Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more nimbyism in Chapelizod ***Read Mod Note in OP***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

anewme wrote: »
    Youd think you are the only one who grew up in a Council Estate.

Anyone with 50k cash to spend on a car/ watch is not just a junkie.

I never said they were.

Can people be honest here.

Those who work hard and build up a deposit, sweat for a mortgage approval and all that, then next door get a key with nothing to do really.

This has actually happened to me. Not a hypothetical situation.

AND IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME. Nor do I resent my neighbours.

There you go, is that saying it plainly enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Big question for me is.... who are allocated these prime located properties?

Taxpayers are paying for it after all and we should know. But I suppose GDPR has muzzled everything now. Kind of timely don't you think?

AulWan wrote: »
    This has actually happened to me. Not a hypothetical situation.

AND IT DOES NOT BOTHER ME. Nor do I resent my neighbours.

There you go, is that saying it plainly enough for you?

OK, you are alone in thinking that I reckon. Bet you are happy to pay for your neighbours while you have to pay for everything yourself. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I never said they were.

Yes you did. You said the big guys dont live in the council estates, only the poor junkies.

• Advertisement

OK, you are alone in thinking that I reckon. Bet you are happy to pay for your neighbours while you have to pay for everything yourself. Happy out.

Nope, I think there have been other posters on the thread who have posted they don't resent their neighbours either. So not alone there.

And I'm not paying for my neighbours. They pay rent to the local authority. I have no idea how much, and that is none of my business.

So yeah, I guess I am happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you live in a council house, and have a 100k car the gardai would notice.
    The top level drug dealers would live in a place like rathmines,in a big house or a 3 bed apartment
    then theres 3 or 4 levels, of local dealers to sell the drug on the streets.
    the council build housing for old people, and people on disability allowance.
    Not just single mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

Taxpayers are paying for it after all and we should know. But I suppose GDPR has muzzled everything now. Kind of timely don't you think?

So ironic.
    Work hard, pay taxes. Those very taxes then used to place some antisocial troublemaker next door and make life miserable.

One thing is for sure, these council houses are kept away from the real rich guys, its the working class who get them. Why not place someone in here:D
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballsbridge/penthouse-21-merrion-village-ballsbridge-dublin-1544144/

Nope, I think there have been other posters on the thread who have posted they don't resent their neighbours either. So not alone there.

And I'm not paying for my neighbours. They pay rent to the local authority. I have no idea how much, and that is none of my business.

So yeah, I guess I am happy out.

33million euro or so in rent arrears in Dublin City Council rents so far. We are ARE paying for the largesse of others living in the City, whilst others who are paying for this are commuting from afar. Not fair, and DCC should get its act together.

Yes you did. You said the big guys dont live in the council estates, only the poor junkies.

What I said was, I've often heard it said that the junkies and dealers live in council estates, while the big boys, the money behind the drug trade, lives in much more salubrious areas.

I never said anyone who has 50k cash to spend and wears an expensive watch is a junkie. I don't know where you got that idea.

I don't actually know any major drug barons personally, or what kind of watches they wear, maybe you do? Your neighbours, possibly?

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    IF you live in a council house, and have a 100k car the gardai would notice.
    The top level drug dealers would live in a place like rathmines,in a big house or a 3 bed apartment
    then theres 3 or 4 levels, of local dealers to sell the drug on the streets.
    the council build housing for old people, and people on disability allowance.
    Not just single mothers.

Nope, they drive out of Corpo / council areas every day. The people making hundreds of thousands. The ones you read about.

Mercs/Audi's/BMW's. Saw a Porsche once as well.

My Dad lived in a Council area with a criminal element and I was followed once (because I drive a similar car)

[double post .

I don't think you understand that those of us who scrimped and scraped to buy a house under our own steam do not relish the idea of others living next door who didn't have to do that at all, just have a few kids and you're grand, here's the key.

It is normal to resent an immediate occupation of a house with no deposit, no mortgage etc. compared to those who have to pay through the nose.

Perfectly normal IMV.

Those of us that scrimped & saved?
    I have worked all my life, I saved & bought a house, I have since sold it & am now looking to buy another.

I have more to do with my life than be bitter towards people who will never afford to buy their own home. I think most people would be the same.

33million euro or so in rent arrears in Dublin City Council rents so far. We are ARE paying for the largesse of others living in the City, whilst others who are paying for this are commuting from afar. Not fair, and DCC should get its act together.

Fine. I'll knock on my neighbour's door in the morning and tell them they owe DCC €33 million.

Will that make you feel better? :rolleyes:

GDPR?
    Do you suggest that in the past, you would have been given details of people living in social housing!
    Don't be ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

Fine. I'll knock on my neighbour's door in the morning and tell them they owe DCC €33 million.

Will that make you feel better? :rolleyes:

AulWan, Im just curious. Are you taking the subject of this thread personally?.

Probably half the thread posts are from you.:)

What I said was, I've often heard it said that the junkies and dealers live in council estates, while the big boys, the money behind the drug trade, lives in much more salubrious areas.

I never said anyone who has 50k cash to spend and wears an expensive watch is a junkie. I don't know where you got that idea.

I don't actually know any major drug barons personally, or what kind of watches they wear, maybe you do? Your neighbours, possibly?

Very naive for someone who says they grew up in a Council Estate.

The gangland culture is rife in these areas. Its telephone number money, not junkie stuff.

I don't live there any more, but I work there.

There is some amount of bollixology going on here withe regard to certain posters.

Most people want a quiet life and if honest, want to live with like minded people who have also saved hard to get their gaff and respect their neighbours.

But there will always be the naysayers who would not live beside ASB heads but will never admit it, but will pretend they do. For the craic like.

AulWan, Im just curious. Are you taking the subject of this thread personally?.

Probably half the thread posts are from you.:)

Why would I? I don't live in chapelizod, and I don't live in fear of social housing tenants, so I'm confused by your question.

I was unaware that so much open and utter hatred of social housing tenants existed, until I started reading boards a few months ago.

Quite honestly, I find the levels of hatred and resentment more then a little disturbing.

Just get on with your own life, and let others get on with theirs.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Those of us that scrimped & saved?
    I have worked all my life, I saved & bought a house, I have since sold it & am now looking to buy another.

I have more to do with my life than be bitter towards people who will never afford to buy their own home. I think most people would be the same.

Where are you moving from and why? None of my business I know that, but what would your considerations be in buying a hard worked for house? Be honest now!

• Advertisement

Most people want a quiet life and if honest, want to live with like minded people who have also saved hard to get their gaff and respect their neighbours.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Quite a lot in this so not reading through all the previous pages. My apologies if I'm repeating anything.

This is absolutely not NIMBYISM.

There are several reasons that locals are objecting to this.

1. This site had been lined up as a new scouts den for many years. There were a lot of fundraisers for it over the years and now those plans are obviously over. So the fundraising effectively went for nothing.

2. Chapelizod is a small town, but even in this small town there are 2 nursing homes, an old folks commune, an estate built exclusively of social housing which I understand was built for single mothers. There are only 4 small estates in the town where there are family friendly style housing. On top of this there are 3 new apartment blocks, mostly used by young renters. Adding in another construction for social housing (non-families too I understand) hardly helps to make a cohesive community in a town already very top heavy with homogeneous communes (be it the elderly, single mothers, long term unemployed).

3. Transport links. People who have an issue with this proposal being opposed by locals would do well to take a look at the Chapelizod Chap Lips facebook page and see the queues at the bus stops every morning. Absolutely no buses stop between 7.45 and 8.30 in the morning. The only one that's feasible is a specifically scheduled one that leaves Chapelizod at 8.20. There's no DART, no LUAS, and on top of this shambles with the bus service the already sporadic service is going to get even more sparse. With the new Bus Connects plan most of the public transport links from West of the town will bypass the town entirely. Adding more people into this already shambolic situation will only make things worse.

4. Parking. Parking in the town is an absolute disaster. Pretty similar to number 3. The plan for this build will only have parking for about half the amount of dwellings.......so where will the rest of them park?!

Chapelizod has never had an issue in having social housing built, but there is a limit. If there wasn't such an issue with parking and transport this build would pretty much be a non-issue. The number of isolated living quarters in the mix is also another factor, but secondary to the other ones.

Fixed that for you.

Works well if you pay for it yourself. Fixed!

Very naive for someone who says they grew up in a Council Estate.

The gangland culture is rife in these areas. Its telephone number money, not junkie stuff.

I don't live there any more, but I work there.

What, I'm niave now because I don't share your view and look down on where I come from, like you clearly do?

Seems like you did okay for yourself, growing up in a council estate.

Works well if you pay for it yourself. Fixed!
    Weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bubblypop wrote: »
    Not necessarily.
    Completely depends on what type of crimes.

Waste of time trying to debate if that’s your response

Weak.

Strong.

Strong.

Sorry Spanish Eyes but your last two posts make absolutely no sense, AT all.... you're just babbling now.

Go to bed. I presume you have work tomorrow.

Things may be clearer to you in the morning. :)

Sorry Spanish Eyes but your last two posts make absolutely no sense, AT all.... you're just babbling now.

Go to bed. I presume you have work tomorrow.

Things may be clearer to you in the morning. :)

At least I work for a living, bought my own house and never got a penny from the State, and wouldn't want to either.

What's your own situation if you don't mind me asking.

• Advertisement

What, I'm niave now because I don't share your view and look down on where I come from, like you clearly do?

Seems like you did okay for yourself, growing up in a council estate.

You are naive if you think only the poor junkies live in council estates with the rest of the drug culture controlled by someone living somewhere more expensive.

I did ok. I'm happy with where I come from and where I live now.

Advertisement