Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

djd80 wrote: »
    Lastly we have a 2 storey house and on the same wall but at the very top of the wall I have my Sky dish which has a small duct into the attic so I could bring the fibre up the outside wall and in there and have the ONT there on the inside.
    Only question with that is how to do it wo make it look well, don't like the idea of a visible cable snaking up the side of the house.

This post previously on attic installs
    NBAiii wrote: »
    They are not going to install in attics. For non-duct installs there will be a 10mm hole drilled in an exterior wall and the cable is to be brough a maxium of 1m inside the property.

As with the eir rollout there may be some flexibility with individual installers who will try to help you but these are the rules NBI have set. Having your site prepared and making it as easy as possible for the installer would be prudent if you want them to bend the rules.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I just don't see an NBI contractor installing an ONT outdoors, no matter how satisfied you are with the weatherproofedness of the box. It doesn't seem likely that they'll go the attic route either.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Orebro wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. I come from a farming background and know many farmers, all hold the ESB in the highest regard.

AFAIK, the ESB have rights to cross land.

Many years ago, my neighbour in Kildare complained when they cut down trees to cross a driveway and was more or less told to f off, politely.

fergus1001 wrote: »
    $99 jesus that's expensive

From the Register this morning -

"However, if you take Starlink at face value, the pricing says one thing very clearly: it is indeed the most viable and cheapest solution right now - and likely for the next five years - for rural America to get decent internet speeds."

So there we are, make America great again....

In the article https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/28/spacexs_starlink_pricing/

they have calculated -

"the cost of DSL in rural areas of the US is between $1.50 and $2.50 per Mbps. Starlink said its service will offer between 50Mbps and 150Mbps - which means a cost of between 66 cents and $2 per Mbps. In other words, cheaper in many cases."

and -

"Starlink said that it “expects to see… latency from 20ms to 40ms over the next several months as we enhance the system.”

That range is basically the same as that currently experienced in rural states. "

FWIW

Orebro wrote: »
    Let’s not start on Starlink in this thread folks...

I don't intend to, it is just (valuable) data imo.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

Only question with that is how to do it wo make it look well, don't like the idea of a visible cable snaking up the side of the house.

Relax:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

BarryM wrote: »
    From the Register this morning -

"However, if you take Starlink at face value, the pricing says one thing very clearly: it is indeed the most viable and cheapest solution right now - and likely for the next five years - for rural America to get decent internet speeds."

FWIW

Seriously lads, any chance ye could take the Starlink stuff into another thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

NBI crew inspecting poles outside Rochestown College in Cork today. We're marked for Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 - first time I've seen hard hats around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Saw a couple KN vans just over 1km from my house today outside Carrigaline in Cork, it's happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

Thanks for the reply.

You could try and use the cavity of your double cavity wall (if you have one) to bring a duct from the miniature box to a place/room on your inside wall that you are happy for the ONT to be installed. A difficult job (especially with insulation in the way) but it could be done with no visual impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Thanks for the reply.

No the CAT6 is run through the house embedded in the walls and plastered over etc - cannot get the fibre pulled in that way unfortunately.

So really I'm seeing only a couple of options.

Take a chance and let them drill through the wall and figure out a way to make it look respectable on the inside.

Perhaps find a way of retrofitting that miniature box to make it weatherproof.

Lastly we have a 2 storey house and on the same wall but at the very top of the wall I have my Sky dish which has a small duct into the attic so I could bring the fibre up the outside wall and in there and have the ONT there on the inside.

Hide it in a false drainpipe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hide it in a false drainpipe

its a cable, just run it uniformly up the side clipped nicely. people dont see these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

baz9375 wrote: »
    Can you share anything on the Cavan deployment map at all?

I'm in Cloverhill, Co.Cavan and just wondering if the rollout date they've given of February is accurate?

Some press are saying that Cavan will see connections in 2020 however I cant see any Cavan Eircodes with Deccember date when I check the NBI website (only the Feb - April that my own Eircode give).

Do you think there'll be one go live date for all premises that have been surveyed together or will that be phased also?

Apologies for the delay in responding, unfortunately I've no firm insight as regard dates. From the images you have posted it seems at least some of the infrastructure work is complete in your area so I don't see why your area could not be live in February. Cloverhill is towards the edge of the Cavan rollout so you would assume they have worked outwards from Cavan town.

As for December they are talking about having 7900 premises passed. From what has been posted here that figure would seem optimistic but then again there could be a lot more work done that most people would not notice.

If they follow the eir model premises in an area would go live in phases over maybe a few weeks but again I'm unsure of what their plans are in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭baz9375

NBAiii wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay in responding, unfortunately I've no firm insight as regard dates. From the images you have posted it seems at least some of the infrastructure work is complete in your area so I don't see why your area could not be live in February. Cloverhill is towards the edge of the Cavan rollout so you would assume they have worked outwards from Cavan town.

As for December they are talking about having 7900 premises passed. From what has been posted here that figure would seem optimistic but then again there could be a lot more work done that most people would not notice.

If they follow the eir model premises in an area would go live in phases over maybe a few weeks but again I'm unsure of what their plans are in this regard.

Thanks so much NBAiii. Informative as ever.

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Nice to see surveying starting in North Wexford.

I thought it was interesting that the areas listed in the tweet appear to be just a list from google images at the zoom level in the picture attached apart from a few areas added in where there are larger gaps. All seem to be based around the Ballycarney OLT also. Nothing close to the Monamolin OLT yet unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

daraghwal wrote: »
    Nice to see surveying starting in North Wexford.

I thought it was interesting that the areas listed in the tweet appear to be just a list from google images at the zoom level in the picture attached apart from a few areas added in where there are larger gaps. All seem to be based around the Ballycarney OLT also. Nothing close to the Monamolin OLT yet unfortunately.

Mid Wexford..! Norths a bit of a stretch.

listermint wrote: »
    Mid Wexford..! Norths a bit of a stretch.

Sorry, I think I just count anything above Oylgate as North Wexford :D Up until now it was just surrounding Wexford Town AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sorry, I think I just count anything above Oylgate as North Wexford :D Up until now it was just surrounding Wexford Town AFAIK

Dara can i ask you as a dub, what is the correct spelling of oilgate/oylgate ? I've seen both

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

I very much doubt the Tullycanna/Ballymitty area in county wexford will be included. I'd love to move away from satellite broadband which is very inconsistent with speeds and the data caps are annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

Himself has a new pair of shoes. That’s a good sign, I think.

531130.png

https://twitter.com/DCMcCourt/status/1321039113806635008

• Advertisement

beya2009 wrote: »
    I very much doubt the Tullycanna/Ballymitty area in county wexford will be included. I'd love to move away from satellite broadband which is very inconsistent with speeds and the data caps are annoying.

Check if you're in the amber or blue area in this map.
    https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=99c229dc4c414971afc50818b25337ef

If amber then you're in the NBP, if blue you should be able to get min 30 Mb/s (possibly 1 Gb/s ) from eir, siro or one of their retailers. If they can't provide the minimum within the next 6 years then you will be put in the NBP.

In the meantime you could try a fixed wireless provider. Some are better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

Fibre runs from Duncormick through Tullycanna to Racks Cross

Wireless should be available from this mast.

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#site/3_WX0160/52.2621781248/-6.6399313826/1/Site%203_WX0160

uch wrote: »
    Dara can i ask you as a dub, what is the correct spelling of oilgate/oylgate ? I've seen both

I actually googled it before writing it, Oylegate is the way most people spell it I think, it's Oilgate on google maps though.

Not in this tranche of surveys anyway unfortunately. You can't go wrong with Rocket Broadband if they're available for you, they're a WISP covering Wexford/Kilkenny and also do fibre when available. I moved a few months ago and I get at least 30-54 Mbps during the day (usually closer to 50) and get at least 20 at night with the 50/5 Plan. They also resell eir FTTH and SIRO so will probably migrate people over when it's available.

Wireless Coverage: https://www.rocketbroadband.ie/coverage/

clohamon wrote: »
    Check if you're in the amber or blue area in this map.
    https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=99c229dc4c414971afc50818b25337ef

If amber then you're in the NBP, if blue you should be able to get min 30 Mb/s (possibly 1 Gb/s ) from eir, siro or one of their retailers. If they can't provide the minimum within the next 6 years then you will be put in the NBP.

