Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Should we not up date this thread to 2021 Quotes? keep it fresh and so on

I think the quotes are ok but the thread is rambling a bit. This started when the Grant structure changed from the old structure so all the quotes here on this thread are still comparable.

To me a logical new thread would be if the grant structure changes again when a FIT is introduced?

If we leave till then all quotes on the original relate to the original grant, this thread covers the next grant structure and a new thread would cover a revised grant structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

We never had a 2019 thread either lol. And still get the occasional post in the 2018 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CryoSat

Long time lurker in this thread and I’m finally in a position to get a system installed.

Based on the size of my roof I’ll be looking at a 4.2Kw system, probably without a battery. I’m based in Wicklow.

I was hoping that people who have been happy with their installers could PM me with their details as a starting point for getting quotes. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

CryoSat wrote: »
    Long time lurker in this thread and I’m finally in a position to get a system installed.

Based on the size of my roof I’ll be looking at a 4.2Kw system, probably without a battery.

I was hoping that people who have been happy with their installers could PM me with their details as a starting point for getting quotes. Thanks in advance.

Where abouts in the country are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CryoSat

graememk wrote: »
    Where abouts in the country are you based?

Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭carrickbawn

Am very interested in installing Solar pv but would like to go with some company local to west Cork. After care service is very important to me.
    Would be very grateful for any recommendations.
    TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi All

I looked at getting an install done last year however all of the quotes I received were far too margin heavy. I'm based in carlow.

I ended up buying and setting up a 1.2kwh system myself in an off grid configuration.

It essentially runs a few appliances in my shed and charges my tool batteries etc. I also have storage via 4x halfords lead acid batteries.

I'm now looking again at getting a grid tied installation and am looking for quotes. If anyone can recommend a good installer that is price competitive please pm me.

The other option is that I again buy the kit myself wholesale and fit everything myself and just get an electrician would do the electrics part and who is SEAI linked etc.. Please also recommend same if anyone has a name

thanks

J

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

There is no necessity to have a grid-tied installation "signed off" by an SEAI registered sparks. If you go down that road (looking to get the grant), you'll pay the grant price at least for that.

Any sparks can be nominated on the NC6 Form, which is the only thing that you need to get to go grid-tied.

I would strongly suggest that you crack on with a full DIY install, and get a sparks to connect the inverter into a 40A RCBO on your board.

I would also strongly advise AGAINST using Lead-Acid's for storage. You cannot discharge them lower than about 50% and charging rate tails off massively after 80%. You could be generating 2kW excess but the charging rate could drop off at that stage to 500w. LiFePO4's will allow discharge of 90% and can charge at 100% available charge right up the about 95% capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

Hi All

...The other option is that I again buy the kit myself wholesale and fit everything myself and just get an electrician would do the electrics part and who is SEAI linked etc.. Please also recommend same if anyone has a name

thanks

J

Hi
    wondering have you look at direct from China? (Alibaba)

B9K9 wrote: »
    Hi
    wondering have you look at direct from China? (Alibaba)

See my previous posts re 10kw of LiFePO4 batteries for €1,400 customs cleared and delivered to your door. Buy a HEYO or DALY BMS there too.

You cannot buy inverters as anything being connected to the Irish Grid must have specific Irish certification.

Panels here are now cheap enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi All

~Yes panels are cheap now - major costs are a roofer to fit rails etc
    and the cost of the inverter and batteries if going that route.

Would probably avoid battery as I am essentially at home working most days so would use a lot of power.

Ideally I'd get the grant but as was said - the installers essentially use that as additional margin. Will do some more investigating and see.

As far as buying from China - not sure yet.

J

These are the batteries which myself and two other people I know of got

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001309850800.html - €1466 for 10kW

Apart from having such a strong casing, the battery terminals are sturdy M8 bolts, with absolutely no chance of wringing threads

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tdavid

Should we not up date this thread to 2021 Quotes? keep it fresh and so on[/QUOTE

This is a recent quote below, I compared with 3 different providers, this seemed best based on cost and ability to have temporary off grid power from battery. I have a heat pump and annual consumption of just under 10000Kwh, this systems I am told will give me half that yield. Is this a)realistic or a sales pitch b) a reasonable quote for this system. Appreciate any help as I want to install in next 2 months.

System Rating
    6.0kWp
    PV Panels
    16 x 375w Trina
    Inverter
    Sonnen eco.9.53 Hybrid 5.0kWh
    Monitoring*
    Production data from Sonnen
    Total Module Area
    29.3 m2
    Typical Generation
    5724 kWh/year
    Estimated Savings*
    1030Total price excl. of VAT
    €12,092.00
    VAT Amount @13.5%
    €1,632.00
    Total price incl. of VAT
    €13,725.00
    Grant rebate*
    €3,000.00
    Net after grant
    €10,725.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

tdavid wrote: »
    Should we not up date this thread to 2021 Quotes? keep it fresh and so on[/QUOTE

This is a recent quote below, I compared with 3 different providers, this seemed best based on cost and ability to have temporary off grid power from battery. I have a heat pump and annual consumption of just under 10000Kwh, this systems I am told will give me half that yield. Is this a)realistic or a sales pitch b) a reasonable quote for this system. Appreciate any help as I want to install in next 2 months.

System Rating
    6.0kWp
    PV Panels
    16 x 375w Trina
    Inverter
    Monitoring*
    Total Module Area
    29.3 m2
    Typical Generation
    5724 kWh/year
    Estimated Savings*
    €12,092.00
    VAT Amount @13.5%
    €1,632.00
    Total price incl. of VAT
    €13,725.00
    Grant rebate*
    €3,000.00
    Net after grant
    €10,725.00

That's a way overpriced quote is the first thing I'll say.

EDIT: Just realised that Sonnen system is a battery and inverter package. Still wildy overpriced system IMO. I got a 4.1kwh system including 5kw battery for 8K gross (no grant). The extra panels to go to 6kw shouldn't be much more than ano than another 1k IMHO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

System Rating
    6.0kWp
    PV Panels
    16 x 375w Trina
    Inverter
    Monitoring*
    Total Module Area
    29.3 m2
    Typical Generation
    5724 kWh/year
    Estimated Savings*
    €12,092.00
    VAT Amount @13.5%
    €1,632.00
    Total price incl. of VAT
    €13,725.00
    Grant rebate*
    €3,000.00
    Net after grant
    €10,725.00

Off the wall quote, I got 18 Canadian Solar 410w PERC Poly panels, a BPE 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter, a Pylontech 2.4 kw battery and all the cabling/controls/safety switches etc for a gross cost of €8,620, less grant of €3,000, net cost of €5,620

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Even the "savings" is high,

Costed purely on generation at 18c/ kwh

Even with a big battery, you'll not be able to use all of that. And you'll lose 15 odd % cycling power through the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Even with a big battery, you'll not be able to use all of that. And you'll lose 15 odd % cycling power through the battery.

What you mean by that?

What you mean by that?

I like pictures, so attached my stats for today ( power was off for about an hour this morning, hence the gap & started the day with the battery being about 43% full)

Blue - import from grid
    light blue - solar used directly
    Yellow - solar exported
    Light orange - battery discharge
    Dark orange - battery charge.

My Setup : 7.2kwh (split NE/SW, on a low slope roof),
    Separate 10kwh battery+inverter)

I can measure how much I put in and take out of the battery - there is conversion losses going both ways.

I'm recording about a 20% loss on a monthly scale comparing how much I put into the battery vs how much I've taken out.

So today Ive generated 13.7kwh of solar.

4.5 was used directly - this is costed at day rate.
    8.9 was put into the battery - Id' cost this at day rate - 20%

0.3 went to the grid - get nothing for this at the minute.

So with 13.7kwh generated, my battery will last me until the night rate kicks in.

If i generated 30 kwh, my battery would be full, and I would have exported far more. - get nothing for that, changing in july but will need a smart meter.

Going back to your quote, to save 1030 a year, every kwh would need to be used directly (they have it as 18c! I pay 15c for day rate!),
    nothing to battery(day rate -20%),
    hot water divert (6c/kwh),
    car(night rate, 7.4c/kwh),
    export (currently 0)

*there is an edge case if you have an old meter, they turn backwards, but ESB usually change them when solar gets installed

I like pictures, so attached my stats for today ( power was off for about an hour this morning, hence the gap & started the day with the battery being about 43% full)

Blue - import from grid
    light blue - solar used directly
    Yellow - solar exported
    Light orange - battery discharge
    Dark orange - battery charge.

