Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bit of Lemsip and a hot water bottle.

You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Keep the windows closed on unairconditioned trains and buses to spread the virii even more.

Bit of Lemsip and a hot water bottle.

You'll be grand.

Pfffft with your new age lemsip. Hot red lemonade will kill this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Gatling wrote: »
    China aren't exactly known for telling the truth ,the death toll could be a lot higher and we would never know ,the way they are carrying on now suggests they are in panic mode

Don't know that they're panicking exactly. Chinese new year is one of the biggest migrations of people in the world. I'd say they're locking down because it has the potential to become a panic situation if everyone is moving everywhere, on crowded trains, etc. at this time of year. Getting ahead of the situation if you will.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Swine flu had the same symptoms as our common Influenza

Yeah but was a new strain and came from China and sucked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

pc7 wrote: »

Im not says saying you weren’t in bits. That’s what happens when you get the flu.

I’m saying that John Doe from down the road who had the common influenza was just as bad suffering the same symptoms.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Duke think it’s getting lost in text, I know that Swine flu is the same as flu (a, b etc) But I’m talking in terms of viruses originating in China like Corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Oh dear. What is a weaponised virus outside of delivery meathods thought? Only heard of Anthrax and the like being stored.

it is speculation, but a large lab was working on exactly this disease.... in groubs zero.. also chinese labs have had multiple leaks.. scary stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it just me or is this being hyped up a bit too much?

Main news on rte. A dozen or so deaths out of 8 billion.

Experts on news telling us it's nothing to worry about in Ireland. Yet they can't emphasise DEADLY often enough.

Radio news today was even telling us about a case at an Irish hospital that was suspected but turned out not to be. Some wasn't even worth a mention in the end.

But a slow news day I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Im not says saying you weren’t in bits. That’s what happens when you get the flu.

I’m saying that John Doe from down the road who had the common influenza was just as bad suffering the same symptoms.
    It so depends on the individual too. I regularly read hereabouts that if you have the flu you know it's not just a heavy cold and you're at deaths door laid up in bed barely able to move for weeks. I've had a few cases of confirmed flu and yeah was fcuked for maybe 3- 6 days(but still able to struggle to the jacks, feed myself and the like), but I wasn't that bad. The very worst flu dose I ever had though was that swine flu. It lasted about the same length of time but the weakness and fever(104 at one point) was unreal compared to previous flus I had, I had two days were I could barely function, couldn't eat and going to the loo was on my hands and knees time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

NIMAN wrote: »
    Experts on news telling us it's nothing to worry about in Ireland. Yet they can't emphasise DEADLY often enough.
    Radio news today was even telling us about a case at an Irish hospital that was suspected but turned out not to be. Some wasn't even worth a mention in the end.
    Apart from the fact that it reads like the script from the movie

Contagion (2011) dir. Steven Soderbergh, it sounds tame so far.
    https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/people-are-freaking-out-that-coronavirus-outbreak-is-like-contagion/
    In the movie a woman eats pork that was bat-flu infected in HK/China, that then causes a mystery virus to gradualy spread on similar early type epi-curve, spread worldwide by int'l flights and public transport

Oh wait...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My concern is that Chinese origin N. More the Chinese government, who wouldn't know openness of information if it jumped up and bit them in the nads. That they've quarantined a massive in western trems urban area in the run up to the Chinese new years is not smelling like a flu like dose that only kills a tiny proportion of already immuno compromised/old people. I suspect we'll only get the full story, good bad or indifferent if and when it hits more open societies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

pc7 wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about it. We had a thread a few weeks ago with people denying flu actually exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wibbs wrote: »
    It so depends on the individual too. I regularly read hereabouts that if you have the flu you know it's not just a heavy cold and you're at deaths door laid up in bed barely able to move for weeks. I've had a few cases of confirmed flu and yeah was fcuked for maybe 3- 6 days(but still able to struggle to the jacks, feed myself and the like), but I wasn't that bad. The very worst flu dose I ever had though was that swine flu. It lasted about the same length of time but the weakness and fever(104 at one point) was unreal compared to previous flus I had, I had two days were I could barely function, couldn't eat and going to the loo was on my hands and knees time.

I was the exact same. I remember my family telling me I needed to go to the hospital but I didn’t even have the energy to tell them that I couldn’t go to the doctor because I was too exhausted to try and explain to the doctor what was wrong with me. I was literally mute for about seven days, trying to speak was that exhausting. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t even lift my phone to send a text message. Toilet efforts were the worst. I genuinely thought I was dying! Worst dose ever. Ill never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is about the 4th or 5th so called dangerous virus outbreak in the last 10 or 15 years or so.

The rest of them tailed off into obscurity, I expect this one to do the same.

x8 cities in Hubei provence now lockdown (Wuhan, Huanggang, Ezhou, Chibi, Xiantao, Qianjiang, Zhijiang and Lichuan)

It's likely such a 1st level measure wouldn't be possible in the western world due to 'civil liberties'.

The first-level public health emergency envisages mobilization of personnel, government departments and enterprises in fighting against the outbreak, as well as using all necessary materials and resources. In order to prevent the spread of the outbreak, local governments may cancel public events, temporarily suspend the operation of companies and educational institutions, restrict access to potentially dangerous areas, make temporary requisitions for houses, cars, equipment and other resources.

Ideally it would be temporary (1wk or so), as 23m folks will likely run out of their supplies of dry noodles and soy sauce, and might take to the supermarkets (if open or not) by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The black plague started with one death.

Maybe it's being over hyped, but personally, I wouldn't trust that the Chinese are being completely truthful.

8 cities now on lockdown for (as you say) a dozen or so deaths, seems like an overreaction.

The Chinese aren't telling the world everything.

Ideally it would be temporary (1wk or so), as 23m folks will likely run out of their supplies of dry noodles and soy sauce, and might take to the supermarkets (if open or not) by then.

racist :pac:

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Pfffft with your new age lemsip. Hot red lemonade will kill this thing

Everyone knows it’s flat 7-Up that kills a virus.

I was the exact same. I remember my family telling me I needed to go to the hospital but I didn’t even have the energy to tell them that I couldn’t go to the doctor because I was too exhausted to try and explain to the doctor what was wrong with me. I was literally mute for about seven days, trying to speak was that exhausting. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t even lift my phone to send a text message. Toilet efforts were the worst. I genuinely thought I was dying! Worst dose ever. Ill never forget it.
    Thankfully I wasn't that bad, even the bad couple of days were less than yours. :eek: Crappy dose though. TBH I seem to be lucky that way. Like that recent/current dose doing the rounds, I know a few people had it for weeks, a few needed treatment(chest infections). I had a couple of meh manflu days over a weekend with some headache and sore throat, but it has since gone. On a happier note for us both I read that if you caught that particular swine flu strain it apparently offers some resistance to similar strains.
    x8 cities in Hubei provence now lockdown (Wuhan, Huanggang, Ezhou, Chibi, Xiantao, Qianjiang, Zhijiang and Lichuan)

It's likely such a 1st level measure wouldn't be possible in the western world due to 'civil liberties'.
    If it were similar to say the Black Death I'd bet the west would get just as strident. But like I say, that the Chinese gov have gone this far in an unprecedented move is a concern. At least until some decent non Sinocentric sources come along with information.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Think its a 1 in 30 death rate so far from my calculations but that could rise as people who are currently ill could pass away. Could get worse or better, no way of knowing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

mikeecho wrote: »
    8 cities now on lockdown for (as you say) a dozen or so deaths, seems like an overreaction.

It makes no difference how many cities are on lockdown. The virus will spread within the cities and eventually get out. I imagine it has done so ages ago. It's just another strain. Same as SARS.

Fear loves social media!

racist :pac:
    Correction, instant noodles (not dry), from the red top bastion of truth and information.

BVVv3Lj.png

An ideal food to keep, storage wise. The question is how many days/weeks would the average person have in their cupboard, and what happens when the advertised price quadrouples behind closed shop shutters.

It makes no difference how many cities are on lockdown. The virus will spread within the cities and eventually get out. I imagine it has done so ages ago. It's just another strain. Same as SARS.

Fear loves social media!

Jebus... Very selective quoting.

That doesn't reflect the spirit of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The stupidity or sheer thoughtlessness of some people
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/23/chinese-tourist-says-she-evaded-coronavirus-checks-fly-france
    Chinese tourist says she evaded coronavirus checks to fly to France:
    “I had a fever and a cough before I left – I was so scared. I quickly took some medicine and checked my temperature. Luckily the temperature was controlled and I had a smooth journey through the border.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The stupidity or sheer thoughtlessness of some people
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/23/chinese-tourist-says-she-evaded-coronavirus-checks-fly-france
    Chinese tourist says she evaded coronavirus checks to fly to France:
    “I had a fever and a cough before I left – I was so scared. I quickly took some medicine and checked my temperature. Luckily the temperature was controlled and I had a smooth journey through the border.”
    I think the standard procedure here is to dig a trench, douse her in petrol in it, and contain the infection. It seemed to work a treat for the BSE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement