Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Farage needs to now start working on helping trump win re election. If he wins then the us eu trade war will begin and will further weaken the EU most likely benefiting British business. It's incredible to think of what Farage has left to play after all he has achieved.

Trump has already started a trade war on U.K. It really is laughable that people think the U.K. is in any way relevant enough to orchestrate a trade war within the two most important blocs in the Western World.

This article goes through in detail what U.K. will be getting from the US.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-trade-war-uk-brexit-huawei-iran-boris-johnson-2020-1?r=US&IR=T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

joeguevara wrote: »
    Yes. And if we didn’t get a better deal we would have voted no.

Similarly if any U.K. deal doesn’t suit us, it won’t be agreed to or ratified.

So regardless why you voted the result had to be yes otherwise the Treaty couldnt be passed.

Ireland voted No and was told/asked/forced/coersed to vote again to get the correct vote which was yes.

If as you say alterations were made to the Treaty then any other country who voted on it before hand then their vote would be void as it isnt the same as what they voted for.

Non of what you say was reported as such in the media at that time even by pro EU media.

So only you must believe this or have this secret info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Is calling Ireland irrelevant not denigration. Is stating that we will be bullied even if it is not in our best interests not denigration, sure give me your definition if you have a different one.

:rolleyes:
    It really is laughable that people think the U.K. is in any way relevant enough to

Jesus it took you less than 5 minutes to choke on your own words!

Similarly if any U.K. deal doesn’t suit us, it won’t be agreed to or ratified.

If a deal is agreed but one tiny economy holds it up then I dont think anybody is really going to accept this. Even with arm twisting and promises of extra cash. It will just get worse and worse for the EU as every country in the group is going to hold out to be rewarded.

What you are talking about is smaller countries holding out and basically blackmailing the others most probably for gain.

The result would be total mayhem and meltdown.

So you cant really believe that?

@joeguevara

I will also point out, there has been nothing short of abuse spewed towards the British people for months on this thread. Calling them stupid, arrogent, idiots that dont know what they voted for.

• Advertisement

@joeguevara

I will also point out, there has been nothing short of abuse spewed towards the British people for months on this thread. Calling them stupid, arrogent, idiots that dont know what they voted for.

True and I never saw any claims of racism, biggotry or hate by any of the Brits. If anybody is trying that as someone tried the other day then we may as well all disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭timetogo1

So regardless why you voted the result had to be yes otherwise the Treaty couldnt be passed.

Ireland voted No and was told/asked/forced/coersed to vote again to get the correct vote which was yes.

If as you say alterations were made to the Treaty then any other country who voted on it before hand then their vote would be void as it isnt the same as what they voted for.

Non of what you say was reported as such in the media at that time even by pro EU media.

So only you must believe this or have this secret info.

Why do you call something a secret if you don't know something?

There were guarantees given to Ireland which didn't affect the protocols.

If only there was some mechanism whereby people could research what they were talking about instead of making it up as they went along.

https://www.iiea.com/publication/lisbon-the-irish-guarantees-explained/

:rolleyes:

Jesus it took you less than 5 minutes to choke on your own words!

Firstly you requested ONE example (your capitals) of where an EU country was denigrated. I gave you one. You said I was clutching at straws.

I never said UK were not relevant. You quoted by cherry picking. I said relevant enough to orchestrate a trade war with EU and US. But don’t let the facts get in your way.

I stand my belief that uK are less relevant outside the EU. Ireland will become more relevant within it.

@joeguevara

I have never resorted to that. Actually have the height of respect for British people.

If a deal is agreed but one tiny economy holds it up then I dont think anybody is really going to accept this. Even with arm twisting and promises of extra cash. It will just get worse and worse for the EU as every country in the group is going to hold out to be rewarded.

What you are talking about is smaller countries holding out and basically blackmailing the others most probably for gain.

The result would be total mayhem and meltdown.

So you cant really believe that?

It’s not about blackmailing. If a deal was inherently detrimental to Ireland then it won’t be agreed to. The process has worked well so far but will be tested. My point was that we will be relevant and front and centre in negotiations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I'm pretty optimistic. Boris did what he said he would do in breaking the deadlock. I'm delighted I voted Tory in December.

Now the hard work begins. I think people have underestimated him so far. I think the UK building a wider set of connections outside of the EU can only be a good thing going forward. Of course everyone wants a good trading relationship with the EU. When the majority share of exports is non-EU and this is growing it is only reasonable to think that it's a good idea to try and expand this.

It’s not about blackmailing. If a deal was inherently detrimental to Ireland then it won’t be agreed to. The process has worked well so far but will be tested. My point was that we will be relevant and front and centre in negotiations.

Listen stand there and say you honestly believe that the German leader is going to let her car industry go bankrupt for the sake of a little country not agreeing to something?

They cant back it up with tax payer money because they will be breaking their own rules.

So its either bust or give in to what basically is blackmail. If they give in to one, then every other country will try same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

Listen stand there and say you honestly believe that the German leader is going to let her car industry go bankrupt for the sake of a little country not agreeing to something?

Why the German car company would go bankrupt?

They cant back it up with tax payer money because they will be breaking their own rules.

So its either bust or give in to what basically is blackmail. If they give in to one, then every other country will try same.

The German car industry will not go bankrupt at the whim of the U.K. it is a falsehood that Germany and France rely on the U.K. to the level that you mention.

The EU is a Union. Ireland has shown that it can accept certain conditions but also won’t lie down on fundamental issues such as borders etc. The EU has shown that it supports Ireland in that.

The German car industry will not go bankrupt at the whim of the U.K. it is a falsehood that Germany and France rely on the U.K. to the level that you mention.

it was an example to make a point not an actuallity.

The EU is a Union. Ireland has shown that it can accept certain conditions but also won’t lie down on fundamental issues such as borders etc. The EU has shown that it supports Ireland in that.

So if the UK abolishes VAT in NI in a few months time. You agree with open borders between Republic and NI then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

it was an example to make a point not an actuallity.

Can you use a current or past example to make your point?

So if the UK abolishes VAT in NI in a few months time. You agree with open borders between Republic and NI then?

You have it backwards. Do you think the EU would bully Ireland into having hard borders because of such an action by U.K.? How would such a flagrant action which undermines an international peace agreement impact U.K. trade negotiations internationally.

I have never resorted to that. Actually have the height of respect for British people.

Who said you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,384 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Suprised some of the diehard brexit boys are still using a European website.

• Advertisement

You have it backwards. Do you think the EU would bully Ireland into having hard borders because of such an action by U.K.?

Well the UK can do what it wants now regards such a tax as VAT for example. They can also swing their currency up or down to suit as well.

So if they abolished VAT in NI. The loss to the UK taxpayer from such a small population would be little.

The business gain for NI would be cosmic as every man and his dog from the Republic would shop there.

Those goods would also find their way through open borders (EU) to other countries.

I can only guess at what the Republic and the EU may do if such a thing was to happen.

Who said you did?

Well you name checked me when you out of the blue happened to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The business gain for NI would be cosmic as every man and his dog from the Republic would shop there.

I wouldn't, too far away, couldn't be arsed, I also like supporting local whenever I can

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I wouldn't, too far away, couldn't be arsed, I also like supporting local whenever I can

Be a minimum of 23% cheaper. A minimum of 230 euro on every 1000.

Well the UK can do what it wants now regards such a tax as VAT for example. They can also swing their currency up or down to suit as well.

So if they abolished VAT in NI. The loss to the UK taxpayer from such a small population would be little.

Those goods would also find their way through open borders (EU) to other countries.

I can only guess at what the Republic and the EU may do if such a thing was to happen.

U.K. had control of their tax rates while in the EU. If the business gain would have been cosmic why wouldn’t they have implemented it. We have a tiny corporation tax rate in comparison to other countries so we could hardly have complained. So why would they do it now?

If the premise is that they want hard borders, what happens when they are up. Do they still have 0 vat or go back to normal. If the former then there would be no tax take and likelihood of exponential national terrorism. If the latter, then borders can go. So what you think is a Eureka moment is unworkable.

The U.K. will hopefully be able to negotiate an agreeable treaty with EU. But your assertion that it will only be with France and Germany and we won’t have a clue of what is agreed is simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Don't know why Farage is looking so happy, really can't understand it, with the future of the UK itself in the balance!

Scotland is being pushed to the brink, Northern Ireland too.....

So if Farage values the union so much haw can he be so sure and so happy, unless he doesn't care about the United Kingdom as a whole....

Maybe he doesn't care if Scotland & NI break away? Maybe he'd be happy for England & Wales to go it alone? I don't know what he's thinking.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Suprised some of the diehard brexit boys are still using a European website.

Why? Are you equally as surprised some of the remainers are still supporting Man UTD?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't think you understand how anything works.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

If I want to buy someting from UK do I have to pay custom tax (say e.g. through ebay site) ?

• Advertisement

I don't think you understand how anything works.

Of course not and only you do.

Only the British and the people who voted Brexit are wrong and Ireland, you and your glorious EU are correct.

In all this time no one in the UK Gov or business has for one second thought that you were all correct and they are making a big mistake.

You should have sent them an email telling them your insider knowledge and how your crystal ball is so good.

While you were at it you should have told the the Euro millions numbers because as you say they are going to need it.

Any way any British person reading what you say on boards will only be enlightened to know they they are worthless and have nothing to offer the world and now have no future.

I am surprised they all arent at this moment driving down to Beachy head for a bit of unsecured bungee jumping.

It makes you feel better anyway. Work away and carry on.

Somehow I dont think they are as doomed as you say. Neither does anybody else.

Advertisement