Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Back on this rant again but emailed the LS twice for candidate ID has anybody had any luck? Can't imagine the panic on the morning not being able to log in

I've emailed a few times now too and have yet to get a reply, I've emailed Paula directly this evening so here is hoping she can help me out before Thursday.

I've honestly never even seen that number, I didnt get any written correspondence from them and have scanned through my emails for the number but its not on any of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Can anyone remember if terms came up on the last contract paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Can anyone remember if terms came up on the last contract paper?

Yeah it did, the same terms/exclusion clause/consumer protection Q she tends to ask most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Just as a matter of interest, how long before the exam do people aim to have all their notes done and when do people start learning off/route learning their notes?

Its my first time doing them with a job that doesn't allow for a lot of study leave (my last job I had 5 weeks off and now i'll probably get 2.5)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, how long before the exam do people aim to have all their notes done and when do people start learning off/route learning their notes?

Its my first time doing them with a job that doesn't allow for a lot of study leave (my last job I had 5 weeks off and now i'll probably get 2.5)

I think this very much depends on a person’s study method. For me, writing notes is my method of learning and I am painfully slow but that’s probably because I try not to take notes passively and instead try to understand and learn the information/concept as I go. I probably won’t finish my notes until the week of the exams! Works for me but everyone is different.

I only say this because it can sometimes be very daunting hearing of others who have finished their notes months in advance of an exam :). Stick with whatever has worked for you in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Depends how you study. I do one topic at a time and constantly revise the ones Iv done briefly so Im route learning from the start. No point thinking about what someone else is doing really. Its whatever works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Paraeagle wrote: »
    I think this very much depends on a person’s study method. For me, writing notes is my method of learning and I am painfully slow but that’s probably because I try not to take notes passively and instead try to understand and learn the information/concept as I go. I probably won’t finish my notes until the week of the exams! Works for me but everyone is different.

I only say this because it can sometimes be very daunting hearing of others who have finished their notes months in advance of an exam :). Stick with whatever has worked for you in the past.
    Depends how you study. I do one topic at a time and constantly revise the ones Iv done briefly so Im route learning from the start. No point thinking about what someone else is doing really. Its whatever works for you.

Thanks! You guys are right about doing what works best for each person, I just get so paranoid all the time that what I'm doing isn't enough so I try get some justification by asking other people! its my toxic trait lol

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Re: pay during Blackhall, Eversheds and Dillon Eustace both pay full salary and pay your fees so I think it's safe to say all the biggest 10 firms do.

Also seems the big firms hire very much in advance, I know Arthur Cox are now full until 2024 and most of the others until 2023. I did a lot of milkround interviews in November, got a TC for 2023 but hoping to have FE1s finished in March, so currently wondering how to fill the next 2 years, hopefully travelling and working abroad, any suggestions welcome haha

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

law987 wrote: »
    Re: pay during Blackhall, Eversheds and Dillon Eustace both pay full salary and pay your fees so I think it's safe to say all the biggest 10 firms do.

Also seems the big firms hire very much in advance, I know Arthur Cox are now full until 2024 and most of the others until 2023. I did a lot of milkround interviews in November, got a TC for 2023 but hoping to have FE1s finished in March, so currently wondering how to fill the next 2 years, hopefully travelling and working abroad, any suggestions welcome haha

I understand the advantage for those firms having a steady pipeline by filling up well in advance but surely they have to set aside a few spots every year for drop outs/those who don't pass all 8 by the time they are meant to?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Thanks! You guys are right about doing what works best for each person, I just get so paranoid all the time that what I'm doing isn't enough so I try get some justification by asking other people! its my toxic trait lol

I hear you! We should start a support group :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    I understand the advantage for those firms having a steady pipeline by filling up well in advance but surely they have to set aside a few spots every year for drop outs/those who don't pass all 8 by the time they are meant to?

Yeah they do in a way. Numbers are based on business needs/quality of candidates. It's flexible. If there's a candidate they like, they'll usually try to accommodate in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LawLearnin

What is actually being tested in the exams? I've sat six now and they don't appear geared towards either the workplace/skills required to be a solicitor or a thorough test of legal knowledge. (Yes, I'm pretty jaded with the FE1 process at this point but it is a genuine question!) I graduated over a decade ago and have done a range of professional certs/masters/courses since and they were all more attuned to either the related workplace or the broadening of your knowledge in that field.

I feel like if I could get my head around what the FE1s are actually testing, then I'd be less stressed while studying and when sitting them, and am really interested to hear what ye think.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

LawLearnin wrote: »
    What is actually being tested in the exams? I've sat six now and they don't appear geared towards either the workplace/skills required to be a solicitor or a thorough test of legal knowledge. (Yes, I'm pretty jaded with the FE1 process at this point but it is a genuine question!) I graduated over a decade ago and have done a range of professional certs/masters/courses since and they were all more attuned to either the related workplace or the broadening of your knowledge in that field.

I feel like if I could get my head around what the FE1s are actually testing, then I'd be less stressed while studying and when sitting them, and am really interested to hear what ye think.

Ha they are testing my patience that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Do we think they would have contacted us by now if they suspected us of cheating or will it just be an automatic fail tomorrow? Worried about toilet breaks ahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

maggie95 wrote: »
    Do we think they would have contacted us by now if they suspected us of cheating or will it just be an automatic fail tomorrow? Worried about toilet breaks ahahahaha

Pretty sure the rules we were given stated that if there was any investigation about suspicious behaviour a candidate would be notified before it is reported to the Education Committee to make a decision. Doubt they could make a decision of automatic failure without at least giving you a chance to respond or clarify what they suspect as cheating, but who knows with the LS at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

For anyone that sat Property in November and who did the question in adverse possession, how do we think that will be marked?? Remember there was a typo with the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

I think they definitely would have contacted us by now! They said we’d be notified if they thought we were a serious case of cheating before it was sent to the committee so it would have to have happened before the results come out!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Anyone else get that email re. logging in with your candidate number? Every email from the LSI makes me anxious these days! I’m just very nervous for the results

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

LawLearnin wrote: »

Memorisation of case names and legislation, application of case law and legislation to given scenarios. Then for essays the same but with commentary on the law itself. I'd imagine those are skills you'd need as a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Memorisation of case names and legislation, application of case law and legislation to given scenarios. Then for essays the same but with commentary on the law itself. I'd imagine those are skills you'd need as a solicitor.

From working in a law firm, I have first hand experience that memorisation plays little part in practice lol, considering firms have their own law libraries and near limitless online resources. Personally I think open-book exams would make a lot more sense so that it's not basically a memory test.

• Advertisement

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    From working in a law firm, I have first hand experience that memorisation plays little part in practice lol, considering firms have their own law libraries and near limitless online resources. Personally I think open-book exams would make a lot more sense so that it's not basically a memory test.

B-b-but Emma that would compromise the integrity of the exam!!

:D

It's important to remember that the only reason the Fe1s exist in the current format because a few disgruntled QUB students took a Case to the Supreme Court relating to exemptions and won.

The Law Society absolutely can, and should, remove the exams for law graduates as it was the case before.

And don't give me this "integrity of profession" nonsense. Unless you're arguing that solicitors that qualified decades through the old system are somehow incompetent.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    It's important to remember that the only reason the Fe1s exist in the current format because a few disgruntled QUB students took a Case to the Supreme Court relating to exemptions and won.

The Law Society absolutely can, and should, remove the exams for law graduates as it was the case before.

And don't give me this "integrity of profession" nonsense. Unless you're arguing that solicitors that qualified decades through the old system are somehow incompetent.

Was making a joke as to their excuse for why it couldn't be an open-book exam in November! Believe me I do not believe in that excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

B-b-but Emma that would compromise the integrity of the exam!!

:D

Hahahahaha that phrase just triggered my fight or flight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

IgoPAP wrote: »

The difficulty of getting a training contract is very often bemoaned in this thread. Imagine how hard it would be without the FE1s and hundreds of eligible graduates joining the hunt every year.

The difficulty of getting a training contract is very often bemoaned in this thread. Imagine how hard it would be without the FE1s and hundreds of eligible graduates joining the hunt every year.

You can apply for TCs without having completed any Fe1s. This argument only makes sense if you assume that people would otherwise have trained to become a solicitor if not for the FE1's.

If the purpose of the exams is to stem the tide of new solicitors instead of maintaining the integrity of the profession or whatever, I wish the Law Society would be upfront and actually be honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

To be fair, more probably would opt to go down the solicitor path if it wasn't for the FE1s, but agreed that's not a good enough reason for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LegalSmeagle97

anyone got a recent company grid that I can swap for?

the one I have is very confusing lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

SKLaw wrote: »
    Anyone else get that email re. logging in with your candidate number? Every email from the LSI makes me anxious these days! I’m just very nervous for the results

Me too. I don't know why I'm nervous. It's done, I can't do anything about it and still nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

If I don't pass this one, I'm gonna strongly consider qualifying in England under the new SQE system.

Probably faster to pass the SQE and qualify there than it is to find a traineeship here. Losing patience...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement