Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Heard admits to beating up Johnny Depp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

.anon. wrote: »
    Bullshit. She shat on his bed. Whatever she does in the future, she'll always be Amber Turd. Nothing to do with gender. She's not talented enough to get away with such transgressions.

Gender and Race are everything when it comes to Hollywood. Lorena Bobbit chopped off her husband's dick, blended it and she was applauded on TV shows.

Juicy Smollet put a noose around his own neck, poured bleach on himself, called the cops and here's Hollywood's response:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/jussie-smollett-b-boy-blues-ledisi-brandee-evans-1234602342/

She's a beautiful woman. She'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Gender and Race are everything when it comes to Hollywood. Lorena Bobbit chopped off her husband's dick, blended it and she was applauded on TV shows.

Juicy Smollet put a noose around his own neck, poured bleach on himself, called the cops and here's Hollywood's response:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/jussie-smollett-b-boy-blues-ledisi-brandee-evans-1234602342/

She's a beautiful woman. She'll be grand.

Ignoring the whole "white men are the biggest victims in the whole world, actually" nonsense... I'm sure she'll be grand (as will Depp), but the idea that her transgressions will never be brought up is just silly. Unlike the likes of Sean Connery, Chris Brown, Johnny Depp, etc, she isn't talented enough for domestic abuse not to overshadow her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Johnny Depp lost his libel trial. But so did Amber Heard
    Analysis: Any lingering illusions of Hollywood as a place of glamour and sophistication are gone
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/johnny-depp-lost-his-libel-trial-but-so-did-amber-heard-1.4398016

I had thought by the title that this might have been a more balanced piece than some coverage but actually it gives the impression that Amber may have been unfairly maligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The crux of it was whether The Sun believed what they printed was true or not. It was not about whether Heard was telling the truth or if Depp beat her.

Libel needs to be shown to be deliberate. The only way Depp would have won his case is if his legal team could demonstrably prove that the Sun knew their story and information was false, that they didn't believe it was true but printed anyway.

They failed to verify this and, given how difficult that is to prove, then it wasn't enough for the case to succeed. The whole protection of free speech applies and so rags like The Sun can posit Depp as a wife beater, which to me he isn't, and do so under the protection of free speech laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

valoren wrote: »
    The crux of it was whether The Sun believed what they printed was true or not. It was not about whether Heard was telling the truth or if Depp beat her.

Libel needs to be shown to be deliberate. The only way Depp would have won his case is if his legal team could demonstrably prove that the Sun knew their story and information was false, that they didn't believe it was true but printed anyway.

They failed to verify this and, given how difficult that is to prove, then it wasn't enough for the case to succeed. The whole protection of free speech applies and so rags like The Sun can posit Depp as a wife beater, which to me he isn't, and do so under the protection of free speech laws.

you are using the american view of libel law. the only defence that the paper could rely on is that the information they printed WAS true. Not whether they believed it was true, but whether it was actually true. This they did prove via the testimony at the trial.

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/03/21/394273902/on-libel-and-the-law-u-s-and-u-k-go-separate-ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Tork

Even if he appeals it and wins, the damage has been done to his reputation. Aside from it being decided that he did hit Amber Heard, the trial didn't show him up in a good light. Everybody knew he was a manky substance abuser but what came out here was off the scale. I can't see him having a Robert Downey Jnr renaissance but I'm sure he'll continue to work. Amber Heard isn't going to come out of this unscathed either, despite what the judge may have said. It won't be as overt because she was never a big star but her career will wane. She's just one of many pretty actresses who'll get roles when they're young, then find themselves being overtaken by other younger blondes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I never really warmed myself to Johnny Depp, I reckon he is the quintessential narcissist.

I would say he is surrounded by "yes" men and he clearly got some poor support in taking this further. He has exposed himself to what he really is.

He is an overpaid lush in his mid 50's who needs to address his alcohol and substance abuse, too many people are laughing at his jokes, which are not that funny really.

When Amber Heard met him she made the mistake of believing she could groom him and tidy up his piggy behaviours. Bad idea. He simply did not care about her at all. He was happy enough to be getting some nice sex with a smart up and coming actress, but after that he morphed back into the self important pig he is. Drinking € 40,000 bottles of French wine, doing so much banger it made him into a incoherent mess mumbling on an aeroplane.... all before the violence started.

Narcissists' typically get nasty when challenged, it looks obvious what went on here. She thought she could change his behaviours once they were married and she got it terribly wrong.

If anyone reading has ever dealt with someone with NPD they will recognise his behaviours exactly. Narcissists are charming, great fun to be around and seem lovely from the outside. It is only when you have to live or deal with them you realise the disgusting pigs they really are. Depp has been pulling the wool over everyones' eyes for years. To his own detriment he failed to see the real parasites hanging around him, his agents, solicitors and hangers on. They are the people that are currently profiting from his demise, of course he is " appealing", narcissists are never wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I never really warmed myself to Johnny Depp, I reckon he is the quintessential narcissist.

I would say he is surrounded by "yes" men and he clearly got some poor support in taking this further. He has exposed himself to what he really is.

He is an overpaid lush in his mid 50's who needs to address his alcohol and substance abuse, too many people are laughing at his jokes, which are not that funny really.

When Amber Heard met him she made the mistake of believing she could groom him and tidy up his piggy behaviours. Bad idea. He simply did not care about her at all. He was happy enough to be getting some nice sex with a smart up and coming actress, but after that he morphed back into the self important pig he is. Drinking € 40,000 bottles of French wine, doing so much banger it made him into a incoherent mess mumbling on an aeroplane.... all before the violence started.

Narcissists' typically get nasty when challenged, it looks obvious what went on here. She thought she could change his behaviours once they were married and she got it terribly wrong.

If anyone reading has ever dealt with someone with NPD they will recognise his behaviours exactly. Narcissists are charming, great fun to be around and seem lovely from the outside. It is only when you have to live or deal with them you realise the disgusting pigs they really are. Depp has been pulling the wool over everyones' eyes for years. To his own detriment he failed to see the real parasites hanging around him, his agents, solicitors and hangers on. They are the people that are currently profiting from his demise, of course he is " appealing", narcissists are never wrong.

I'm not excusing Depp's behaviour, not for one minute. But hold off on knighting Amber Heard. She was no Florence Nightingale hoping to fix Johnny up. Her lifestyle and habits weren't a million miles away from his.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ah the same ol' he said she said BS. Just that this pair are famous. So it's a battle of the images in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Whilst I agree with everything you've said about narcissists IAMMORAN, I think he comes across as a much nicer person than Amber Heard. I wonder if he hadn't started drinking at 11 and dabbling in drugs so young if he would in fact be a much nicer person. I think alot of his disgraceful and embarrassing behaviour stems from substance abuse but underneath it all I would like to believe hes a fundamentally decent person.
    I dont feel the same way about her. She is a violent manipulative bitch and I think that's inherently who she is.
    Such a shame either way, he was once a highly respected, stunningly beautiful, talented actor and now I have to look away when I see the paradoy he has become. Hardly surprising when your idol is Hunter S Thompson!

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not excusing Depp's behaviour, not for one minute. But hold off on knighting Amber Heard. She was no Florence Nightingale hoping to fix Johnny up. Her lifestyle and habits weren't a million miles away from his.

I doubt she is an angel and maybe she met her match.

But he is a pig, bigtme.

Tell me a husband on the planet that would get away with his behaviour? He is lucky he is not getting locked up.

I respect that posters just see the big cheers on the Graeme Norton show, the cheeky cute smile, tossing the hair quiff and dressed in Dolce & Gabana. I get the enticement.

But behind the charm and the good looks ( ahem, which are fading fast ) , there lies a wife beating animal who thinks it is ok to beat up his partner just because she would prefer it if he sobered up for 48 hours?

Time will tell, but she got dragged through the media by his PR squad also. I find it hardly enlightening that the #metoo movement were happy to sweep this one under the carpet as well. It is amazing how attractive and charming men get away with treating women like a doormat, it stinks of double standards.

It is amazing how attractive and charming men get away with treating women like a doormat, it stinks of double standards.

Nah, he's done sh1 thingst for sure but the double standards are that the guns are out for him yet Amber Heard is not facing any rap whatsoever for her behaviour towards him.

Once again I have to add that I'm not denying that Depp is a druggie ar5ehole who gave her a few slaps, I'm just saying that she pretty much did the same to him.

Nah, he's done sh1 thingst for sure but the double standards are that the guns are out for him yet Amber Heard is not facing any rap whatsoever for her behaviour towards him.

Once again I have to add that I'm not denying that Depp is a druggie ar5ehole who gave her a few slaps, I'm just saying that she pretty much did the same to him.

he is the one who brought the libel case.

he is the one who brought the libel case.

Fair point but Depp isn't being castigated for taking the libel case, he's being hounded for domestic abuse. And as far as I can see, Ms. Heard gave as good as she got.

Depp should have never taken the libel case as it just put a megaphone in front of his lifestyle and made the whole world know what a sh1tshow it is. But it does show double standards when Depp is being criticised in the media for domestic abuse (and rightly so) yet nobody in the media seems to be criticising Heard even though she also seemed handy enough at dishing out the domestic abuse also.

Fair point but Depp isn't being castigated for taking the libel case, he's being hounded for domestic abuse. And as far as I can see, Ms. Heard gave as good as she got.

If he didnt want to be castigated for it then he shouldn't have washed his dirty linen in public.

If he didnt want to be castigated for it then he shouldn't have washed his dirty linen in public.

100% agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

He wouldn't have to have washed it at all if she didn't sh1t the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Porklife wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with everything you've said about narcissists IAMMORAN, I think he comes across as a much nicer person than Amber Heard. I wonder if he hadn't started drinking at 11 and dabbling in drugs so young if he would in fact be a much nicer person. I think alot of his disgraceful and embarrassing behaviour stems from substance abuse but underneath it all I would like to believe hes a fundamentally decent person.
    I dont feel the same way about her. She is a violent manipulative bitch and I think that's inherently who she is.
    Such a shame either way, he was once a highly respected, stunningly beautiful, talented actor and now I have to look away when I see the paradoy he has become. Hardly surprising when your idol is Hunter S Thompson!

I mean, Depp has admitted to headbutting Heard. “Accidentally” but I’ve seen a few headbutts happen in my life and it’s a pretty deliberate act. And he would say it was an accident, wouldn’t he? I cannot see anyone excusing Heard if she said the same, that she “accidentally” headbutted him.

So I think both of them are awful, really.

And honestly, how can you say she is inherently like that but he is a victim of circumstance? You don’t know either of them.

For me we simply don't know the truth now. I would not underestimate the power of the Hollywood PR machine in all this either. He is a cash cow for most of the studios and a big big star. The entire rhetoric I have been hearing through the media is " poor old Johnny, she is a bad evil bitch " etc etc. To be frank I have never met either. But I can only go on what I see.

I get phucked out of my brains from time to time, I can get hoooped on wine and beer and do banger and yokes etc, you name it. But I have never lifted my arm to a woman since I threw OJ at my eldest sister in 1987, true story. Basic decency disguised as chivalry aside people should not be blinded into what went on here. She was a nobody before she met him also, there is no way she would have the connections or power to deal with this , in many ways she has been extremely brave all things considered.

If Depp was a decent sound individual he would be opening theatres in Bulgaria with Gwyneth Palthrow instead of hanging around villas 24/7 getting wired and abusing his partners.

I mentioned it in a previous post also, but it is a real shame the #metoo movement were happy to allow Amber Heard go through this ordeal on her own, I find that excruciating given the support they gave to other women. That epitomises what they are about. For some reason they were happy to have Depp's back on this, even though it was patently clear he had been violent to women. It stinks.

I mean, Depp has admitted to headbutting Heard. “Accidentally” but I’ve seen a few headbutts happen in my life and it’s a pretty deliberate act. And he would say it was an accident, wouldn’t he? I cannot see anyone excusing Heard if she said the same, that she “accidentally” headbutted him.

And honestly, how can you say she is inherently like that but he is a victim of circumstance? You don’t know either of them.

I didn't say either of those things. Obviously I don't know either of them and neither do you. You also weren't there when the alleged headbutt happened, maybe it was accidental, maybe it wasn't.
    I said I wonder if he'd be a much nicer person if it wasn't for drink and drugs where I think...think, not know for fact, think she seems like a horrible person with no mask of drink or drugs, it's just who she is. I could be wrong, as you said, I don't know either of them but one thing is certain there are no truly innocent parties in any of this and they are both to blame for their demise.
    Horrible behaviour on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Porklife wrote: »
    I didn't say either of those things. Obviously I don't know either of them and neither do you. You also weren't there when the alleged headbutt happened, maybe it was accidental, maybe it wasn't.
    I said I wonder if he'd be a much nicer person if it wasn't for drink and drugs where I think...think, not know for fact, think she seems like a horrible person with no mask of drink or drugs, it's just who she is. I could be wrong, as you said, I don't know either of them but one thing is certain there are no truly innocent parties in any of this and they are both to blame for their demise.
    Horrible behaviour on both sides.

I can pretty much guarantee that Heard would be vilified and not believed if she made the same claim. I mean, her ex said that Heard didn’t abuse her - and yet, people bring up all the time that she abused her ex. So people are cherry-picking what they believe and what they don’t.

And yes, I know neither of them. Which is why I wouldn’t speculate on what had made either of them the way they are.

I can pretty much guarantee that Heard would be vilified and not believed if she made the same claim. I mean, her ex said that Heard didn’t abuse her - and yet, people bring up all the time that she abused her ex. So people are cherry-picking what they believe and what they don’t.

And yes, I know neither of them. Which is why I wouldn’t speculate on what had made either of them the way they are.

No idea why you're picking on my post. Frankly I don't care either way. We'll never know what really happened and there will always be two sides. The truth is most likely somewhere in the middle. As I said before, based on evidence and admissions from both of them, horrible behaviour all round. No winners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

And not mentioned in this thread is Depp's prior history of violent behaviour.

In 1989 he was having a loud party in a hotel in Vancouver. When a security guard went up to investigate Depp assaulted him. https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/03/09/Teen-heart-throb-Johnny-Depp-who-plays-an-undercover-policeman/8389605422800/

He was arrested in 1994 in New York for thrashing a hotel room during a fight with his then girlfriend Kate Moss. https://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/14/style/chronicle-236659.html

He was arrested in London for attacking paparazzi after they tried to take pictures of him in 1999. https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/03/09/Teen-heart-throb-Johnny-Depp-who-plays-an-undercover-policeman/8389605422800/

Those incidents were over 20 years ago, when he still seemed relatively stable. Over the last decade his drinking and drug abuse have clearly spiralled. Alcohol and drug abuse clearly makes him angry and aggressive, why is it so unbelievable that he attacked Amber Heard. Hell, given how out of it he is from eyewitness accounts I cannot fathom how he can be so sure he hasn't done anything while blacked out.

He has long struck me as a somewhat empty person who embraced a hedonistic lifestyle and image in the belief it makes him more interesting, and addiction took hold. He has a typical addicts inabilty to face up and take accountability for his own actions.

Remember his near bankruptcy, where he sued for mismanagement of his money? The company on question had reams of correspondence where they warned him his spending was out of control despite his claims he knew nothing of it. Read this Rolling Stone article and you see a maudlin middle aged man determined to blame others for his own misfortune. https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/the-trouble-with-johnny-depp-666010/

Amber left him and ruined his image so he had to take this legal action to get his own back, which is evident in the nasty text messages shown in the trial. It's quite possible she's a nasty piece of work, but by god, so is he when you drill down past his popular public image.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭jj880

you are using the american view of libel law. the only defence that the paper could rely on is that the information they printed WAS true. Not whether they believed it was true, but whether it was actually true. This they did prove via the testimony at the trial.

I was following the trial. I must have missed that testimony. Genuine question: What was the testimony/evidence that proved Depp beat her as the Sun's headline stated?

jj880 wrote: »
    I was following the trial. I must have missed that testimony. Genuine question: What was the testimony/evidence that proved Depp beat her as the Sun's headline stated?

i'm not rehashing the trial.

i'm not rehashing the trial.

Im not asking for that. I'll settle for 1 piece of evidence he hit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I mentioned it in a previous post also, but it is a real shame the #metoo movement were happy to allow Amber Heard go through this ordeal on her own, I find that excruciating given the support they gave to other women. That epitomises what they are about. For some reason they were happy to have Depp's back on this, even though it was patently clear he had been violent to women. It stinks.

It always helps if you're a pretty face.

If he was a pudgy, balding middle aged man he would be savaged by #metoo.

jj880 wrote: »
    Im not asking for that. I'll settle for 1 piece of evidence he hit her.

He admitted to head-butting her and hit her in front of her sister

Short of cctv footage,theres not much more proof someone can offer you

Now she is far from saint and enough dirt emerged about her aswell (seems it was a car crash,toxic relationship),but he most deffo hit her

He admitted to head-butting her and hit her in front of her sister

Fair enough - I knew about the "accidental" headbutt but didnt know he admitted to hitting her. I wonder what Disney and Warner Bros will do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Advertisement