Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Question, and I'm not being smart but I'm looking for a genuine answer. Not a die hard Trump fan claiming that he's a cert for re-election or a die hard anti-Trump view that he has no hope.

What do we really think his reelection chances are at this point? I mean the polls are pointless. They gave him no shot against Clinton and he still won. And that was with absolutely no political pedigree and only a load of bluster and promises.

It seemed like he won then because the country was fed up with the status quo, because Trump played to the anti immigration vote and most of all, because Hillary was a terrible candidate.

Now (pre-Covid) the US economy was booming, employment figures were record breaking, Trump had followed through for the most part on his election promises and an argument could be made that his presidency had been a fairly successful one. I have family in the US who are life long Democrats but who grudgingly admitted that he had done well.

However Covid has beaten the sh*t out of the economy. And while I think the administration didn't do particularly better or worse than most countries in handling the early stages, they did do an extremely impressive job in supplying ventilators and PPE. Even Cuomo and other Democrat governors have acknowledged that.

However I think his public perception has gone down the toilet. His press conferences were terrible, there was the disinfectant injection saga, and his overly optimistic lockdown release goals.

Now with the rioting kicking off, Trump has again done a piss poor job of PR. rather than call for unity, supporting the protests while condemning the violence, he is rattling cages and stoking the flames.

The US media is a joke. Fox News proclaim every word from the Trump gob as gospel even when it's BS, and CNN proclaim every word as heresy even on the odd occasion he is in the right.

So seriously, who wins in November? Pre-Covid I would have said Trump by a fairly comfortable margin. But he has not come across well at all these last few months.

Biden is another absolutely terrible candidate, maybe even worse than Clinton. But he is staying out of the limelight a lot more than Trump, plus the majority of the media are quick to down play his blunders (you ain't black) and quickly shift the attention back to old Orange head.

As things stand, I think Biden wins. I also think he won't see the end of his term as I genuinely do think he has creeping dementia, I've seen similar symptoms in my own dad who has vascular dementia.

For Trump to win, the economy needs to bounce back in a big way and he needs to get head to head with Biden and dismantle him, which he is more than capable of doing. But will the rioting compound the economic issues caused by Covid? And will Covid keep him and Joe apart?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

DrPhilG wrote:
    Thoughts?

Say wha! He's astonishingly ignorant and extremely unintelligent, he's potentially been their worst ever president, I'd say it's 50/50 at the moment of a reelection, but it's quickly going against him, but millions of Americans are lapping him up, and will vote for him again

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Question, and I'm not being smart but I'm looking for a genuine answer. Not a die hard Trump fan claiming that he's a cert for re-election or a die hard anti-Trump view that he has no hope.

What do we really think his reelection chances are at this point? I mean the polls are pointless. They gave him no shot against Clinton and he still won. And that was with absolutely no political pedigree and only a load of bluster and promises.

It seemed like he won then because the country was fed up with the status quo, because Trump played to the anti immigration vote and most of all, because Hillary was a terrible candidate.

Now (pre-Covid) the US economy was booming, employment figures were record breaking, Trump had followed through for the most part on his election promises and an argument could be made that his presidency had been a fairly successful one. I have family in the US who are life long Democrats but who grudgingly admitted that he had done well.

However Covid has beaten the sh*t out of the economy. And while I think the administration didn't do particularly better or worse than most countries in handling the early stages, they did do an extremely impressive job in supplying ventilators and PPE. Even Cuomo and other Democrat governors have acknowledged that.

However I think his public perception has gone down the toilet. His press conferences were terrible, there was the disinfectant injection saga, and his overly optimistic lockdown release goals.

Now with the rioting kicking off, Trump has again done a piss poor job of PR. rather than call for unity, supporting the protests while condemning the violence, he is rattling cages and stoking the flames.

The US media is a joke. Fox News proclaim every word from the Trump gob as gospel even when it's BS, and CNN proclaim every word as heresy even on the odd occasion he is in the right.

So seriously, who wins in November? Pre-Covid I would have said Trump by a fairly comfortable margin. But he has not come across well at all these last few months.

Biden is another absolutely terrible candidate, maybe even worse than Clinton. But he is staying out of the limelight a lot more than Trump, plus the majority of the media are quick to down play his blunders (you ain't black) and quickly shift the attention back to old Orange head.

As things stand, I think Biden wins. I also think he won't see the end of his term as I genuinely do think he has creeping dementia, I've seen similar symptoms in my own dad who has vascular dementia.

For Trump to win, the economy needs to bounce back in a big way and he needs to get head to head with Biden and dismantle him, which he is more than capable of doing. But will the rioting compound the economic issues caused by Covid? And will Covid keep him and Joe apart?

Thoughts?

No matter the outcome of the election the American people will be the biggest losers.

As for dismantling Biden head to head, Trump doesn't have the intellect to dismantle anyone, last time he just shouted MAGA and Locke her up, this time he will have to convince the public that he is going to do a better job.

We have almost 4 years of Trump còck ups and you can guarantee every single one of them will be used against him. He wasn't a great debater last time so what makes you think he will be better this time?

die hard anti-Trump view that he has no hope.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Say wha! He's astonishingly ignorant and extremely unintelligent, he's potentially been their worst ever president

*sigh...

Apologies, fair enough you did say he had a 50/50 shot. But who do you think will win and why?

*sigh...

The poster gave him a 50/50 chance of winning. To say he's one of the worst US presidents in history is not an outlandish statement and has plenty to back it up.

• Advertisement

He wasn't a great debater last time so what makes you think he will be better this time?

I don't think he'll out-debate Biden. No chance. But what you say about him not being a great debater is exactly my point.

Against Clinton, he took a few things that he knew would resonate with his base (her email scandal primarily) and just slung mud at her rather than engage. But Clinton, wagon that she may be, is an intelligent articulate woman with the ability to keep her cool and just make him look like the school yard bully that he is.

With Biden, he'll do the same thing. He'll highlight the cock ups, and there are many.
    *you ain't black
    *you know, the THING
    *this is my wife, no, my sister
    *poor kids are just as talented as white kids
    *Obama was the first educated well presented black man

And on and on. Trump will paint Biden as a senile old fool. And the problem is, he's bordering on correct. Biden is blithering and comes across as a doting old man. He also tends to lose the rag when confronted, as he did a few times on the nomination campaign trail.

Remember when some guy challenged him and Joe only just stopped himself before saying "listen fatty"? And when a worker challenged his position on the 2nd amendment and Joe asked him if he wanted to step outside?

Donald Trump gets under the skin (like disinfectant, lol) and I can see him pushing Joe's buttons left right and centre and Biden not being able to handle it without losing the rag or saying something stupid.

Also I think Trump will go after Biden on his sexual assault accusation, and the "Creepy Joe" kid-sniffing stuff. Only a brazen asshole like Donald would go after someone's sexual behaviour and not give a damn about his own.

The fact is, Trump's sexual misbehaviour is all well known. The man boasted about how being rich meant women would let you grab their pu$sy, and STILL got elected!

And that's the thing. I'm sure we've all heard the analogy about wrestling with a pig? There's no point, because you both end up covered in mud, but the pig enjoyed it?

Trump is that pig. He's filthy. Sex scandals, underhand behaviour, allegations of corruption and financial irregularities, he doesn't give a damn about them. And they're all well known, but don't affect him. He enjoys wallowing in that mud.

Joe Biden has run on the claim that he brings decency, honesty and decorum back to politics. Trump will bend over backwards to make him sully that reputation.

The poster gave him a 50/50 chance of winning.

Either party could run a donkey in a suit and have a near 50/50 shot. (Some would say they are both doing just that). Such is the nature of the 2 party system.

My point was that there was nothing to offer in terms of the question I asked other than "Trump is awful".

PS you have a point though, I edited my post.

Either party could run a donkey in a suit and have a near 50/50 shot. (Some would say they are both doing just that). Such is the nature of the 2 party system.

My point was that there was nothing to offer in terms of the question I asked other than "Trump is awful".

PS you have a point though, I edited my post.

The odds are beginning to favour Biden more and more. If you're a person that is directly affected by the Coronavirus which is plenty. Particularly older and more vulnerable groups, they're well aware of how poorly this has been handled by him. They know he can't handle a crisis because of this. Meanwhile Biden has penned Multiple op-eds since late January on how it needs to be handled, basically he's managed to be more presidential than Trump during this.

He's not an ideal candidate but he's far better than Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,820 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As for dismantling Biden head to head, Trump doesn't have the intellect to dismantle anyone, last time he just shouted MAGA and Locke her up, this time he will have to convince the public that he is going to do a better job.
    It's not about Trump at all. If Biden is comes across like someone with dementia we have a major problem.
    The fact that Trump is considered to be still in with a chance is deeply concerning as to the state of American politics. The fact the Democrats couldn't get together and find a candidate to win by landslide is deeply concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's not about Trump at all. If Biden is comes across like someone with dementia we have a major problem.
    The fact that Trump is considered to be still in with a chance is deeply concerning as to the state of American politics. The fact the Democrats couldn't get together and find a candidate to win by landslide is deeply concerning.
    We get it, you don't like Biden, move on. People are entrenched in their digital choice in American politics and no matter who their candidate is, they will always vote along party lines, that is why Trump always hovers around 35-40%

• Advertisement

The fact the Democrats couldn't get together and find a candidate to win by landslide is deeply concerning.

This is the scary thing.

By the time 2024 rolls around the last 3 people to contest the presidency of the United States for the previous 8 years will have been Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden.

Those are the 3 best people that could be put forward from a country of 330m?

I wonder if both sides will look back in 2024 and wonder what the hell they were thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This is the scary thing.

By the time 2024 rolls around the last 3 people to contest the presidency of the United States for the previous 8 years will have been Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden.

I wonder if both sides will look back in 2024 and wonder what the hell they were thinking.

George Bush, Obama etc, I would add to that list. Serial bombers.

George Bush, Obama etc, I would add to that list. Serial bombers.

What about what about what about.

Start a new thread on those past presidents if you like or just stick to the title of this one

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://twitter.com/rmayemsinger/status/1267299657081737222

Also Literally claimed Biden was hiding in a bunker last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is the scary thing.

Going back from 2016 to 1980 you have a Bush or a Clinton in every election and/or in a very top job in every administration. President, VP and Hilarys Secretary of State being the "lowest" job. Hilary getting POTUS would have meant 44 years of Bushs and Clintons.

Surely someone better than a previous guys son or wife is more qualified? New blood, new ideas. Yet they're running with the guy who worked under Obama and with Hilary. And his VP has to be a woman. :confused:

The Nal wrote: »
    And his VP has to be a black woman. :confused:

You missed a bit. Especially in the light of recent events, it's pretty much guaranteed that Biden will choose a black woman as VP.

And given that I don't think Biden will last a 4 year term, the US could well have its first female president sooner than expected.

You missed a bit. Especially in the light of recent events, it's pretty much guaranteed that Biden will choose a black woman as VP.

And given that I don't think Biden will last a 4 year term, the US could well have its first female president sooner than expected.

Explain your reasoning why you think Biden won't last 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The key to the election will be the swing voters who took a chance on trump last time because he was an unknown quantity. But now his presidency has turned into a complete disaster so he’s no longer an unknown quantity. What do you think he has done for these people? What achievements can he point to? As for Biden not being fit or not lasting 4 years, that’s dreamland stuff.

duploelabs wrote:

Because he isn't capable now maybe so it's only going to get worse?

Because he isn't capable now maybe so it's only going to get worse?

No this is something you're claiming based on poorly cut videos. He doesn't have dementia, that's just a pretty shoddy claim that you're trying to push. It's the same as when people claimed Clinton was dying.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »

I already did. I think he has dementia. I've seen the same progression in my father. Rambling, seems to get lost in conversations and forget his point. Tripping over words now and again. Ballsing up the line from the declaration of independence was initially hilarious, but also very telling in my opinion. That's a document he has known by heart most of his life and yet he stumbled over it and ended up with "you know, the THING!"

This is not meant as an attack on him by the way. I just see him in interviews etc and I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that his cognitive ability is compromised and diminishing.

My dad started showing signs of mild confusion around late 70s. By early 80s he was getting to the point of not really being able to live alone. Poor bugger then had a stroke which fried his brains entirely.

The point is, Joe Biden is 77. If he wins in November, hell be 78 when he takes office. I don't think he'll still be fit for office at 82, not with the signs of dementia he is displaying already.

So if he wins, I can see him stepping down after a few years on medical grounds and his VP stepping up.

No this is something you're claiming based on poorly cut videos. He doesn't have dementia, that's just a pretty shoddy claim that you're trying to push. It's the same as when people claimed Clinton was dying.
    I'm pretty confident after watching all the Democratic nominee debates that he is in the early stages ages of dementia.

I'm pretty confident after watching all the Democratic nominee debates that he is in the early stages ages of dementia.

Apart from your anecdotal evidence, have you any academic qualifications or professional experience to make this diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I already did. I think he has dementia. I've seen the same progression in my father. Rambling, seems to get lost in conversations and forget his point. Tripping over words now and again. Ballsing up the line from the declaration of independence was initially hilarious, but also very telling in my opinion. That's a document he has known by heart most of his life and yet he stumbled over it and ended up with "you know, the THING!"

This is not meant as an attack on him by the way. I just see him in interviews etc and I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that his cognitive ability is compromised and diminishing.

My dad started showing signs of mild confusion around late 70s. By early 80s he was getting to the point of not really being able to live alone. Poor bugger then had a stroke which fried his brains entirely.

The point is, Joe Biden is 77. If he wins in November, hell be 78 when he takes office. I don't think he'll still be fit for office at 82, not with the signs of dementia he is displaying already.

So if he wins, I can see him stepping down after a few years on medical grounds and his VP stepping up.

Does that mean you Think Trump also has dementia?

What's your medical background to make such a conclusion? I've literally made similar errors to Biden in every day speech also used have a stutter which might relate. Or I have early onset dementia by your logic

duploelabs wrote:
    Apart from your anecdotal evidence, have you any academic qualifications or professional experience to make this diagnosis?
    No I don't, all I have is personal experience of watching two grandparents, one of whom lived with me, and some of their friends develop dementia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My grandparents had dementia so now I’m a doctor :pac: give it up lads

I’m still looking for unedited clip to show Biden has dementia. Nobody can provide one.

MadYaker wrote:
    My grandparents had dementia so now I’m a doctor give it up lads
    How do you decide I'm claiming to be a doctor when I said I'm not?
    I think you need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Does that mean you Think Trump also has dementia?

Sorry what relevance is that?

Donald Trump is a buffoon and a gobshyte. I'm not claiming otherwise. He says flat out stupid and ridiculous stuff all the time. That suggests that he's a twat. Not that he has dementia. Rewind to Trump 20 years ago and I'd say he was every bit the mouth that he is now.

I was asked why I think Biden won't last 4 years in the Whitehouse. Not for my opinion on Donald Trump.

• Advertisement

No I don't, all I have is personal experience of watching two grandparents, one of whom lived with me, and some of their friends develop dementia.

And my father has as did 3 of my grandparents, yet without any qualifications or experience, I wouldn't diagnose them. Even though I have met them and spent a lot of time around them.
    I'll go out on a limb here and say you've never met Joe Biden, even in a social setting let alone a diagnosis setting, so how do you attain in any metric whatsoever that he's suffering from dementia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement