Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

China is an amazing place and it's prominent cities are high tech wonders. Lovely people and lovely food too.

Sounds great, go eat some live mice or maybe order some koala and bring snow garden some Corona

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Sounds great, go eat some live mice or maybe order some koala and bring snow garden some Corona

But...the architecture!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There are some guy eating a rat's head as well. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Wouldn't go to China for my own wedding never mind someone else's at the moment.
    Gotta wait and see how this plays out, I'm expecting a fast deterioration in the situation over the next 10 days given current information.
    Hopefully tho it just goes away like some people seem to think. Very wishful but my fingers are crossed. Extra glad I bought 20 n99 masks in December just because they where free delivery. Carrying one with me atm in case a dart carriage is extra sniffley one morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yeah was going to book the flights shortly but I think I'll hold off til April at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

I've to go to a wedding in China this year. Reading lots of stuff that is putting me off. I will be sticking to McDonalds.

Relax. You can eat weird stuff or you can go eat some chicken or pork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Have Sky news upped the scaremongering yet? I love it when they get going.

I am looking forward to a rolling census of confirmed diagnoses on the bottom corner. If they colour code it continentally it should be class.

To the poster who just bragged about purchasing 20 face masks, you cannot be phucking serious when you say that you actually put one on whilst travelling on the Dart in the morning? Please tell me your on a wind here, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Wouldn't go to China for my own wedding never mind someone else's at the moment.
    Gotta wait and see how this plays out, I'm expecting a fast deterioration in the situation over the next 10 days given current information.
    Hopefully tho it just goes away like some people seem to think. Very wishful but my fingers are crossed. Extra glad I bought 20 n99 masks in December just because they where free delivery. Carrying one with me atm in case a dart carriage is extra sniffley one morning.

You know those surgical masks don't protect you against airborne viruses?
    It stops you from sharing your bacteria with others, but doesn't protect you against breathing in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

timmyntc wrote: »
    You know those surgical masks don't protect you against airborne viruses?
    It stops you from sharing your bacteria with others, but doesn't protect you against breathing in either.
    The medical consensus seems to be that they offer a little protection from hand to face contamination if you use them in a disciplined way (change them regularly, dispose of with care, make sure of good fit, etc.), but have little enough practical use outside of a clinical setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

mikhail wrote: »
    The medical consensus seems to be that they offer a little protection from hand to face contamination if you use them in a disciplined way (change them regularly, dispose of with care, make sure of good fit, etc.), but have little enough practical use outside of a clinical setting.

They're predominately worn in Asian countries by the sick - as a courtesy so as not to infect other people.
    Same reason they're worn by surgeons etc when cutting people open - it's about keeping your germs to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Have Sky news upped the scaremongering yet? I love it when they get going.

I am looking forward to a rolling census of confirmed diagnoses on the bottom corner. If they colour code it continentally it should be class.

To the poster who just bragged about purchasing 20 face masks, you cannot be phucking serious when you say that you actually put one on whilst travelling on the Dart in the morning? Please tell me your on a wind here, please?

It may not be completely irrational scare mongering. A study released by Lancaster University predicts up to 250,000 infections in Wuhan alone by early February based on current estimates.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fz7EwlAJjrZs708YGPym1Xj_3PmysukL/view
    https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/et8zs8/novel_coronavirus_2019ncov_early_estimation_of/
    Reddit moderator says the document was verified as a source from Lancaster Uni

Haven't needed a mask yet but if some mutent is coughing clouds of virus out into a dart or anywhere else I'll be donning the mask. It's black so ya can call me dart vader.
    Fyi- Respirators, also called N95 respirator masks, are designed to protect the wearer from small particles in the air that may contain viruses. ... Overall, respirators are considered much moreeffective at preventing the flu virus than regular facemasks. Still, studies have found benefits to both types of masks.
    My one is n99. Slightly smaller particles filtered.

I'll take any help I can get if the sh1t hits the fan. Not gonna need it today but what about 2 weeks for now if things go bad? Better you than me is my attatude.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭gavinoontheweb

Haven't needed a mask yet but if some mutent is coughing clouds of virus out into a dart or anywhere else I'll be donning the mask. It's black so ya can call me dart vader.
    Fyi- Respirators, also called N95 respirator masks, are designed to protect the wearer from small particles in the air that may contain viruses. ... Overall, respirators are considered much moreeffective at preventing the flu virus than regular facemasks. Still, studies have found benefits to both types of masks.

I'll take any help I can get if the sh1t hits the fan. Not gonna need it today but what about 2 weeks for now if things go bad? Better you than me is my attatude.

If I was that concerned about small particles in the air I wouldn't get on the Dart at all. Effective hand hygiene and not touching poles,rails,seats etc... is far more important.

Also N95 masks are of little use outside of short bursts in clinical settings, it is very difficult to breathe in normally if one is affixed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I hope this doesn't affect my Savory Bat Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So by all accounts, this virus is nowhere near as bad as SARS for most people. The confirmed cases in the US are only showing "mild" symptoms and there are likely thousands of people in china who have it and not needed medical care. Almost all the confirmed deaths were older people with under lying conditions. So why all the panic and fear mongering? Something like Ebola becoming widespread is something to worry about, doesn't seem like this is zombie apocalypse level or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So by all accounts, this virus is nowhere near as bad as SARS for most people. The confirmed cases in the US are only showing "mild" symptoms and there are likely thousands of people in china who have it and not needed medical care. Almost all the confirmed deaths were older people with under lying conditions. So why all the panic and fear mongering? Something like Ebola becoming widespread is something to worry about, doesn't seem like this is zombie apocalypse level or anything.
    The "panic", you're complaining about is because it's a new virus and has a moderately high fatality rate among confirmed cases of infection. The "panic" is a good thing, because it will hopefully allow experts to crack down on it and control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

China is an amazing place and it's prominent cities are high tech wonders. Lovely people and lovely food too.

An amazing place and lovely people. Food was absolutely gorgeous too. I was amazed at the bamboo scaffolding on a skyscraper being built and the workers in bare feet ! Though obviously I saw mostly the tourist spots and not how normal people live. I still would go back

I agree with most that things aren't 2 bad at the moment. I believe people are worried because most who know something of the history of pandemics know that we will one day have to face a bad one. And they all start slow with one or two patients.
    We live in a country with very few ambulances and a totally overwhelmed hospital system. One large scale emergency would cause absolute chaos.
    Taking steps, any steps, to protect or insulate yourself in any way is a good thing. And people who keep an eye on emerging issues are watching this very closely.

• Advertisement

The "panic", you're complaining about is because it's a new virus and has a moderately high fatality rate among confirmed cases of infection. The "panic" is a good thing, because it will hopefully allow experts to crack down on it and control it.

I'm not saying that measures to control it shouldn't be taken. Hopefully they are effective in preventing the spread around the world. But for the average person outside of China there is no need to "panic" just yet. It seems many are though (case in point - person in dublin ordering surgical masks), egged on by the hyperbolic news stories. It's a bad cold for most people according to the experts

Since the lunar new year is a hot topic, happy new year everyone. Best I could do from my balcony.

6GBApP4.png

cjmc wrote: »
    An amazing place and lovely people. Food was absolutely gorgeous too. I was amazed at the bamboo scaffolding on a skyscraper being built and the workers in bare feet ! Though obviously I saw mostly the tourist spots and not how normal people live. I still would go back

Probably be cheaper deals coming up soon. Try Wuhan. Don't rush back, really enjoy yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I agree with most that things aren't 2 bad at the moment. I believe people are worried because most who know something of the history of pandemics know that we will one day have to face a bad one. And they all start slow with one or two patients.
    The last catastrophic pandemic was the Spanish 'flu, and there were numerous factors that allowed it to become such a cataclysm.

Major pandemics before that one can mostly be traced back to the fact that antibiotics hadn't been invented yet and germ theory hadn't been developed, so hygiene was non-existent.

Sure, it's scant solace to the people who die and their families, but the odds of us seeing anything like the Spanish flu within a few centuries is pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I'm not saying that measures to control it shouldn't be taken. Hopefully they are effective in preventing the spread around the world. But for the average person outside of China there is no need to "panic" just yet. It seems many are though (case in point - person in dublin ordering surgical masks), egged on by the hyperbolic news stories. It's a bad cold for most people according to the experts
    Chinese New Year festival is happening at the moment. The largest annual human migration. The city the outbreak happened in, is a very important city for travel in China due to its central location. It may be a bad cold for most, but those older, younger and immunocompromised people it could be quite bad, especially given the timing. I'm not overly worried, myself. But I can see why it's scary prospect given the timing.

Chinese New Year festival is happening at the moment. The largest annual human migration. The city the outbreak happened in, is a very important city for travel in China due to its central location. It may be a bad cold for most, but those older, younger and immunocompromised people it could be quite bad, especially given the timing. I'm not overly worried, myself. But I can see why it's scary prospect given the timing.

There were similar worries about MERS and an epidemic/pandemic due the Hajj which luckily ended up not being a major issue. Hopefully the measures put in place and people actively avoiding anything that may lead to exposure will help to curtail the spread.

Just an aside on the masks, I ordered them before I'd ever heard of this virus. Not a prepper or anything. Just a handy thing to have that costs little. Be it smoke or killer alien plague, better a cheap n99 than nothing at all.
    And if I get sick I won't be spreading anything around as much. But I would definitely use it on a nasty train if the animals sharing it refuse to cover their mouths when coughing. Obviously if we are knowing we where in the mist of a serious virus outbreak at the time. I've had my jabs so not worried about seasonal flu as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Disney Shanghai is closing it’s gates from today. It’s probably a lot more serious then the Chinese government are letting on

https://www.reddit.com/r/disneyparks/comments/et7vv9/shanghai_disneyland_will_close_starting_tomorrow/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Disney Shanghai is closing it’s gates from today. It’s probably a lot more serious then the Chinese government are letting on

https://www.reddit.com/r/disneyparks/comments/et7vv9/shanghai_disneyland_will_close_starting_tomorrow/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

What are they letting on.. They know the whole world knows they're locking down cities. Cases popping up around the world. The cat's out of the bag. Locking down cities speaks louder than saying 5,000 before it's been fully confirmed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement