Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

silverharp wrote: »
    What I was planning to do was go for my 30min 2KM radius spin but include interval style as one might do in the gym. Ill see what works better , tabata style 20 seconds on 10 seconds off or cycle hard for 1min rest 1 min. I have a decent block to ride around that has 2 long straight road and few if any lights.

Sounds like an excellent idea . 30 mins is plenty for that

Is anyone going out in their bibs /tights (for the padding ) or just throwing on a pair of track suit bottoms and a jacket ?

One person made a good point earlier about how being dolled up in the usual cycling gear will attract suspicion and unwanted attention ,even if you are strictly adhering to 30 mins and the 2km zone and can prove it .

The cops are patrolling the area in cars around where I am and there’s even a helicopter covering about town .

What is it?
    Is it like Motor Tax? ;)

Hey, lol, I am simply using the specific terms those fools used (not referring to the poster that I directed the comment to, NOT )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,855 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sounds like an excellent idea . 30 mins is plenty for that

Is anyone going out in their bibs /tights (for the padding ) or just throwing on a pair of track suit bottoms and a jacket ?

One person made a good point earlier about how being dolled up in the usual cycling gear will attract suspicion and unwanted attention ,even if you are strictly adhering to 30 mins and the 2km zone and can prove it .

The cops are patrolling the area in cars around where I am and there’s even a helicopter covering about town .

thanks! yeah normal shorts and a hoody :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just tie a lawnmower to your bike, and tow it along behind you on your cycle. your 15 minute spin will end up feeling like you've been out for two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I tbink you know the answer to that. There is no do not cycle directive nor is there a 2km commute limit....
    It was a rhetorical question in response to a comment made by another poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halvis

I always think people on expensive bikes wearing trackies are either bike thieves or dealers, but that maybe just me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

halvis wrote: »
    I always think people on expensive bikes wearing trackies are either bike thieves or dealers, but that maybe just me. :)
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Big difference between a speech and what is in legislation 🙄 . The legislation is silent. If the Oireachtas intended to define the term, they would have ,in the legislation

What is your point? Look at a dictionary for a definition of brief. Then as Cram Cycle said, before a judge, the intention of the measure comes into reckoning. In my view, and many others here, the intention is to keep people indoors as much as possible, so brief exxercise would be easily framed as a rather short period of time, and definately less than one hour.

Somehow, i guess you are more interested in picking holes in public health legislation than sticking to the spirit of it in these terrible times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It was a rhetorical question in response to a comment made by another poster.

I know. Enjoy your cycling commutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

just tie a lawnmower to your bike, and tow it along behind you on your cycle. your 15 minute spin will end up feeling like you've been out for two hours.

Like others, I've been doing a lot of garden work. Full body work out, fresh air and a tremendous sense of satisfaction when job done.

Not available to everyone of course , apartment living, new builds with postage stamp gardens etc, but where possible it's done.

Enjoyed the company of a line bumble bee the last few days and some blackbirds and robins.hard to beat.

Have a turbo set up, but can't be bothered too much just yet.

• Advertisement

I did my Tabata routine using Ailesbury Road and N11 recovery down Nutley, 2 laps was plenty. Every other day should be good enough

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

silverharp wrote: »
    I did my Tabata routine using Ailesbury Road and N11 recovery down Nutley, 2 laps was plenty. Every other day should be good enough

I did something similar over lunch, but forgot about Ailesbury Road as another straight-line option - will be using this route going forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I can’t see any issue with doing a 30 minute cycle within your 2km radius, my family and I have adhered to all social distancing rules etc, kids have not left the estate since the schools closed, have not brought them to a supermarket etc etc etc,

Getting out for 30 mins on the bike, on your own, within your 2km radius, is fine in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

wfh be like....

kickstand-furniture-example-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,036 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This issue is logically quite simple.

The criteria for outdoor exercise (or anything else in this epidemic) is

(a) don't breach the rules
    AND
    (b) don't increase the risk to yourself or anyone else

That's AND, not OR.

You are required to follow the rules even when breaking them would not be unsafe.

I can quite safely cycle round the Wicklow mountains all day in PPE, but that breaches the rules and so I shouldn't, not least because doing so winds people up and distracts the Gardai from other more important stuff they're supposed to be doing.

_JOE_ wrote: »
    I did something similar over lunch, but forgot about Ailesbury Road as another straight-line option - will be using this route going forward!

The road quality isn't great on Ailesbury but its good enough and quiet.

halvis wrote: »

You wouldn’t be the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I hadn't checked in on this thread for a couple of days and have to say I've been thoroughly entertained reading through all posters replies and thoughts on the topic and the legality of the situation. So thanks all for that.

One of the more scary side effects to come out of this currently for myself is the realisation that there is a lack of common sense possessed by the average adult.

Everyone seems to be happy to act as a society when it benefits them but as soon as there is some degree of inconvience or restriction put in place there seems to be a real attitude of "well it's not me or mine so I'm just going to keep going."

People were asked to exercise social distancing and to be sensible about where you go and not to gather in large groups. There was also suggestions made that unnecessary trips outside should be reduced in so far as possible.

What happened? We all decided to head for a picnic and act like it was the August Bank Holiday. I've never seen the parks/forests as busy (cruagh/glendalough/hellfire/lead mines etc).

For the benefit of literally everyone (I don't care how young you are I don't think anyone would want a bad dose of this) we're being asked to stay inside and only make necessary trips to get food, medicine or to help elderly parents or neighbours and from looking on Strava and from reading this thread some people seem more concerned about the wording around the announcement and if there is anyway to get around it.

There's a thread on here titled "wimp list" in which people either decide not to train or get on a bike in slightly bad weather but in the face of a global pandemic decide now's the time to take that KOM or that now is the time to improve my Ironman time (think one poster on here actually mentioned something like that).

I get it. I do. I, like some on here, had great plans for the year. Aiming for the Rás and then 3-4 weeks of racing in the Netherlands and Belgium.

I'm now having to fill the void by spending time on the turbo. Luckily the majority of the mental effects of riding a bike outside can still be gained from riding indoors. I don't really believe Serotonin can tell the difference between inside and out.

The majority of pro riders are in the same boat. There is plenty to do so getting bored inside in this day and age shouldn't be the case. Everyone, myself included, always talks about "if only I had time".

Learn a language whether it be French or Python. If you've always had a little niggling injury take the time to foam roll and stretch and maybe get into yoga. Maybe food has always been your biggest issue so why not take the time to study up on nutrition and how you should be eating day to day Vs your event on when you're on the bike.

If all of that doesn't work for you then fine but please don't be the d!ck that furthers the dislike and in some cases hatred people have for cyclists.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    What is your point? Look at a dictionary for a definition of brief. Then as Cram Cycle said, before a judge, the intention of the measure comes into reckoning. In my view, and many others here, the intention is to keep people indoors as much as possible, so brief exxercise would be easily framed as a rather short period of time, and definately less than one hour.

Somehow, i guess you are more interested in picking holes in public health legislation than sticking to the spirit of it in these terrible times.

That’s not always how the courts correctly interpret legislation ,especially when it concerns civil liberties (which aren’t absolute ) it now that’s getting off topic. The point, and we both agree , we comply with what we are told to do. Brief exercise within 2km

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Socially unacceptable , Says who? The usual clowns always whinging about cyclists and often utter laughably Ill informed statements ?

Since you are quoting me I presume your rant is directed at me. I am not anti cyclist - I cycle regularly like most people posting here
    One more time, it is permit able to go outside and ride your bike, provided that you say within 2 km . Severe restrictions on every other day to day activities are in place , bar this alleged socially unacceptable activity

Funny you advocate turbo training, where one is in a room (even with a fan) where one will be sweating like a pig, coughing and spluttering ....(not everyone has access to turbo outside in the yard )

Mind your own business, boyo

I have a suggestion: next time you're out on your vitally important 30th lap around your local 2km loop and a garda stops you to check your bona fides, tell him that you don't give a f*** about him risking his health and wasting his time, just tell him to "mind your own business boyo". I'm sure he/she will understand and leave you to finish your training spin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

If you can't have a civil conversation, don't post here. Any more tearing strips off one another and we'll issue sanctions.

Be nice.

Since you are quoting me I presume your rant is directed at me. I am not anti cyclist - I cycle regularly like most people posting here

I have a suggestion: next time you're out on your vitally important 30th lap around your local 2km loop and a garda stops you to check your bona fides, tell him that you don't give a f*** about him risking his health and wasting his time, just tell him to "mind your own business boyo". I'm sure he/she will understand and leave you to finish your training spin.

I , I didn’t direct that at you or any poster , personally . I made that quiet clear in another post responding to a joke about motor /road tax .

Here’s a suggestion, read in full what people actually say. Re-read again if in doubt, and don’t jump to conclusions , you don’t have a leg to stand on , it ain’t cool

No one has expressly advocated breaching the rules ! They most certainly did not advocate talking to the cops like that either , nor would it be remotely necessary to conduct yourself in that manner since you have the evidence .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Here’s a suggestion, read in full what people actually say. Re-read again if in doubt, and don’t jump to conclusions , you don’t have a leg to stand on , it ain’t cool .
    mod note - don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

My DIY attempt at a cycling desk

507647.jpeg

(excuse the state of the shed - im still sorting stuff out)

two builders trestles and a sheet of mdf left over from the kitchen. If I find spray paint somewhere in there, I might paint it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was out for a local run and saw someone out for a cycle... so I shoulder charged them into the ditch. That's what I'm supposed to do, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Sanitize your shoulder afterwards and all's good

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Nice one Lenny, all you need is a bush on the left to fall into and you'll be ready for the season, if it ever gets going ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

yep, i've fantasised over the idea that some gobdaws may end up in front of court and the judge making them stand up and say 'please explain to me in small words a) why you think you know better than the chief medical officer, and b) why you simply couldn't hang up the bike for a few weeks?', and them being able to convince the judge.

Well if it ends up being me, I would just reply that I don't think I know better than the CMO.

I took from the letter that the furthest distance you could go from your home was 2KM. As stated ""within 2km of the home" That was followed by (I.E half-hour from the home)
    I thought that was strange, to relate a distance by time, so I googled (as proven by my phones history 28th March) the average walking pace and it is around 11-12 minutes per km, 15 mins for older people.

Therefor I concluded that I could walk 2km/30 mins, turn around and come home.

And that is why all my walks have been an hour, and my cycles too.

I have yet to decide what I am going to scream at the judge as they drag me off to the cells.

i suspect the chances of someone doing what you suggest, ending up in front of a court, are essentially nil.
    i was thinking more of the sort of chap nabbed up at the top of kippure on his bike (by one of the gardai maintaining a 24 hour garda presence there, obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

My partner got verbally abused while cycling home tonight. Couple in their 50;s out for a walk in their gloves and masks. We pay taxes and can judge others you know the type. Walked away like whipped curs with their talis between their legs when she turned back to inform them she was coming from work and asked if they knew anyone in nursing home X

Pair of **** wits out for a stroll after a few wines.

Friend of mine cycling home from fire service had a car pull up beside him and some complete and utter halfwit video him whilst lecturing about social responsibility etc.

The firefighter identified himself and reason for his journey and reported car and reg. Hope its followed up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement