Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is what the Greens do, talk to their members. They did it in 2007 as well and it culminated in a vote on coalition at a mini Ard Fheis.

I'll keep an eye out for Leo on the news whinging about the greens holding rallies similar to the shinners shall I?

SF rallies an 'unwelcome development', says Varadkar

He's doing himself no favours, he's getting absolutely torn to shreds on twitter, he'd be better just doing a STFU until he can depart the stage unnoticed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,151 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye out for Leo on the news whinging about the greens holding rallies similar to the shinners shall I?

He's doing himself no favours, he's getting absolutely torn to shreds on twitter, he'd be better just doing a STFU until he can depart the stage unnoticed tbh.

Ditto Simon Harris.

They'd be better taking their own advice and find a few opposition benches to hide behind for a while. Everything they do is backfiring spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Poor auld blanch is after having a fierce bad time of it recently. Just can't help putting his two feet in the gob.

I'll tell you what Leo's only objection is to the shinners holding public meetings with the electorate, and that is that the shinners thought of it first and stole his thunder.

I've been saying for a year of two that he's the emperor with no clothes, and now the public's all pointing and laughing at him walking around with his meat and two veg on show.

Some meltdown. :D

The truth is FG don’t know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

blanch152 wrote: »
    Who?

None of that comes anywhere close to Drew Harris' comments going down like a lead balloon.

A few fringe comments and RBB do not make a lead balloon.

Remember this RBB got more 1st preference votes than Varadkar lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Leo has been having a mare now for a while.

In hindsight they probably should have went with the popular vote for the party leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Only a buffoon would pay attention to what people are saying about you on Twitter. It’s even worse than here and the journal comments section.

Boggles wrote: »
    Leo has been having a mare now for a while.

In hindsight they probably should have went with the popular vote for the party leader.

His PR Guru needs balls of his own dung fired at him.

Only a buffoon would pay attention to what people are saying about you on Twitter. It’s even worse than here and the journal comments section.

That would explain why Simon Harris was kept away from it for the entire election campaign, and Eoghan Murphy still hasn't been given permission to go back on it.

You'd have to wonder why leo bothers with it at all tbh, certainly does him no favours.

That would explain why Simon Harris was kept away from it for the election campaign, and Eoghan Murphy still hasn't been given permission to go back on it.

It’s much more likely than politicians are just realising it’s a platform full of mouth-breathing malcontents and a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Shatter was fairly upset about twitter comments. The buffoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Looking forward to those 'rallies'. Can't remember the last time a proper political party decided to hold a 'rally' immediately after an election. Oh wait! Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭1641

jm08 wrote: »
    Ah, so you think it was ok for the British to call the State anything it liked because they had a gripe, but its ok to ignore an Irish political party who may have a gripe because of the constitutional situation!

Why the distortion?

I did not say it was OK for Britain not to use the name "Ireland" for our state. In fact I said it was a snub (giving the reason for the snub as they saw it is not saying it is ok - it was still a snub).

But the British did not "call our state anything they liked". They called it "Eire", which was one of the two official names given to our state in the Constitution.Later they also referred to it as "the Republic of Ireland", after it was given legal status in our Republic of Ireland Act, 1949. Neither of these terms are insults. They have used "Ireland" since the Good Friday agreement.

Sinn Fein, on the other hand, will still not use either of the Constitutional names for the state or the legally recognised name, "Rep of Ireland". You quibble about the British not using one of the official names for our state, while you seem to no difficulty with Sinn fein declining to use any of the official names? How ridiculous. It is Sinn Fein reps who are calling the state anything they like (well, actually using the terminology which is approved for them by the powers that be).

You say it is because of a gripe. There are democratic means to address whatever gripe that is but until then it is insulting for a party with pretentions to govern the state to refuse to use the name of the state - instead calling it the "free state" or various alternatives.

Not only that. Do we want a government minister representing this state on the international stage who will not use the proper name of the State they are representing? What will they use? The Minister for Agriculture from "southern Ireland" or "the Free State"? Taoiseach of "the south of Ireland" ?

I am quite sure that the majority of Irish citizens (who aren't ashamed to call themselves so) would want representatives of the state who proudly use the name of the state.

An insult to who?

I find it it insulting. I think it is insulting to the citizens of this state for a political party to refuse to give the state its name. The names "Ireland" and "Eire" are in our Constitution , which was ratified by Referendum. If Sinn Fein want to amend the Constitution then they should campaign to do so. Until then they should respect it.

And that is not to even go into the fundamentalist republican ideology that is behind this dancing around giving the state its official, legal and constitutional terminology.

It’s much more likely than politicians are just realising it’s a platform full of mouth-breathing malcontents and a complete waste of time.

Simon and leo obviously bucking the trend so.

Do you ever put any forethought into anything you post dude?

Looking forward to those 'rallies'. Can't remember the last time a proper political party decided to hold a 'rally' immediately after an election. Oh wait! Nah.

A political party engaging with the electorate in public transparent meetings anyone can go and attend ?

The fcuking downright cheek of them, seriously, it's a threat to democracy I tell ya!

IMG-20200224-195951.jpg

1641 wrote: »
    Why the distortion?

I did not say it was OK for Britain not to use the name "Ireland" for our state. In fact I said it was a snub (giving the reason for the snub as they saw it is not saying it is ok - it was still a snub).
    But the British did not "call our state anything they liked". They called it "Eire", which was one of the two official names given to our state in the Constitution.Later they also referred to it as "the Republic of Ireland", after it was given legal status in our Republic of Ireland Act, 1949. Neither of these terms are insults. They have used "Ireland" since the Good Friday agreement.

Sinn Fein, on the other hand, will still not use either of the Constitutional names for the state or the legally recognised name, "Rep of Ireland". You quibble about the British not using one of the official names for our state, while you seem to no difficulty with Sinn fein declining to use any of the official names? How ridiculous. It is Sinn Fein reps who are calling the state anything they like (well, actually using the terminology which is approved for them by the powers that be).

You say it is because of a gripe. There are democratic means to address whatever gripe that is but until then it is insulting for a party with pretentions to govern the state to refuse to use the name of the state - instead calling it the "free state" or various alternatives.

Not only that. Do we want a government minister representing this state on the international stage who will not use the proper name of the State they are representing? What will they use? The Minister for Agriculture from "southern Ireland" or "the Free State"? Taoiseach of "the south of Ireland" ?

I am quite sure that the majority of Irish citizens (who aren't ashamed to call themselves so) would want representatives of the state who proudly use the name of the state.

I find it it insulting. I think it is insulting to the citizens of this state for a political party to refuse to give the state its name. The names "Ireland" and "Eire" are in our Constitution , which was ratified by Referendum. If Sinn Fein want to amend the Constitution then they should campaign to do so. Until then they should respect it.

And that is not to even go into the fundamentalist republican ideology that is behind this dancing around giving the state its official, legal and constitutional terminology.

Yeah, it's pathetic. It's a bit like Shinners here using 'FFG'. Maybe other people should start using SFIRA?

A political party engaging with the electorate in public transparent meetings anyone can go and attend ?

The fcuking downright cheek of them, seriously, it's a threat to democracy I tell ya!

Let's hope not. Let's hope speakers don't start shouting "Up the Ra".

Or singing come out you black and tans. Charlie wouldn't be impressed.

Or singing come out you black and tans. Charlie wouldn't be impressed.

No indeed. Would undermine credibility.

Simon and leo obviously bucking the trend so.

Do you ever put any forethought into anything you post dude?

The penny mightn’t have dropped with them yet.

I don’t want to personalise this, Murphy, but you’re not the sharpest knife in the block. A bit of an ‘I seen’ merchant.

The penny mightn’t have dropped with them yet.
    Unsurprising really, the strategy they adopted during the election campaign that backfired on them so spectacularly is still being clung to. So that's quite possible alright, they're a bit slow in getting the message alright.
    I don’t want to personalise this, Murphy, but you’re not the sharpest knife in the block. A bit of an ‘I seen’ merchant.

It'll be something else tomorrow Johnny, relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

infiltration of SF love in rallies is what’s needed.

Could be interesting if it happens, otherwise it’s preaching to the converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

You're right.

The countries leader embarrassing himself today was enough.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Shatter was fairly upset about twitter comments. The buffoon.

Simon Harris was doing plenty of 'woe is me' on radio on Sunday morning too, before insulting all and sundry himself in the studio. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Michael Martin's bailiwick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Just like the dirty electorate? You lads a consistent fair play.
    The tweet caused quite the stir in the UK, with the back and forth online getting picked up by British media outlets, including The Express newspaper and Bloomberg.

Sneering Leo Varadkar MOCKS Britain and taunts Brexiteers as he plays power politics

When asked did the Taoiseach send that tweet, his spokesperson said Varadkar “originates all of his own tweets” adding that the Taoiseach has “no regrets in sending that tweet”.

The government spokesperson said the tweet was “light-hearted” and “was an attempt at humour”.

The spokesperson said the Taoiseach does not do a lot of British media because his comments are often “taken up completely in the wrong way”.

“It’s just not worth it,” he added.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-tweet-2-4301688-Oct2018/

I mean with the foot in the mouth ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

IMG-20200224-195951.jpg

It's just bullying and intimidation Mc.

OOOH they're getting rowdy...somebody call the cops! :)

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1232038008402194435

McDonald calls for a people's government?
    What are they talking about?
    The people have voted. What do they expect now?
    Their 20 something % will change into 50 something %?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

bubblypop wrote: »
    Their 20 something % will change into 50 something %?

With another election around the corner.....

Advertisement