Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

epopnomis wrote: »
    They're called Bells Crossgar but unfortunately they're closed since Tuesday, the owner soundly drove the car down to me. Good customer service. He didn't know when he'd be opening back up.

Well with lockdown just announced, it'll be at least 2 weeks before you get a chance to drive it further than 2 km. Hard to know when (or if) you can make VRT inspection appointment now,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

deezell wrote: »
    Well with lockdown just announced, it'll be at least 2 weeks before you get a chance to drive it further than 2 km. Hard to know when (or if) you can make VRT inspection appointment now,

A 2km radius from your house can easily involve a lot more than 2km of driving, however. Might not make it to VRT centre but can certainly drive the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Everyone must stay at home unless they are doing essential work, buying food, visiting a doctor, leaving for farming purposes, caring for someone, or exercising within 2km of their homes

The 2km is for exercising?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭epopnomis

maybe there'll be an amnesty on the VRT. :)

should I apply for inspection straight. I know I have 7 days to do it so should I leave till day 7. any advantage to doing this

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 2km is for exercising?

Exactly, that’s the only distance based limitation. Not surprising really as many people would have travel more than 2km to a supermarket or for a medical appointment. That said, i’m Sure i’d Get short shrift if I drove 100km to get groceries (and enjoy the drive, obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

should I apply for inspection straight. I know I have 7 days to do it so should I leave till day 7. any advantage to doing this

apply anyway, then you have the high ground covered in that you did apply within the 7 day limit. I doubt you'll get an appointment for a little while though

If you haven't a VRT appointment booked, car could be seized after 7 days here while driven by a resident. Revenue seize them all the time, border cowboys driving NI cars for months. Any delay over the 30 day appointment limit will incur a daily VRT penalty of 0.1% per day, €3.40 a day to you, but refundable if it's their fault.

maybe there'll be an amnesty on the VRT. :)

HaHa, you wish. The only two certain outcomes of Covid-19 are Death and Taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

deezell wrote: »
    HaHa, you wish. The only two certain outcomes of Covid-19 are Death and Taxes.

i think I'll choose Taxes if that's Ok with you guys

• Advertisement

wheres the best place to pick up new plates for the car? When I say best I mean cheapest.. ;) I'm in cork area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

insurance company will only insure me on British plates for 28 days. if vrt appointments are cancelled then how will I stay insured after 28 days.. bit of a mess.

insurance company will only insure me on British plates for 28 days. if vrt appointments are cancelled then how will I stay insured after 28 days.. bit of a mess.

Ring them up and the will problem extend it seen that its not your fault you can't VRT it.
    I think the only 28 day thing, is just to encouraged people to get it done as the have to inform revenue after 28 days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mgn wrote: »

I heard in the news an hour ago that they were to resume from Monday as they were an essential service. Taking only card, close your vents etc

L-M wrote: »
    I heard in the news an hour ago that they were to resume from Monday as they were an essential service. Taking only card, close your vents etc

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0328/1127034-nct-test/

Latest, looks like their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wouldn't be the first time.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time.

Might have something to do with the fact that Shane Ross is still Minister for Transport, though no longer a TD, and it was he who reversed the NCT decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Everyone locked at home. Only leave for food - but ya you.must test your car. How could anyone have thought that was sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mickdw wrote: »
    Everyone locked at home. Only leave for food - but ya you.must test your car. How could anyone have thought that was sensible.

I suppose it’s probably the ensuing backlog on top of the already huge backlog from the half testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be fair this crisis has rattled the world over and Ireland is dealing with it a lot better so far than some bigger nations such as GB and USA. There really isn't any script and everyone is trying to do as best they can. There are a lot of things that don't make sense at this time. I'd say a freshly expired NCT or missed VRT appraisal won't be on many people's priority list at the moment included the authorities.

To be fair to the NCT crowd the have no problem opening up centers 7 days a week and late nights when the pressure is on, unlike other services in this country.

bazz26 wrote: »
    To be fair this crisis has rattled the world over and Ireland is dealing with it a lot better so far than some bigger nations such as GB and USA.....

Yea, Johnson looks like sh¡t on the news there, and Trump wants to invade New York, send in his redneck republican militias, to ' drain the swamp' I presume? That would end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

wheres the best place to pick up new plates for the car? When I say best I mean cheapest.. ;) I'm in cork area.

I got mine here, nice folks (in Ballincollig)
    http://www.automania.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭wassie

mgn wrote: »
    To be fair to the NCT crowd the have no problem opening up centers 7 days a week and late nights when the pressure is on, unlike other services in this country.

To be fair, so they should given the 10 year contract Applus has with the taxpayers of this nation is estimated to be worth around €650 million.....

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

I was supposed to register my car for VRT this Saturday but I got a text yesterday saying the VRT service is suspended until further notice.

Aviva said they will only insure my car on english reg for 1 month. This month will be up sunday week.

Does this mean I can't drive my car as I won't be able to get insured as I can't register my car with an Irish reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭wassie

No point asking a forum as you cant rely on any advice here - only your insurer can give you the certainty you seek. Given the current situation they may be willing to extend that period but you need to engage with them in the first instance.

My advice is making a phone call and then if they are agreeable to such, ask for it in writing. If they cant/wont (given their customer support is probably reduced and under increased demand), I would follow up with an email confirming the conversation:
    - whom you spoke with
    - time of call
    - details of the advice.

But then again, I'm a bit OTT when it comes to dealing with insurers.

I was supposed to register my car for VRT this Saturday but I got a text yesterday saying the VRT service is suspended until further notice.

Aviva said they will only insure my car on english reg for 1 month. This month will be up sunday week.

Does this mean I can't drive my car as I won't be able to get insured as I can't register my car with an Irish reg?

Let me know how you get on as I'm in a similar boat...except I cant even apply for a VRT inspection.

After 30 days they are required to notify Revenue. As a consequence, the insurer will generally deny cover to avoid having to make a significant number of notifications. I assume your policy is an annual one. In the circumstances, I don’t think failure to register in a valid reason for the insurer to cancel the policy. It is not your fault that you cannot effect the re-registration.

Call the insurer which should have a practice established as part of dealing with the emergency. Be prepared to press the matter and insist on speaking with supervisors/managers if necessary. I do not think that the CBI nor CCPC would see this as an acceptable practice. Bear in mind that contact centres can be overwhelmed at this time, the person you speak with may have to deal with a higher volume of calls and may be inundated with new rules/guidelines which are being introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭lalababa

Debub wrote: »
    I got mine here, nice folks (in Ballincollig)
    http://www.automania.ie/

Munster radiator repair and numberplates, Gillabbey St. ...just up from St. Finbarrs church.

Advertisement