Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    As a side note, IMO I don't think electricity prices will rise long term, the opposite in fact, I believe they will fall to a fraction of the current price. At the same time I believe grid connection charges will rise and be the majority of most peoples bills.

Its the only model I can see for power companies surviving as more and more people install renewables and claim FIT.

Thats already happening. They are proposing significantly increasing the PSO levy to subsidise the FiT, which is a charge you cant dodge regardless of how many panels you have on the roof.

There will be some turmoil in energy prices over the next few decades for sure. Hard to predict how it will all pan out but governments will need to ensure the poor dont get shafted so they will need to control/regulate it via the likes of the PSO levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭citizen6

Best quote I have so far, from a company with a triple barrel name and addresses in Donabate and Sligo:
    • 6.12kWp from 18 x 340W Q-Cell panels (ground mounted)
    • 5.2kWh GivEnergy battery
    • 5kW GivEnergy hybrid inverter
    • €11,500 less grant = €8,500
    • excludes groundworks

Do those in the know have any concerns about the tech listed above? Anyone with experience of this installer, could I get a PM? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

citizen6 wrote: »
    Best quote I have so far, from a company with a triple barrel name and addresses in Donabate and Sligo:
    • excludes groundworks

Do those in the know have any concerns about the tech listed above? Anyone with experience of this installer, could I get a PM? Thanks.
    I got a similar setup though with a eddi water diverter heater and zappi car charger plus hub monitoring etc for 7k cost to me. Though several reckon on here eddi is useless as the fit coming along.. best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• excludes groundworks

Seems very expensive to me, I got 18 x 410w panels, 2.4kWh battery, 5kW BPE Hybrid Inverter for €8.6k less grant of €3.0k so net €5.6k.
    Mine was a traditional roof install and included all safety/cables etc, I got a smaller battery than you but not enough to make up a €2.9k difference.

If you want installer details please PM me.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Do (m)any SEAI registered installers install customer supplied kit? And if so what price should I expect to pay for the install alone? I will do any work I possibly can do myself, installing ground mounts, concrete base etc, running cabling.

Plan is to buy a ground mounted 6kW solar PV install add in a battery or two. If I can get the full SEAI grant and supply the kit myself, having a registered installer wire it to the house and grid, it makes a lot of sense.

I'm still trying to work out the technical details. If it's possible our batteries would store night rate electricity AND save any excess solar. We have a lot of daytime usage. I'm not sure if that's possible having the battery AC side like many of you or if it's only possible with a hybrid inverter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

47akak wrote: »
    Do (m)any SEAI registered installers install customer supplied kit? And if so what price should I expect to pay for the install alone? I will do any work I possibly can do myself, installing ground mounts, concrete base etc, running cabling.

Plan is to buy a ground mounted 6kW solar PV install add in a battery or two. If I can get the full SEAI grant and supply the kit myself, having a registered installer wire it to the house and grid, it makes a lot of sense.

I'm still trying to work out the technical details. If it's possible our batteries would store night rate electricity AND save any excess solar. We have a lot of daytime usage. I'm not sure if that's possible having the battery AC side like many of you or if it's only possible with a hybrid inverter.

What you are sort of looking for is an installer to sign it off, which they might do for €3k - the price of the Grant. I checked when I self built (I'm just a handy ish DIYer) and even struggled to get anyone to even respond.

Just plan on getting a roofer if you are uncomfortable with that part. It sounds like you are well capable of doing everything else. You only need a Sparks to get the initial NC6 form signed off (well, nominated on it). Since that part is with the ESB and assigned to your MRPN, I reckon that will be the link for FIT

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

• excludes groundworks

Do you have any concern with planning permission for the ground mount? I would guess the mount will be hight that 2M above ground which, as far as I can see, is the only restriction on sites where the mount won't reduce the overall area to below 25M^2. I am looking at a very similar setup but the stickler for me is planning at the moment, not sure how to go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ivyhouse

• excludes groundworks

I got a similar quote and it's a bit above my budget.
    This thread has fantastic information and is a great place to learn. Thanks to everyone for sharing their information to help newbies along.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭slayer91

Hi,

Has anyone got an install done since the lockdown in early Jan?

Regards

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Emailed my installer was told all on hold due to lockdown, was what i expected to hear to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• excludes groundworks

Very expensive. Is there a premium on ground mounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,836 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ground mount is far more expensive than roof mounted. Unless you have some crude materials already and you can do all the work DIY :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

6 wrote: »

I was given a quote for groundmount €1500 more than roof mount.

Cost was €500 for man and digger for the day to put in the groundscrews and ~€1000 for the ground mounting hardware and installation labour costs.

Why not simply make your own ground mount with Unistrut. Yes, you'll need an angle grinder to cut long lengths, but it's all very simple to bolt together. Better still, they have a perfect 45 deg angle as well as ground legs

Panels could easily be attached to the unistrut frame

https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/cablemanagementfixings/unistrut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

championc wrote: »
    Why not simply make your own ground mount with Unistrut. Yes, you'll need an angle grinder to cut long lengths, but it's all very simple to bolt together. Better still, they have a perfect 45 deg angle as well as ground legs

Panels could easily be attached to the unistrut frame

https://www.electricalwholesaler.ie/products/cablemanagementfixings/unistrut

Doing similar myself with self install ground mount. Costs are astronomical really for what ground mounts are. Using 4x4 treated timber concreted with 4x2 bolted to them to form the angles. Unistrut then bolted to those to attach the panels with spring nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Deagol wrote: »
    I was given a quote for groundmount €1500 more than roof mount.

Cost was €500 for man and digger for the day to put in the groundscrews and ~€1000 for the ground mounting hardware and installation labour costs.

The groundscrews are pretty important for these in fairness...there will be a lot of lift when you've got a bunch of panels mounted together. Without groundscrews you could easily have an aerial electrical hazard soaring around your neighbourhood like those trampoline videos that were going around ._.

We're looking at this at the moment too, trying to figure out the most cost effective way to ground mount. That price for the digger and ground mount wasn't bad relative to what I've been quoted so far at least. We have a slope to deal with though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah, The ground screws look like a clever bit of kit.

Its all speed and time. If doing it yourself, you can dig the postholes, make the concrete/or pour a concrete slab,

Then wait a week or so for it to cure before bolting anything to it.

Ground screws, rock up, screw them in and your good to go.

Wont be perfect in every case, If i tried them round the back of my house, Id be running into rock in certain places.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

...seem a reasonable choice for ground mounting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dkhylan

Hey folks,

Have a few quotes for installation that seem pretty steep for labour, since I can see prices for materials and the panels themselves are pretty cheap now.

Can folks recommend some installers in the Cork County / Munster area by DM, I'm looking for around 2.4 - 3kWp, with diverter and no battery (is it still required for over 2kWp?)

Also looking to avail of the grant.

Thanks everyone

6 wrote: »

Yeah I was told by a different supplier that the frame is costing about €1500. And those quotes exclude the cost of concrete base and prep for cabling between panels and inverter.

Makes sense that ground mounted is more expensive as the quotes I have been getting are significantly higher than what others have reported here for roof-mounted.

• Advertisement

If only you could get these here

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah, The ground screws look like a clever bit of kit.

Its all speed and time. If doing it yourself, you can dig the postholes, make the concrete/or pour a concrete slab,

Then wait a week or so for it to cure before bolting anything to it.

Ground screws, rock up, screw them in and your good to go.

Wont be perfect in every case, If i tried them round the back of my house, Id be running into rock in certain places.

I had one supplier tell me that concrete base is not sturdy enough, and ground screws are the only way to go. Anyone heard of someone with a ground mounted system having a problem with a concrete base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I had one supplier tell me that concrete base is not sturdy enough
    Only useful for 88's
    Flak_Towers_worldwartwo.filminspector.com_17.jpg

I had one supplier tell me that concrete base is not sturdy enough, and ground screws are the only way to go. Anyone heard of someone with a ground mounted system having a problem with a concrete base?

I've got mine done with the renusol CS+ plastic 'buckets' on the ground. Survived 130kmh gust storm a few weeks ago is their toughest test so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

I've got mine done with the renusol CS+ plastic 'buckets' on the ground. Survived 130kmh gust storm a few weeks ago is their toughest test so far :)

I assume you need 1 per panel. The slope looks a bit shallow, I was hoping to optimise for winter sun.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Depends on how big/deep your concrete base/postholes are

6 inch slab of concrete isn't going anywhere. Getting it poured is the issue, getting access, getting it dug, getting the ready-mix in. The ground screws skip all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,836 ✭✭✭✭unkel

championc wrote: »
    If only you could get these here

Deadly!

€300 for 6 of those blocks (for 5 panels), including the clamps. You'd have the panels installed DIY in minutes :cool:

Not sure what weight they are though, might be a two man job to lift them into place. You'd also want a flat surface, can't just dump them into a field

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭maw

how does this compare??

Battery System (Alpha)

3.25kp of modules kitted to a 3kW Inverter

14 x Bisol Premium 325w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a Slate roof

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switch Gear

Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7kWh storage capacity

Costing

€10000(inclusive of VAT)

+€500(Eddie Hot Water Diverter)

€3000 (SEAI Grant)

€7500 Final cost after grant incentive

maw wrote: »
    how does this compare??

Battery System (Alpha)

3.25kp of modules kitted to a 3kW Inverter

14 x Bisol Premium 325w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a Slate roof

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switch Gear

Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7kWh storage capacity

Costing

€10000(inclusive of VAT)

+€500(Eddie Hot Water Diverter)

€3000 (SEAI Grant)

€7500 Final cost after grant incentive

That doesn't make sense - why is there two different inverters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭maw

That doesn't make sense - why is there two different inverters?

no idea, this is as received on quote today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement