Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

championc wrote: »
    You should start doing your sums now. How much is your diesel costing per annum to run, and over the next 3 years ? And what will your diesel be worth in 3 years, bearing in mind that I think it's safe to say that diesels will become less desirable as ever year passes.

You'll have way less running costs and potentially less depreciation too (well bepending on it's age)

And lots of other things that are rarely even brought in as arguments. Insurance is cheaper, the convenience of never having to go to a petrol station to fill up and even the discount on the tolls. I work from home mostly (even before COVID) and I don't commute through a toll. Yet I still save about €300 per year because of EV discounts (M50 is 75% discount off peak)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

One has half a cow. The other home raised chicken and foraged fruit and the third has 2 lambs and some turkey I bought in tesco yesterday at 75% off.
    You did ask:)

I did :D

To be honest, when you can buy 10kW of LiFePO4's for €1250, customs and charges paid, delivered to your door, it will certainly pay for itself. I certainly cannot see a payback for commercial prebuilt packs (like the Pylontechs).

I think that will entirely depend on how energy prices move over the next few years. But I'm also not entirely worried about it from a purely financial viewpoint - I'm doing it for the sake of my grandkids futures also - even if I don't make it pay me back it will certainly make a very small contribution to throwing less CO2 into the atmosphere.

You should start doing your sums now. How much is your diesel costing per annum to run, and over the next 3 years ? And what will your diesel be worth in 3 years, bearing in mind that I think it's safe to say that diesels will become less desirable as ever year passes.

You'll have way less running costs and potentially less depreciation too (well bepending on it's age)

Car is on finance so until that is paid off I can't afford to change it. Once that's done an EV is almost a certainty - I currently like the look of the Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭championc

Deagol wrote: »
    Car is on finance so until that is paid off I can't afford to change it. Once that's done an EV is almost a certainty - I currently like the look of the Niro.

I cannot recommend the e-Niro highly enough.

I also agree about the CO². I would also say too that it's prudent at times to lock bills at lower levels if the opportunity presents itself.

In a similar way, I have a deal with Eir for €46 which includes all landline and mobile calls with internet. So that's another bill which is locked in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

citizen6 wrote: »
    Any concerns on the following spec - are Bisol, Alpha and Santon good suppliers?

Panels: 16 x Bisol 390w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)
    Alpha 5 kWp Inverter with 5.7kWh battery
    Santon Fire Safety Switch & Santon Switch Gear

Thanks.

Have similar setup since end of September and been happy so far. one issue with box discharging completely was fixed in a day or two via remote administration. Installation company has been decent. They came back after a few weeks or so after install to look into issues with shaded roof, they originally fitted dual panel optimisers but that didn't work so they removed them. Plan is to reevaulate wheather to try single panel optimisers or leave as is.

But even with the shading I'm still pretty happy as using this https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html as a guide for November i still hit 76% of the estimate, oct was 97%. Most of the other installer companies totally rejected using that roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

One has half a cow. The other home raised chicken and foraged fruit and the third has 2 lambs and some turkey I bought in tesco yesterday at 75% off.
    You did ask:)

You are not a vegetarian by any chance are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You are not a vegetarian by any chance are you?

Funny you ask :D..... I...............am not:)

Ok tigger finally pulled.

€4745 incl vat before grant. Installation hopefully next week.

Solar PV installation with a peak output of 3.2 KWH.
    10 Pcs of Amerisolar 320 Watt Black Solar PV panels with a efficiency of 18.30%. total peak output of 3.2 KW. With an estimated output of 2,278 KW hrs per year.
    Solis Min 300 -4G …3 KW single string inverter, with an efficiency of 98%
    20 amp AC isolating switch.
    30 Amp DC Lockable isolating switch.
    Solar PV cables and connectors.
    K2 Roof mounting system for a flat Tiled roof.
    PROJOY rapid shut down switch. ( Fire man’s switch)
    KWH meter for recording total electricity generated.
    Solis on line wi-fi based monitoring unit.
    Solar I Boost Plus
    Supplied and installed with cabling & 20 AMP neon switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ok tigger finally pulled.

€4745 incl vat before grant. Installation hopefully next week.

Solar PV installation with a peak output of 3.2 KWH.
    10 Pcs of Amerisolar 320 Watt Black Solar PV panels with a efficiency of 18.30%. total peak output of 3.2 KW. With an estimated output of 2,278 KW hrs per year.
    Solis Min 300 -4G …3 KW single string inverter, with an efficiency of 98%
    20 amp AC isolating switch.
    30 Amp DC Lockable isolating switch.
    Solar PV cables and connectors.
    K2 Roof mounting system for a flat Tiled roof.
    PROJOY rapid shut down switch. ( Fire man’s switch)
    KWH meter for recording total electricity generated.
    Solis on line wi-fi based monitoring unit.
    Solar I Boost Plus
    Supplied and installed with cabling & 20 AMP neon switch.

Not bad but you should go for the 5kw inverter, less than €400 in the difference.

• Advertisement

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Not bad but you should go for the 5kw inverter, less than €400 in the difference.

Would love to but stretched to the max as it is.

Anyone seen or priced one of these in Ireland https://smartflower.com

I found irish installer but dont mention price ! UK website has them at just under 24000!!!

idc wrote: »
    Anyone seen or priced one of these in Ireland https://smartflower.com

I found irish installer but dont mention price ! UK website has them at just under 24000!!!

Taking a simple concept with no moving parts (solar panels) and adding lots of points of failure is in my book - daft. But i guess there will be plenty people with more money than sense to buy them.. it's only 2.5kw for that price! And it weighs almost a tonne!!

I do like the idea of tracking the sun but it would be cheaper almost just to have a few extra panels facing 3 directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

That's the ipod of solar panels. Stupid money.

I do wonder would a motor work on panels on a roof, Facing east in the morning, South in the afternoon, and west in the evening. Would maximize using the sun all day.

I'm sure someone has worked it out that it makes no sense.

Just noticed uk site list about 15 or so installs. With quite a few houses as well as commercial premises. 2 houses have installed 2 of these!! Think of how many standard panels you could install for the same price!

idc wrote: »
    Just noticed uk site list about 15 or so installs. With quite a few houses as well as commercial premises. 2 houses have installed 2 of these!! Think of how many standard panels you could install for the same price!

But if you installed normal panels you couldn't one up anyone could you??

afatbollix wrote: »
    I do wonder would a motor work on panels on a roof, Facing east in the morning, South in the afternoon, and west in the evening. Would maximize using the sun all day.

I was considering the possibility of rigging up an actuator to increase the tilt angle of my panels. If the bottom edge was hinged to a mounting rail rather than rigidly bolted to it, the top mounting rail could be clamped to an actuator to maximize the panels angle to the sun's angle. The gains would maybe pay for a DIY setup, but a commercial solution would surely never pay for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just building a house and I specified a 3kW system but I decided after reading here that I would up that to as much as possible since I will be having scaffolding etc up already.

Just got back a quote from my builder and for a 6 kW system he is quoting me €6,920 (inc VAT) for 18 panels. Apologies I don't have the full spec yet but am chasing that up. The iboost hot water diverter is another €357 (inc VAT)

Does this sound ok? once I get the specs back I will post them.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Just building a house and I specified a 3kW system but I decided after reading here that I would up that to as much as possible since I will be having scaffolding etc up already.

Just got back a quote from my builder and for a 6 kW system he is quoting me €6,920 (inc VAT) for 18 panels. Apologies I don't have the full spec yet but am chasing that up. The iboost hot water diverter is another €357 (inc VAT)

Need the rest of the spec but it's not great.

I presume that's after grant?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Need the rest of the spec but it's not great.

I presume that's after grant?

This is a new build so I don't get a grant I think...or is there one for new builds as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

This is a new build so I don't get a grant I think...or is there one for new builds as well

No grant for new builds,

I assume that thats without a battery.

Its not a terrible quote but if its going up when the roof is going on, It should be a bit lower. as the mounts can be put in the right place there and then, not retro fitted.

Plus VAT you'd be chatting about 3500 for the materials, say 1500 for labour, which is 5k+ Vat which is 5675 inc vat at 13.5%.

Latest electric bill just landed. €180 for the 2 month period. Down from €320 same period last year.

Savings at €380 for the first 5 months with solar compared to last year's bills.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good stuff, I'm going to measure the kW produced and consumed as my savings, year on year usage could be different with different rates also.
    Pandemic and so little traveling will impact me due to EV non-usage

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Good stuff, I'm going to measure the kW produced and consumed as my savings, year on year usage could be different with different rates also.
    Pandemic and so little traveling will impact me due to EV non-usage

I work in the NHS so my EV usage has only gone down a little.

18 Panels would be about 2.5k, Inverter 500, then maybe 1.5k for cable, mounting and switches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Freewheel wrote: »
    No told it by two separate installers based on measurement of roof. Three bed semi house and shape of roof does limit space. Nothing to do with planning. Second installer was suggesting 7 * 400kw panels but with no battery he was over €5k net of grant

That's too much.
    If 7 panels is all you can fit then go for the highest wattage you can get. any reputable supplier should be able to sort that

graememk wrote: »
    No grant for new builds,

I assume that thats without a battery.

Its not a terrible quote but if its going up when the roof is going on, It should be a bit lower. as the mounts can be put in the right place there and then, not retro fitted.

Plus VAT you'd be chatting about 3500 for the materials, say 1500 for labour, which is 5k+ Vat which is 5675 inc vat at 13.5%.

Just got back the spec of the system they will be using a Solis 4G inverter and JASolar Mono PV panels. The quote includes all fitting and commissioning etc. I suppose I am caught in a way as its being been done through my main builder so he has his premium on top of the quote and will be coordinating them with all the trades etc.

Next question is do I need 6kW? from what I hear on this forum may as well put up as much as you can and is that still the case. I dont have an EV but am planning to get one over the next year or so. I have no other energy supply for my house other that elect. Underfloor heating with ASHP etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you're thinking of EV then apart from running the power cable now make sure you run at least two Cat 6 cables from consumer unit also, you will need these to link up your charge point and PV system.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

Hi all, great thread.

I'm looking into getting solar PV, ~6kW split approx 70/30% on South/West facing roof based on available space. Annual consumption 10,000 kWh, 35% night rate, heat pump system. I'm going relatively large on the install to maximise the output in winter when we need it most. Planning to move to an EV in coming months which I will charge on night rate during week and from the solar at the weekends.

Based on the advice on this thread I won't be considering a hot water diverter or battery. I believe we'll have a FIT sooner than later so will hopefully be making a few Euros in the summers.

I have a number of quotes and would appreciate your thoughts:

Quote1: 5kW, 14x360W Longi + Solis 5k inverter: 7377 Eur incl VAT
    Quote2: 6kW, 370W Trinasolar + Solax inverter: 8430 incl VAT
    Quote3: 4.2kW, 14x320W Amerisolar + Trannergy inverter: 7000 incl VAT

I will be asking all to add in panels to bring up to 6kW.

House 5 yrs old, no grant applicable.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

minnow wrote: »
    Hi all, great thread.

I'm looking into getting solar PV, ~6kW split approx 70/30% on South/West facing roof based on available space. Annual consumption 10,000 kWh, 35% night rate, heat pump system. I'm going relatively large on the install to maximise the output in winter when we need it most. Planning to move to an EV in coming months which I will charge on night rate during week and from the solar at the weekends.

Based on the advice on this thread I won't be considering a hot water diverter or battery. I believe we'll have a FIT sooner than later so will hopefully be making a few Euros in the summers.

I have a number of quotes and would appreciate your thoughts:

Quote1: 5kW, 14x360W Longi + Solis 5k inverter: 7377 Eur incl VAT
    Quote2: 6kW, 370W Trinasolar + Solax inverter: 8430 incl VAT
    Quote3: 4.2kW, 14x320W Amerisolar + Trannergy inverter: 7000 incl VAT

I will be asking all to add in panels to bring up to 6kW.

House 5 yrs old, no grant applicable.

Thanks in advance

For comparison:

18x 340 Qcells (~6.1kw) cost price: ~€2800
    Mounting hardware: ~€500
    Solax 4.2kw inverter: €550

Total: €3850. plus cabling etc add another 2-300e.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement