Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Got a quote from one of the wholesalers mentioned in this thread.

Longi 360w @ €93.29 X 16

Solis 5Kw Hybrid €1029.30

Pylon2.4Kwh battery €680 X 2

16 panel tree system ground mount €1500

€160 delivery.

Is there much difference or advantages going for the modular lithium ion batteries or the ones that look like car batteries apart from cost?

What are main reasons for choosing between 12, 24 & 48v batteries?

Thanks.

Bear in mind that price is most likely +VAT i assume?

All the hybrid inverters run off 48V systems.

Lead acid, can only be discharged to 50% to prevent damage, Lithium can go to 80-90%

Also its Lithium Iron Phosphate them batteries are not lithium ion.

Can homebrew your own batteries, Buy bare cells from China, but the configuration is a lot more hands on, Also the buck stops with you! - I'm still tweaking mine. I did luck out and end up with 215-220ah cells!

If its the company I think your thinking of, It will be in your street nearly the next day after payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Yes all prices ex VAT

So add €750 odd at 13%

Correct Graememk they are lithium iron.

Some of the ground mounted quotes including install of similar sizes on here are up around the €13-15k mark.

Can do most of the work myself just to get it mains connected and signed off.

No grant as post 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

You understand that using Lithium Ion as opposed to what everyone else uses (Lithium Iron Phosphate - LiFePo) you are running a much, much higher risk of them going up in an uncontrollable fire? And I mean uncontrollable - look up youtube's of people's laptop batteries going up - and then imagine that times 100.

Your house insurance would be invalid I would think besides the fact that if you have them in your house.... I think you get the idea. If you want to use Li-ion you will have to house them outside your main house in a fireproof or otherwise 'I don't give a crap it burns down' structure.

Yes all prices ex VAT

So add €750 odd at 13%

Some of the ground mounted quotes including install of similar sizes on here are up around the €13-15k mark.

Can do most of the work myself just to get it mains connected and signed off.

No grant as post 2011

If buying direct vat is 21% don't get caught out.

@deagol, priced the plyontech lifepo4, iron not ion!

Batteries are nice to have but if you went for a standalone inverter and no batteries, you'd save about 500 on the inverter and also 1200 on the batteries.

With a feed in tariff on the horizon. It's hard to make batteries pay for themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...unless he has a trade account.......then 13%

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    ...unless he has a trade account.......then 13%

No? Unless I'm mistaken, it's still 21, but if your a trade, VAT Registered, you buy it, claim the 21% VAT back, then charge your customer for install and charge 13.5% on the whole thing.

Got trade account and few quid off listed online price.

21% means luxury item then not just electrical?

According to revenue.ie solar panels carry 21% but to supply and install is only 13%

Got trade account and few quid off listed online price.

21% means luxury item then not just electrical?

Generally 21% - thing
    13.5% - Service

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

graememk wrote: »
    No? Unless I'm mistaken, it's still 21, but if your a trade, VAT Registered, you buy it, claim the 21% VAT back, then charge your customer for install and charge 13.5% on the whole thing.

That's correct, graememk

PV panels only 5% VAT in the UK

Anyone buy from the continent?

Looks like delivery between €300-400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cheaper to buy here. The two main wholesale providers (who also supply retail) are solartricity (Irish owned) and midsummer (British owned), you take your pick ;)

In the event of a power cut which is frequent where I live will a 5-6 kw array keep the basics running during the day like wifi/internet/computer & fridge if the sun is not shining?

How long approx would a 4.8 Kwh battery power the same in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Lleyn elec

In the event of a power cut which is frequent where I live will a 5-6 kw array keep the basics running during the day like wifi/internet/computer & fridge if the sun is not shining?

A grid tied inverter won’t output anything if there is no mains.

Others will know more on here but I think some may possibly have the option connecting one output such as a socket for use in a power cut this wouldn’t be part of your normal consumer unit.

According to the sales guy the batteries will power the house once isolated from the mains during a power cut so I assume that's DC from batteries/panels going back through the invertor to supply the house AC.

Is this possible with a hybrid invertor or is there more kit needed?

Thanks.

All depends on how much power you use!

According to the sales guy the batteries will power the house once isolated from the mains during a power cut so I assume that's DC from batteries/panels going back through the invertor to supply the house AC.

Thanks.

Therein lies your issue, get that in writing, also remember the amps/voltage from the batteries will be limited so e.g. you won't boil a kettle.
    A typical 2 battery Pylontech 2.4kWh battery setup (so 4.8kWh) will max out at 2.2kW consumption

I will double check Slave1

With everything tripped out bar bare essentials, TV/WiFi few lights & fridge say even 500W a 4.8 Kwh battery should last 8 hours.

I would be happy with 6 hours.

I will double check Slave1

With everything tripped out bar bare essentials, TV/WiFi few lights & fridge say even 500W a 4.8 Kwh battery should last 8 hours.

I would be happy with 6 hours.

4.8kWh is the rating of the battery, you will not have access to 100% of it, it is typically only 80%-90% accessible.
    That gives you 3.9kWh to 4.3kWh accessible so would reduce your 8 hours

Thanks.

Standard setup won't power the house when grid power goes off. There is a switch that isolates the solar panels / batteries from the inverter once the grid power is lost. This is because otherwise the grid upstream of your house could be live when the power workers would expect it to be offline.

The inverters have a seperate off-grid connection that allows you to take power
    from the panels and battery but you cannot use this to power the normal mains circuit in your house. Simplest you could do would be to have an extension lead from the inverter to what ever you wanted to power. A previous poster did show more complex arrangement that isolates the house wiring from the grid via a large switch and that brings the inverter back in.

That salesman sounds like someone you should be very wary of if he's spouting things like that... it's a big warning sign - as another post said, make sure you get all the promises in writing..

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

Thanks.

I'm guessing a lot hybrid inverters with battery backup mode but how you use is key, so for instance some installers offered to just have a dedicated set of sockets off that. in power outage plug what you need into that (as other posters mentioned as long as output from battery will cover it - maybe you can't even run a kettle!)

The next option I got was a sub board. I'm not exactly sure how this is wired up but my understanding is a small board is installed with a couple of circuits from your main board - eg lights. (where i'm lost is how this is powered when you don't have a power cut! as I would assume the backup sockets only work when the power goes off and not all the time ???)

This option is more complicated and basically you get an isolating switch put in before your existing fuse board. In normal operation its set to grid mode thus you get power from grid and/or panels/battery. In case of power cut i switch that over to backup mode which disconnects me from the grid and instead all power then is coming from the backup supply of the inverter. (as far as i recall when i enable this mode the connection between panels and hybrid inverter is also reestablished hence i can use both battery and solar power -- plan to test that but not when wife is around to complain about all the time clocks needing to be reset!!!!)

• Advertisement

idc wrote: »
    IThis option is more complicated and basically you get an isolating switch put in before your existing fuse board. In normal operation its set to grid mode thus you get power from grid and/or panels/battery. In case of power cut i switch that over to backup mode which disconnects me from the grid and instead all power then is coming from the backup supply of the inverter. (as far as i recall when i enable this mode the connection between panels and hybrid inverter is also reestablished hence i can use both battery and solar power -- plan to test that but not when wife is around to complain about all the time clocks needing to be reset!!!!)

That's interesting idc.

Have you tested your setup in a power cut or just out of curiosity to see how it would perform independently?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

That's interesting idc.

Have you tested your setup in a power cut or just out of curiosity to see how it would perform independently?

I want to test that to be sure. When installed they showed me backup working but can't remember if I also saw panels still feeding battery/inverter. I'm 99% sure that's what installer told me as he explained another customer had power cut during summer but his battery didn't have much charge, so he turned off pretty much everything to reduce his consumption as much as possible and then let panels fill up the battery for him to use later in the day while powercut was still in effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Deagol wrote: »
    The inverters have a seperate off-grid connection that allows you to take power
    from the panels and battery but you cannot use this to power the normal mains circuit in your house.

Not true.

You can put a changeover switch ahead of your consumer unit that has grid and solar inverter backup power as options.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Not true.

You can put a changeover switch ahead of your consumer unit that has grid and solar inverter backup power as options.

Sorry, I worded it badly.

Typically, you can't do it I guess might have been better - always ways to do things though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Deagol wrote: »
    Good grief - how crude could you be? Pretty much would rule me out of ever using your company if this is how you behave and as another post has said... if you have four grammar errors (including not capitalizing your own name) and a spelling error in a single sentence post I'd dubious how much effort you'd put into doing work correctly.

There are people on here (not me) who had systems installed by this person. And are quite happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

I didn't listen to the radio interview posted a number of pages back regarding Eamon Ryan and supposedly FIT only be available to certain BER rated properties. Anyone know what the thought process behind this would be.

cubix wrote: »
    I didn't listen to the radio interview posted a number of pages back regarding Eamon Ryan and supposedly FIT only be available to certain BER rated properties. Anyone know what the thought process behind this would be.

Covered quite thoroughly in this thread : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149744

TLDR 2 tariffs proposed - both are to run, a subsidised one and a standard one
    Subsidised - Limits on export (prevent cash for ash kind of thing), BER ratings, installs after 30th june 2021

Standard one that goes on the wholesale rate.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cubix wrote: »
    ... and supposedly FIT only be available to certain BER rated properties. Anyone know what the thought process behind this would be.

The thought process is that you spend your money on other more beneficial things before you spend it on Solar PV. e.g. insulation, heating controls etc.

And its not a new requirement as such, since the existing Solar PV grant has a BER C (post-works) minimum requirement in place already.

• Advertisement

;)Yeah had seen the previous C rating. The house was built in 2000 and would expect it to reach a C after PV install as boiler/ controls were upgraded along with with some wall & attic insulation but not sure if it would get a B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement