Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

JPA wrote: »
    Are people from New Ross being sent to Waterford to get tested? Then the numbers come back and all positives are attributed to Waterford before being adjusted a day later?

More than likely and the same for those living in South Kilkenny too I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Odd because up till 7/1 it was pretty much on track with numbers matching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Aquos76 wrote: »
    More than likely and the same for those living in South Kilkenny too I’d imagine.

And would people from the west of the county end up being tested across the cork border and the positives being included in the cork stats...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Seemed to be no checkpoint in Tramore today, was one there this morning for a short while but none there for the rest of the day. Strange given its a Saturday and they've had a big presence there all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Idiots being turned away from Wicklow AGAIN today by the dozens. Do these people actually wake up on a saturday morning and think "It would be a great day for a drive to Wicklow and a good stroll around", then gather their family and head off?? I wonder do any of these people have relatives/friends/workmates etc who could potentially be killed by them contracting and passing on the virus? Are there a significant sub population in this country who dont watch the news, dont read anything about Covid19 on their phones or social media accounts, and this same ignorance permeates their whole families.

Who the hell ARE these absolute ******** I genuinely despair at the human race at times like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Flow Motion

Seemed to be no checkpoint in Tramore today, was one there this morning for a short while but none there for the rest of the day. Strange given its a Saturday and they've had a big presence there all week.

Pretty odd and a bit lax alright considering the message from the Gardai yesterday in the media was to "stay at home". Given that Tramore has one of the highest incidence rates in Ireland you would think they would be monitoring it a bit better. That and the default mode of most Waterford people of a fine day and sunshine is to head for Tramore regardless of the season. Which is healthy except during a pandemic of course! So if anyone is wondering why the case numbers remain in the thousands take a look around at the steady movement of people in this lockdown. As the OP mentioned in the previous post some are unwilling to change their habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Idiots being turned away from Wicklow AGAIN today by the dozens. Do these people actually wake up on a saturday morning and think "It would be a great day for a drive to Wicklow and a good stroll around", then gather their family and head off?? I wonder do any of these people have relatives/friends/workmates etc who could potentially be killed by them contracting and passing on the virus? Are there a significant sub population in this country who dont watch the news, dont read anything about Covid19 on their phones or social media accounts, and this same ignorance permeates their whole families.

Who the hell ARE these absolute *******? I genuinely despair at the human race at times like this.

Oh god. What is wrong with people? If EVERYONE dont take this serious, it wont get better over the next few weeks

Who the hell ARE these absolute retards? I genuinely despair at the human race at times like this.

I’m with you all the way. I wonder this all the time.....your final description of them though will get edited and you will get a warning from a mod......despite how apt a description it is for them...degenerate morons

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    I’m with you all the way. I wonder this all the time.....your final description of them though will get edited and you will get a warning from a mod......despite how apt a description it is for them...degenerate morons

Thats fine im sticking to my description because thats exactly what they are.

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

You didn’t get a warning, I just PM’ed you out of courtesy and told you why I had to edit your post, I told you that we had had two reports of your post for the use of the word “retard” and asked that you refrain from using it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Hijpo

You didn’t get a warning, I just PM’ed you out of courtesy and told you why I had to edit your post, I told you that we had had two reports of your post for the use of the word “retard” and asked that you refrain from using it again.

People with downs syndrome and other special needs are not the ones breaking the lockdown restrictions. So describing the people that are breaking restrictions as someone with special needs or downs syndrome using such a remark is in itself a bit... eh... not sure what term you would use.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Deaths are really rising at an alarming rate since Christmas. Every day I think I'm reading the number wrong. 60 deaths yesterday?!

I know it's likely that the majority of these are deaths in nursing homes and residential settings like assisted living so, it's more difficult to abide by social distancing rules and, obviously, you're dealing with people who are already quite vulnerable due to their medical issues but, this just means that this virus is spreading even more rapidly through these homes. Is it likely that the new strain is in our nursing homes and residential homes already?

Deaths are really rising at an alarming rate since Christmas. Every day I think I'm reading the number wrong. 60 deaths yesterday?!

I know it's likely that the majority of these are deaths in nursing homes and residential settings like assisted living so, it's more difficult to abide by social distancing rules and, obviously, you're dealing with people who are already quite vulnerable due to their medical issues but, this just means that this virus is spreading even more rapidly through these homes. Is it likely that the new strain is in our nursing homes and residential homes already?

Without a doubt it is. From what i have read, the new strains are not more dangerous as such and there is no evidence the vaccines dont work on them (more research needed for that,though), but its much more infectious and transmissable. So a lot more people will get infected and sadly die. Its levelling off at 3000 or so cases a day which is way too high to be opening schools or retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

some nursing homes running out of staff and are requesting volunteers, very disturbing stuff

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd like if they were giving us proper stats on how many deaths there actually on any given day rather than '60 deaths today, all of which occured in January'
    say '60 deaths today, all of which occured in January, 10 of which occurred in 24 hours up to 5pm today' or something. While it could actually have been 20 in that 24 hours and half of them were not yet recorded it is a lot less 'frightening' to hear well 10 of them were in the last day rather than 60.
    Not sure if they do keep up to date stats that is accessible to all on numbers of actual deaths per day of covid+ people? :confused:

We're in a very bad situation at the moment anyway and while there are still so many people moving round, meeting up, going to work when they don't need to etc then it's going to be a long time getting back on track.

Need more enforcement, repercussions for companies bringing people in when they don't need to, more support for people who do get sick (i.e if I worked in a factory, I would much rather be wrecked from covering someone elses work for two weeks than then them coming in while sick and making a number of the rest of us sick and it spreading like wildfire).

Some people who are sick are going to work because they feel they have no other option and thats an awful sh*te situation for them to be in - everyone, everywhere should be able to call in sick (especially if it is covid or covid symptoms) with the confidence their job is safe and they will get full pay. Again far better for any company to have one person out sick and pay them than to have multiple people out sick at the same time / one after another or all turning up to work and then only be half as productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

When deaths are heard in numbers they tend to go over people's heads after a while like a lot of the data being released. When the deaths are people we know it hits closer to home.

I know privacy is important but when it was published this week that a well known local man had died from COVID it probably hit home a lot more. I don't know anybody who has died from it (that i know of) but hearing how any family can be affected might just make some people reconsider the number of contacts they make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

We're in a very bad situation at the moment anyway and while there are still so many people moving round, meeting up, going to work when they don't need to etc then it's going to be a long time getting back on track.

Need more enforcement, repercussions for companies bringing people in when they don't need to, more support for people who do get sick (i.e if I worked in a factory, I would much rather be wrecked from covering someone elses work for two weeks than then them coming in while sick and making a number of the rest of us sick and it spreading like wildfire).

Ive already said it but the factories are the main cause of spread in Waterford now and unless the HSE step in and do something the cases will be in the hundreds for the foreseeable,there is thousands of people working 24/7 in factories and while they all have the procedures in place like hand washing face masks etc it's still spreading like wildfire it has to be the UK strain thats spreading and i don't think people on here or people in general across Waterford know how bad it is in these places and nothing is being done about it.

HSE report for yesterday no change
    101 in hospital and 6 in ICU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

129. About 3000 nationally

I'd like if they were giving us proper stats on how many deaths there actually on any given day rather than '60 deaths today, all of which occured in January'
    say '60 deaths today, all of which occured in January, 10 of which occurred in 24 hours up to 5pm today' or something. While it could actually have been 20 in that 24 hours and half of them were not yet recorded it is a lot less 'frightening' to hear well 10 of them were in the last day rather than 60.
    Not sure if they do keep up to date stats that is accessible to all on numbers of actual deaths per day of covid+ people? :confused:

Some people who are sick are going to work because they feel they have no other option and thats an awful sh*te situation for them to be in - everyone, everywhere should be able to call in sick (especially if it is covid or covid symptoms) with the confidence their job is safe and they will get full pay. Again far better for any company to have one person out sick and pay them than to have multiple people out sick at the same time / one after another or all turning up to work and then only be half as productive.

I don't suppose anyone knows why they changed the way they "announce" deaths? Is it to do with a backlog? Are they getting through a certain amount of the backlog per day and that's why it's announced "all of these deaths occurred in January? I think it would be more beneficial to be more transparent with the systems they're using. I don't want to know names and addresses but, I think these "bulk" announcements are just going over people's heads.

• Advertisement

129 cases today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

RubyK wrote: »
    I see Mulligans Pharmacy in Barronstrand Street, are going antigen & antibody testing - has/is anyone going to have it done? I hadn't heard of this being available in Waterford, so just curious really.
    91wx763 wrote: »
    There seems to be differnces of opinion between the pharmacists and the medical profession on the bona fides of those tests.

Don't waste your money on these tests. They are nowhere near accurate enough to be used on the public. Neither the HSE or NPHET have approved any of these tests for use. They cost pennies to make and at 49 euro a go, it's the pharmacy that's making money.

Antigen tests are usually used on people with symptoms.
    They are only likely to produce a positive result when someone is quite infectious and has symptoms, but on their website they say they don't perform the test on:
    -Children under the age of 10;
    -Those with current symptoms of COVID-19;
    -Those with symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days;
    -Those who have had close contact with a confirmed case in the past 14 days

If you can't trust the results, they are not worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Ive already said it but the factories are the main cause of spread in Waterford now and unless the HSE step in and do something the cases will be in the hundreds for the foreseeable,there is thousands of people working 24/7 in factories and while they all have the procedures in place like hand washing face masks etc it's still spreading like wildfire it has to be the UK strain thats spreading and i don't think people on here or people in general across Waterford know how bad it is in these places and nothing is being done about it.

Which factories have confirmed cases? Please post the factory names so we know to be extra cautious if we know someone from one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rustyman101

reni10 wrote: »
    Which factories have confirmed cases? Please post the factory names so we know to be extra cautious if we know someone from one of them!
    safest thing to do is assume they all do !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

They have already been mentioned on this thread,and Darren Skelton tweeted about one on twitter last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

What difference would that make if you're not having contact with people? Just stay in your ****ing house and twitch the curtains if you're so interested in other people's business.

Act like you are infectious and treat everyone else like they are infectious. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

What difference would that make if you're not having contact with people? Just stay in your ****ing house and twitch the curtains if you're so interested in other people's business.
    If you go out shopping for essential food and you see someone in the supermarket that you know works in a particular factory you could make sure to stay well clear!
    That ok with you from behind your curtains?

This thread is starting to get very tedious now, can we cut back on the insults please and also, next person that uses the term “retards” gets a ban, I don’t care whether you think you are right to use it or not, many people find it an insulting word.

• Advertisement

This thread is starting to get very tedious now, can we cut back on the insults please and also, next person that uses the term “retards” gets a ban, I don’t care whether you think you are right to use it or not, many people find it an insulting word.

Is there any acceptable alternative to the ‘r’ word.....w@nkers, ‘see you next Tuesdays’...?

Advertisement