Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Indeed SARS only took out 800 and was headline news for years.
    Still enough of a concern for WHO to have a get together later today.
    Pneumonia can effect young healthy people as well as the infirm.

For good reason surely? It was a deadly virus that spread easily and killed healthy people

Apparently with this coronavirus of the 19 deaths all but two were over 60, and ten of 19 had existing health conditions. So far anyway doesnt look any deadlier than normal winter flu.

Interestingly in the shop today I overheard a Chinese woman talking to the shopkeeper about how she couldnt fly home for new years anymore because of the outbreak of the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The stupidity or sheer thoughtlessness of some people
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/23/chinese-tourist-says-she-evaded-coronavirus-checks-fly-france
    Chinese tourist says she evaded coronavirus checks to fly to France:
    “I had a fever and a cough before I left – I was so scared. I quickly took some medicine and checked my temperature. Luckily the temperature was controlled and I had a smooth journey through the border.”

Can't blame her really, I'd rather be in a French hospital than a chinese city in lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The stupidity or sheer thoughtlessness of some people
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/23/chinese-tourist-says-she-evaded-coronavirus-checks-fly-france
    Chinese tourist says she evaded coronavirus checks to fly to France:
    “I had a fever and a cough before I left – I was so scared. I quickly took some medicine and checked my temperature. Luckily the temperature was controlled and I had a smooth journey through the border.”

Selfish idiots like that that will be the cause of it spreading globally in no time at all
    Anyone know what the incubation period is for it or is it the same as other flu's

two cases of the corona virus confirmed in temple bar, both men hospitalized, originally from Cavan.

apparently people in the bar reported them buying rounds of corona without any reason whatsoever!!! unheard of for a cavan man!! must be the dreaded virus then eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-four-people-tested-in-scotland-and-more-uk-cases-feared-11915882
    Potentially spread to Ireland and Scotland
    'Sky News understands one person is also being treated at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Belfast for symptoms associated with coronavirus.'

WHO believe it has potential to become a pandemic, 600 cases confirmed in China with 18 deaths
    Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the WHO, said: "Make no mistake, this is an emergency in China but it has not yet become a global health emergency.

"It may yet become one."
    https://news.sky.com/story/china-coronavirus-25-dead-as-wuhan-city-in-lockdown-11915522

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

wakka12 wrote: »
    Apparently with this coronavirus of the 19 deaths all but two were over 60, and ten of 19 had existing health conditions. So far anyway doesnt look any deadlier than normal winter flu.
    Similar, but different and as it's new (2019-nCoV) it has no vaccine (takes months to develop). Can be mild, but can also cause viral-pneumonia, and antibiotics also do not work for viral based infections.

(Hubei Province) of the 444 confirmed cases:
    399 patients are receiving treatment in hospitals
    71 in severe condition
    24 in critical condition
    17 deaths (most with pre-existing conditions)

China already reporting an anti viral drug.
    administered orally around the lip region, a squeeze of lime will improve taste and improve mortality!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Think its a 1 in 30 death rate so far from my calculations but that could rise as people who are currently ill could pass away. Could get worse or better, no way of knowing.

I doubt the death rate is anywhere near that high. There are bound to be way more cases than officially reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

rusty cole wrote: »
    two cases of the corona virus confirmed in temple bar, both men hospitalized, originally from Cavan.

apparently people in the bar reported them buying rounds of corona without any reason whatsoever!!! unheard of for a cavan man!! must be the dreaded virus then eh!

everyone says cavan people are stingy, 'tis people from meath that are careful with their money

everyone says cavan people are stingy, 'tis people from meath that are careful with their money

worked with a cavan man for years, you could not get him away from the bar for buying every c**t and dhrink, and a great man on a night out.
    my reference to Cavan was merely an ironical ode to that man!

His name was traynor and when eejits would be cast below his tutelage, he would say Traynor by name not by occupation!!
    I loved that one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Vaccine makers tap into virus-driven rally to raise money

Novavax Inc., which in 2013 developed a vaccine for Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), filed to raise more than $100 million.

Some small vaccine developers that saw their stocks take off on Tuesday over growing concern about the new coronavirus are using the rally to raise money.

Novavax Inc. NVAX, +8.04% in 2013 developed a vaccine for Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), which is also a coronavirus.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/vaccine-makers-tap-into-virus-driven-rally-to-raise-money-2020-01-22

Correction, instant noodles (not dry), from the red top bastion of truth and information.

BVVv3Lj.png

An ideal food to keep, storage wise. The question is how many days/weeks would the average person have in their cupboard, and what happens when the advertised price quadrouples behind closed shop shutters.

I was in china in July and at the gate there were vending machines selling pot noodles of every size shape and flavour you can imagine. And there were queues for them. I didn't understand why until we got on the plane. I was seated near the galley and once we took off (after waiting in the plane for 3 hours on the tarmac waiting for a Typhoon to pass), every few minutes someone would arrive at the galley asking for boiling water to put in their pot noodle. I thought, why didn't I think of that?!? Instead of eating KLM's rubber chicken dinner, I should have bought some pot noodles. They have some big pots which really are a full meal, not the quick snack we are used to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What next a Coronation Street Virus :).

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,890 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I never want any of my family especially OH to EVER get that ferocious flu/bug thing that was doing the rounds at Christmas ever again.

That was despite getting the flu jab too. This Corona virus is in China. We are not in China. I know bugs can travel, But hopefully it is being bigged up by the virologists and Big Pharma. Then it will die out eventually like Ebola and Sars and so on.

I was in china in July and at the gate there were vending machines selling pot noodles of every size shape and flavour you can imagine. And there were queues for them. I didn't understand why until we got on the plane. I was seated near the galley and once we took off (after waiting in the plane for 3 hours on the tarmac waiting for a Typhoon to pass), every few minutes someone would arrive at the galley asking for boiling water to put in their pot noodle. I thought, why didn't I think of that?!? Instead of eating KLM's rubber chicken dinner, I should have bought some pot noodles. They have some big pots which really are a full meal, not the quick snack we are used to here.
    A green Potnoodle E621 chicken combo, once a year is about enough.
    Had fish noodle soup upstairs at KULairport once, and still regret it. Another time went 24hr KLM during ramadamadingdone via SIN, so only a few were eating and thus got offered a fairly nice spare hot dinner every 2hrs.

Still if locked down, something could be made of plain dry Noodles with a few other (curry) ingredents, had dry boxed peas last week, and were actually far better than tinned or frozen stuff.
    Dehydrated foods are also very lightweight, handy if escaping Wuhan (bigger than NYC) on horseback with just a rucksack. If not resolved within the week, the social panic might be worse than the actual infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12302979

Food market at centre of deadly coronavirus outbreak admits selling live koalas, snakes, rats and wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Interesting read from the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/coronavirus-china-wuhan-latest/2020/01/23/2dc947a8-3d45-11ea-afe2-090eb37b60b1_story.html

-: This virus could be 10 times that of SARS.

-: The golden period for Quarantine has passed.

-: Chinese officials aren't doing everything

-: There is a level of censorship surrounding this matter .

Food market at centre of deadly coronavirus outbreak admits selling live koalas, snakes, rats and wolves

sounds like it'd be a cool place to see, under normal circumstances...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Similar, but different and as it's new (2019-nCoV) it has no vaccine (takes months to develop). Can be mild, but can also cause viral-pneumonia, and antibiotics also do not work for viral based infections.

(Hubei Province) of the 444 confirmed cases:
    399 patients are receiving treatment in hospitals
    71 in severe condition
    24 in critical condition
    17 deaths (most with pre-existing conditions)

Where are you getting this info from ?

Main-stream media isn't reporting those figures.

If this is no worse than the common flu and the numbers coming out of China are to be believed then why are they shutting down the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

“If it Moves; Eat it!” - The Wild Brunch

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

1720 - plague
    1820 - plague
    1920 - plague
    2020 - Coronavirus...aka plague..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

820 cases now confirmed in China

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

fritzelly wrote: »
    If this is no worse than the common flu and the numbers coming out of China are to be believed then why are they shutting down the country?
    Even if it only has the (lowish) 2% rate, as suspected (like the Spanish flu had), it's still a lot more significance than regular seasonal flu of only 0.1% (fatality rate).

Essentially may be similar in 'strength' to the regular seasonal flu, but x20 more potent... when including all those over e.g. 40, or those with any underlying conditions whatsoever, if contracted.

As there is no previous human immunity to it, can also spread faster (becoming a numbers game), and it's novel charachter can mutate easier (slowing any vaccine manufacture).
    Currently no remedy is available (no jab, and antibiotics are irrelevant in this case).

mikeecho wrote: »

those figures are from about 36 hours ago, found them here. gives source as: 'according to local authorities.'
    https://www.shine.cn/news/nation/2001230412/

mikeecho wrote: »
    Came up on newsfeed aggregator a few hours ago:
    https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Hot+Topics/China+Mystery+Virus?type=ln

• Registered Users Posts: 23,487 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

SafeSurfer wrote: »

What is that as a percentage of China's population?

statistically zero.

SafeSurfer wrote: »

That's a big jump in less than a day or rather in the past few hours

Is it true that the incubation period can be upto 14 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What is that as a percentage of China's population?

Bout three fiddy

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement