Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

robinph wrote: »
    I'd dispute the claim about a spectator sport with a few thousand nationally watching from a muddy hillside is bringing enjoyment to more people. How many people are actually physically going to watch gaa matches every week of the year, or even once a month on average across the country?

Get road racing back and a few 10s of thousands running in a regional 10km or half marathon every other month, 13,000 people parkrunning every week plus however many juniors there are on a Sunday, then weekly club races or local races around the country each week each with 100-200 or so taking part and I think there would easily be more people taking part in athletics than being stood around watching others play a sport.

There is also of course the health benefits for the country are far better served by getting people out running than letting them stand around shouting at other people running after various shaped balls.

Dispute away...a few thousand nationally watching from a muddy hillside makes your views on the GAA very clear. If you are trying to argue that the numbers parkrunning or racing comes within an arses roar of those taking part in GAA or spectating then you're seriously out of touch with reality

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So much uproar? Its forgotten about already. Dublin suspended their own manager to calm to curtain twitchers, there was no suspension from outside the county.

We all love running but we have to accept it is a sport that doesn't put bums on seats or get the general population excited. I'd be more interested in how some other minority sports have got the go ahead when athletics hasn't

I would think that running is by far the most likely sport that any member of the general public participates in. The problem for athletics though is the vast majority of people don't consider themselves as taking part in the sport when the go for a run, probably not even when they go for a parkrun or run in the majority of other events they may pay for, up to and including the marathon.

Bet you could ask all the people who run Dublin marathon, even the day afterwards, what sports they do and the majority would still forgot to include running. But going for one round of golf a year or a kick about in the park with jumpers for goalposts and they would say they occasionally play golf and football.

I would think that running is by far the most likely sport that any member of the general public participates in. The problem for athletics though is the vast majority of people don't consider themselves as taking part in the sport when the go for a run, probably not even when they go for a parkrun or run in the majority of other events they may pay for, up to and including the marathon.

Bet you could ask all the people who run Dublin marathon, even the day afterwards, what sports they do and the majority would still forgot to include running. But going for one round of golf a year or a kick about in the park with jumpers for goalposts and they would say they occasionally play golf and football.

So running is bigger than the GAA? :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So running is bigger than the GAA? :pac::pac::pac:

Try reading what I posted again.

Try reading what I posted again.

"Running is by far the most likely sport that any member of the general public participates in"

That's very clear to me. It'll be a shock to the GAA to see this but i think they'll get over it.

• Advertisement

"Running is by far the most likely sport that any member of the general public participates in"

That's very clear to me. It'll be a shock to the GAA to see this but i think they'll get over it.

What percentage of the population go out for a run at least once or twice a week?

Would that be more or less than the number of people playing GAA every week? Remember that anyone who is playing GAA is also a runner, or they aren't training properly.

Remember that anyone who is playing GAA is also a runner, or they aren't training properly.

Is that really your argument...sure the walking community must be in uproar seeing as everybody walks in most sports. I'm out if that's the best you can do...GAA players are actually runners but they just don't know it :eek:

Is that really your argument...sure the walking community must be in uproar seeing as everybody walks in most sports. I'm out if that's the best you can do...GAA players are actually runners but they just don't know it :eek:

Yes, that's the point.

Athletics is by far the biggest sport by participation but most people don't consider themselves as having anything to do with the sport which makes it difficult for the sports governing bodies to represent themselves against other sports which have lower participation but have the ability to sell tickets for people to watch so have loads of money to lobby on their behalf. That's where the discussion started from about governing bodies not doing as well on behalf for some sports.

Athletics can't sell tickets in the same way for people to watch, but far more people "play" than any other activity... Well other than walking as you say.

Yes, that's the point.

Athletics is by far the biggest sport by participation but most people don't consider themselves as having anything to do with the sport which makes it difficult for the sports governing bodies to represent themselves against other sports which have lower participation but have the ability to sell tickets for people to watch so have loads of money to lobby on their behalf. That's where the discussion started from about governing bodies not doing as well on behalf for some sports.

Athletics can't sell tickets in the same way for people to watch, but far more people "play" than any other activity... Well other than walking as you say.

The government are trying to allow events which will provide enjoyment to those who enjoy watching sport...a huge group. Runners have been allowed run while many other sports have not even been allowed train. We have done better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The government are trying to allow events which will provide enjoyment to those who enjoy watching sport...a huge group. Runners have been allowed run while many other sports have not even been allowed train. We have done better than most.

Hang on. I'm not buying that. If it was simply down to providing enjoyment to those watching from home, why were they not classified as elite from January to April? The public could have done with a lift during that miserable stretch after all...

"Allowed run" by the way? As in, we have been fortunate enough to be allowed to leave our homes and run around our locality? Lucky us!

Much more to athletics than road runners by the way. Most of us have had our training totally disrupted (sprinters, jumpers, throwers, middle distance runners).

Mind you, Robin, that's a mental stretch to classify GAA players as runners. I can't support your argument there.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hang on. I'm not buying that. If it was simply down to providing enjoyment to those watching from home, why were they not classified as elite from January to April? The public could have done with a lift during that miserable stretch after all...

January to April is the league, nobody really cares about it. The championship is the thing. It's what gets the blood flowing. It is us, our national sport, the heartbeat of most towns and villages, the Sunday Game, Joe Brolly...Anybody who thinks athletics is even on the same page as the GAA is deluded

Much more to athletics than road runners by the way. Most of us have had our training totally disrupted (sprinters, jumpers, throwers, middle distance runners).

This I get but it is something practically all other sports have had to suffer. It hasn't been a good time for anyone.

I'll explain verrrryyyy slowwwwllllyyy....January to April is the league, nobody really cares about it. The championship is the thing. It's what gets the blood flowing. It is us, our national sport, the heartbeat of most towns and villages, the Sunday Game, Joe Brolly...Anybody who thinks athletics is even on the same page as the GAA is deluded

All irrelevant. The government have set down rules for sport during this Covid sh1tshow. All sports should have to follow it the same. After all the virus "doesn't care" that Irish people are more interested in GAA. It just highlights further that a lot of this is no longer about the virus.

They should have just classified senior intercounty as elite sport the whole time. At least then it would be clear. Instead they are picking and choosing when they are considered elite. They were elite up until December. Not elite in January. Now they are elite again. Total b0ll0cks.

Zero covid as a policy is one extreme which NPHET would possibly like to follow. No restrictions is the opposite end of the scale. The government, rightly or wrongly, decided that neither was appropriate. They decided to allow certain sports for their own reasons. GAA was always going to be near the top of the list...mass participation events like running races were always going to be bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

January to April is the league, nobody really cares about it. The championship is the thing. It's what gets the blood flowing. It is us, our national sport, the heartbeat of most towns and villages, the Sunday Game, Joe Brolly...Anybody who thinks athletics is even on the same page as the GAA is deluded

We have no national sport.

That’s just propaganda.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Zebra3 wrote: »
    We have no national sport.

That’s just propaganda.

Yeah it's rubbish. I know two people. Two. Who actually give a crap about GAA both Dublin season ticket holders...of all the people I know, two of them are actually genuinely interested in it. People (myself included) are more invested in the english football teams they support.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ceepo wrote: »
    LOI is semi pro and are employed/contracted to a particular club and get paid. As such there's an industry around it, similar to horse racing.
    That not the case with gaa.

I'm not disagree with you btw, just pointing out how inconsistent the whole thing is.
    2 people playing golf, members of a inter-county panal training in a indoor gym. Bubble or not, its BS.

Div 1 is not semi pro.

All very inconsistent though.

Interesting to see if the swimming staff team might have to quarantine if they go to the comp in eastern Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Div 1 is not semi pro.

All very inconsistent though.

Interesting to see if the swimming staff team might have to quarantine if they go to the comp in eastern Europe

Not 100% about swimming, but if its anything like other "eilte" athletes, the athletes themselves should be exempt for quarantine, but I suppose that would depend on the country that they are travelling to.
    Dont know if the entourage are subject to the same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Yeah it's rubbish. I know two people. Two. Who actually give a crap about GAA both Dublin season ticket holders...of all the people I know, two of them are actually genuinely interested in it. People (myself included) are more invested in the english football teams they support.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2021/0126/1192163-gaelic-games-remains-irelands-most-popular-sport/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I don't think you and your friends are the GAA's target market in fairness.
    Inner city football jersey wearer in I don't like GAA shocker. :pac:

The GAA does far more for this country than sink estate Dubs will ever realise.

• Advertisement

There's no question Gaelic football is the most popular sport in the country. This can't be argued. Purely anecdotal but I know probably over 100 people personally who are mad into it.

But this isn't about what sport is popular and what is less so. This is supposed to be about a virus. Therefore all outdoor sporting competitions that have been deemed non-elite should be treated the same, and should follow the same roadmap back.

Saying that this is a move to lift the spirits of the nation is total BS. The government do not give a f**k about any of us. That is fairly clear throughout this pandemic. If they cared about us then perhaps they would not have halted housing construction and caused a significant inflation in the price of houses, eroding the savings that those working from home have made, and making houses even more unaffordable for those who have not been able to work at all during this.

Don't for a second think the government cares about any of us. Don't be so foolish. And don't think fast tracking senior intercounty GAA's return is some mental health investment they are making on behalf of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

There's no question Gaelic football is the most popular sport in the country. This can't be argued. Purely anecdotal but I know probably over 100 people personally who are mad into it.

But this isn't about what sport is popular and what is less so. This is supposed to be about a virus. Therefore all outdoor sporting competitions that have been deemed non-elite should be treated the same, and should follow the same roadmap back.

Saying that this is a move to lift the spirits of the nation is total BS. The government do not give a f**k about any of us. That is fairly clear throughout this pandemic. If they cared about us then perhaps they would not have halted housing construction and caused a significant inflation in the price of houses, eroding the savings that those working from home have made, and making houses even more unaffordable for those who have not been able to work at all during this.

Don't for a second think the government cares about any of us. Don't be so foolish. And don't think fast tracking senior intercounty GAA's return is some mental health investment they are making on behalf of the public.

Both athletics and GAA are outdoor sports so if opened together with leaving of indoor facilities closed they both pose no risk to numbers at all.

The NPHET team are devoid of personality or social lives so they don't make considerations for this, it's up to Govt ministers and sports organizations to lobby for opening up with outdoor only use of facilities.
    Govt ministers are asleep at the wheel so what we need is a grouping of FAI/GAA/Sport Ireland/AAI etc. to push this.

Attendance at events seems to be non runner at this stage.

Both athletics and GAA are outdoor sports so if opened together with leaving of indoor facilities closed they both pose no risk to numbers at all.

The NPHET team are devoid of personality or social lives so they don't make considerations for this, it's up to Govt ministers and sports organizations to lobby for opening up with outdoor only use of facilities.
    Govt ministers are asleep at the wheel so what we need is a grouping of FAI/GAA/Sport Ireland/AAI etc. to push this.

https://assets.gov.ie/77248/22897874-f11b-42d7-a708-4115063b009c.pdf

Interesting to see that the Big 3 sports are the only ones with direct representation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

personal attacks of nphet members just makes your entire post seem silly and childish even though your point is valid. As Chivito said a few posts back nphet only care about public health, the government must balance their advice with whats good for the nation as a whole. You may disagree very strongly with the way things are done and you may be right but leave out the nonsense as it weakens yiur argument.
    The GAA was not deemed elite in the most recent restrictions because it suited the GAA, if it had not suited the GAA it would have been changed in whatever time frame and manner was necessary.

Elite is the issue here with most.
    So the elite level of each county is back playing inter county matches, only the senior guys.

So would the best way around this, only top 10 of 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m etc in the country compete at the track meets in Ireland right now?

I can see no justification for me to be allowed to run at a track meet.

Hopefully come June all levels be allowed to compete on the track.

Now I know some will say Leitirm hurlers can't be consider elite. so maybe the top 2 from the county instead of top 10 per sport

Elite is the issue here with most.
    So the elite level of each county is back playing inter county matches, only the senior guys.

So would the best way around this, only top 10 of 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m etc in the country compete at the track meets in Ireland right now?

I can see no justification for me to be allowed to run at a track meet.

Hopefully come June all levels be allowed to compete on the track.

Now I know some will say Leitirm hurlers can't be consider elite. so maybe the top 2 from the county instead of top 10 per sport

Haha, very good, so the best 20 or so hurlers in Leitrim can compete but only the best 10 400m runners in all of Ireland should compete.

Sounds fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Haha, very good, so the best 20 or so hurlers in Leitrim can compete but only the best 10 400m runners in all of Ireland should compete.

Sounds fair...

As a Tipperary man I feel thats very unfair really.
    No disrespect to Leitrim, but I feel we would have far more than 20 hurlers that would be better than the Leitrim team. :)

I don't think you and your friends are the GAA's target market in fairness.
    Inner city football jersey wearer in I don't like GAA shocker. :pac:

The GAA does far more for this country than sink estate Dubs will ever realise.

What?

• Advertisement

Sounds fair...

Or Athletics Ireland set the standard for each event. It cant be open to all, as no sport is right now

Advertisement