Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

TimHorton wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/rtetwip/status/1324329361256910848?s=20

Now
    @MichaelFitzmau1
    raising broadband Said there have been stand offs with people who put up poles Said 80% of contractors gone off site cos surveys are wrong. Asks what gov doing to ensure oversight Says main contract is being subbed down and down again #leadersquestions

If what Fitzmaurice said is true then that really is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

joe123 wrote: »
    If what Fitzmaurice said is true then that really is mental.

It sounds like BS tbh.

>stand offs with people who put up poles
    Who, eir? Why? Standoffs between them and who?

>80% of contractors gone off site cos surveys are wrong.
    Citation needed. Wrong how? Lack of detail/accuracy?

>Says main contract is being subbed down and down again
    I don't know what this even means. Subsidised? Substituted? Submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

Pique wrote: »
    It sounds like BS tbh.

Subcontracted?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Long story short, very close to intervention area and direct to the exchange. Emailed NBI a few months ago to enquire and they told me to complain to the provider and then comreg if needs be. Got nowhere with either and sent another email to NBI and today got a reply in error from the looks of it. Says they checked and I'm surrounded by amber dots and best available is 25mb so may need to be put in to the IA, fingers crossed.

baz9375 wrote: »

This piece is a report from an Oireachtas Committee meeting.(video)
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/3506

At about 43:30 mins the Minister tells Cathal Crowe TD that he will get the department to provide him with an indicative schedule of the roll-out. ("to the best of our ability")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

I had a guy from NBI call to the house yesterday. There are a couple of poles at the bottom of my garden taking the phone line to a house behind me that he wanted to check. He told me they have to be finished laying cable in our area by January. We are still showing on the NBI website as pending survey even though it was done back in April. Looking good for us to be one of the first areas to get connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

clohamon wrote: »
    This piece is a report from an Oireachtas Committee meeting.(video)
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/3506

At about 43:30 mins the Minister tells Cathal Crowe TD that he will get the department to provide him with an indicative schedule of the roll-out. ("to the best of our ability")

Here's hoping!

Any idea how long it might take to turn such a question around into a publicly available response?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

db wrote: »
    I had a guy from NBI call to the house yesterday. There are a couple of poles at the bottom of my garden taking the phone line to a house behind me that he wanted to check. He told me they have to be finished laying cable in our area by January. We are still showing on the NBI website as pending survey even though it was done back in April. Looking good for us to be one of the first areas to get connected.

What area are you in? These posts are very welcome, but they're even more useful when people give a general geographical area. Thanks!

Pique wrote: »
    It sounds like BS tbh.

>stand offs with people who put up poles
    Who, eir? Why? Standoffs between them and who?

>80% of contractors gone off site cos surveys are wrong.
    Citation needed. Wrong how? Lack of detail/accuracy?

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/dail-videos/ (video)
    from 2:06:50
    He acknowledges that the ‘polers’ have returned.
    It sounds like it’s the hedge-cutting contractors that he’s concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I was talking to a surveyor out on the road in my area asking if he by any chance knew when we would be getting connected. He said roughly a year is what he was told. There has been several nbi vans around the last 2 weeks. My house and area is showing still requires survey on the nbi website.
    I was also looking around the local area on the map and I found a house around 5 miles away that has a connection date of June to July on the nbi website.

I'm in the broadford/kilbane area of Co. Clare

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »
    What area are you in? These posts are very welcome, but they're even more useful when people give a general geographical area. Thanks!

Clonlara, Co Clare. Close to Limerick city. It was on a previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Cush wrote: »
    The outskirts of Limerick city was done earlier this year, I saw vans around the Annacotty area to name but one.

Apparently we were covered in the first phase in Ballyclough and given an estimate of first quarter of 2021 which has now been pushed back to second quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Question for anyone with a date who signed up for updates on the NBI website. When your house went from "pending survey" to a ballpark date for survey, did you get an email?
    Just wondering if it's worth checking manually every so often. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Question for anyone with a date who signed up for updates on the NBI website. When your house went from "pending survey" to a ballpark date for survey, did you get an email?

Nope, never got an email from them to say my area was being surveyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I got an email on 21/10/2020 but I knew on 6/10/2020 that surveying had started because I was going in to check about every week.

So, it looks like they do send an email notification but about two weeks after the start of surveying.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I got an email on 21/10/2020 but I knew on 6/10/2020 that surveying had started because I was going in to check about every week.

So, it looks like they do send an email notification but about two weeks after the start of surveying.

Same as this, noticed a status change with a delivery date around 5th/6th October. Then I got an email notification on 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

NBI were laying cable outside my house last week.
    Oranmore, Galway.

Scheduled Jan - Mar connection according to their website.

Clonlara, Co Clare. Close to Limerick city. It was on a previous post.

NBI have been laying cable here today from the road to the pole at the back of the garden. I had a chat with one of them and he told me they are laying all the off-road cable in the area and another team will be along to lay the cable along the road. Every one of them I have spoken to since the initial survey have said we should be getting connected around the end of the year. Still showing pending survey on the NBI site.

This popped up on my news feed today. Seems the row mentioned by Fitzmaurice was to do with hedge cutting

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/hedge-cutting-row-national-broadband-plan-rollout-begins/

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Prob been asked 100 times so apologies. Nbp surveying my area today. What's the wait time from now til install. One year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Prob been asked 100 times so apologies. Nbp surveying my area today. What's the wait time from now til install. One year?

Go to the NBI website, put in your eircode...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Go to the NBI website, put in your eircode...

Have done that from day one. Won't be updated that quick

What area are you in? Generally good to post that up, helps give people an idea of whats happening. The website often lags behind.

But yeah from what I've seen anyways, rough timeframe of surveying date to expected rollout is about a year or a tad longer. But theres been no actual connections yet so hard to know exactly.

joe123 wrote: »
    What area are you in? Generally good to post that up, helps give people an idea of whats happening. The website often lags behind.

But yeah from what I've seen anyways, rough timeframe of surveying date to expected rollout is about a year or a tad longer. But theres been no actual connections yet so hard to know exactly.

I'm Kilkenny. Close to gowran

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

recyclebin wrote: »

Theres actually no additional detail there. It sounds like a couple contractors in a county were not happy with the price they gave for the work they are doing.

standard fare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

listermint wrote: »
    Theres actually no additional detail there. It sounds like a couple contractors in a county were not happy with the price they gave for the work they are doing.

standard fare

Most agricultural hedge cutting is an hourly rate. Maybe NBI and it's subcontractors are trying to cut the standard rates? Most hedge cutting contractors that I know are small one man businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

recyclebin wrote: »
    Most agricultural hedge cutting is an hourly rate. Maybe NBI and it's subcontractors are trying to cut the standard rates? Most hedge cutting contractors that I know are small one man businesses.

The article reads like a pricing for a job rather than hourly.

Why take the job if its under your quote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

He is/was an agri contractor and is presumably very tight with that world still. Delays to the NBP rollout for the want of a few extra euro to the hedgecutter buddies is the game methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In a Dáil written reply on Tuesday
    Minister for Environment, Climate and Communications: ... Separately my Department continues to engage with industry to monitor developments in the market and has engaged with SpaceX on the development of their proposed Starlink network. The development of new solutions such as Low Earth Orbit satellite solutions is something that my Department monitors on an ongoing basis. While advances have been made in these satellite based solutions, concerns remain on a number of aspects such as the likely speeds that will be delivered, where the service will be available and the price of services to consumers.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-11-10/233/?highlight%5B0%5D=starlink

Advertisement