In the meantime you could try a fixed wireless provider. Some are better than others.

Just checked my eircode with that link you provided and it shows as blue but it might have to be a 6 year wait as our phone line is very poor. With Eir we can only get their 2meg but line can only handle 1meg at best. Pretty sure it's the same story with Vodafone.

What I'm sure doesn't help is that we have a long avenue (house about 200 meters) from the newline road.

I will checkout Siro.

I actually googled it before writing it, Oylegate is the way most people spell it I think, it's Oilgate on google maps though.

Not in this tranche of surveys anyway unfortunately. You can't go wrong with Rocket Broadband if they're available for you, they're a WISP covering Wexford/Kilkenny and also do fibre when available. I moved a few months ago and I get at least 30-54 Mbps during the day (usually closer to 50) and get at least 20 at night with the 50/5 Plan. They also resell eir FTTH and SIRO so will probably migrate people over when it's available.

Wireless Coverage: https://www.rocketbroadband.ie/coverage/

Is Rocket Broadband satellite broadband?

Is Rocket Broadband satellite broadband?

No, it comes from masts they have dotted around Wexford (Forth Mountain, Sliabh Bhui etc.) and is much more reliable than satellite broadband. In my case I am 10km from the mast. The only thing is you need line of sight from somewhere on your house (chimney, gable end etc.) to their nearest mast.

This is a typical speedtest for me. A bit lower on a Saturday than during the week but still very good. Before this we had another unreliable WISP that only gave us about 5Mbps at best and other than that it was 1Mb from eir.

10341096193.png

No, it comes from masts they have dotted around Wexford (Forth Mountain, Sliabh Bhui etc.) and is much more reliable than satellite broadband. In my case I am 10km from the mast. The only thing is you need line of sight from somewhere on your house (chimney, gable end etc.) to their nearest mast.

This is a typical speedtest for me. A bit lower on a Saturday than during the week but still very good. Before this we had another unreliable WISP that only gave us about 5Mbps at best and other than that it was 1Mb from eir.

10341096193.png

Oh okay thanks for that information. I am nearly certain there would be no line of sight to Forth Mountain from our house but I will contact them just to be sure.

Oh okay thanks for that information. I am nearly certain there would be no line of sight to Forth Mountain from our house but I will contact them just to be sure.

No problem, that was just an example. They have a good few sites as far as I know.

Just checked my eircode with that link you provided and it shows as blue but it might have to be a 6 year wait as our phone line is very poor. With Eir we can only get their 2meg but line can only handle 1meg at best. Pretty sure it's the same story with Vodafone.

What I'm sure doesn't help is that we have a long avenue (house about 200 meters) from the newline road..

Just to be sure, put your eircode in the Airwire checker
    https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

and see what happens. Try some of your neighbours' eircodes* in it also, particularly if you're on a narrow blue line rather than near a village/town centre.

*to get your neighbours' eircode put your own code in here
    https://finder.eircode.ie/#/ , select address and click.
    When you see your premises then click 'view on map' (bottom-left of screen)
    then move the map until the red marker is over your neighbour's premises and click 'get eircode'

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote: »
    Just to be sure, put your eircode in the Airwire checker
    https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

and see what happens. Try some of your neighbours' eircodes* in it also, particularly if you're on a narrow blue line rather than near a village/town centre.

*to get your neighbours' eircode put your own code in here
    https://finder.eircode.ie/#/ , select address and click.
    When you see your premises then click 'view on map' (bottom-left of screen)
    then move the map until the red marker is over your neighbour's premises and click 'get eircode'

Very interesting results but it seems consistent with what I was told when I called one broadband provider who checked availability when I gave him our eircode. I can't remember the exact language he used but he was saying that the fibre line or something was skipped on our property.

When I checked my own eircode on airwire site...the only option that might be available to me is: VDSL Broadband (up to 100 Mbit/s) - Please check with our sales team or check .

But when I used our neighbors eircode that are next to us although their house much closer to the newline road where as ours due to very long avenue is not. They had 2 options available:
    VDSL Broadband (up to 100 Mbit/s) - Please check with our sales team or check.
    Fibre to the Home (150-1000 Mbit/s) - Available

Advertisement