and Dublin could have lost it. I still remember the feeling of been relieved that Dublin had another go at it.
    2013 was there for Mayo, but you can't help it if the opposition play so ineptly.

I think Mayo froze and panicked that day the albatross of 1951 was weighing them down. Definitely should have won the game imo. Had a big bet on the Dubs to win that year as well. Thought I had lost it a few times.
    2011 was a smash and grab in some sense, but Kerry shouldn't have let us be in a position to win it. It was naive as hell!
    But like the 2013 SF, the game ain't over until the game is over.

They were coasting and laughing to themselves. I remember Darran O'Sullivan giving two little fist pumps and laughing - after Kerry scores.
    I thought Dublin had lost it as well. Kerry looked like they were playing the game out. When the final whistle went I think everyone in the ground was in shock wondering what had happened. It turned so quickly.

I think Dublin will be caught in the same manner at some stage. Thinking they have it won. And an uncharacteristic error leading to a goal conceded late in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

They were coasting and laughing to themselves. I remember Darran O'Sullivan giving two little fist pumps and laughing - after Kerry scores. I thought Dublin had lost it as well. Kerry looked like they were playing the game out.

I think Dublin will be caught in the same manner at some stage. Thinking they have it won. And an uncharacteristic error leading to a goal conceded late in the game.

I thought that was going to happen to us in the drawn game last year.

I thought even with 14 men dublin were in control up to spillane's goal.

As i referenced in a previous post, Dublin have been in positions of control and let leads slip (2015 semi final draw and last years final draw but unlike kerry in 2011, they didnt panic and more or less controlled the games after mayo levelled and kerry took a 1 point lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Saddened to hear of the death of Kathleen McPoland over the weekend. Anyone involved in the underage game would've come across her in Parnell Park over the years - a down to earth and excellent administrator of the game, she'll be missed by all - RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Saddened to hear of the death of Kathleen McPoland over the weekend. Anyone involved in the underage game would've come across her in Parnell Park over the years - a down to earth and excellent administrator of the game, she'll be missed by all - RIP

Agree completely. She had a significant impact on the juvenile scene over the last number of years. Always a pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'd agree that the hard-core are still there but for a county so big the crowds attending are very small and less then they are when things were competitive. Can't blame the general dublin person either for not wanting to attend as it's turkey shoot after Turkey shoot.

Dublin vs Meath final last year had a tiny crowd for that fixture especially when you consider dublin vs meath use to sell out croker for a quarter final when both sets of fans believed either team could win. After two big hammerings I'd imagine they will continue to dwindle.

In 2019 Meath scored 4 points, over 70 minutes of football vs Dublin..

Dublin only scored 1-17... not exactly a massive score put up by Dublin..

So people need to ask why Meath only scored 4 points, in a Leinster final, was it Dublin being too good, or Meath not being good enough....Meath need to accept responsibility for not being good enough too.

Louth, Kildare, Roscommon scored 10 more points against us than Meath and Cork (1-17) all put more scores up against Dublin... Cork scored the same total as Dublin scored against Meath and still lost... by a margin.

The reality is, this is a freak of a team. When you see the raw ability, dedication to their sport, skills, winning... just have to sometimes say... they are TOO good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

What an absolute honor it will be to play Dublin in Croke Park in the All Semi Final. Dublin will not take us for granted like Donegal did yesterday. I do feel we will be beaten by more 10 points nevertheless the Dublin team of the past decade is the best I have seen in my time watching GAA. Instead of the whole country giving out and moaning about Dublins dominance they should be trying to get to Dublins level.

Enjoy it lads it will not last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

piplip87 wrote:
    What an absolute honor it will be to play Dublin in Croke Park in the All Semi Final. Dublin will not take us for granted like Donegal did yesterday. I do feel we will be beaten by more 10 points nevertheless the Dublin team of the past decade is the best I have seen in my time watching GAA. Instead of the whole country giving out and moaning about Dublins dominance they should be trying to get to Dublins level.

piplip87 wrote:
    Enjoy it lads it will not last forever.

Wow, they won't like you on some of the other gaa threads talking sense like that.

Well done yesterday. I'll hold my hand up and admit that i didn't think you had a hope yesterday.

I also thought Monaghan and Down would beat you.

So I'm going for a comfortable Cavan win in the semi-final!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

If we were set to play Donegal in the Semi's, we'd be taking that game very seriously, with no assumption of outcome made at all.

Instead we're playing the team that beat Donegal. Bravado aside, I doubt very, very much that Dessic and Co are thinking ahead to the final much.

If 2020 teaches you one thing, it's don't plan for a game you may not get to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Is it tomorrow or Thursday the refs report goes in on Costelloe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Wow, they won't like you on some of the other gaa threads talking sense like that.

Well done yesterday. I'll hold my hand up and admit that i didn't think you had a hope yesterday.

I also thought Monaghan and Down would beat you.

So I'm going for a comfortable Cavan win in the semi-final!!

I'm afraid I have to jump on the Worship Dublin bandwagon. Recorded it on Saturday to watch later in the night. Twas late when I got to it, so had intended to fast forward a fair bit of it.
    Wasn’t able to. Even though it was a one-sided affair, it was such a perfect performance. The thing about it – it wasn’t a case that the ball bounced well for Dublin and not for Meath. It was the work ethic. I have never seen such determination to win a ball back; harassing the Meath guys. I felt a bit sorry for Paddy Small. I think he is such a talent, but the ball was just falling either side of the posts. And I have no idea what the rest of us are going to do with Brian Fenton. Unmarkable at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

how do people feel the gap could be closed?

pooled sponsorship
    less home games for dublin
    rebalanced investment in other counties
    debt burden for stadium development relieved

hard to rebalance the numbers, and net migration to dublin continues at huge rates

• Advertisement

gourcuff wrote: »

pooled sponsorship

hard to rebalance the numbers, and net migration to dublin continues at huge rates

Pooled Sponsorship

Leinster Council already gets it majority of money rom the Dubs. Which is a reason it is so slow to consider restructuring the Leinster Championship. I think is the major issue of not just the Leinster all provinces. Although with Cavan and Tipps wins. It could paper over the cracks for 50 more years until people get fed up!

Pooling of sponsorship would be a good idea making Counties less dependant on the Leinster Council.

Less home games.

Less home games. Nice in theory. Moving aside from the fact that Dublin's home is Parnell and it was only recently 15 years they were uprooted from PP for the 'Spring Series'

I assume you are classing CP as Dublin's home venue?
    Playing less games in CP has pros and cons

Pros:

1) Dubs love travelling - great day out
    2) Helps local economy
    3) Better atmosphere
    4) In theory Dublin's opponents have a better chance
    5) Locals get to talk about the day we played 'the Dubs' at our field.

Cons:

1) Less tickets for fans
    2) Counties like to get to play in CP the HQ of the GAA
    3) Dublin seem to get more geed up by the atmosphere and seem to play better! Can't go through the motions.
    4) Pitches can be poor
    5) Towns not designed for a large influx of people can be disrupting to locals and chaotic for travelling.

--
    --

Rebalanced investment

Again, this is nice in theory.
    But a number of things have to be there already.

The talent must be there.
    The right people must be there to make use of any talent.
    These people must know how to make use of any resources.

You only have to look at how Dublin struggled for decades despite having some decent players, lots of resources and facilities in the capital.

There is a thing many people do not seem to talk about - relating to investment. The culchie GAA brain drain - not only of players who come to Dublin for work and play for Dublin clubs. Also those in admin and the culchies integrally involved in Dublin clubs and GAA. Many Dublin clubs were founded by culchies and the Dublin love of GAA was passed on by culchies.

Personally, I think that is the biggest imbalance. What if many of these 'exiled culchies' tied in with thier 'home counties/clubs' showed them how things were done in 'the big smoke' with the Jackeens. Wouldn't necessarily have to travel Zoom conferences etc.

Burden on stadium development

Burden on stadium development I would agree on. Can't see a problem with it. As Dublin have a massive advantage when it comes to facilities. So many in the country have to start from scratch. Unless they lean on Universities.

I think many GAA stadiums are too big for purpose anyway. Only end up turning into white elephants. But that is another story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

gourcuff wrote: »

pooled sponsorship

Mod: Please keep this sort of discussion to the current relevant thread here and don't clog up the Dublin thread in fairness to people who don't want to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Whats the story with Howard - he hasnt started the last few games; carrying a knock or just form?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Whats the story with Howard - he hasnt started the last few games; carrying a knock or just form?

Good question. I was thinking they were just minding him. Too good to leave out surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Could just be how Dessie sets things up but it's strange either way!

Could just be how Dessie sets things up but it's strange either way!

Would Howard be set up as this years super sub last 20 minutes etc?

Can play in lots of positions to change tactics if required - fresh against tired legs?

Just keeping him fresh for our next competitive game.

In 2025!!

Would Howard be set up as this years super sub last 20 minutes etc?

Can play in lots of positions to change tactics if required - fresh against tired legs?

Could be something like this but id rather he started.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Just keeping him fresh for our next competitive game.

In 2025!!

I guess Leinster is dead after all why even play him!?

• Advertisement

I guess Leinster is dead after all why even play him!?

Sure Gaelic football is dead :rolleyes:

What will people do with their lives if they didnt have Dublin to obsess over :pac:

Advertisement