Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Anyone complaining about being delayed a couple of months in 2021 needs to quit your belly aching - vast majority of the country will be waiting a few years to get connected and would only love to swap situations with you - YOU ARE ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Orebro wrote: »
    Anyone complaining about being delayed a couple of months in 2021 needs to quit your belly aching - vast majority of the country will be waiting a few years to get connected and would only love to swap situations with you - YOU ARE ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES

I've been waiting most of my life for this, a couple of months isn't going to frustrate me. I consider it a miracle this is happening in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

padraig.od wrote: »
    I've been waiting most of my life for this, a couple of months isn't going to frustrate me. I consider it a miracle this is happening in the first place.

It really will be transformational when the full country is fibre enabled. Part of the reason I'm going to move to rural west cork and WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Just a update about NBI Trial. I hadn't heard anything from Sky since the delay in December. I emailed on 18th Jan. and only got a response yesterday afternoon. Got a phone call this morning to arrange installation. They said NBI engineer will call to the house on Monday between 12 - 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

marvsins wrote: »
    Got a phone call this morning to arrange installation. They said NBI engineer will call to the house on Monday between 12 - 4pm.

Good thing you weren't going on holidays this weekend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

marvsins wrote: »
    Just a update about NBI Trial. I hadn't heard anything from Sky since the delay in December. I emailed on 18th Jan. and only got a response yesterday afternoon. Got a phone call this morning to arrange installation. They said NBI engineer will call to the house on Monday between 12 - 4pm.

Thanks for the updates.

Any sign of a confidentiality condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

im still on pending survey

but then theres not one location in donegal on the plan - last as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Thanks for the updates.

Any sign of a confidentiality condition?

Lol loads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

My wife saw NBI running black cables in Ballybricken Limerick today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

TheSegal wrote: »
    Oh for fecksake, this isn't a good sign if they are delaying things at the very start. Hopefully not a result of TDs interfering in the process. Surprised by delays too considering fiber is hanging on a lot of poles in my area

As of today the cables are on the poles on my road also, tree cutting is finished. I can't imagine I'll be waiting that long but who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

im still on pending survey

but then theres not one location in donegal on the plan - last as usual

Don't go getting your knickers in a knot. It's coming.
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2020/12/17/disappointing-timeline-for-rollout-of-national-broadband-plan-in-donegal/
    “What I did receive was news that surveys have been completed in County Donegal in the areas of Milford, Letterkenny, Ramelton, Termon, Ballymacool, Kilmacrennan, Mullaghfin, and Tommyscroft."

This links to the dail question https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2020-12-16a.89

This is also encouraging
    I am advised by NBI that, as of 10 December 2020, over 145,000 premises across all counties have been surveyed which is ahead of the full year survey target of 120,000 that had been projected by the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Yeah puts it all in perspective cause in shanbally were desperate to upgrade from a mere circa 90mb FTTC to the Full 500 FTTH so even the smallest delay by a matter of weeks is hard felt lol

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

danny004 wrote: »
    Yeah puts it all in perspective cause in shanbally were desperate to upgrade from a mere circa 90mb FTTC to the Full 500 FTTH so even the smallest delay by a matter of weeks is hard felt lol

What I wouldn't give for a mere 90mb....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

A 'mere' 90mb... christ. Pushing 8mb tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

I asked you a few weeks ago to post an Eircode of a premises currently getting 90Mb/s that is included in the NBP. You didn't because you can't. There are none or at least they are so few nationwide as to be meaningless.

You also posted images of eir fibre infrastructure incorrectly claiming that it was belonging to NBI.

jones wrote: »
    As of today the cables are on the poles on my road also, tree cutting is finished. I can't imagine I'll be waiting that long but who knows

There is nowhere in North Dublin scheduled to go live before December 2021. Tree trimming is generally one of the very first tasks. There is generally months of other preparatory work needed before an area goes live.

NBAiii wrote: »
    I asked you a few weeks ago to post an Eircode of a premises currently getting 90Mb/s that is included in the NBP. You didn't because you can't. There are none or at least they are so few nationwide as to be meaningless.

You also posted images of eir fibre infrastructure incorrectly claiming that it was belonging to NBI.

I can, pick any arbitrary address in shanbally and run it through vodafone speed checker and then please have the grace to apologize
    im picking random P43 T889 so try that and all the premises around it

the images i posted with NBI written on them ,why would i lie about any of this christ

post 222 if anyone wants to doubt the pictures i posted

I can, pick any arbitrary address in shanbally and run it through vodafone speed checker and then please have the grace to apologize
    im picking random P43 T889 so try that and all the premises around it

the images i posted with NBI written on them ,why would i lie about any of this christ

post 222 if anyone wants to doubt the pictures i posted

According to Digiweb they can only supply satellite broadband to that Eircode, Vofafone can't supply any fixed broadband to it. That premises and all it's neighbours have been assessed by the Department as not being able to receive fixed libe speeds over 30Mb/s.

You posted an image of an NBI duct claiming it was cable and then claimed there was an NBI distribution point "junction box" on a pole near your home. It was an eir distribution point.

You also come across as gloating in your posts. LOL I've got 90Mb and I'm getting connected.

According to Digiweb they can only supply satellite broadband to that Eircode, Vofafone can't supply any fixed broadband to it. That premises and all it's neighbours have been assessed by the Department as not being able to receive fixed libe speeds over 30Mb/s.

You posted an image of an NBI duct claiming it was cable and then claimed there was an NBI distribution point "junction box" on a pole near your home. It was an eir distribution point.

You also come across as gloating in your posts. LOL I've got 90Mb and I'm getting connected.

I know ive doctored this attached image quicksmart

there just happen to be NBI what i thought was fiber but fair enough i know now is tubing outside my wall and the KN guys putting up the box on my poll with signs working on behalf of NBI was all imagination
    gloating was merely a bit of fun so sorry if anyone else took offence

shanbally is a village of maybe 600 residents with two FTTC eir boxes feeding it maybe 500m apart around a centric population where almost everyone can get between 70 and 90 mb

I know ive doctored this attached image quicksmart

there just happen to be NBI what i thought was fiber but fair enough i know now is tubing outside my wall and the KN guys putting up the box on my poll with signs working on behalf of NBI was all imagination
    gloating was merely a bit of fun so sorry if anyone else took offence

I just checked the Shamrock bar and it seems you are correct. FTTC at over 30Mb does seem to be available to it and I presume the rest of the buildings around it. These premises should not be included but perhaps eir upgraded them after the map was finalised.

Apologies for doubting you but as I said the gloating wound me up. I appreciate that may not have been your intention. It's hard to ascertain intention through text.

Sorry!

• Advertisement

I just checked the Shamrock bar and it seems you are correct. FTTC at over 30Mb does seem to be available to it and I presume the rest of the buildings around it. These premises should not be included but perhaps eir upgraded them after the map was finalised.

Apologies for doubting you but as I said the gloating wound me up. I appreciate that may not have been your intention. It's hard to ascertain intention through text.

Sorry!

Thank You and apology accepted and these FTTCs have been in place for i would guess nearly 4 years

Thank You and apology accepted and these FTTCs have been in place for i would guess nearly 4 years

Someone has messed up somewhere then. If over 30Mb is available they should not be connected by NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

There is nowhere in North Dublin scheduled to go live before December 2021. Tree trimming is generally one of the very first tasks. There is generally months of other preparatory work needed before an area goes live.

Dammit that's what i get to listening to the tree cutters they told me it would be installed in another few weeks.

I better get used to my 7mb for a while longer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I've been following along for a while so am fairly familiar with most things NBP.
    So, I'm hoping ye can point me in the right direction....

I'm trying to decide whether to sign up for 2 years of 5g from three.
    The missing piece of the puzzle for me is expected NBI connection dates.

On the NBI site it says pending survey
    I'm not aware of any activity locally to suggest that might change soon.
    The rolling 18month plan listing townslands currently shows nowhere close to me.

Would this mean there is zero chance of a connection to NBI (Eir could still be a possibility as they stop just up the road) within the next 2 years?
    Is there any process available to have such questions answered by NBI and if so where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Sorry!
    Many people on my road have well above 30meg too and they're being upgraded. My next door neightbour has a 100meg line and is being upgraded by NBI, house beside that again has 100 too, also being upgraded. I have 90meg here and not being upgraded but less than 100 metres away. These lines have been on FTTC since 2014ish so not recent but don't understand why they're included. I understand you getting wound up too though. There's MANY people here who'd jump at the chance of even half of their 90megs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

ArrBee wrote: »
    I've been following along for a while so am fairly familiar with most things NBP.

The rolling 18month plan listing townslands currently shows nowhere close to me.

Would this mean there is zero chance of a connection to NBI (Eir could still be a possibility as they stop just up the road) within the next 2 years?
    Is there any process available to have such questions answered by NBI and if so where?

Yeah likely zero chance of a Fibre connection within 2 years. From survey timeframe to build, it appears to be coming in around the 1.5 year mark. Can never be certain but im in the same boat. I've to sign up with a WISP for 55 euro a month in February.
    Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Many people on my road have well above 30meg too and they're being upgraded. My next door neightbour has a 100meg line and is being upgraded by NBI, house beside that again has 100 too, also being upgraded. I have 90meg here and not being upgraded but less than 100 metres away. These lines have been on FTTC since 2014ish so not recent but don't understand why they're included. I understand you getting wound up too though. There's MANY people here who'd jump at the chance of even half of their 90megs.

This is very depressing hearing these stories. Most of us crying out for Fibre are stuck on speeds of 2-7Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

ArrBee wrote: »

Unlikely you'll get any dates from NBI for your address unless they're on the site. I'd say a 2 year contract is a relatively safe bet in terms of there being no or minimal overlap with any NBI availability in your area, but it's not 100% certain for sure.
    Given there have already been dates slipping, it's reasonable to suggest that the townlands that currently have a date for later in 2021 might slip into 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Im in an estate with 38 houses 10 minutes from carlow town and according to NBI only a handful of the houses are getting connected excluding my house which can get 25/7 mbps, the first 3 houses coming in are on 25/7mbps aswell and they are getting NBI connected and other houses are on less than 15mbps and are not getting connected to NBI. Ive emailed DCCE and NBI for several months last year and now my house is getting connected to NBI. We were surveyed last summer and have a date of September-November 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

I’m stuck at 12/1 and like you, our property is not in the intervention area but all of my neighbours are.

How long did it take to get DCCAE to review your case? NBI pointed me to DCCAE, what was their involvement in your case and how did you get some movement on it?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

It took around 4 months to get them to include my address, NBI told me that they don't own the maps that DDCE do, so they sent my information on to them and was told that my address will be included. NBI told me they will let me know when my address is included but as of today when i checked it still not updated.

Advertisement