Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Heard admits to beating up Johnny Depp

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Wibbs wrote: »

He stupidly(back to not sharpest tool in the shed) took it to court, in a current climate of #metoo and the like when even hints about men are believed far more than hints about women. He could have just let it lie, let his PR crowd release "exclusive leaks" from Paradis and Ryder and ride it out with a no comment and a sad shake of the head at Heard's accusations. Throw in a few "I truly wish her well" with a sad resolve. But ego and lawyers sniffing money got in the way.

For me this is enough evidence of the narcissist living in his head. He is most likely surrounded by parasites like agents, solicitors and other riff raff who are more than happy to play along with his whims. When he wanted his day in court they were more than happy to tell him what a great idea it was... whereas all they were really doing was counting the dollars in fees they are earning. I can only imagine the shight that gathers around the likes of him. Furthermore if he is on the sauce and the powders he cannot be all that much fun to be around.

i dont suppose you have a source for that? it's just that it sounds like complete bull**** to me.

It's not a scientific theory, i don't think there can possibly be any study of 99.9% of all men in the world.

Just because it hasn't been peer reviewed and published in academic journals doesn't necessarily mean it's "complete bullsh*t" though. It's a finger in the air, an opinion, subjective. Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I don't think it's anything about being the ideal victim.

In this dysfunctional relationship they were both as bad as each other and if Depp should be in jail for assault so should Heard.

I meant she wasn’t the ideal victim as in she didn’t fit the profile because she wasn’t more pure than the driven snow for one thing, and then she was the stereotype of the Hollywood dolly - talentless, brainless, and beautiful (and hooking up with Johnny Depp!). That’s why it’s difficult for women to have any sympathy for her - you can’t have sympathy for someone you’re envious of.

If Heard had been pucking Depp about the place and beaten him in the same way as the evidence showed he had done to her, then yeah, I’d agree he was as bad as her and they should both be doing time. But it wasn’t even close, and sure, there’s an argument to say she was psychologically abusive, but that’s not the same thing, and certainly doesn’t have the same outcomes, and still doesn’t excuse Depp for what he did as though the consequences of their behaviour was the same and they should be treated the same by way of punishment.

One could argue that she martyred herself because she has issues of her own, but that’s not a criminal offence, and certainly doesn’t diminish any sympathy I would have for her in those circumstances. None of that gives Depp the right to do what he did, and none of it excuses his behaviour.

I’d also suggest that it’s silly to draw any comparisons from celebrities circumstances and try and map them to ordinary people’s circumstances because celebrities operate in a completely different environment to the general public - your average Joe or Jane doesn’t have the adulation and public support that either Depp or Heard have - they’re at a distance and so they’re easier to speak of in abstract terms, precisely because we don’t know them. Closer to home it’s a different story where the victim will often lie to protect their abuser for many different reasons, often the biggest one being that while they’re a wife beater, they also provide security - it’s a better the devil you know situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's not a scientific theory, i don't think there can possibly be any study of 99.9% of all men in the world.

Just because it hasn't been peer reviewed and published in academic journals doesn't necessarily mean it's "complete bullsh*t" though. It's a finger in the air, an opinion, subjective. Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

so it is a nonsense number you just pulled from somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

For a start she couldn't divorce him, because she wasn't married to him. She did give him the flick alright, most obviously because he went off with and left her for a woman half his age. He was on the gargle and the rest for donkey's years and before they met and she was still with him and even after they split was keen to back him up on the non wife abuser stuff. As were his other exes like Winona Ryder. Even with the #metoo movement in full swing with lots of skeletons being dragged from closets especially from the 90's and many of those doing the dragging knew Depp, but nada.

Do I think Depp is an alco with drug and ego problems? 100% yes. Do I think he's not the sharpest tool in the shed? Most certainly. Do I think he was an abuser of women before Heard? I honestly doubt it. Do I think he abused Heard? Very likely. Do I think she abused him? Very likely. Hell, she directly admitted it. IMHO there was a pair of them in it, who for various reasons* enabled really stupid and ugly behaviour in each other. That would my albeit personal take anyway.

He stupidly(back to not sharpest tool in the shed) took it to court, in a current climate of #metoo and the like when even hints about men are believed far more than hints about women. He could have just let it lie, let his PR crowd release "exclusive leaks" from Paradis and Ryder and ride it out with a no comment and a sad shake of the head at Heard's accusations. Throw in a few "I truly wish her well" with a sad resolve. But ego and lawyers sniffing money got in the way.

*Him: midlife crisis. Alco and druggie. Has what should have been a fling with young starlet on set. Thought oh god, I'm old, better get in a last hurrah(Jagger: Hold my beer). He pursues for more and finds the reality doesn't match up. When he's sober enough to see reality.

Her: Has what should have been a fling with elder statesman star on set. Thinks OK, it is what it is. He pursues, she thinks maybe and maybe it's good for my career. The reality of a drunken sot who's not the sharpest really doesn't match up to the fantasy, but the cash and attention takes some of the pain away.

Both: comes out in frustration and aggression towards each other from both making a dumb fling into a dumber relationship. Add in vast sums of money that keeps the yes people yessing throughout. Until they stop and try to milk it another way.

Result: He's in the wilderness, but might come back with some rehabilitation(and he got paid in full for the part he was "asked to leave"). She's got one franchise part, but I can see her being otherwise toxic to casting agents. Dumb all over the place from start to finish.

Yes, not the sharpest tack. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he does a Mickey Rourke number on us. He would likely do some boxing and come back to acting with a more shattered intellect, a weirder moonface, and wearing tights and man bras to the red carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Yes, not the sharpest tack. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he does a Mickey Rourke number on us. He would likely do some boxing and come back to acting with a more shattered intellect, a weirder moonface, and wearing tights and man bras to the red carpet.

He's a weed of a yoke. He wouldn't beat the skin off a custard.

Off to rehab for Johnny.......and then slowly make a comeback............that's if he doesn't fall off the cliff in the meantime.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He's a weed of a yoke. He wouldn't beat the skin off a custard.

Off to rehab for Johnny.......and then slowly make a comeback............that's if he doesn't fall off the cliff in the meantime.

In the meantime, he fancies himself a Keith Richard surrogate, but he has way many more needles to go to reach that status. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I don't think he'll succumb to rehab, it goes against his style and he probably thinks his idol Hunter S would never have gone to rehab.
    If anything I think he'll go the opposite way and his boozing and drug use will amplify after this.
    I also think rehab might come across as an admission of guilt and he wouldn't want to admit defeat.
    Regardless of what happened between himself and Amber Heard, I hope we don't lose another talented actor to an addiction induced death.
    I hope the pair of them move on and find peace because they don't strike me as happy people despite all their money and fame.
    You can't put a price on dignity folks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    In the meantime, he fancies himself a Keith Richard surrogate, but he has way many more needles to go to reach that status. Lol.
    Well that's the thing K, Keith was much more about the legend than the truth. Save for a foray down heroin road in the 70's he has always paced himself. He says this himself. He got to a certain point of elegantly wasted but still reasoning and rarely overdid it. Merry, rather than off his head. Then he threw in a bit of an act on top to push the legend. Strong constitution to be sure, bit of a pisshead alright, drop down off his face drunkard for 50 years not nearly so much. His bandmate Brian Jones dying in a pool in the 60's likely made him think eh... no. That and seeing others die around him.

And note he never did anything like Depp. Kept things pretty private and above board for the most part. Then again you could get away with a lot more in his day* and behind all the facade thick he isn't. Depp in interview always came across to me as a nice kinda chap, but simple. Not a deep intellect going on, so burning braincells when you don't have the extra capacity to waste probably not a good plan.

*consider his bandmate Jagger and people like Bowie and Jimmy Page who were having sex with underage girls during the 70's. 30 odd year old men with girls literally half their age... And it didn't come back to bite them. Though my take on that is certain "stars" can get away with more. Rock and Roll types in particular. Film stars no. For one the rock and roll types don't come across as hypocrites. They don't promote themselves as upholders of "conservative family values" and virtue signalling(well they didn't in the past) so not a shock. Hollywood types on the other hand...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Porklife wrote: »
    I don't think he'll succumb to rehab, it goes against his style and he probably thinks his idol Hunter S would never have gone to rehab.
    Yeah he blew his brains out. Great writer, thundering gobsh1te and fantasist at times with it. But Depp seemed to idolise him. Hopefully not too much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Yeah he blew his brains out. Great writer, thundering gobsh1te and fantasist at times with it. But Depp seemed to idolise him. Hopefully not too much.

Shocking way to go and I read he phoned his wife as he pulled the trigger. Great writer though as you say. I think people sometimes romanticize addiction or at least alcoholism, I've been guilty of it myself at times. I can picture Depp swaning around his mansion in a Hefner style dressing gown quaffing red wine waxing lyrical about the beetnik generation. He probably feels sophisticated but in actuality is an absolute mess! Can you imagine being a fly on the wall for a few of their fights? I doubt either one would come out covered in glory.
    Its funny as well how some people just ignite each other the wrong way. I reckon that happened with them which is why comparing their past relationships is a bit moot.
    It's like a crime of passion, somebody flips and murders someone in a fit of rage. Just because they haven't done it before doesn't mean they didn't do it this time...if that makes sense.. it did in my head:p

Well that's the thing K, Keith was much more about the legend than the truth. Save for a foray down heroin road in the 70's he has always paced himself. He says this himself. He got to a certain point of elegantly wasted but still reasoning and rarely overdid it. Merry, rather than off his head. Then he threw in a bit of an act on top to push the legend. Strong constitution to be sure, bit of a pisshead alright, drop down off his face drunkard for 50 years not nearly so much. His bandmate Brian Jones dying in a pool in the 60's likely made him think eh... no. That and seeing others die around him.

And note he never did anything like Depp. Kept things pretty private and above board for the most part. Then again you could get away with a lot more in his day* and behind all the facade thick he isn't. Depp in interview always came across to me as a nice kinda chap, but simple. Not a deep intellect going on, so burning braincells when you don't have the extra capacity to waste probably not a good plan.

*consider his bandmate Jagger and people like Bowie and Jimmy Page who were having sex with underage girls during the 70's. 30 odd year old men with girls literally half their age... And it didn't come back to bite them. Though my take on that is certain "stars" can get away with more. Rock and Roll types in particular. Film stars no. For one the rock and roll types don't come across as hypocrites. They don't promote themselves as upholders of "conservative family values" and virtue signalling(well they didn't in the past) so not a shock. Hollywood types on the other hand...

Yes, I think that what differentiates the rock players from your actors is that acting a hero or anti-hero is a temporary posture for an actor, but it tends to stick to their off stage persona in uncouth ways, for some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

iptba wrote: »

It might not be successful though. She’s pretty shameless to be touting herself like that but there’s no indication it will be a success.

A self confessed domestic abuser is now giving talks because the man she was abusing decided to hit back. So 2020.

It seems she has a history of abusing too but he didn't.

Advertisement