Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more nimbyism in Chapelizod ***Read Mod Note in OP***

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Some areas are more desirable then others. Maybe its because they are close to the city, or closer to the coast. Or maybe its because the houses in said area are generally nicer, who knows..it's called a market.

Why should the gorernment and tax payer pay to house people in expensive areas...they should get the cheapest of the cheap. It's simple maths, the cheaper they go the more houses they can afford.

AulOne is so bitter and jealous they can't do maths

Again, please explain what I am supposedly have to be so bitter and jealous about?!? I have a home, in an area I am happy in, and have no intention of moving from.

Its not me who is bitter and jealous of anything here - that would be those who make comments such as "popping out a few kids and handed a house for free". Just plain nasty people, who can't see beyond their own wants.

Still waiting for you to back up your earlier comment that you claimed I made about the government buying houses in Ballsbridge. Whenever you're ready.

Oh, but you can't, can you? Because I never said it, and you were just mouthing off, like most of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

AulWan wrote: »
    Again, please explain what I am supposedly have to be so bitter and jealous about?!? I have a home, in an area I am happy in, and have no intention of moving from.

Its not me who is bitter and jealous of anything here - that would be those who make comments such as "popping out a few kids and handed a house for free". Just plain nasty people, who can't see beyond their own wants.

Still waiting for you to back up your earlier comment that you claimed I made about the government buying houses in Ballsbridge. Whenever you're ready.

Oh, but you can't, can you? Because I never said it, and you were just mouthing off, like most of your posts.

Lol you can read back yourself.

Lol you can read back yourself.

Nice attempt at deflection because you can't back it up, and you know it.

It really seems like it does need to be explained, because integration does not mean exclusion, like you seem to want.

Are you seriously suggesting that I should be feeling sorry for someone who can afford a luxury home? For real?

And yes, I see no reason not to have social housing in those areas, too. No reason at all.

Qouted, but I do think you're great .

Qouted, but I do think you're great .
    Sorry but AulOne lost all credibility when they decided the government should buy up property in Ballsbridge for social housing.

No understanding of money and doesn't live in real world.

Quoted what, exactly? I made no mention of Ballsbridge in that post, in the post or in any post, as per your accusation, above.

You're literally full of it, Empty_Space, and now you're making **** up and claiming I said it.

Pathetic, really, if that's the kind of discussion you need to resort too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

keep it civil please folks. By all means disagree/debate but leave the personal insults out.

Quoted what, exactly? I made no mention of Ballsbridge in that post, in the post or in any post, as per your accusation, above.

You're literally full of it, Empty_Space, and now you're making **** up and claiming I said it.

Pathetic, really, if that's the kind of discussion you need to resort too.

Wow relax, keep it friendly.

I hold no anamosity towards you and wouldnt make up something. I'm actually enjoying the conversation. Just read the whole post back a few pages and you'll see, you may have forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Folks the title of this thread is nimbyism which is false and misleading.

This becomes apparent once you take a moment to understand the objections.

Below are some very good posts by others that show that this is not a case of nimbyism but a case of reasonable objections for many different reasons.

Varta wrote: »
    As I understand it the residents were promised a mix of social and affordable. Now it's 100% social. Lots of people renting apartments there would like to buy affordable. Doesn't seem fair to only build social.
    Varta wrote: »
    Social mix works. Chapelizod is probably the most socially mixed area in Dublin and a great example of how social mixing works. 100% social building will likely upset that balance. It's not often you get residents in an area advocating for a social/affordable mix. I think they are right.
    I have worked my ass off since i was 18 and cant afford property in Chapelizod

People have never worked in their life and filled a form out online when they were 18 will end up living there

How is this acceptable?
    Cyrus wrote: »
    We need affordable housing for working people on lower incomes , people's issues generally is houses for people who don't work
    imonboard wrote: »
    This situation is unique, it is the first site that is being built that has been rammed down the throat of the locals. As far as im aware there was a new law introduced by the last government which allows them to do what they want with a site with no consultation. This is a very serious thing to be giving the government.
    This case is alot more important than people here seem to realise. I will see if I can find out what this legislation is.
    The bottom line here is that any development should be mixed. That is what the people want here, so the thread title should be changed. It is not about nimbyism, its about the legislation that someone needs to challenge. I hope they win and this legislation is gotten rid of.
    woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Which legislation?
    Its mentioned in some of the newspaper articles last year, part 8 process. All I know is it allows the council to railroad a project without any consultation. This should be unlawful. This to me is the main issue, I think it should be a national issue and the Irish people should not stand for this.
    Yes, there was also mention of emergency planning route for this site in the articles. I am not sure if this was used here, but it is fair to say that this was the thinking in the dcc voters head when they voted this through.
    Although people are trying to make this black and white, I think there is alot of facets.
    The council railroading the project.
    The council starting the project whilst it is going to court.
    The issues with the site.
    The idea that there is nothing sacred anymore, a little village losing its identity. The phoenix park walls being disturbed and views from the park.

The silence from the OPW is unusual to say the least.
    The 5 storey blocks blocking the church and the park.
    Last but not least the social mix

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

On that note I would ask posters to limit their future responses to discussion directly relating to the Chapelizod development.

Thank you Colking.

Advertisement