Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Does anyone know how long it takes for an application for the Access Programme to be processed? I know they follow up with an interview, I assume this is done over Zoom given the way things are right now?

Can anyone give me a small insight into the process of being accepted into it? Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Not my intention at all - what i meant is that if you don't get an offer straight from college or feel that your grades are not stand out, all is definitely not lost and that it's probably a matter of just building up the experience that will boost your application and will lead to interviews. The more experience you have the less emphasis on grades - at least in my experience..

Hi, I understand this is a tough question to answer but your insight and advice has been helpful thus far.

How can one, with average to poor grades, get legal experience at a time like this? I live in a small area with a few small firms who maybe 5 of have a proper website and only have maybe 1 or 2 solictors there. I doubt they'd take anyone on even unpaid given covid, but feel free to correct me!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Hi, I understand this is a tough question to answer but your insight and advice has been helpful thus far.

How can one, with average to poor grades, get legal experience at a time like this? I live in a small area with a few small firms who maybe 5 of have a proper website and only have maybe 1 or 2 solictors there. I doubt they'd take anyone on even unpaid given covid, but feel free to correct me!

When you say average to poor grades what do you mean ? I got a 2:1, grades in first year were fairly poor but didn’t think that would matter or is it the case that a 2:1 is considered average these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

channing90 wrote: »
    When you say average to poor grades what do you mean ? I got a 2:1, grades in first year were fairly poor but didn’t think that would matter or is it the case that a 2:1 is considered average these days.

Pretty much everyone has a 2.1 these days with grade inflation and lower standards. It's the bare minimum and it doesn't make you stand out in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone has a 2.1 these days with grade inflation and lower standards. It's the bare minimum and it doesn't make you stand out in any way.

Oh agreed but I still thought there wasn’t that many people on 1:1s in my year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

channing90 wrote: »
    Oh agreed but I still thought there wasn’t that many people on 1:1s in my year.

That's true. It's usually much harder to get 1.1s because a single bad subject could drop your overall grade even if you've done amazing on the other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mrlawbody43

RudiN95 wrote: »
    Is there any advice?

The best advice I would give is to just get your head down and to really give these exams a good bash. Preparation, timing, discipline, and good browse on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

Does anyone know how long it takes for an application for the Access Programme to be processed? I know they follow up with an interview, I assume this is done over Zoom given the way things are right now?

Can anyone give me a small insight into the process of being accepted into it? Many thanks.

I applied during the summer, and all it consisted of was a phone call going over my application and mainly my cover letter that I had sent in. That was really it as far as I can remember- it was so fine and I found out I was accepted a few weeks later!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Maybe look into doing law related volunteering, e.g. admin for flac, pila, mercy law centre, amicus alj etc. Might be easier to get than an internship, and could likely be done remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

question for anyone who has applied for the hybrid while waiting on results how are the fees managed. did you pay anything with your application or are you waiting for results and confirmation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

I think somebody mentioned that no fees are paid until confirmation of result.
    Please god we will know more this week in relation to results.....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Anyone else struggling to get back into study? Promised myself I'd start in December, really lacking motivation at this time of the year lol

Hi All,

I just got an email from Paula Sheedy to say that ALL the results will issue in January :(

Anyone hear any different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fe1BB

Hi All,

I just got an email from Paula Sheedy to say that ALL the results will issue in January :(

Honestly thought anyone looking to do the hybrid would have their prioritised especially because they asked to email by today. :(

I got an email to say that there was no deadline for the hybrid and once you had a training solicitor you could start immediately but nothing about results

it will be over 2 months waiting for the results ....
    not even angry anymore, just weary from the whole thing.

I spoke to a girl last week in the PPC section and she said a decision would be made later this week in relation to early results ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sunflowers8

Hi All,

Did she mention anything about the dates for the next sitting? The timetable is usually released with the results of the last sitting so I guess we’ll also be waiting until January for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Hey folks, can anyone help me out with a grid for company, constitutional or equity. Iv good notes for every subject to swap.

Did she mention anything about the dates for the next sitting? The timetable is usually released with the results of the last sitting so I guess we’ll also be waiting until January for that...

No mention 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Still looking... I have a physical copy, just need a PDF because transcribing isn't fun and a big waste of my limited time :(

I have a PDF if you want to PM me your email!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

ruby1998 wrote: »
    Anyone else struggling to get back into study? Promised myself I'd start in December, really lacking motivation at this time of the year lol

same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 paburke3

I set up a discord channel so we can have more organization. Different chats for each subject + traineeship talks. Also there's more freedom than on boards.

https://discord.gg/JGAeyBgHJ8

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Hey guys, am I right in saying the Law Soc didn’t provide digital legislation in the recent online sitting? Planning on sitting Company in Spring and struggling to justify spending 100 quid on the CA 2014 (I know you can source cheaper elsewhere but still be a hefty price)

Anyone think if they are online in March/April they would provide you with legislation or is that just wishful thinking and should one just bite the bullet and buy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Hey guys, am I right in saying the Law Soc didn’t provide digital legislation in the recent online sitting? Planning on sitting Company in Spring and struggling to justify spending 100 quid on the CA 2014 (I know you can source cheaper elsewhere but still be a hefty price)

Anyone think if they are online in March/April they would provide you with legislation or is that just wishful thinking and should one just bite the bullet and buy now?

It's dirt cheap second hand I flogged my legislation (not the little green book the actual thing) for 20 quid to physically remove it from my house. Just ask around on facebook / adverts / friends of friends once the results come in. I think those digital copies were just a concession because the OPW wasn't posting legislation. Wouldn't surprise me if they changed their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

Hi guys. Anyone with company Manual, please private message me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 loosehead1973

Hi folks,
    Where is best place to buy L&C Reform Act and Sucession Act.
    Regards,
    Gus

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

ruby1998 wrote: »

I flew into a bit of Criminal Law for a short while, and since mid November I've just stopped completely. I can't find any motivation to look at the books with the uncertainty of the next sitting. Will it be online again? Or physically? When will it be held? All of these things massively impact how many exams I do, and thus how early I need to start really studying... Just can't find the motivation with the lack of certainty and the fact that the results are so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

Does anyone have a constitutional grid up to 2020 they would mind sending me?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Does anyone have constitutional / company / criminal materials?

I have everything for tort / contract / property / equity / EU, that I can swap

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Meg!

Has anybody with all 8 subjects doing the Hybrid got a timetable yet. I am waiting on a result but wouldn't mind seeing a timetable to see what the lecture timetable is like etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

What’s the chances of getting results today for people wishing to start the Hybrid?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement