Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hesker wrote: »
    Not quite. More like 16km ;)
    correct, if you include the trip in and out from the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

hesker wrote: »
    Not quite. More like 16km ;)
    2 pi R???

Just under 13k, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks.
    I just couldn't get my head around it.
    I kept trying to make the road within a circle.
    Grid makes perfect sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ckeego wrote: »
    2 pi R???

Just under 13k, no?
    you have to get to and from your home in the centre of the circle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

it's perfectly theoretically possible. i suspect manhattan or another grid city would be easiest to visualise it on.....
    I tried a bit of that a few years ago but it got very tedious (and the wind chill factor was unreal - probably the driest coldest ride I've ever had!).

https://www.strava.com/activities/822523428

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

2016 wrote: »
    The problem is that "brief" is open to interpretation.

I think lots of serious cyclists would genuinely think 1hr as a brief cycle, and think if they kept to <2km then they would be adhering to guidelines.

For the record, France which has one of the strictest lockdowns defines "brief" as 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Genuine question:

Does any 42km loop exist on any road, which is no more than 2km away from a point on that road?
    I can't envisage what such a road would look like on a map.

Can you cycle out to the perimeter and then spiral back in? If you have a 12.5 sq km open area, you could ride for as long as you want... or for as long as 'brief' allows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

2016 wrote: »
    The problem is that "brief" is open to interpretation.

I think lots of serious cyclists would genuinely think 1hr as a brief cycle, and think if they kept to <2km then they would be adhering to guidelines.

True, though if you're looking to engage with the spirit of what has been asked as opposed to the letter, I doubt the government had serious cyclists in mind when they used the word brief. An audaxer would consider a 100km spin to be brief ;)

I reckon the time has been left a little ambiguous to allow people to exercise their own best judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Audaxers are down to 1% of a 200 and most of us have hung up our cleats.

I'm running and doing plenty of strength and conditioning exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deekster

This is pretty darn cool in a sorta dystopian way...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Audaxers are down to 1% of a 200 and most of us have hung up our cleats.

I'm running and doing plenty of strength and conditioning exercises.

I'm taking 30 minutes on the bike or walking for head space each day and kettle bells, turbo and taiji for additional exercise. Still working full time at a desk so a small amount of solo outdoor time is important for the sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I also do a 30min spin to destress before/after sitting at my desk all day. Nice quite road with a hill thrown in helps as well.

This guy on GCN suggests it's good for your mental health:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YIZsfc2maDE&t=921s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

a148pro, is this you?
    Sé O’Hanlon (78) is not a happy man. On these shiny, bright Spring days he does not take kindly to being told “níl cead agat dul amach” beyond his Dublin front door.

He “totally, totally” agrees with the Government cocooning restrictions, but . . . well, “on the bike I meet no one.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/on-the-bike-i-meet-no-one-78-year-old-cyclist-refuses-to-cocoon-1.4217736

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I wonder could Cee-Jay-Cee help me out?

I’ve examined all the roads around my house. The biggest loop I can find within the 2km range is 8.2km.

You’d need to be in a city area to get over 20km in a 2km radius I’d say.

Previously I’d be out maybe 1 or 2 times during the week and a longer spin at the weekend but I’ve been out every day since Friday for an hour or so as I’ve been sticking close to home and it does get tedious after a while. Hopefully in a month or so the restrictions might be lessened to allow longer spins. A 10km radius would be great as I could do a 50km loop and stay within that limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, still looking as unlikely that the TDF will go ahead this year...

Here's to TDF 2021

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/sport/tour-de-france-coronavirus-spt-intl/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

buffalo wrote: »

It's funny I was going to post and suggest he be arrested on the spot

By the way, I can only comment on the situation near me, but it looks like the luas has broken down or something and everyone out walking and jogging. I can emphatically say that cycling off on your own in the hills is about a hundred times less likely to lead to transfer, on any rational construction, than exercising locally. Not to mention essential infrastructure such as offies being open and there being no limit on visits to supermarkets etc

But yis can throw me and that aul lad in jail and then quietly let us out the backdoor to our waiting bikes in about three weeks time when we will hopefully some kind of relaxation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

a148pro wrote: »
    By the way, I can only comment on the situation near me, but it looks like the luas has broken down or something and everyone out walking and jogging. I can emphatically say that cycling off on your own in the hills is about a hundred times less likely to lead to transfer, on any rational construction, than exercising locally. Not to mention essential infrastructure such as offies being open and there being no limit on visits to supermarkets etc

But yis can throw me and that aul lad in jail and then quietly let us out the backdoor to our waiting bikes in about three weeks time when we will hopefully some kind of relaxation
    I cannot think of anyone that has suffered as much as you! How DO you keep going?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

a148pro wrote: »

And still the focus on the virus transfer. What about getting hurt on said cycle in the hills and take up medical services that are stretched to breaking point.
    I'm frustrated about not getting out, but will stick to the turbo for the foreseeable, I'd be wracked with guilt if I went out on the road and got hurt

Actually seeing a big upswing in the numbers on bikes to go about their business or just riding around locally. Dusted off the old bicycle shaped object in the shed and headed out on it. Maybe they feel they can get from A to B and back to A faster and can stay further away from people while going there? Well not the idiots who ride the footpaths :rolleyes:

Still, nice to think that maybe when this is over people will be in the habit of cycling or going for a walk or what ever and keep it up.

Also met a fair few men pushing buggies solo this week.... I was one of them :o

EDIT: I'm reminded of the thread on greeting a fellow cyclist , and when two lads pushing a buggy pass each other there is a knowing nod exchanged .... every time :D

• Advertisement

I agree with your main poaint, but we're not actually told not to cycle and stay home. Brief daily exercise within the 2km is permitted.

Ah, in my opinion a 2km radius from home is effectively a ban on cycling, i particular in urban areas.

Having said that, I see enough people doing 5km laps just because the area is 2km from home.

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    And still the focus on the virus transfer. What about getting hurt on said cycle in the hills and take up medical services that are stretched to breaking point.
    I'm frustrated about not getting out, but will stick to the turbo for the foreseeable, I'd be wracked with guilt if I went out on the road and got hurt

While I agree with being super cautious, I believe that by bringing in a 2km from home limit effectively bans cycling for fitness, fine for going to the local shop for milk/bread but that's about it.

Cycling is pretty much a safe form of transport where the danger is almost all from drivers.

Put out more GoSafe vans and roads Police, introduce temporary lower speed limits, as you can observe with clear roads drivers are using bus lanes more and travelling over the speed limits...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My partner went for a walk yesterday, muppets on bikes with their teenage kids on bikes on the f'in footpath. Over the 3km walk, there was 2 cars passed them, what were they on the f'in footpath for. Mother of God, Muppets.

Also, sorry I clarified their kids were on bikes because when I wrote it without the clarification it sounded like the kids were getting a crosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I have found a 13km loop, plus 500m in and out to the loop around my house, Did three laps of that yesterday, and was happy to get out at all.
    I've no necessity to do 6 or 7 laps of it, I just want to keep up with fitness as jogging is a no-go with my knees (as is all impact sport).
    I have lost about 7 pounds since this exclusion came in on return from holiday by walking and cycling on alternate days.

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »

I think there will be more DIY injuries and self harm type incidents than there would be cycling injuries. I've yet to hear anyone express the limiting injuries rationale, at least in this country, it was in italy and spain but there cycling was specifically banned, it isn't here.

But in fairness, I did hear I think Simon Harris give a different rationale for the 2k on the radio today, when he said it was designed to build up knowledge of where in the country the virus is. But with 1500 tests a day at the moment that's going nowhere. Also, there are populations right to the foot of the mountains and then close to no one living in them so I'm not sure how probative that would be.

I've observed it diligently as I have all other measures but I remain to be convinced of it's benefit and I see a whole lot worse **** going on.

Think I mentioned here about the last time I was in hospital. Piece of glass wedged in my shoe while out for a walk and could feel it pricking my heel but not cutting me. Took out my keys and tried to pry it out and the key slipped, nicking my thumb. Had another go and same thing only cut myself to the bone and needed 3 or 4 stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Actually seeing a big upswing in the numbers on bikes to go about their business or just riding around locally. Dusted off the old bicycle shaped object in the shed and headed out on it. Maybe they feel they can get from A to B and back to A faster and can stay further away from people while going there? Well not the idiots who ride the footpaths :rolleyes:

Still, nice to think that maybe when this is over people will be in the habit of cycling or going for a walk or what ever and keep it up.

Also met a fair few men pushing buggies solo this week.... I was one of them :o

EDIT: I'm reminded of the thread on greeting a fellow cyclist , and when two lads pushing a buggy pass each other there is a knowing nod exchanged .... every time :D

This is hopefully going to be the key positive from all this. More folk using the bike to get around leading to less people acting the eejit in a car around folk on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I’ve examined all the roads around my house. The biggest loop I can find within the 2km range is 8.2km.

You’d need to be in a city area to get over 20km in a 2km radius I’d say.

Previously I’d be out maybe 1 or 2 times during the week and a longer spin at the weekend but I’ve been out every day since Friday for an hour or so as I’ve been sticking close to home and it does get tedious after a while. Hopefully in a month or so the restrictions might be lessened to allow longer spins. A 10km radius would be great as I could do a 50km loop and stay within that limit.

Set up your spinning rig.

I cannot think of anyone that has suffered as much as you! How DO you keep going?

Despite the cat calling this has nothing to do with me. Beyond expressing my own experience of it I've sought a rational debate on the likely effectiveness of the measure. I've gotten limited and at times very informative engagement with that question, some of that engagement has changed my thinking on a lot of aspects. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to adopt a green jersey agenda and harangue instead of engaging. Its a pity people don't seem capable of rational debate but maybe that's to be expected in the circumstances, and this is the internet after all, you don't want to get caught out from the crowd thinking, right? But really, if you've nothing to offer why bother with abuse or pressing the cliche button of me just sulking. Either it's rationally justifiable or it's not. There haven't been particularly strong arguments in favour of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

P_1 wrote: »
    This is hopefully going to be the key positive from all this. More folk using the bike to get around leading to less people acting the eejit in a car around folk on bikes.

I love your optimism

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement