Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is very much a level of sloganizing to all of this without any clear path to solutions; it in the nature of protests anyway. My own thinking on this is that we will find approaches to resolving it in thousands of small little ways not just in one huge big plan. There will be no one plan and the interconnectedness of so many things means different strategies will have to be applied to different problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Watched a little of her latest incoherent rant yesterday lecturing, scolding everyone with a Blaa Baa here a Blaa Blaa there. She's a disturbingly, angry young lady and is becoming a parody of herself.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I feel sorry for her tbh, her hearts in the right place but she's been swayed by the climate warriors and their peddling of doom. Life on earth for humans will come to an end be it 100 years from now or a 1000 years from now. She needs to get out and live her life and have some fun and stop worrying so much.

Working from home really should be a no brainer at this point. It’s the 1 thing that could fairly easily be done and would make a major difference.

Unless we find a way off this rock, I’d have to agree that our demise is inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well I believe I can.

I figure he has been in his position since early / mid 2020.

The ESB tried and failed to obtain planning permission to turn both plants into biomass stations. They then announced that they would have no option but to cease operations at end of 2020 as per their planning permission.

So he was the sitting minister for quite some time by the time they shut them down. Surely a man in his position should be able to work with the cabinet to do what is needed to ensure power demands are met, not just shut the plants and shrug his shoulders telling us things will be tight for 5 years.... Common sense would tell us that the plants should therefore have got a 5 year life extension.

Alan Kelly today asked the Taoiseach to confirm that energy demands will be met, making the point that the Minister this morning could not do that. It's unprecedented to have a minister just telling the population there will be power cuts and basically suck it up when the action that caused this was government led and could have been set back until production could have been switched over to new facilities.

Post edited by mickdw on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've long been of the view there's something psychologically not quite right with her. Not a serious mental condition you can take medication for, but just 'one of those types of people', whatever 'those types' is.

If I were to explain that further I'd say that whatever it is she has - it gives off a false impression of maturity that isn't really there to the degree it seems. Like it's just an accident that she comes across well most of the time. But of course she doesn't come across well ALL of the time, because sometimes she's comes across quite weird. But then again activists often do, especially anything to do with 'saving the planet' types, I've always thought. Think I'm on to something.

My prediction is as she reaches her young adult years, something will happen to her that will completely eliminate her from whole climate change scene, like she'll have a mental breakdown, or she'll just announce she's giving it up for some reason, can't cope with the notoriety, lost her childhood, something like that.

Now I should say if she's she's allowed to predict what the state of the planet will be like in 50 years time I should be able to predict what she'll be like in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

She is not the best speaker in public is she? Politics aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I suggest you don't worry too much about interventions,as they will be made anyway,particularly as the true cost of a Greta Thunberg approved environment is now very obviously going to be felt a tad earlier than people expected.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0929/1249533-electricity-supply-warning/

Eirgrid's report has the following little heads-up,for the Bill payers such as Greta's Ma & Pa.......

"It also warns that ensuring a secure energy transition will not be "costless" and will be funded by energy customers."

I'll bet it will 😐️

As if on cue,the Commission for the Regulation of Utilities chimes in with it's take on the situation,and quelle surprise it's not good for us "Ordinaries"....

The Commission for the Regulation of Utilities (CRU) has warned that customers face higher charges for their electricity in the coming years due to record demand and reduced supply.

My thinking is that Governments and actual leaders,need to address this Emergency NOW,and be less concerned about knee-jerk reactions to a very obviously manipulated young lady who has yet to display any appreciation of what it actually takes to run successful,productive and rewarding societies.

Greta Thunberg's childhood has not been ruined by her parents generation,but in fact she has had the great benefits of the very societal norms she decries as she becomes ever more shrill whilst failing to see it is exactly that very society which has elevated her to her current celebrity status.

When all the hoohah subsides,it is becoming increasingly clear that Windpower,Solarpower and Wavepower remain incapable of delivering the Guaranteed Availibility of Power which our Society demands,and has been capable of providing until the arrival of this latest Messiah.

So yeah,whilst we await the HSE providing the 578 ICU beds it said it needed back in 2009,we can also rush headlong into implimenting the Thunberg plan for wooly hat wearing during Winter.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How can someone so young be so shrill ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't buy into the warming theories re doom.

Virtually all the people devoting their professional careers to monitoring the situation disagree with you.

Secondly, it would appear that any upward temperature trend is over a tiny timescale when compared to the history of the planet. All the current theories appear to ignore natural cycles on this planet.

Three words for you, Rate. Of. Change.

You're bringing two things to the discussion. A denial there is a problem and blaming anyone who suggests anything that might impact on quality of life.

One barrier for doing something in your view is that it should wait until all cancer causing emissions have been removed entirely. Ok, lets go with that, how would you suggest this be brought about. Be as specific as possible.

Wow, you quote 5 posts you clearly disagree with, burying heads in sand you say, my own comment actually never made any reference to climate change (which incidently I fully understand). I directed my comment at the messenger, who's disturbing and obvious Anger is actually begining to deflect from the message itself.

Her Ranting is I believe turning people off, in essence more people are commenting on her demeanour rather than her actual message.

Her Ranting is I believe turning people off

And I believe anyone who says they fully understand the climate issue, but are being turned off by someone calling attention to it, and the lack of meaningful action is only looking for a scapegoat so that they can dismiss concerns of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I thought the same until I read about this clown yesterday. He stood up in front of the UN only two days ago making a profound speech about how drastic action was needed immediately and that it was the biggest issue we face. Yesterday then it's not so big a deal. It's the exact blah blah blah Gretta talked about.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1443251280210694145?s=19

I don't disagree at all and just felt it is worth pointing out the incoherent and angry ranting is turning people off, not necessarily the cause (I think most objective people get the crisis). I look at it, a bit like if the Journalist is becoming the Story, then... Etc

I would also suggest a younger generation looked up to Greta, but they too are either going to be turned off or more worryingly become quite militant as they grow older (Hardly going to help any cause)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Again maybe them getting militant about it isn't a bad thing. You have the leader of the country telling bare faced lies about issues surrounding climate change. His reason here for the power gap....do we store wind electricity from summer for extended periods of time?

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1443246205019033607?s=19

I hear you but still feel the message being drowned out by anger on both sides but just my own humble opinion 😉

The messenger has very little to say that she wasn’t saying two years ago and one can have an interest in this area without caring what this messenger has to say. The trouble is the messenger has now become a very intemperate version of herself and seems to imagine that throwing insults at people is a way of producing results. This might have been mildly charming when she was a minor but now she's a full adult and we treat adults differently. We have also seen from this particular quarter that there is only one way to do this and if this does not match up then somebody will stamp their feet and scream. She offers no solutions, she has no plans, she just keeps telling us that the world is doomed and certain people are to blame for it. That may be true but it is no way to resolve the problems that we're facing.

Things are happening in the world of politics that she's so busy insulting. It may take a while for it to build up a head of steam but there seems to be a general acceptance that something needs to get underway now.  

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

@Tell me how genuine question, how do climate scientists measure the atmospheric CO2 levels of 350,000 years ago?

• Advertisement

Getting militant for no good reason will not deliver results. There are plans afoot on this. They may not be perfect in any way but it is also very early days and patience is needed.

From de google.

Changes in past atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations can be determined by measuring the composition of air trapped in ice cores from Antarctica. So far, the Antarctic Vostok and EPICA Dome C ice cores have provided a composite record of atmospheric carbon dioxide levels over the past 800,000 years.

I'm all for serious action on climate change but she is really becoming a serious pain. She is unavoidable at this stage, constantly in the spotlight, lecturing the entire Western world like some sort of great saviour...

Herself and XR will continue to turn more people away from the issues that need addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Obvs not everyone is content to live in sackcloth, do without school ski trips to Italy and the latest devices. Once air travel gets back to normal we'll have the Xmas shopping flights to NYC and the Lapland flights again, climate be damned, see Santa's habitat before the snow's all gone. People are used to comforts and luxuries and won't give them up easily.

Wait until the rising Chinese middle class want everything they feel entitled to as well.

Your post is pretty much exactly what was said by her detractors from the moment she started getting significant exposure.

Throughout earlier threads about her, many of these detractors displayed moving goalposts in an effort to be able to undermine her.

• She doesn't know what she's talking about.
    • She's just doing it for attention.
    • She's being manipulated.
    • She's doing it to make money.
    • She should go back to school.
    • She doesn't have any solutions.
    • She isn't doing enough.
    • She's incapable of seeing reality because of her medical diagnosis.

The also took the approach of trying to isolate her or the broader message.

• Science isn't in agreement.
    • There's always been temperature fluctuations.
    • There isn't enough evidence that humans are the problem.
    • No point doing anything as long as China, India and the US are polluting continuously.
    • The economy takes priority.
    • There's more important things to focus on.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone who disagrees with her has said all of the above, or everyone has to agree with her entirely but through taking part in various threads about Greta, and the wider climate/sustainability topics on here, I've seen a frequent correlation between those who expressed a dislike of her, and have a skepticism about the need/benefit/justification of any action about what she talks about.

Anyone I've seen post who want to see any action to promote sustainability, focus on that rather than undermining her efforts.

Obvs not everyone is content to live in sackcloth..........do without school ski trips to Italy and the latest devices........

Firstly, no one is advocating sack cloth. Secondly, the last year has shown us that people don't have to do everything they may have thought they have to do. And no, I'm not suggesting no one ever again goes on holiday.

That aside, can you see how the things you talk about are things that have become the norm in just the last 20 years or so (and the norm for some people does not imply it is something most of the people on the planet get to experience).

We might think we cannot live without these things, the vast majority of the people who walked the planet at any point have done so, and getting people to realise there is a price to pay for this experience, takes someone calling attention to it. It isn't going to be the companies who want to sell all these products, or the politicians who want a happy electorate and the industry and revenue from their demand. But does that mean no one should call attention to the impact of such consumerism?

That your post talks about her exposure shows up it up for what's wrong with it. She can say what she wants but most adults are happy enough to listen to people who know what they're talking about or can do something not someone who constantly wants to barrack large portions of the population. If you're being honest with yourself some of what she's been saying recently particularly the blah blah blah stuff is terribly childish and does not advance any argument.

I've actually switched off from anything she has to say as our own plans and other plans internationally will play a far bigger part in the changes that are going to come over the next decade but good luck to her.

If you're being honest with yourself some of what she's been saying recently particularly the blah blah blah stuff is terribly childish and does not advance any argument

I completely disagree, she is literally calling out the people for their hypocrisy. No one can dispute the promises they have made, and the gap between that and the actions they have completed.

Should this be ignored, who else is calling attention to it in a similar blunt fashion?

As said, mildly charming and tolerated in a kid, in a full grown adult a mixture of being abusive and being unable to communicate coherently. Calling people out is a very simplistic notion of how you can get things done. It doesn't work and we have our own climate plan to measure progress. That's how you do things in the real word, conceive a plan, set targets, implement, measure performances, adjust as needed. Shouting at people just doesn't do that.

• Advertisement

The real world process you outlined hasn't worked. The clock is ticking.

Don't think either statement can be disputed, keep doing the same thing, expect to see the same results.

Advertisement