Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Who is asking questions? A load of lads with badly translated Irish names on Twitter doesn’t really count.

Is Irish and irishness a dirty word now just because you hate SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

1641 wrote: »
    If it is not hard to find then I am surprised that is the best you can come up with. Ireland did join in 1973 - both ROI and NI. So they can use it in that context. They are fond of trying to create those illusions.
    But if it that easy to find, it should be in of their public addresses, publications, etc. Right? Using the Ireland or Eire or ROI to specifically refer to the state as defined in our Constitution?
    Or can you find it in relation to Northern Ireland? Not my primary concern but it would be some indication that they do not have a profound theological taboo.

The UK only accepted that the name of the state is ''Ireland'' in 1998 (under the GFA). Up to that they called it Rep. of Ireland. Seemingly, the Irish lads used to send back extradition orders because the British would refuse to address the State with its proper legal name of Ireland.

This is worth a read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Irish_state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »

I keep telling these chaps SF don't own Irishness, the language or the idea of a united Ireland. But like Irish water and the election, they can't allow themselves realise that because attacking a defined group or person is easier, (if dishonest) than attacking the Irish people who think that way, Kenny and Coveney included. Varadkar is not as slick as he could be. The general public don't like being pontificated to by a lad thinks borrowing off the parents is an option for everyone looking to put a roof over their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Native Irish speaker here, a chara. I didn’t have to suffer through the process of getting a planter surname translated into Irish. A True Gael.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭1641

jm08 wrote: »
    The UK only accepted that the name of the state is ''Ireland'' in 1998 (under the GFA). Up to that they called it Rep. of Ireland. Seemingly, the Irish lads used to send back extradition orders because the British would refuse to address the State with its proper legal name of Ireland.

This is worth a read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Irish_state

So after the Brits it is Sinn Fein who are the last hold outs in using the official name to refer to the State. But at least the Brits were prepared to use "Eire", the official name of our state in our first official language, and "Republic of Ireland", the legal description of this state since 1949.

Are Sinn Fein "more British than the British themselves"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If it is not hard to find then I am surprised that is the best you can come up with. Ireland did join in 1973 - both ROI and NI. So they can use it in that context. They are fond of trying to create those illusions.
    But if it that easy to find, it should be in of their public addresses, publications, etc. Right? Using the Ireland or Eire or ROI to specifically refer to the state as defined in our Constitution?
    Or can you find it in relation to Northern Ireland? Not my primary concern but it would be some indication that they do not have a profound theological taboo.

You are the guy that brought us this theory...how's about you prove what you mean?

I have given you examples of the use of 'the Irish Government, Ireland' etc and Mary Lou uses the term Taoiseach all the time.

Native Irish speaker here, a chara. I didn’t have to suffer through the process of getting a planter surname translated into Irish. A True Gael.

It belongs to us all even those of us don't speak it or don't want it. I know a fair few of English lineage fluent, so what? Good on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm surprised at the meltdown the established parties and sections of the Irish media are having, it seems very undignified. When FF/FG and their lackeys go crying to the media I don't think they realise they no longer monopolise the Irish public consciousness and several hundred thousand people are chuckling at their tantrums.

You are the guy that brought us this theory...how's about you prove what you mean?

I have given you examples of the use of 'the Irish Government, Ireland' etc and Mary Lou uses the term Taoiseach all the time.

Theory or fact? "Irish government" does not involve using the official name (or names) of the state. Neither does "Taoiseach".

Of course they recognise "Taoiseach" - but Taoiseach of what? It is Taoiseach of "the southern state", the southern part of our country", "the south","the free state", etc. Or even of "this state". But never the official names of our country, or just Republic of Ireland.

If it is not a fact how come it is these strange and incorrect terms they always use?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Oh, I thought you meant something significant.

If you listened to any of the political programme on RTE over the weekend, you would know that DH's comments were heavily criticised. For example Dr Karen Devine of DCU on the News at One (I think) and Deirdre Younge in Village Magazine.
    https://villagemagazine.ie/a-recent-bbc-spotlight-programme-reinforced-the-inconvenient-truth-that-there-was-widespread-collusion-across-the-loyalist-spectrum-from-the-dup-to-the-uvf-to-mi5/

I've been impressed with DH up to now, but since Charlie & Leo's gaff over the Black & Tans, I'm not sure if their judgement is up to scratch and putting a former MI5-PSNI liaison officer in charge of the Gardai was just naive and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you listened to any of the political programme on RTE over the weekend, you would know that DH's comments were heavily criticised. For example Dr Karen Devine of DCU on the News at One (I think) and Deirdre Younge in Village Magazine.
    https://villagemagazine.ie/a-recent-bbc-spotlight-programme-reinforced-the-inconvenient-truth-that-there-was-widespread-collusion-across-the-loyalist-spectrum-from-the-dup-to-the-uvf-to-mi5/

I've been impressed with DH up to now, but since Charlie & Leo's gaff over the Black & Tans, I'm not sure if their judgement is up to scratch and putting a former MI5-PSNI liaison officer in charge of the Gardai was just naive and wrong.

Who?

None of that comes anywhere close to Drew Harris' comments going down like a lead balloon.

A few fringe comments and RBB do not make a lead balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eh, Dr Karen Devine is a cheerleader for IREXIT and has shared a stage with Waters and Farage.

Drew Harris' comments going down like a lead balloon.

They seem to have alright. Like all of these attempts. The latest being the toys coming out over public meetings. The Greens now saying they are doing the same thing.

That'll be a vote gone from you no doubt...now they've gone down the road to you know where(sinister Germanic music in the background) :)

So after the Brits it is Sinn Fein who are the last hold outs in using the official name to refer to the State. But at least the Brits were prepared to use "Eire", the official name of our state in our first official language, and "Republic of Ireland", the legal description of this state since 1949.

Are Sinn Fein "more British than the British themselves"?

Cannot you not see that the British refused to recognise that the name of the State was 'Ireland'? Using ''Eire'' or ''Republic of Ireland'' was intended as an insult?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They seem to have alright. Like all of these attempts. The latest being the toys coming out over public meetings. The Greens now saying they are doing the same thing.

That'll be a vote gone from you no doubt...now they've gone down the road to you know where(sinister Germanic music in the background) :)

He is having meetings with his members, not rallies of supporters.

different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

You almost got to feel sorry for the DUP, forced to share power with Sinn Fein and the traitors in the Republic trying everything to lock them out of power.

Hopefully ML fares better than Paschal, on his box talking to nobody. It's an election gimmick for FG but when SF do it it's suddenly not cool. Not inferring Paschal's was ;)

different thing.

From Michael Lehane

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1231993923880529927

Who?

None of that comes anywhere close to Drew Harris' comments going down like a lead balloon.

A few fringe comments and RBB do not make a lead balloon.

Karen Devine lectures in Law & Government in DCU, so hardly fringe.

Deirdre Younge as far as I can recall was the Editor of Primetime/its various predecessors in RTE for about 25 years (and is now presumably retired).

Not fringe comments.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Eh, Dr Karen Devine is a cheerleader for IREXIT and has shared a stage with Waters and Farage.

Not sure what your point is with that one. Sharing a platform with Farage would suggest that she would have a lot of time for former MI5 liaison officers and the British State that she admires because of Brexit.

• Advertisement

Cannot you not see that the British refused to recognise that the name of the State was 'Ireland'? Using ''Eire'' or ''Republic of Ireland'' was intended as an insult?

"Eire" was not an insult as it is one of the two official names in our Constitution:
    ARTICLE 4
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html

The British did not use "Ireland" as they regarded it as making a geographical claim to the the whole island. So not using it certainly was a snub. They were ok with using "Republic of Ireland" as it was not seen as having a jurisdictional implication. But they have used "Ireland" in its official sense since our referendum re the Good Friday agreement.

Sinn Fein, on the other hand, will not use either of the two versions of the name of the state as set our in our Constitution. Nor will they use the legal description ot the state, as set out in the Republic of Ireland Act, 1949. That very definitively is an insult.

I always used Ireland. More for practical reasons. When abroad nobody asks are you Republic of Ireland Irish or Northern Irish. You are either Irish from Ireland or you are from some other country. Even in England I've met many who don't make or are even sometimes aware of any distinction.

I'm still scratching my head here are you saying only those with that are true Gaels can have a say?Sounds desperately right wing.You seem to be flip flopping opinions from post to post.
    Táim go líofa as Gailge freisin. Tá dhá aimn gailge agam. Ní thigium cad tá á rá agat!

They'll desperately have to change the story somehow.finnerbots gonna have to regroup!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bowie wrote: »
    Hopefully ML fares better than Paschal, on his box talking to nobody. It's an election gimmick for FG but when SF do it it's suddenly not cool. Not inferring Paschal's was ;)

Lol. :pac:

Not sure what your point is with that one. Sharing a platform with Farage would suggest that she would have a lot of time for former MI5 liaison officers and the British State that she admires because of Brexit.
    It was at an IREXIT event. She strongly supports IREXIT, a position at most supported by a fringe element of 9%.

"Eire" was not an insult as it is one of the two official names in our Constitution:
    ARTICLE 4
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html

The British did not use "Ireland" as they regarded it as making a geographical claim to the the whole island. So not using it certainly was a snub. They were ok with using "Republic of Ireland" as it was not seen as having a jurisdictional implication. But they have used "Ireland" in its official sense since our referendum re the Good Friday agreement.

Sinn Fein, on the other hand, will not use either of the two versions of the name of the state as set our in our Constitution. Nor will they use the legal description ot the state, as set out in the Republic of Ireland Act, 1949. That very definitively is an insult.

Ah, so you think it was ok for the British to call the State anything it liked because they had a gripe, but its ok to ignore an Irish political party who may have a gripe because of the constitutional situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

ARTICLE 4

An insult to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

different thing.

Poor auld blanch is after having a fierce bad time of it recently. Just can't help putting his two feet in the gob.

I'll tell you what Leo's only objection is to the shinners holding public meetings with the electorate, and that is that the shinners thought of it first and stole his thunder.

I've been saying for a year of two that he's the emperor with no clothes, and now the public's all pointing and laughing at him walking around with his meat and two veg on show.

Some meltdown. :D

• Advertisement

They'll desperately have to change the story somehow.finnerbots gonna have to regroup!
    This is what the Greens do, talk to their members. They did it in 2007 as well and it culminated in a vote on coalition at a mini Ard Fheis.

Advertisement