Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Necro wrote: »
    Here's the thing for me, and I know most people sadly don't give a damn about it.

I want legislators that were DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED by the people of Ireland in power. That gives them a mandate, doesn't matter whether I voted that way or not.

How can we trust anything Sinn Fein do when they are governed by people not elected by non-Sinn Fein members.

For example, what if the Gardai want to bug a prominent Sinn Fein member's phone with good cause?

Can we trust that a SF Minister for Justice would sign off on this?

If the answer is no, then we should simply not vote for them.

What if a member of the Garda has information on Garda malpractice? Can we trust FG or the Garda will support him?
    You answered your own question. I know Labour has a number of unelected people helping them form policy. I know the British Tory party does too. It stands to reason that other parties would too. People, IRA affiliated, (former members etc.) would have links to Sinn Fein. This would not be news to me nor any other person IMO.
    Do you think a FG appointed Judge would be more or less willing to sanction bugging a FG TD and the FG government would be more or less likely to agree than any other party be it FF or SF?
    You have to put that magnifying glass on all parties including the ones paying a TD with two jobs, one in Europe and turning a blind eye. A state contractor with two questionably awarded contracts being awarded a third and the communications minister going for lunch with the main bidder at the time. Then we've Noonan's 'inappropriate behaviour' regarding Project Eagle, which FG would not openly investigate. Then we've small fry like Farrell and Bailey, a pair of chancers. And that's not even touching FF, by far the most corrupt party ever to grace the Dail.
    So forgive me if I'm not too worried about SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hit job on SF continues. They will still return a majority if it goes to reelection.

Articles like this are not helpful.
    I find articles like this very helpful.
    They confirm what I have always believed to be the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,901 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Judging from the twitter reaction, this is the most spectacular shot in the foot yet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bowie wrote: »
    What if a member of the Garda has information on Garda malpractice? Can we trust FG or the Garda will support him?
    You answered your own question. I know Labour has a number of unelected people helping them form policy. I know the British Tory party does too. It stands to reason that other parties would too. People, IRA affiliated, (former members etc.) would have links to Sinn Fein. This would not be news to me nor any other person IMO.
    Do you think a FG appointed Judge would be more or less willing to sanction bugging a FG TD and the FG government would be more or less likely to agree than any other party be it FF or SF?
    You have to put that magnifying glass on all parties including the ones paying a TD with two jobs, one in Europe and turning a blind eye. A state contractor with two questionably awarded contracts being awarded a third and the communications minister going for lunch with the main bidder at the time. Then we've Noonan's 'inappropriate behaviour' regarding Project Eagle, which FG would not openly investigate. Then we've small fry like Farrell and Bailey, a pair of chancers. And that's not even touching FF, by far the most corrupt party ever to grace the Dail.
    So forgive me if I'm not too worried about SF.

I wouldn't often post a Westlife song but I feel the level of whataboutery in this post deserves it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

rafatoni wrote: »
    Another SF/IRA story, the powers that be must be really shi**ng themselves. Another election would be spicy meat.

It is the powers that are behind the powers that would be that people are concerned about with good cause. It is an unease that extends across the party political spectrum about SF. You can try and make a hahaha in-joke about it if you want. But that is the reality of the situation.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

dabestman1 wrote: »
    So a Garda Commissioner gives a political view that badmouths 1 party without a shred of evidence, is this the first time a garda commissioner has given a view that interferes with democratic process. I hope he is as quick to say what he knows on the Dublin/Monaghan bombing.
    As an MI5 agent, I am not surprised that he hates SF and increases the view that he should not been appointed to his current role. Thats what you get when employ a British waster. He makes Nora O'Sullivan look credible.
    At least we know what the soundbite will be for a while. Be great if has to resign:)

Pot calling kettle:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

joe40 wrote: »
    As it stands I can't see a situation of Sinn Fein ever been in power unless part of a coalition so will never have full control.

Never say never and we’ve just witnessed how quickly the political landscape can change when the time is right.

People want change and there’s a whole generation of voters now who knew nothing of the troubles and don’t care either. They’re a lot more worried about houses.

SF are now on equal terms with FG and FF in terms of size and FFG are going to have to wrap their heads around that.

All of this anti SF campaigning will (imo) just drive more votes in SF’s direction so another election could certainly get interesting.

It is the powers that are behind the powers that would be that people are concerned about with good cause. It is an unease that extends across the party political spectrum about SF. You can try and make a hahaha in-joke about it if you want. But that is the reality of the situation.

You are hilarious.

You are worried by this but you have been flat out all week posting much worse implications and connections than the PSNI are. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

have a snickers and a cup of tea squire, you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

JamesM wrote: »
    I find articles like this very helpful.
    They confirm what I have always believed to be the truth.

Not SF FG or FF supporter by any stretch.

I am saying it is not helpful as the harder SF are targeted by FFFG social media accounts and mainstream media, no matter how bad the story is the more people will flock to SF. Both parties spent over 50% of their time pre election targeting SF rather than talking about policy and solutions.

The fact that they have not realized this yet beggers belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Not SF FG or FF supporter by any stretch.

I am saying it is not helpful as the harder SF are targeted by FFFG social media accounts and mainstream media, no matter how bad the story is the more people will flock to SF. Both parties spent over 50% of their time pre election targeting SF rather than talking about policy and solutions.

The fact that they have not realized this yet beggers belief.
    They are in no position to defend their own position so their only option is to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Bowie wrote: »
    He was asked the other day did he agree with the report published 5 years ago and it's headlines today.
    The people will decide if they care less or not.

Let’s face check that one:
    The PSNI has recently reiterated its view set out in the 2015 report; that the Provisional Army Council still oversaw the IRA and Sinn Féin. It said its analysis had not changed in the five-year period since the report was drawn up.
    Sinn Féin said the analysis was “nonsense” and they believed it would “not be lost on people” that it was being repeated at the present time.
    When this was put to Mr Harris later on Friday morning he said the Garda view on the specific issue of the Provisional Army Council continuing to oversee the IRA and Sinn Féin did “not differ” from the PSNI assessment.
    “On national security matters and matters around the security of the State, it’s my obligation to report those into the Government, as you would expect me to do in the first place,” he said.

So the facts are the PSNI have recently said that they still believe that the Provisional IRA Army Council oversee Sinn Fein, the head of An Garda said today that he is in agreement.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

So the facts are the PSNI have recently said that they still believe that the Provisional IRA Army Council oversee Sinn Fein, the head of An Garda said today that he is in agreement.

Isn't the next question...'Well Drew, tell us how this 'oversight' manifests itself'.

In other words, can you show us the evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Isn't the next question...'Well Drew, tell us how this 'oversight' manifests itself'.

In other words, can you show us the evidence?

He had it on his phone which he has mislaid, sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

dabestman1 wrote: »
    So a Garda Commissioner gives a political view that badmouths 1 party without a shred of evidence,

Without evidence? Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You are hilarious.

You are worried by this but you have been flat out all week posting much worse implications and connections than the PSNI are. :):):)

Of course because it is an open forum. And I have never heard of SF threatening to sue anyone for implying that SF is the same as the IRA. Nor have SF ever threatened to sue anyone who claim the the IRA army council still hold sway in SF.
    I wonder why that is?

For example Alan Shatter successfully sued the Irish Times for defamation.

https://www.thejournal.ie/alan-shatter-irish-times-4031501-May2018/

Remember this is the same Alan Shatter who was refereed to as Goebbels by O'Snodaigh.

https://www.herald.ie/news/osnodaigh-stoops-even-lower-with-nazi-jibe-at-jewish-td-27898237.html

Also this was not the first time SF reps have being questioned over thier racist or quasi racist views is it?

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0219/1116302-cronin-comments/

But sure it is all a laugh and a bit of craic!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

2 things:

1. I can't stand SF, I do view them as a very cloak-and-dagger, military style politicial entity. For me there is no question that they still take their orders from dark unelected figures in the background and I will never consider them for a vote.

2. There is undoubtedly an agenda based media campaign against them, which can go one way or the other. I'm not a fan of media agendas, they tend to be highly biased and often promote complete rubbish as 'fact' (eg the gender pay myth).

But then again, people are entitled to their views and if I was a journalist tasked with giving my view on SF, it wouldn't be too flattering either!!

Are you not aware of the major on line choreographed attacks that Sinn Fein made on every party and politician that stood against them ? A constant barage of abuse and name calling. They advertised on their website for people to join the 'Digital Rising' https://www.sinnfein.ie/sfos
    Now they are getting some of it back. And the truth hurts.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Without evidence? Rubbish
    must have missed this, must be with the Dublin and Monaghans file that he would not release:)
    Getting involved with the independent Democracy of a country that he colluded with loyalists to attack and kill its citizens is shameful. He should resign as he never should have been appointed in the first place. Appointed by a Tan as well:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Necro wrote: »
    I wouldn't often post a Westlife song but I feel the level of whataboutery in this post deserves it

My own fault for taking your as genuine.
    I responded to your 'concerns' and explained why I thought that way. Not once did I deflect, I actually agreed with the 'news'.

No more than any other party. Especially less so with the people voted for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Why would we trust what the PSNI/MI5 has to say bearing in mind their refusal to co-operate in the Dublin-Monaghan bombings enquiry. It is in their interests to betray Sinn Fein as the bad guys, because if they get into power in Dublin, they won't let the British Government off on that score.

As to the 'shadowy figures' of Sinn Fein. Ted Howell (the shadowy character behind Sinn Fein) is a longtime member of Sinn Fein and a trusted advisor of Gerry Adams, not much of a different role to Fergus Finlay when he was pulling Dick Spring's strings for Labour. I couldn't find any info on him being involved in the Provos.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ira-has-disbanded-terrorist-structure-says-report-917712.html

Is anyone gonna ask Drew etc what nefarious sinister things are happening that shows this is anything other than former members of the IRA getting involved in democratic politics, as they committed to doing in the GFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is anyone gonna ask Drew etc what nefarious sinister things are happening that shows this is anything other than former members of the IRA getting involved in democratic politics, as they committed to doing in the GFA?

that may well be the case, so let the public know that this is the set up, turn a negative into a positive and lets see some transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Drugs , extortion , punishment Beating ,fuel laundering and God know what else ,

But this is all public knowledge

Once a scum always scum

that would not suit the agenda of MI5 FFG. If Drew wants to do something honourable, release the files on the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, Miami Showband massacre, etc. Also if he wants to reduce the Drug Problem, why doesn't he ask the "Taoiseasch" Leo who his drug dealer was?

Drew Harris has some neck talking about terrorist groups when he comes from RUC stock. A loyalist terrorist should never have been given that job, it was an absolute disgrace.

Gatling wrote: »

Once a scum always scum
    enough about leo and drew:)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Annabella1

I believe the Gardai 100%

The independent force for law and order in this country (not ‘state’)

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Drugs , extortion , punishment Beating ,fuel laundering and God know what else ,

But this is all public knowledge

Once a scum always scum

Run by the IRA as an organisation?

How come they are allowing SF to be involved in Stormont if this is the case?

That would be an immediate breach of the GFA.

Advertisement