Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

CramCycle wrote: »
    I love your optimism

Misplaced I know but you need something to keep you going...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

P_1 wrote: »
    Misplaced I know but you need something to keep you going...
    I am somewhat jealous of you

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Actually seeing a big upswing in the numbers on bikes to go about their business or just riding around locally. Dusted off the old bicycle shaped object in the shed and headed out on it. Maybe they feel they can get from A to B and back to A faster and can stay further away from people while going there? Well not the idiots who ride the footpaths :rolleyes:

One nice thing about the lockdown, in my area at least, is the huge upsurge in people cycling with their kids. I guess with the light traffic they feel more confident about going out on the road with them. Long may it last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

a148pro wrote: »
    Despite the cat calling this has nothing to do with me. Beyond expressing my own experience of it I've sought a rational debate on the likely effectiveness of the measure. I've gotten limited and at times very informative engagement with that question, some of that engagement has changed my thinking on a lot of aspects. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to adopt a green jersey agenda and harangue instead of engaging. Its a pity people don't seem capable of rational debate but maybe that's to be expected in the circumstances, and this is the internet after all, you don't want to get caught out from the crowd thinking, right? But really, if you've nothing to offer why bother with abuse or pressing the cliche button of me just sulking. Either it's rationally justifiable or it's not. There haven't been particularly strong arguments in favour of it.

What's "crowd thinking" in this context? Do you mean "wisdom of the crowd"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

It's a bit like herd immunity only mental

I think sometimes on the internet, and maybe in real life there can be an echo chamber, a consensus and default position is to attack anyone departing from the consensus. Kind of tribal thing. I'm not saying that the consensus here isn't right or isn't the best way of thinking, it probably is, I'm just referring to the tone of the argument or the lack of argument

• Advertisement

There is another good argument for the 2k, which I think people mentioned above, which is the need for general blanket easy to follow rules.

Also, if we are allowed travel to exercise in quieter locations then the reality is more and more people will travel, more and more people will stop for petrol and food, more and more people will have breakdowns, use toilets and get injured, leading to more unnecessary close interactions in different geographical areas. So on a macro level if you shut everything down you get less of these interactions.

And while it would be possible to allow some exceptions and still be effective it's difficult to employ a nuanced approach in this situation. Hopefully they will at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Despite the cat calling this has nothing to do with me. Beyond expressing my own experience of it I've sought a rational debate on the likely effectiveness of the measure. I've gotten limited and at times very informative engagement with that question, some of that engagement has changed my thinking on a lot of aspects. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to adopt a green jersey agenda and harangue instead of engaging. Its a pity people don't seem capable of rational debate but maybe that's to be expected in the circumstances, and this is the internet after all, you don't want to get caught out from the crowd thinking, right? But really, if you've nothing to offer why bother with abuse or pressing the cliche button of me just sulking. Either it's rationally justifiable or it's not. There haven't been particularly strong arguments in favour of it.

There have been strong arguments in favor of it, it’s just that you don’t want to hear them. You been asked to stay 2km from home for brief periods but in typical “paddy” fashion you keep looking for ways around it. Just stick to it, it’s not going to kill you. Oh, and abuse? Lol.

It's a bit like herd immunity only mental

I think sometimes on the internet, and maybe in real life there can be an echo chamber, a consensus and default position is to attack anyone departing from the consensus. Kind of tribal thing. I'm not saying that the consensus here isn't right or isn't the best way of thinking, it probably is, I'm just referring to the tone of the argument or the lack of argument

So, you're talking about herd mentality, really. In this case it's more wisdom of the crowd, no?

Aristotle put it as: "it is possible that the many, though not individually good men, yet when they come together may be better, not individually but collectively, than those who are so, just as public dinners to which many contribute are better than those supplied at one man's cost"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is another good argument for the 2k, which I think people mentioned above, which is the need for general blanket easy to follow rules.

Also, if we are allowed travel to exercise in quieter locations then the reality is more and more people will travel, more and more people will stop for petrol and food, more and more people will have breakdowns, use toilets and get injured, leading to more unnecessary close interactions in different geographical areas. So on a macro level if you shut everything down you get less of these interactions.

And while it would be possible to allow some exceptions and still be effective it's difficult to employ a nuanced approach in this situation. Hopefully they will at some point.

So you get it then? Blanket rules in conditions like this that are easy to understand and easy to follow are always the best. You start making exceptions and the point of the rules is lost. A nuanced approach will not come to fruition, there will be a mild increase or decrease in the restrictions over time. That is it.

There have been strong arguments in favor of it, it’s just that you don’t want to hear them. You been asked to stay 2km from home for brief periods but in typical “paddy” fashion you keep looking for ways around it. Just stick to it, it’s not going to kill you. Oh, and abuse? Lol.

You've just entirely proven my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

A148pro, Did it ever once occur to you that maybe, just maybe, you're wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Or that he's the only one actually bothered to interact with you guys!

This is starting to be like a WWE match. Are you tagging in for him/her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Couple of things jump out from a 74 page thread such as this..

Firstly, what happened to #Bekind? The latest legislation on staying at home and social distancing is, somewhat open to interpretation. In a crisis, it’s better to act, rather than stand by and do nowt but the legislation shouldn’t divide us as a group because of a standpoint or viewpoint.

Bickering, name calling and rants aren’t going to get us through this crisis sane.

I’ve just checked the updated page on gov.ie and it doesn’t say that you can’t go out and exercise (it states that you can) and whether it did say brief exercise, (and the whole barrack lawyering on that phrase) it now says within 2km of your home, nothing more.

80k loops pushing the boundary of a radius isn’t in the spirit of what we’ve been asked but surely the risk of kids and indeed adults wobble riding on footpaths beside busy roads is just as risky and likely to be a burden on stretched Services?

One great piece of advice from elsewhere to get through this we have to do 2 things..
    1. Do what we’re told

2. Don’t be a di€k

I’m still sticking on my turbo and an isolated walk but let’s just stay civil and look forward to sunnier days in the saddle on the open road..

Keep well all.

My heart lifted, but I'm still unsure, is he / she on my side or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ive started jogging , I had been doing a lot of gym work and cycling yet not feeling the carryover as much as I though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Everyone who agrees with me is out cycling. I'm the worst type of fecker, who spinelessly complies but goes on and on about how bad it is.

WWF, surely? I'm obviously not down with the modern lingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Everyone who agrees with me is out cycling.

That was genuinely funny. :)

Everyone in my area who never cycled before is suddenly out on their bike and I'm suddenly the couch potato.

I normally do ~250km a week buy can only see negatives resulting from either:
    Using rollers for the next few weeks/months OR
    Doing crappy laps of the 2km radius trying to get "around" the rules

So I've absolutely zero interest in either of those options, TBH.

In the meantime I'll probably get fatter and unhealthier and put a little more strain on the health services though! What a set of choices!

• Advertisement

ckeego wrote: »
    Clook forward to sunnier days in the saddle on the open road..

Can you imagine how amazing its going to feel when we do get out! All the simple wonderful things we have taken for granted.

It will be like VE day for our generation when it ends, there'll be some party!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

, there'll be some party!

and we will all catch covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did a Red C survey this morning.
    The last question was about what three things I'd do when all this is over.
    I had to demote "going for a cycle" to 3rd place, when I remembered "seeing my grandchildren" and "taking my wife out for a meal".

Can you imagine how amazing its going to feel when we do get out! All the simple wonderful things we have taken for granted.

It will be like VE day for our generation when it ends, there'll be some party!

VE Day? That’s a weird reference point?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

VE Day? That’s a weird reference point?

Not if you're over 90! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I do know of 2 essential workers who have taken to cycling to work as the roads are quieter now plus it gives them a fresh air breather from the stress of what they are working at. It would be great to have this continue after this is all over - I always feel better the odd time I'm after cycling to work than hopping onto the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

silverharp wrote: »
    Ive started jogging , I had been doing a lot of gym work and cycling yet not feeling the carryover as much as I though

I don’t have rollers or a turbo so thought I’d try a bit of jogging. Haven’t been for a run in about 10 years. I managed to get 3km before my leg muscles started tightening into knots. Had to walk home the last 2km.
    I suffered more muscle soreness afterwards than I’d get from a 200km spin on the bike.

Don’t think I’ll try that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

silverharp wrote: »

Where cycling really kicks in for running is climbing. You'd probably murder slightly more experienced runners going up, but they'd wizz past on the descents. Ease in gently. Plenty of time to adapt!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i once walked up six flights of stairs with a chap in work who's a jogger, and i was pleasantly surprised at how well i fared compared to him.

• Advertisement

hesker wrote: »
    I don’t have rollers or a turbo so thought I’d try a bit of jogging. Haven’t been for a run in about 10 years. I managed to get 3km before my leg muscles started tightening into knots. Had to walk home the last 2km.
    I suffered more muscle soreness afterwards than I’d get from a 200km spin on the bike.

Don’t think I’ll try that again.

I got notions myself this week and tried a run, sure my achillies haven't really bothered me in years I thought and was quickly reminded why my achillies don't bother me so much and why I ride instead of run these days :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement