Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I was also intensely sick a month or so ago but it only lasted around four days and some tiredness afterwards. It was doing the rounds here.

I had 2 weeks of flu since flying back to KL and now wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Parody news site CNN and their hot take

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1223307977723203587

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Working at Dublin Airport it's curious how ZERO precautions have been taken. While I don't deal with flights from Asian countries I can imagine the reluctance of other companies that do, yet their ground staff haven't been given basic things like gloves or sanitizer...

Don't be surprised if an outbreak happens and there'll be a shortage on staff here, causing much longer wait times... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Working at Dublin Airport it's curious how ZERO precautions have been taken. While I don't deal with flights from Asian countries I can imagine the reluctance of other companies that do, yet their ground staff haven't been given basic things like gloves or sanitizer...

Don't be surprised if an outbreak happens and there'll be a shortage on staff here, causing much longer wait times... :rolleyes:

The assumption is im thinking that other airports are filtering for us as we have no direct flights from china which i think made sense a week ago but now is being lazy and naive as things are starting to look more serious.

Did you see australian airport security threatened strike action for nit being allowed wear masks?

While reasonable, masks are far more beneficial if its infected people wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It doesn't matter if you deal with flights directly from Asian countries, people could be coming from anywhere when they arrive in dublin with the amount of connecting flights. Kind of shocking that they arent even taking basic measures to protect staff. Like surely gloves and hand sanitizer should be standard regardless of if theres a possible pandemic going on?

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    The assumption is im thinking that other airports are filtering for us as we have no direct flights from china which i think made sense a week ago but now is being lazy and naive as things are starting to look more serious.

Did you see australian airport security threatened strike action for nit being allowed wear masks?

While reasonable, masks are far more beneficial if its infected people wearing them

The last thing we need is an outbreak. This country is far too ill equipped to deal with it, what with the whole over crowding of hospitals fiasco due to closure of hospitals courtesy of our inept Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Oh, and you know... people might get sick and die and stuff too! ;)

But yeah, longer waiting times will probably be more likely to cause a bit of panic for the people that matter! $$$$ Gotta keep those wheels a rollin... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is the general consensus that we won’t really know specifics of the virus until we start to see confirmed information from outside China? (Infected - serious - dead , exactly how it spreads etc)?

Is China as unreliable as the cynic in many would imagine? Maybe similar to the way Russia tried to cover up Chernobyl to protect the mother land?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if you deal with flights directly from Asian countries, people could be coming from anywhere when they arrive in dublin with the amount of connecting flights. Kind of shocking that they arent even taking basic measures to protect staff. Like surely gloves and hand sanitizer should be standard regardless of if theres a possible pandemic going on?

Well, yeah. Meant any bags originating from including connections.

Staff room has an empty sanitizer dispenser (none in the work areas), gloves are the cheap ones you get for gardening.

/woo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is the general consensus that we won’t really know specifics of the virus until we start to see confirmed information from outside China? (Infected - serious - dead , exactly how it spreads etc)?

Is China as unreliable as the cynic in many would imagine? Maybe similar to the way Russia tried to cover up Chernobyl to protect the mother land?

Basically yeah, while china are being more open their history with SARS and cultural instincts to try hide the truth to make themselves look better makes it hard to 100% trust what they say.

The good news so far is outside of China weve had many recoveries and no deaths yet, but no one can really say if that means anything yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

I would have thought that hand sanitiser is ineffective, any I’ve seen in shops are just antibacterial. Supposedly Boots sold out of it, but sure, it’s worthless if it’s just antibacterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

whatever99 wrote: »
    I would have thought that hand sanitiser is ineffective, any I’ve seen in shops are just antibacterial. Supposedly Boots sold out of it, but sure, it’s worthless if it’s just antibacterial.

Soap and water is almost as effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Anyway I have it on good authority* Unit 731 programmed this obvious bioweapon to be immune to hand sanitiser.

* - a Zerohedge report with no citations written by someone who calls themself Tyler Durden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Don’t think it will be an issue in Western countries.
    The sense of fear is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

WHO advisory says use alcohol based a hand rub if hands not visibly dirty, and soap and water if they are visibly dirty.

The protocol in the NICU was to wash hands before entering. There was handrub to hand too. I always did both.

I would guess that the advice on WHO might be based on the notion that people don't always wash their hands correctly. My memory of the instructions at the NICU was to be thorough, use soap and hot water for at least 15(?) seconds and wash every part of your hands as well as your wrists, turn the tap with your elbow. (Not all taps can be turned with your elbow obviously.)

Apparently hand hygiene is not great in China. That is a comforting idea to me, even if I feel that view might be cynical. Maybe bad hand hygiene is a factor in the spread there that might not be true elsewhere.

Anyway I would use both. Sometimes soap and hot water won't be available the moment you need them. Personally I have to keep one of my hands dry for the moment because of a wound so am limited to alcohol handrub for that one.

The advice is to wash your hands frequently. If you cant, then hand sanitizer is the next best option but it shouldn't be considered a replacement for actual washing, just a stop gap until you can wash with soap and water. Honestly though, I dont think this occurs to a lot of people (the washing hands regularly thing), which is a problem when it comes to spreading illnesses. Hand sanitizers dont kill everything, but the physical action of washing will remove them in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭whatever99

Where would you get alcohol handrub? Or is that just the regular hand sanitizer? I saw some Cuticura stuff in tesco that said it killed bacteria...probably no good? I have two elderly parents with health issues, so if the virus gets here, they’d be susceptible. I’ve already bought in extra food, and I wouldn’t want them going out much, if at all, if it comes here.

Where would you get alcohol handrub? Or is that just the regular hand sanitizer? I saw some Cuticura stuff in tesco that said it killed bacteria...probably no good? I have two elderly parents with health issues, so if the virus gets here, they’d be susceptible. I’ve already bought in extra food, and I wouldn’t want them going out much, if at all, if it comes here.
    Just look at the ingredients and see if it is alcohol based. I think most of them are fairly interchangeable. I remember having Milton ones that had some additional antiviral ingredients, but the official advice just says "alcohol based handrub".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I saw some Cuticura stuff in tesco that said it killed bacteria...probably no good?
    Anything that kills bacteria will also kill viruses, or certainly reduce the numbers of viable viruses and bacteria on your hands. Mix it with handwashing and you're golden.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Or just good old fashioned rubbing alcohol. Probably a lot cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Has anyone else noticed that the Global media are not focusing on People who have recovered from the virus outside of China like Patients in Japan and Canada?

You would swear they don’t want you to know that people recover.

Has anyone else noticed that the Global media are not focusing on People who have recovered from the virus outside of China like Patients in Japan and Canada?

I suspect it's more the case of playing it safe. We don't really have any concrete details about those patients who recovered and what they were actually infected with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

And the fact that is has not killed anyone infected outside of China.

All 200 odd deaths so far from this are all based in mainland China.

Maybe quality of health care plays a major role in recovery?

FFP3 masks can reduce exposure by 99% if fitted properly. I have a couple for certain DIY jobs and always found it difficult to get a proper seal; I have to literally duct tape them to my face. You could get more expensive ones but no guarantee they'll fit well either and then you've spent 100 euro instead of a tenner. Also you start to look more like a character in Fallout than a non-loony person on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

From the reports I've watched in recent days, the high rate of recovery is taken as read. The high rate of conversion to pneumonia in those worst affected is what the story is.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The advice is to wash your hands frequently. If you cant, then hand sanitizer is the next best option but it shouldn't be considered a replacement for actual washing, just a stop gap until you can wash with soap and water. Honestly though, I dont think this occurs to a lot of people (the washing hands regularly thing), which is a problem when it comes to spreading illnesses. Hand sanitizers dont kill everything, but the physical action of washing will remove them in most cases.

Hand sanitizer is every bit as effective at killing germs as hand soaps... (depending on the brand in question obviously)

The reason for physically scrubbing your hands, is not just to remove germs, but also to remove visible dirt and dead skin cells... both of which make it easier for germs and viruses to stick to your hands!

Do both basically...

And if you need to scrub dirt off your hands, remember you can often use hand sanitizer mixed with some water if you have no soap.

I work with food a lot, so keeping the auld paws clean is very important. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The one you mentioned contains denatured alcohol plus a few other ingredients. Their are also shop bought disinfectant sprays which claim to kill flu viruses and bacteria etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just watch out on the hand sanitizers that there are some things they don't work on such as norovirus (vomiting bug).
    Don't let your guard down on those bugs while worrying about coronavirus - keep up the hand washing with soap.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Vietnam has banned flights/visas from China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. I actually looked into a break in Taiwan for this time off work. Glad I'm not there now.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just watch out on the hand sanitizers that there are some things they don't work on such as norovirus (vomiting bug).
    Don't let your guard down on those bugs while worrying about coronavirus - keep up the hand washing with soap.

Alcohol free ones, like Sterizar for example, actually do claim to kill norovirus.

Not everyone can get access to soap and water during their day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement