Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

Can anyone in the know tell me why someone would do a RocDoc PCR test rather than Randox, when it is €30 more expensive?

bladespin wrote: »
    Under the current system no proof of reason for travel is required (innocent until etc), you give your reason etc and it's up to the gardai (or whoever) to have a reasonable doubt and (even harder) then to prove this if there's to be prosecutions.

All over newstalk earlier - no-one is actually checking on these travelers (legitimate or otherwise), a typical government soundbite, arguments over who should be doing so etc. The gardai and contact tracers are as much in the dark as we are.

It’s about discouragement rather than a hard control. With this, plus costs of testing, plus self isolation, plus the risk of new countries being added to the mandatory quarantine list with no notice, I think it’s intended that travel becomes a high risk and costly activity for the individual

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Can confirm that there was no checkpoints in sight at Dublin airport this morning at 4am when I was heading there.

They would want to have a 24/7 checkpoint to maximize profits on their money racket.

Edit: just to add... I'm not ridiculing coronavirus restrictions, I'm just ridiculing our governments approach to travel. To me, the icelandic method should be implemented and will surely keep people happy regardless of what end of the spectrum their restrictions opinions are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

It’s about discouragement rather than a hard control. With this, plus costs of testing, plus self isolation, plus the risk of new countries being added to the mandatory quarantine list with no notice, I think it’s intended that travel becomes a high risk and costly activity for the individual

Recommendations and fake laws aren't that expensive really, at least for those who disregards them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Can anyone in the know tell me why someone would do a RocDoc PCR test rather than Randox, when it is €30 more expensive?

I could be wrong but does RocDoc turn their results around quicker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I feel the same way about the right to travel the way some of our american fellow humans feel about the right to bear arms....I'm looking forward to travelling again later in this year or 2022, 2023 but if taoiseach Martin goes stateside March 17, 2021 then I'll do my best to see family and friends in summer 2021... Got my second jab yesterday so hopefully a recent antigen/pcr test will suffice with max isolation time of 3-5days as I cant WFH...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I think people will be able to travel this summer, but it's going to very different still and similar to last Summer (or even more strict)

Most of Spain will still have a curfew in place, even if they reduce the restriction level to the very lowest. Example: In Majorca if they go down to Level 1 this summer, they will still have a 12am-6am curfew in place according the regional government's covid level graph.

I think some people will still travel, but it won't be anywhere close to what it was in the past. The vaccine rollout in Europe is going slow which does not help the situation. Many of the restrictions in Spain, like mandatory mask wearing outside will remain in place well past the summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

smurfjed wrote: »
    Maybe it’s time for you to seriously reconsider your Dubai trip. UK just banned direct flights.

I am still going as normal, at this moment in time anyway. flight is at 6am Tuesday morning and we are hoping to stay out there for 2/3 months as long as they don't go into lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Might be the wrong forum but here goes...

My mother lives in a neighbouring county, on her own, am I allowed to travel the 80Km or so to visit her or is it deemed unnecessary ?

Will the gardai stop and fine me?

You can of course go visit your mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 bluepurple

Canada has come in strong with the new arrival restrictions. I am in a FB group for people moving here on visas, they are not one bit happy.

It’s almost spring break time for their university students so I’m not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Slinky94

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Can confirm that there was no checkpoints in sight at Dublin airport this morning at 4am when I was heading there.

They would want to have a 24/7 checkpoint to maximize profits on their money racket.

Edit: just to add... I'm not ridiculing coronavirus restrictions, I'm just ridiculing our governments approach to travel. To me, the icelandic method should be implemented and will surely keep people happy regardless of what end of the spectrum their restrictions opinions are on.

I went there this afternoon arriving at 11.30am dropping a friend up there who was here for two weeks. They had a negative PCR test arriving here, another negative test 6 days into being here, and another one on Wednesday and got the results Wednesday evening for the flight back home which was also negative. When we left this morning met no checkpoint all the way until 2 Garda cars at the entrance to Terminal 2 and the guards there were just talking to some guy in a lorry who was pulled in where the buses drive in. A good shot of cars were in the already dropping off people and before I left I did see one standing out on the road but none at the other side so if you were arriving here there was no guards stopping people asking them where they had come from. I guess maybe they don't have the authority/legislation to do that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Might be the wrong forum but here goes...

My mother lives in a neighbouring county, on her own, am I allowed to travel the 80Km or so to visit her or is it deemed unnecessary ?

Will the gardai stop and fine me?

Yes she lives alone so you can

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

hoping to stay out there for 2/3 months as long as they don't go into lockdown.
    have a great time, they are vaccinating like crazy, so hopefully you will start to see her 4000 cases per day drop down. (dubai figures)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

smurfjed wrote: »
    have a great time, they are vaccinating like crazy, so hopefully you will start to see her 4000 cases per day drop down. (dubai figures)

Yeah over 3 million done.

Rumours abound that the schools are going online in Dubai which is a massive deal as they have been full on with school since September. It's a massive statement of having f**ked up over the past few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Larger fines coming in for anyone going on holiday.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-people-caught-trying-to-holiday-abroad-will-face-500-fines-from-monday-1.4471421

Not sure how this is going to be enforced.

fisgon wrote: »
    Larger fines coming in for anyone going on holiday.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-people-caught-trying-to-holiday-abroad-will-face-500-fines-from-monday-1.4471421

Not sure how this is going to be enforced.

Hard to justify a 5 fold increase. Going from Sandyford to Dublin airport to leave the country is 500 but going from Cork to Dublin to attend a house party is 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Given all the anti-travel propaganda this week, it's interesting to note that HSPC data released yesterday shows zero outbreaks associated with travel since the beginning of the year. To put that in context, there was somehow two outbreaks associated with pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

Is anyone able to answer my question for me?

Not tying to get into a debate about travel during restrictions, etc, just want to see if refunds should become mandatory now, as it is no longer just advice, not to travel from the gov?

With the current travel restrictions, the GOV is saying we will get a €1000 fine for a couple flying abroad on a holiday.

We booked a trip to New York in October 2019, for travel in March 2020. Postponed few times, now due to travel 01 March 2021.

As the gov is now saying we cant go, should refunds be mandatory now for "cancelled" holidays?

Booked with Aer Lingus, no refund option as of today, flights are scheduled to leave.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Right now you can't go to New York anyway (unless you are US citizens or fall under one of the exempted categories). The flights will still run though as there are people who can travel to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

JojoLoca wrote: »
    Is anyone able to answer my question for me?
    Not tying to get into a debate about travel during restrictions, etc, just want to see if refunds should become mandatory now, as it is no longer just advice, not to travel from the gov?With the current travel restrictions, the GOV is saying we will get a €1000 fine for a couple flying abroad on a holiday.We booked a trip to New York in October 2019, for travel in March 2020. Postponed few times, now due to travel 01 March 2021.As the gov is now saying we cant go, should refunds be mandatory now for "cancelled" holidays?
    Booked with Aer Lingus, no refund option as of today, flights are scheduled to leave.Thanks

Varadkar was asked that question on "The Tonight show" during the week, he didn't give a full answer, he kicked that question down the line a bit.. basically all that can happen to you now is that the Garda can fine you €100... and when the new legislation comes in then €500 if they consider your travel non-essential..
    But for now you can't be legally prevented from leaving the country.

JojoLoca wrote: »

With the current travel restrictions, the GOV is saying we will get a €1000 fine for a couple flying abroad on a holiday.
    As the gov is now saying we cant go, should refunds be mandatory now for "cancelled" holidays?

Except the government has carefully not said that. The fine is not for getting on a plane, its for travelling to the airport. The argument being "YOU dont actually NEED to go to the airport" which I guess is technically true when its an optional holiday. Sneaky and unfair imho however theres a couner argument that if the plane trip is allowed, then getting to the plane is also allowed.

That all said, the actual worry you have is being able to board the plane right? and with that in mind, the current stance is you wont be stopped but will be advised to turn around and if you refuse, will be fined. Thats actually nothing new in level 5. thats always been the approach. 100 euro hurts but most will pay it rather than lose a holiday. 500 may well make people reconsider.

Where will it all be in March? Who knows. Hopefully we wont be in level 5 anymore and this question wont matter anymore

Except the government has carefully not said that. The fine is not for getting on a plane, its for travelling to the airport. The argument being "YOU dont actually NEED to go to the airport"

Just to note also that in addition to the Gardai standing at the roads up to the Terminal, they are also standing around by the gates where you scan your boarding pass into the security check...

Wow, travel to Germany banned, pretty much completly:

Effective January 30, 2021, a travel ban has been imposed from Ireland to Germany. Transport companies, e.g. air carriers, may not transport any person from Ireland to Germany. There are only a few, strictly defined exceptions to this travel ban, namely for:
    - Persons who are resident in Germany with a current right to reside in the country
    - Persons on connecting flights, who do not leave the transit zone of an international airport
    - Few other special cases
    All those who qualify for the above-mentioned exceptions are equally required to complete an online registration form, must present a negative COVD-19 test result not older than 48 hours prior to entry and have to follow the quarantine regulations of the Federal State they are travelling to.
    The transport ban may lead to changes in the flight schedule and reductions in flight connections to and from Germany. Therefore, if you have planned a flight or other travel connection to Germany, please contact your carrier immediately.
    Please note that the final decision on entry is made by the German Federal Police upon entry.
    For further information, please click here: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Wow, travel to Germany banned, pretty much completly:
    Effective January 30, 2021, a travel ban has been imposed from Ireland to Germany. Transport companies, e.g. air carriers, may not transport any person from Ireland to Germany. There are only a few, strictly defined exceptions to this travel ban, namely for:
    - Persons who are resident in Germany with a current right to reside in the country
    - Persons on connecting flights, who do not leave the transit zone of an international airport
    - Few other special cases
    All those who qualify for the above-mentioned exceptions are equally required to complete an online registration form, must present a negative COVD-19 test result not older than 48 hours prior to entry and have to follow the quarantine regulations of the Federal State they are travelling to.
    The transport ban may lead to changes in the flight schedule and reductions in flight connections to and from Germany. Therefore, if you have planned a flight or other travel connection to Germany, please contact your carrier immediately.
    Please note that the final decision on entry is made by the German Federal Police upon entry.
    For further information, please click here: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268

I'm definitely against unnecessary travel but what legal basis do they have for this given it's the EU?

As far as I know (AFAIK) every EU passport holder has a current right to reside in the country.

Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Has anybody encountered checkpoint's on the Dublin to Cork motorway ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Going away it March for few months. If they stop me, I will say I am travelling for medical reasons (need to get teeth implants as got extractions done just this week and also need a few fillings), costing me 5 time more here than the place I am going to. I dont see how they can argue its not a valid reason.

I will get a PCR test from here and then also the place I am going to do a free on at the airport on arrival also. Will also be getting one on my way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

BruteStock wrote: »
    Has anybody encountered checkpoint's on the Dublin to Cork motorway ??

At the Glanmire exit, always there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm definitely against unnecessary travel but what legal basis do they have for this given it's the EU?

As far as I know (AFAIK) every EU passport holder has a current right to reside in the country.

Open to correction.

They’ve stopped travel from Portugal and the U.K. too. It’s due to the new strain. EU countries are allowed to do that if the measur if justified. Germany is riddled at the moment and they border 9 countries so they’re naturally concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement