Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

faceman wrote: »
    If he follows the isolation and testing rules it’s not an issue.

People really underestimate the importance of the Paddy’s week trips

And gets fined at the aorport fro making a non essential journey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Gael23 wrote: »
    And gets fined at the aorport fro making a non essential journey

It is an essential trip

Agreed,its more important than ever this year
    The something that every other small country envies for its influence

It is an essential trip

Handing a bowl of shamrock to Joe Biden is essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I assume it's not an issue for anyone traveling then if they follow the isolation and testing rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Acer33 wrote: »
    The whole Covid thing is a farce. An exaggerated pandemic being used as cover to bring everything too a slowdown and institute various new political, economic and legal changes. You could call it a sinister conspiracy, or being more generous, a cynical tactic to make perceived structural improvements. Either way our lives are being unfairly interfered with and our civil rights are being eroded. I was in no hurry to travel, but at this rate who knows what kind of fascist restrictions will in place months from now.

Retina scans ? Mandatory vaccines ? Mandatory cavity searches ?

The fifth columnists in our midst can ban me for this comment for all i care.

Layoff the Koolaid and Facebook and YouTube while you are at it.

Exaggerated Pandemic it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Gael23 wrote: »
    Handing a bowl of shamrock to Joe Biden is essential?

Its more than just that. It's a sales trip and considering ye lot are going on so much about a recession on the other forum, ye should be happy they are trying to attract more business here

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I assume it's not an issue for anyone traveling then if they follow the isolation and testing rules?

For essential reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It wasn't considered essential last year and Varadkar didn't go. I'd argue the same this year, and they can do a video call. We can go back to it next year (I fair doubt any US president will stop the trip due to the criticism off their own voters)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

MarkY91 wrote: »

Bingo

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    It wasn't considered essential last year and Varadkar didn't go. I'd argue the same this year, and they can do a video call. We can go back to it next year (I fair doubt any US president will stop the trip due to the criticism off their own voters)

We didn't go last year as the whole thing kicked off the week or before it Paddy's Day.

We know the procedures to follow now and providing he isolates then ok.

These trips gets more jobs for the country, ye be the first to moan if jobs were lost

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TobyHolmes

northern ireland have stated that they are not travelling to meet Biden during pandemic.

MM shouldnt either.

if we are stuck here he should be too.

he can meet biden on zooooom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Have to agree, MM meeting Biden is shockingly bad optics. He would want to cop on fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    northern ireland have stated that they are not travelling to meet Biden during pandemic.

MM shouldnt either.

if we are stuck here he should be too.

he can meet biden on zooooom

it's essential. The shamrocks would never get there on time with An Post at the moment. They'll end up sitting in a container in Galway with the rest of our lost chinese consignments for the next couple of months.

Back in October, Ryanair took the government to the supreme court over it's mandate against non-essential foreign travel.
    The government argued it was an advisory, not a law, and won the case (much to jubilation from Ryanair which was trolling all along).

So if there was no legal basis to advice against travelling abroad for non-essential purposes last October, has something changed now or am I missing something?

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/high-court-ryanair-loses-covid-19-guidelines-challenge

There's no need to have a legal power to give someone advise. It's done daily on this site.

What's changed is we are in a fresh lockdown with it's own set of rules.

Personally however I agree that a return to court seems likely

Who will follow this new strategy like the Iceland model? off duty nurses and doctors lol, get real here. Iceland has a small population so can probably do it, but here? I wouldn't trust any of them to run a bath.

Explain please. You don't trust our medical professionals to run a bath but yet they have been dealing with covid for ten months now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think some people are missing the point here...!

He's not the CEO of "Ireland Inc" a privately traded company!!

He's the democratically elected leader of the Irish state and a public servant, and therefore should be setting an example in solidarity with the citizens of the state, some of whom by the time he Jets off will be sat at home for 12 months! While he scoots off traveling when the country is in a devastating Pandemic..

It shows that we're not all in this together, and the leader of the country should be setting good examples...

I'm sure Biden would be happy to do a Video call and would also send a message that Ireland is doing everything safely during Covid times..

Bar the outdated info on Lanzarote, finally an article that talks sense

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/business-beware-as-public-mood-gets-twitchy-over-lockdown-1.4470291

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Will he think it's worth it when he has to quarantine on return?

Tazz T wrote: »
    Will he think it's worth it when he has to quarantine on return?

If Martin is travelling to the U.S he should be made quarantine in a U.S health facility for 14 days before he goes to meet Biden...and tested during that time, if Martin tests positive then he stays in isolation.

I'm sure a 78 year old man who's in the Vulnerable group doesn't want to shake hands or be in close contact with a man who's traveled from a country with a high infection rate..

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I think some people are missing the point here...!

He's not the CEO of "Ireland Inc" a privately traded company!!

He's the democratically elected leader of the Irish state and a public servant, and therefore should be setting an example in solidarity with the citizens of the state, some of whom by the time he Jets off will be sat at home for 12 months! While he scoots off traveling when the country is in a devastating Pandemic..

It shows that we're not all in this together, and the leader of the country should be setting good examples...

I'm sure Biden would be happy to do a Video call and would also send a message that Ireland is doing everything safely during Covid times..

Or have the Irish ambassador in the US do it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

My only sibling's wedding today in Malta and I couldn't go in the end! Not worth it with all the hassle. At least my parents are there. Hopefully it will be the first of many weddings, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭RunningFlyer

titan18 wrote: »

Didn’t Varadkar go? I’m sure his first address to the nation was actually broadcast from Washington?

I’ll be astonished if MM goes. I understand the importance of these meetings in normal times but when he has openly and publicly shamed travel in the current environment it would be political suicide to go on the ‘jolly ‘- not that I think he really cares with the limited time left he has as Taoiseach.

Although, if he does - assuming he takes a commercial flight (of which there’s very limited options!) - he might finally realise how much damage he and the media have done to the aviation sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My only sibling's wedding today in Malta and I couldn't go in the end! Not worth it with all the hassle. At least my parents are there. Hopefully it will be the first of many weddings, fingers crossed.
    You not expecting it to last then? :)

gmisk wrote: »
    You not expecting it to last then? :)

That's the joke! No hopefully can get over later in the year, still haven't met my only nephew either ffs.

Why not? Attending a wedding is essential.

Why not? Attending a wedding is essential.

Tests... my job could possibly make a big deal out of it, the media seem to be vilifying people going anywhere, I saw pictures of Garda interrogating cars driving up to the airport.
    I don't think attending a wedding abroad is essential anyway.

I don't think attending a wedding abroad is essential anyway.

It is if it's your own wedding! ...:pac:....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Mr.S wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit pointless then to have a checkout if no proof is required?

IE, everyone going on 'holidays' will just say they are moving country, going to a funeral etc. If you're already breaking restrictions, you'll probably not care about lying to get away with it.

The last couple of days I've seen then stop all traffic into the terminal roads and carparks, including busses. If they do it 24/7, I have no idea. I would imagine it's during flight times while we are in Level 5, and especially how vocal they have been about airport checkpoints.

Checkpoints. Stopping every car, taxi etc.

Under the current system no proof of reason for travel is required (innocent until etc), you give your reason etc and it's up to the gardai (or whoever) to have a reasonable doubt and (even harder) then to prove this if there's to be prosecutions.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »

All over newstalk earlier - no-one is actually checking on these travelers (legitimate or otherwise), a typical government soundbite, arguments over who should be doing so etc. The gardai and contact tracers are as much in the dark as we are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement