Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Job done really not sure where we really are Laois way below decent standard but Meath will be well up for it and we will need our best team from now on a bit like the old days championship really starts now with max 3 games to win out .Next week will be the first Leinster final in a long time i will have a very slight doubt so hope to hit the ground running and prove me well wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Job done really not sure where we really are Laois way below decent standard but Meath will be well up for it and we will need our best team from now on a bit like the old days championship really starts now with max 3 games to win out .Next week will be the first Leinster final in a long time i will have a very slight doubt so hope to hit the ground running and prove me well wrong .

If they cut the sloppy mistakes should be no issues against Meath. It will be a test im sure as Meath will want to make up for last year but ultimately Dublin should have way to much.

You would be seriously pissed off not to be winning Leinster handy each year the standard its at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You would be seriously pissed off not to be winning Leinster handy each year the standard its at these days.

Aye and it's knockout football this year, so no do overs, no backdoor, they need to go out and make a decent statement against a mediocre Meath side!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye and it's knockout football this year, so no do overs, no backdoor, they need to go out and make a decent statement against a mediocre Meath side!

If they both get threw their finals Dublin Donegal could be a great game almost a final in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Inquitus wrote:

Persuming donegal and dublin meet in the semi final, you'd have to think whoever wins that would be raging hot favourites whoever they play in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,359 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Persuming donegal and dublin meet in the semi final, you'd have to think whoever wins that would be raging hot favourites whoever they play in the final.

Mayo 4 Sam? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Mayo 4 Sam?

Well they have a great chance to make the final tbf.

But you just imagine they'll find some way of losing it, no matter who they play.

Mayo 4 Sam? :D

I’d rather see Glasgow Rangers win it.

Dunno what to make of Mayo one minute they look very tidy next they go completely cold.

Galway lost the game there today. Walsh missed two frees and made a mess of play in the last few minutes that should of at least got them extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I pity the county that does lose a final to Mayo because the coverage will be unreal and the losers will have the final brought all the time across all media for yonks at least you will not have endure the final in person the only saving grace .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I pity the county that does lose a final to Mayo because the coverage will be unreal and the losers will have the final brought all the time across all media for yonks at least you will not have endure the final in person the only saving grace .

I am quite happy living in the current world where Mayo never win another Football All-Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,943 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dunno what to make of Mayo one minute they look very tidy next they go completely cold.

Galway lost the game there today. Walsh missed two frees and made a mess of play in the last few minutes that should of at least got them extra time.

Looked like when Galway got around the Mayo 45 in the last 15 minutes, they just ran out of legs and ideas... no real inventiveness that could cut through Mayo, no handy point opportunities either.

Half of Mayo's team debuting this year. They'll be a threat for the next few years, best of luck to them, we've been gifted some great games over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I wouldn't be so quick as some in dismissing Mayo. Short odds now to make the final. Did look like they would win easily in first quarter and then seemed again to have put Galway away with 7/8 left on clock. Last few minutes were mad but they held on. Assuming Dublin and Mayo do make the final I'd be expecting a challenge at least as strong as in previous encounters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We should be hammering these we would have been miles ahead by now in previous years.

There's something missing up-front there not moving the ball quick enough cutting teams apart in the same manner.

There's a horrible causal attitude leaking into the team as well which would never have been seen under Jim.

We actually saw this with Jim loads but we just remember the good stuff. We all seem to be becoming hyper critical of this team, this amazing team.

They are human after all, its good to be reminded of that sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

We actually saw this with Jim loads but we just remember the good stuff. We all seem to be becoming hyper critical of this team, this amazing team.

They are human after all, its good to be reminded of that sometimes
    Fully agree

Plenty of games under Gavin where we were slow out of the blocks only to blow teams away in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You just can't read too much into these games. All you want to see is lads playing well, looking sharp, hungry, getting fitter and most importantly, not getting injured.

We're looking good though and will hopefully get a proper game against Meath, who look like they're improving.

Onwards.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick as some in dismissing Mayo. Short odds now to make the final. Did look like they would win easily in first quarter and then seemed again to have put Galway away with 7/8 left on clock. Last few minutes were mad but they held on. Assuming Dublin and Mayo do make the final I'd be expecting a challenge at least as strong as in previous encounters.

Nine debutants on the team. We are not near as strong as any team we had in the last decade. Handy route to the final this year(Kerry must be livid). We'll need a covid positive test for the Dublin squad to win Sam this year.

If they get to the final it will be completely unexpected. Not many division 2 teams have got to an All Ireland in the last decade, especially with debutantes. Medal in the pocket today, so bonus territory now. Very few teams in such transition would be anywhere near a final.

Pretty much every game Ive seen Dublin play this year they have done it a couple of times during a game made silly unforced errors and mistakes some games worse then others.

The decision making isn't as close knit as usual either. Your seeing a few players taking on things the team wouldn't of done in the past like Paddy Small today for example trying to do it all on his own. The difference when Mannion came on and played more sensibly and for the team.

I'm not saying where off the ball there's a huge drop in performance levels etc etc what im saying is this is the stuff which has won us games and All Ireland's over the years where other teams have failed.

Your obviously gonna get a stage where we could drop off a bit its bound to happen but its annoying when its unforced and reckless in nature.

Our forward line hasn't clicked this season in the way it had been in previous years and i dunno if its mainly down to departures or a different setup by management. I mentioned it early on look how quiet Con has been since hes come back from injury for example.

To be honest though i think in most cases we usually improve as the game goes on but you would worry a slow sloppy start against a better team on a windy wet night could end up a totally different outcome.

At the end of the day where winning games and i wouldn't exactly be shocked to see us win sam again this year but i wouldn't be surprised to see a slip up somewhere either.

If it wasnt for players like Mc Carthy Kilkenny Rock Fenton or Cluxton for example you might actually see these errors and laspes in judgement do a lot more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nine debutants on the team. We are not near as strong as any team we had in the last decade. Handy route to the final this year(Kerry must be livid). We'll need a covid positive test for the Dublin squad to win Sam this year.

If they get to the final it will be completely unexpected. Not many division 2 teams have got to an All Ireland in the last decade, especially with debutantes. Medal in the pocket today, so bonus territory now. Very few teams in such transition would be anywhere near a final.

You're not a division 2 team yet. Jesus that's some bit of violining.

It's really set up for a Mayo win. The stars are aligning. Wouldn't begrudge ye. If ye win though I hope we're nowhere near the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Impossible to tell where we are at.

Sculls, Kilkenny, Fenton looked great. Costello was up for it when he came on.

Meath have 12 goals in two games, there is something about them. Donegal after that will be a real challenge. With the games coming quick and fast, the team with the easier route (Mayo) could win this.

Just watched the Meath match. They are atrocious starters. Same in i think every league match but they are getting back the old bite and deserved it. Will be interesting final.

Kildare contributed to their own downfall. not given to psychological explanations of sport too much, but they literally gave up. The mistakes for three of the goals were under 12s standard. Kerry management not travelling well in Leinster for sure!

Trying to find out through club whether Dublin will wear the 1920 replica jersey on Saturday, but no response so far.

Anyone hear anything? Tipp's sponsors did not object to their wearing the Grangemockler one for the Munster final, so i am assuming that AIG have the final say on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Trying to find out through club whether Dublin will wear the 1920 replica jersey on Saturday, but no response so far.

Anyone hear anything? Tipp's sponsors did not object to their wearing the Grangemockler one for the Munster final, so i am assuming that AIG have the final say on this?

I wouldn't say anything about the "final say" yet. But it would help that we would ask first.

I would love if we did.

I've tweeted the CB anyway.

Should definitely mark it in some way other than the banner on the Hill. They and Tipp were due to play around this time before the virus, so I assume they were both planning to wear the jersies worn by the counties on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Should definitely mark it in some way other than the banner on the Hill. They and Tipp were due to play around this time before the virus, so I assume they were both planning to wear the jersies worn by the counties on the day.

Would be a great tribute. Playing on the same date in the same ground 100 years on.

Would be a great tribute. Playing on the same date in the same ground 100 years on.

To be honest I am a bit mixed about this tribute. Grand people are being remembered but it seems through a very narrow prism.

There were mentions of the anniversary of Kevin Barry's death recently on the news. Only mentioned in passing that the British soldier he shot was a few years younger than him. No mention of the soldiers name Private Harold Washington.

It is almost like the Hill 16 chant - 'Hill 16 for Dublin only!'
    Except now it is "Irish history retold by one side only"!

I bet many still believe the myth (which is not true) that Hill 16 was built from the rubble of 1916.
    And people know little of it's previous name Hill 60 (from a WWI battle in Gallipoli Turkey) and how it was only renamed Hill 16 sometime in the 30's!

All the 'Bloody Sunday' talk makes me uneasy. Renaming of Russell Street Bridge/Clonliffe Bridge to "Bloody Sunday Bridge" recently seems a bit macabre.

https://dublinpeople.com/news/northsideeast/articles/2020/11/12/32521/

Hardly a nice catchy name is it?

To me there is an air of 'dining out' on past atrocities. And only if they suit a particular viewpoint or idea. Seems very wrong to me on a lot of levels.

Having the Tipperary or Dublin 1920's jersey's is a nice idea in some ways.
    But in others it seems a bit off 'dining out' in the macabre as I said.

Plus when you remember that the Hogan stand was renamed after a Tipp player - it is clear that there is no fear of Bloody Sunday being forgotten.

However, it is also clear that the view of history can be one sided even by a supposed apolitical organisation like the GAA. With clubs named after fallen rebels and so on.

In my view far nicer touch than renaming the Canal End the Davin End in 2006, would have been to name it after any Garda killed by the IRA.

For example, someone like Garda Gary Sheehan. He was shot in 1983 during a hostage rescue attempt, by the provisional IRA. He was a member of Carrick Emmets CLG in Monaghan.

It would show that the GAA is not from a completely one sided political viewpoint, when it comes to celebration of the GAA community who were tragically murdered.

However, I feel that that the Ulster Council would make damn sure it would never happen?

Let the British remember their own and we’ll commemorate ours. Remember our own Garda fine, but no British soldier deserves a name no matter how they died or at what age from our perspective.

Let the British remember their own and we’ll commemorate ours. Remember our own Garda fine, but no British soldier deserves a name no matter how they died or at what age from our perspective.

My point is no Garda shot by the IRA will ever be remembered by the GAA because they will toe the line for the Ulster Council. James Connolly was a British trained soldier (served in the Royal Scots Regiment) by the way and he is well remembered. He wasn't even born in Ireland!

History is not as black and white as people like to pretend. Personally I think it is about time the GAA had the balls to move beyond a blinkered narrative of the past. After all they are supposed to be apolitical. Or is it in name only?

• Advertisement

My point is no Garda shot by the IRA will ever be remembered by the GAA because they will toe the line for the Ulster Council. James Connolly was a British soldier by the way and he is well remembered. Plus he wasn't even Irish!

History is not as black and white as people like to pretend. Personally I think it is about time the GAA had the balls to move beyond a blinkered narrative of the past. After all they are supposed to be apolitical. Or is it in name only?

It’s not black and white but that’s why everyone should pay tribute to their own. Do you think the British are commemorating the many people they killed here? They are in their holes.
    The GAA have no obligation to commemorate the British, nor should they have. They can do that themselves. The worst of these commemorations is that it drags all this “look how enlightened I am” rubbish out of the woodwork.

Advertisement