Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more nimbyism in Chapelizod ***Read Mod Note in OP***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Tenant Purchase was a great scheme that helped people who would not qualify for mortgages buy their home.

Some feel it controversial as it used up Council Houses, but the upside is that it created a real community atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

AulWan wrote: »
    Empty_Space, my parents both worked every day of their lives until they retired.

Unfortunately, as people of their generation did, neither of them were in school beyond the age of 14, yet somehow they managed to raise a family of five while working at manual and unskilled jobs.

Unfortunately, however, banks do not consider people like them for mortgages.

If you think that makes them deserving of your spiteful, contemptible remarks, then it says more about you then it does them.

Do they own house now?.
    My parents left school at same age/era and paid own way with only one working. But let's not get into individuals.

The point is there are social housing lifers who DONT work most of time and just keep the kids coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Now we reach the real story. In there for 40 years, so much for temporary accommodation while they get over troubles and can pay way like everyone else.

They did pay their way. Planning and accomodation objection laws need to be dramatically overhauled for the sake of society. No one's investment is guaranteed and no ones house value is society problem. society doesn't owe you guaranteed wealth like society doesn't owe anyone a free house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Do they own house now?.
    My parents left school at same age/era and paid own way with only one working. But let's not get into individuals.

The point is there are social housing lifers who DONT work most of time and just keep the kids coming.

For the record, my parents paid their own way, and I will respectfully ask that you stop with the barely veiled insults towards them. No, they do not own the house and it will revert to the council when they pass away.

You have no control over how others live their lives. My advice to you, is stop obsessing over how other people live their lives, or how many kids they have, and concentrate on your own. You'll be much happier, that way.

Empty_Space, my parents both worked every day of their lives until they retired.

Unfortunately, as people of their generation did, neither of them were in school beyond the age of 14, yet somehow they managed to raise a family of five while working hard at manual and unskilled jobs. .

Plenty didn’t even stay in school that long and didn’t need the state to house them.

I’m building my house on land my grandfather bought and he barely finished primary school.

• Advertisement

For the record, my parents paid their own way, and I will respectfully ask that you stop with the barely veiled insults. No, they do not own the house and it will revert to the council when they pass away.

You have no control over how others live their lives. My advice to you, is stop obsessing over how other people live their lives, and concentrate on your own. You'll be much happier, that way.

Well if they are still in home for 5 surely they should be moved on to smaller home so a family can be housed?. If they don't own it.

If they paid their way , why the council house?. Sorry if you feel disrespectful, genuinely not trying to be.

Plenty didn’t even stay in school that long and didn’t need the state to house them.

You're 30 something and still live with your parents, without contributing a penny towards rent, and your mammy cooks your dinner and does your washing.

When you move out and actually buy a home - not just build one on the land your parent's give you, paid for out of the money you "saved" from sponging off them well into your thirties - then I might consider anything you have to say.

Until then, you're on my ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    How would you feel if 20% of an asset you own was lost? It would be useful if there was an article or report so people could see why they are objecting.

Coolock residents are rightly concerned with the plans for development there. Huge build to let apartments on the site of a former employer in the area.

I'd feel we need to take the decision out of the hands out of people concerned about their notional property wealth over people getting homes

Well if they are still in home for 5 surely they should be moved on to smaller home so a family can be housed?. If they don't own it.

If they paid their way , why the council house?. Sorry if you feel disrespectful, genuinely not trying to be.

They paid for everything including their means assessed rent, through money they earned from their hard work. So yes, they paid their own way.

They have requested to downsize, but they were told "no smaller units available". I have mentioned this several times already.

And with that, I'm out for this evening.

Nox001, you're 30 something and still live with your parents, without contributing a penny towards rent, and your mammy cooks your dinner and does your washing.

When you move out and actually buy a home - not just build one on the land your parent's give you, paid for out of the money you "saved" from sponging off them well into your thirties - then I might consider anything you have to say.

Until then, you're on my ignore list.

The very thing that's causing the housing issue and genuine need for social housing for "some" applicants, is the same reason some are forced to stay at home longer.

Would you prefer he had 8 kids and applied for social housing.

We need to fix housing problem, not insult people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m building my house on land my grandfather bought and he barely finished primary school.

Well, for Aul Wan’s family it was different. They worked hard but still needed assistance. Happens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mode note

Ok lads.
    This is getting border line abusive towards people’s families, peoples generations of families and thinly veiled attempts to mock what previous generations did and may have been normal back then.

Not everybody gets free land to build a house. Not everybody gets into a social house for life and not every hard worker out there gets a mortgage from the banks because of their restrictive lending criteria.

So on that note, keep the posts civil.

Consider this post an on thread warning for all.

I will not warm any individual posters going forward. Straight to a ban. I’ll deal
    with the consequences of that if it occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Well, for Aul Wan’s family it was different. They worked hard but still needed assistance. Happens.
    As he said, when they pass on, the house returns to the Council to house another family in need of assistance. One less house that needs to be built or purchased.

We need to fix housing problem, not insult people.

I actually laughed out loud at this, given the disgusting way tenants of social housing have been referred to on this thread, and indeed, right across this forum.

Maybe start the not insulting people, there.

So back 80 odd years ago, your grandfather worked hard, before the state even supplied much housing, then your parents lived in your grandfather land, now you will build your house in your grandfathers land.

So get off your high horse nox, you don't have anything because of what you did. You were handed yours also, maybe not by the state but by others.

Sorry mods, just read the note after posting

bubblypop wrote: »
    So back 80 odd years ago, your grandfather worked hard, before the state even supplied much housing, then your parents lived in your grandfather land, now you will build your house in your grandfathers land.

So get off your high horse nox, you don't have anything because of what you did. You were handed yours also, maybe not by the state but by others.

Well I also have worked very hard both on and off farm and will pay a lot of money to build my house etc. So I will have a lot because of what I did and nothing handed to me by tax payers.

Its laughable trying to compare anything I have talked about to tax payer funded lifestyles (not directed at anyone here btw).

Well I also have worked very hard both on and off farm. I have already bought additional farm land myself, will pay a lot of money to build my house etc. So I will have a lot because of what I did and nothing handed to me by tax payers.

Its laughable trying to compare anything I have talked about to tax payer funded lifestyles.

And lots of people that grew up in social housing, where their parents lived, worked hard, went to 3rd level & worked.
    But they didn't get handed anything, unlike you.
    So, should those people look down in you, because they worked hard than you did to buy their own (300,000 Euro) house?
    And you just got handed stuff without doing anything for it?

And lots of people that grew up in social housing, where their parents lived, worked hard, went to 3rd level & worked.
    But they didn't get handed anything, unlike you.
    So, should those people look down in you, because they worked hard than you did to buy their own (300,000 Euro) house?
    And you just got handed stuff without doing anything for it?

People you have described above are not what is being discussed. Obviously they deserve massive praise for bettering themselves.

People you have described above are not what is being discussed. Obviously they deserve massive praise for bettering themselves.

And maybe more so then you, who had everything handed to you.

Just remember that the family with a couple of kids in social housing or living in a private estate renting by hap, have children that they want to go on & make a good life for themselves.
    So everyone wants better for their children. No-one wants their kids discriminated against by people who think they are better then them just because they have more money.

Just think a little bit nox.

And maybe more so then you, who had everything handed to you.

Just remember that the family with a couple of kids in social housing or living in a private estate renting by hap, have children that they want to go on & make a good life for themselves.
    So everyone wants better for their children. No-one wants their kids discriminated against by people who think they are better then them just because they have more money.

Just think a little bit nox.

They shouldn’t be having the children if they can’t afford to house themselves. How on earth do they think they can afford children if they can’t rent or buy their own home? Unless they are having the kids to help to get social housing of course....which is par for the course nowadays unfortunately.

• Advertisement

The no handout from mammy so I deserve one from the government makes me laugh. Its a fair point.

But seriously though, you are right. If a couple working full time cant afford rent or a house it highlights there is something wrong with the Country. Something needs to be done.

But this is not the kind of person that people take issue with. Its the person who doesnt work and has no intention to or those who dont respect their neighbors. They give others a bad name and cause the kind of discrimination that shouldnt ever go towards kids. Something needs to be done about the welfare system.

They shouldn’t be having the children if they can’t afford to house themselves. How on earth do they think they can afford children if they can’t rent or buy their own home? Unless they are having the kids to help to get social housing of course....which is par for the course nowadays unfortunately.

Well maybe a family, mother father, 2 or 3 kids, ( is that acceptable to you?)

Tipping along nicely, but then dad gets cancer....... Can't work anymore..... Has a few years were he gets treatment, might be OK, cancer comes back..... More treatment. ..........
    Mam tries to work as much as she can, but dad is sick, she has kids & a sick husband to care for......

Maybe dad died......

How do we deal with these people nox?
    Are there the lazy families that dont care about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

My parents have been paying rent for 40 years and still are even now in their 80s.

They've more than paid for the cost of the structure of the house plus any maintenance the council has been done to it over the years, which is not as much as you might think.

When we moved in it had no heating bar an open fire in the living room and another in the kitchen. Wooden frame single glazed windows and exterior doors, concrete floors. They've poured a lot of money into making the house a home over the years, all at their own expense. They paid for the central heating, double glazing, new internal doors, skirtings, better-than-basic kitchen and bathroom. All upgrades they paid for out of their own pocket.

They are obliged as tenants to call the council if there is an issue with electrics or plumbing - I believe this is the same with private renters? And up until recently they did pay for the annual boiler servicing but the Council wrote saying that they were taking that over.

I believe the council houses nowadays are of a much higher standard, and that is as it should be. Get over your begrudgery, its just plain nasty. And it will give you wrinkles.

I didn't think tenants were allowed to make those sort of alterations to council houses?

I know in DCC if the tenant gets work done themselves and there is issues with it, it's not the council's problem and they won't be fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If they can’t afford to house themselves they shouldn’t be having kids. Absolutely no way should the tax payer be funding luxury 5 bedroom houses for social housing tenants.

Oh DEAR! This old chestnut again. Many who fall on hard times already have children ( goats have kids) . Many who fall on hard times are blameless.

A house is a house is a house.

More to real life than money.

If you treat folk like some kind of inferior being?

NB that is what taxes are for; to house needy folk.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    And 3 reception room with kitchen diner, double garage and stables.

Perfect for a large family. Especially if they have fallen blamelessly on hard times. Wonderful.

The no handout from mammy so I deserve one from the government makes me laugh. Its a fair point.

But seriously though, you are right. If a couple working full time cant afford rent or a house it highlights there is something wrong with the Country. Something needs to be done.

But this is not the kind of person that people take issue with. Its the person who doesnt work and has no intention to or those who dont respect their neighbors. They give others a bad name and cause the kind of discrimination that shouldnt ever go towards kids. Something needs to be done about the welfare system.

That is the fault of folk like posters here who paint everyone black. And drag good folk down.

Such as? There will always be a few who abuse a system in some way. as posters here are doing by this discrimination to those who are blameless

What can be done is you stopping this discrimination and wholesale accusing. Many like myself live in social housing, care about where we live etc and yet are consigned if you had your way to a ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

If you want to live in a nice house, mabe work for it like the rest of us and don't be a leech or a sponger.

dabestman1 wrote: »
    If you want to live in a nice house, mabe work for it like the rest of us and don't be a leech or a sponger.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

wow and i thought we didn't have the Tory party in Ireland. Well done sir! Lets tell the homeless its their own fault while we are at it /S

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mod note.

This kind of crap, beseless post are not welcome i this forum.
    Who are you talkig to? Replying to?
    Context to your post?

You cannot swan into a thread and throw a derogatory comment down with no context.

Please read my mod note from Post No. 253.
    Poist in the tsame tone again = auto ban.

Advertisement