My Setup : 7.2kwh (split NE/SW, on a low slope roof),
    Separate 10kwh battery+inverter)

I can measure how much I put in and take out of the battery - there is conversion losses going both ways.

I'm recording about a 20% loss on a monthly scale comparing how much I put into the battery vs how much I've taken out.

So today Ive generated 13.7kwh of solar.

4.5 was used directly - this is costed at day rate.
    8.9 was put into the battery - Id' cost this at day rate - 20%

0.3 went to the grid - get nothing for this at the minute.

So with 13.7kwh generated, my battery will last me until the night rate kicks in.

If i generated 30 kwh, my battery would be full, and I would have exported far more. - get nothing for that, changing in july but will need a smart meter.

Going back to your quote, to save 1030 a year, every kwh would need to be used directly (they have it as 18c! I pay 15c for day rate!),
    nothing to battery(day rate -20%),
    hot water divert (6c/kwh),
    car(night rate, 7.4c/kwh),
    export (currently 0)

*there is an edge case if you have an old meter, they turn backwards, but ESB usually change them when solar gets installed

Wow, great set up..

But as the sunlight improves evenings longer starting now hopefully you will fully charge your batteries most days no?

Your electric bill must be whittled down massively compared to pre solar you have a compassion?

If FIT does pay 9c a kWh you reckon you could be down to almost zero electric bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

10Kw battery? Expensive?

• Advertisement

Wow, great set up..

But as the sunlight improves evenings longer starting now hopefully you will fully charge your batteries most days no?

Your electric bill must be whittled down massively compared to pre solar you have a compassion?

If FIT does pay 9c a kWh you reckon you could be down to almost zero electric bill?

With a FIT incoming, its very hard to make batteries pay. A FIT is a grid sized battery. I build my battery as a hobby, not to save money. It will pay for itself eventually... maybe.

There is 2 proposed FIT, A premium one, It needs BER ratings, theres a Cap on it, only for installs after the 30th June

The second one, the standard one, Open to all, but around the wholesale electricty rate of about 5-6c

My solar only went live in mid Jan,

It wont reduce my bills to 0, The car can suck up nearly 100kwh a week - on night rate though.

what I am able to do is run on 95% night rate.

6 wrote: »
    10Kw battery? Expensive?

Built it myself with cells from aliexpress. about 1400, + inverter + bits and bobs to get it installed. (i did totally luck out and get 220ah cells!)

A lot of trial and error to get it configured properly, its not like the pylontechs where you just plug it in and forget about it.

@6 Search AliExpress for "CALB 200A LiFePO4" and only purchase from OYE or PWOD. These two sellers sell with full customs clearance.

I like pictures, so attached my stats for today

Do all hybrid inverters give this level of detail or have you extra kit?

Do all hybrid inverters give this level of detail or have you extra kit?

That is extra kit, Using a raspberry pi running emoncms and a EmonTX that does the measuring. - From OpenEnergyMonitor - ive got about a 10 second resolution

But most inverters etc can give decent detail but thats around the 5 minute mark each update, which would be close enough.

Im pulling some data directly from the storage inverter over a serial connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

System Rating
    6.0kWp
    PV Panels
    16 x 375w Trina
    Inverter
    Monitoring*
    Total Module Area
    29.3 m2
    Typical Generation
    5724 kWh/year
    Estimated Savings*
    €12,092.00
    VAT Amount @13.5%
    €1,632.00
    Total price incl. of VAT
    €13,725.00
    Grant rebate*
    €3,000.00
    Net after grant
    €10,725.00

A bit steep I got a 4.8kw wit a 7kw battery after grant for €8k and that was 2 years ago. PM ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Any chance the price of batteries have come down recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yea they have but the upcoming FiT means they are not going to pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

garo wrote: »
    Yea they have but the upcoming FiT means they are not going to pay off.

Is it really coming?
    I have a 2kWh or something so was thinking of topping up with more but last time I checked it was crazy money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

sebdavis wrote: »
    Is it really coming?

Yes, proposed to go live on 1 Jul 2021
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058149744

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement