Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Unfortunately, if you're younger (say under 40), you don't remember or realise what the Provos did. What I can't understand is the older people who should remember but still voted SF. They want change but the change they'll get won't be the one they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

i don't know about you but if I had a fight with a member of young Fine Gael in the pub I wouldn't be watching my back. Can you say the same about a 'connected' member of SF/IRA? Really?

Had an online dispute with a then SF councillor, now TD. He tried to get my businesses shut down.

Had an online dispute with his director of elections before the last election - he called to my parents house the next day to make sure that I got some SF election material... "make sure X gets that". My elderly parents were petrified.

The reason why more people don't stand up to SF is because they don't want to be intimidated.

Look at what happens to people who have arguments with republicans in the north - Robert McCartney for example... and none of the people in the pub that night happened to see anything, many of them were new members of SF,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/unsolved-murder-casts-a-shadow-over-belfast-s-new-mayor-1.3525899

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

alastair wrote: »
    Is it really your contention that this was held back for the possibility of a second election? That was the devious master plan?

No. I think the plan is to throw shít at Sinn Fein, they seem to be running out of shít if they are asking in 2020 about a report from 2015.

Again, like I stated the second election has started, FF and FG have to do a bit time wasting next week, but it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Boggles wrote: »
    Why was Harris asked about a report from 5 years ago?

He wasn’t asked about any report, he was asked what the official position that the Gardaí took regarding SF/IRA/Provisional Army Council.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Had an online dispute with a then SF councillor, now TD. He tried to get my businesses shut down.

Had an online dispute with his director of elections before the last election - he called to my parents house the next day to make sure that I got some SF election material... "make sure X gets that". My elderly parents were petrified.

3 Questions

Why are you having so many disputes?

Why do they appear to be exclusively with members of SF?

How does one go about shutting downs ones business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

Look at what happens to people who have arguments with republicans in the north - Robert McCartney for example... and none of the people in the pub that night happened to see anything, many of them were new members of SF,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/unsolved-murder-casts-a-shadow-over-belfast-s-new-mayor-1.3525899

That's not fair. All potential witnesses, 71 of them, were in the toilet at the time, which measured 4ft. by 3ft !

(And one of them is currently a SF minister in NI.)

3 Questions

Why are you having so many disputes?

Why do they appear to be exclusively with members of SF?

How does one go about shutting downs ones business?

Dispute was the wrong word. Discussion about local events on social and questioning councillor why he had said that a TD was living outside of the county when he wasn't.

Because no other parties were making **** up about sitting TDs.

You ring up the landlords of the rented premises and threaten them with legal action..... and make sure to say that you're with Sinn Fein.

He was told where to go.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    He wasn’t asked about any report, he was asked what the official position that the Gardaí took regarding SF/IRA/Provisional Army Council.

It's your link, you need to read again.
    At a Garda passing out ceremony for 200 new members of the force in the Garda College, Templemore, Co Tipperary, Mr Harris confirmed the Garda’s view of the relationship between the Provisional Army Council, the IRA and Sinn Féin was the same as the PSNI.

So he was basically asked does he agree with the PSNI?

An opinion the PSNI stated in 2015.

Again I'll ask.

Why was he asked about a report from 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

the ff and fg supporters just need to get over the fact plenty of us voted for sf and want change, change which both ff and fg have refused to deliver.
    we are not stupid, we are not uneducated or any other slur thrown at us.
    it doesn't matter how much nonsense and mud is slung at sf, it will not change our vote.

Not true SF got over 25% of seats in the dáil and even looking at the popular vote SF got 535K. But labour, FF and FG had a combined popular vote of 1.1m. All of those parties said they would not go into coalition with SF prior to the election.

This anti-SF mandate must be respected no matter how much SF try to spin that they 'won' the election.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This anti-SF mandate must be respected no matter how much SF try to spin that they 'won' the election.

And I respect every party that says that they won't go into Govt with SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

crossman47 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if you're younger (say under 40), you don't remember or realise what the Provos did. What I can't understand is the older people who should remember but still voted SF. They want change but the change they'll get won't be the one they want.

I’m old enough to remember all of the ****e associated with the troubles. I’m also aware enough to understand that SF are not about to unleash any new round of provo violence. The issue with unelected committees influencing a democratic government is more about the dev/mcquaid dynamic than paramilitarism. A fresh flavour of unaccountable influence isn’t the sort of change I’d be particularly excited about.

A SF led/dominated government won’t usher in Marxism or Venezuelan style strong man politics. But disquiet about the sort of shady double-speak antics that’s been the norm within SF for a long time, isn’t restricted to those who weigh in behind FG or FF.

Dispute was the wrong word. Discussion about local events on social and questioning councillor why he had said that a TD was living outside of the county when he wasn't.

Because no other parties were making **** up about sitting TDs.

You ring up the landlords of the rented premises and threaten them with legal action..... and make sure to say that you're with Sinn Fein.

He was told where to go.

Okay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hit job on SF continues. They will still return a majority if it goes to reelection.

Articles like this are not helpful.

Definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result...

SF must be loving this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's your link, you need to read again.

So he was basically asked does he agree with the PSNI?

An opinion the PSNI stated in 2015.

Again I'll ask.

Why was he asked about a report from 2015?

No. I think the plan is to throw shít at Sinn Fein, they seem to be running out of shít if they are asking in 2020 about a report from 2015.

It’s topical because they’re topical. Do you imagine much has changed in the last five years? Is it more or less likely that it’s still the same scenario - particularly after the shenanigans in Stormont so recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jesus. How naive can you get?

The 'republican movement' is still a thing, and members of that movement still appear to be OK with resolving arguments by killing or torturing people, and perhaps more importantly when that happens the extended movement, including prominent Sinn Fein members, don't co-operate with the Gardai or the PSNI.

It isn't in the past, Google Jonathan Dowdall who despite Mary Lou's attempt's to claim otherwise was still a SF member when torturing a man and telling him he shouldn't have messed with the IRA - in 2015.

i don't know about you but if I had a fight with a member of young Fine Gael in the pub I wouldn't be watching my back. Can you say the same about a 'connected' member of SF/IRA? Really?

You might want a future in which extra-judicial killings go un-investigated and a political party with a private army of goons is in office. Just don't start bleating when one of your kids gets into a fight with the wrong person.

the scaremongering and mud slinging are not going to work, a huge amount of people have spoken and have voted for sf dispite the issues of the past.
    you lost, it's time to simply reflect on where you went wrong and strive to be a better party going forward.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

crossman47 wrote: »

This is a circular historical argument that will get us nowhere.

The provos it could be argued were created because of the maltreatment of the people of belfast and derry during the 60's, culminating in bloody sunday which saw the provos ranks swell with 'Volunteers'.

But where is any of that going to get anyone.

Today, there is no war, there are no guns, and with all political parties, there are outside influencers, it just so happens Sinn Feins are the former provos (Who embraced peace and gave up their arms), did you hear the charlie bird interview on Newstalk the other night?

Let the past be the past and get on with now.

By the way, i am on the wrong side of 40.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    inb4 "Drew RUC Harris" and whataboutery brigade arrives.

I don't see the shiners yet.

There's no whataboutery in the statement from the Garda commissioner. A man that knows the ira far better than the ira would like and certainly more than the majority of sf supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Hahahahahahaha.

Get a fúckíng grip will yeah.

Its not solely SF in government that would cripple the country, but the perfect storm of SF in government and some yet unknown global crisis that could make this a plausible outcome.

In such in scenario we'll see if you laugh so hard with empty supermarket shelves and a dinner menu of old chinese newspaper and dog.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There is a very strong possibility that SF will be in power in the not too distant future, this needs to be discussed.

We've all seen SF in power already though, in fact many younger voters will have spent most of their politically aware years knowing SF are in government to some extent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think with these latest attacks on SF, it can be surmised that Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have made a deal and will go into Government together in a few weeks quoting "for the good of the country in order to keep the wolves (in this case SF) at the door". The attacks on SF will ramp up for the next few weeks.

That will be what they tell us as they desperately try to save face.

A ****show all around. Looking forward to the day we get a new centre right party. The current crop are outrageously transparent to all in their disingenuity. Its embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Bowie wrote: »
    Yes, but SF are the IRA right, so the IRA would be the government? :rolleyes:

You may say this jokingly but there would most likely be an element of truth in it.
    Would you be ok with Pearce Doherty if he was minister for finance asking for the ok from the army council on how to spend tax payers money like was the case with the cash for ash deal up North?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/a1602f08-30b4-11ea-9703-eea0cae3f0de

This isn't speculation, this is proof that Sinn Fein need to consult the army council before making decisions.

blanch152 wrote: »
    This is the Garda Commissioner, telling it as it is. He is independent of government and political parties.

But he also said he would have no problem either working with a Sinn Fein minister of justice should one ever be appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Former Deputy chief and PSNI-MI5 Liaison Drew Harris agrees with the PSNI oh my God i'm absolutely stunned who could have predicted that?? To present Drew as some sort of neutral here is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

blanch152 wrote: »
    This is the Garda Commissioner, telling it as it is. He is independent of government and political parties.

Wasn’t it a Garda Commissioner who told the head one of the most influential Oireachtas committees tham Maurice McCabe was a kiddy fiddler.

Serving his own agenda possibly. Definitely not to be blindly trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There seems to be no whataboutery in it. The 'ra are still there. It is not just Drew Harris that said it. The Gardai have said it. Brendan Howlin has said it recently.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/ourview/a-new-reality-faces-the-north--southern-hypocrisy-exposed-973925.html

The IMC said in 2008 that though the IRA had disbanded the IRA army council had not dissolved.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/sep/03/northernireland.ireland

Also Bhishop Daly spoke of Adams deviousness and untrustworthiness

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/gerry-adams-was-at-most-no-3-on-ira-army-council-said-priest-1.3333574

Maria Cahill has constantly spoken of the IRA hierarchy in SF

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/16/rape-victim-mairia-cahill-speaks-out

I suppose all of these individuals and independent bodies are all wrong or liars on the issue?

Drew Harris and Mairia Cahill aren't exactly neutral players ?

alastair wrote: »
    It’s topical because they’re topical. Do you imagine much has changed in the last five years? Is it more or less likely that it’s still the same scenario - particularly after the shenanigans in Stormont so recently?

Yes an absolute Shít load has changed in the past 5 years.

For one you had Gerry and Martin at the top of the party.

kevcos wrote: »
    Its not solely SF in government that would cripple the country, but the perfect storm of SF in government and some yet unknown global crisis that could make this a plausible outcome.

In such in scenario we'll see if you laugh so hard with empty supermarket shelves and a dinner menu of old chinese newspaper and dog.

Sure yeah, if an asteroid hits we will be eating dogs. But we will blame SF.

:pac:

Let the past be the past and get on with now.

Why should we forget about murders and killings though just because those murders were carried out by SF's terrorist wing?

We wouldn't let a lone murderer away with it / or forget their crimes.

Why should we in this case? Particularly when so many innocent people died at the hands of the IRA.

• Advertisement

Yes an absolute Shít load has changed in the past 5 years.

For one you had Gerry and Martin at the top of the party.

Yes. But plenty more who were instrumental in running the show are still involved. Including Gerry. Ted Howell is in good health, and still keeping busy.

Advertisement