Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Fluppen wrote: »
    Hi folks, there were survey vans zipping around our area (Barntown Wexford) at lethal speeds in march and the NBI website indicated the same, I can't remember exactly what it said but I remember being exited by it. I just checked now to see if there were any updates and my address has gone back to 'pending survey'. Have things been slowed down or put on hold? Should I stop hoping that I might get better broadband in the next few years?

You said it "went back" to pending survey. What state was in before?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

I'm not sure to be honest. I didn't take note of it but it was possibly 'surveying in progress' or something along those lines. I do remember my brother in law spoke to one of the guys in the vans and he said the norm would be 6-7 months post survey for the start of work. But I'm thinking perhaps this area was surveyed and they realised that there were only two households that would benefit as all the others in the area can access Eir fibre. In that case it would make sense that they would prioritise other areas first.

I'm not sure to be honest. I didn't take note of it but it was possibly 'surveying in progress' or something along those lines. I do remember my brother in law spoke to one of the guys in the vans and he said the norm would be 6-7 months post survey for the start of work. But I'm thinking perhaps this area was surveyed and they realised that there were only two households that would benefit as all the others in the area can access Eir fibre. In that case it would make sense that they would prioritise other areas first.

Let me put it this way, we were surveyed in mid June (NBI guys knocked on door enquiring about our ducting), and we're still shown as "Pending survey" 3 months later. There's no guidance on time from survey->availability so I wouldn't hold my breath. It'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭baz9375

Quick update (and photo). All the marked damaged poles are being replaced today. Another two vans are out installing more ducting. Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

baz9375 wrote: »
    Quick update (and photo). All the marked damaged poles are being replaced today. Another two vans are out installing more ducting. Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

You should be taking over their Twitter feed Baz. Great photos. Thanks for the updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

Why are NBI replacing damaged Eir poles?

Are you sure they are not just installing new poles?

user1842 wrote: »
    Why are NBI replacing damaged Eir poles?

Are you sure they are not just installing new poles?

They're definitely replacing them; the pole they're at now is one of the few that was marked previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭user1842

They're definitely replacing them; the pole they're at now is one of the few that was marked previously.

That is super strange.

Could they have made a deal with Eir, where NBI take ownership of those poles and thus do not pay any rent to Eir?

(maybe nobody on that run has kept a copper connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

You should be taking over their Twitter feed Baz. Great photos. Thanks for the updates.

Says a lot when we get more info here than we do from NBI themselves. #premisespendingsurvey4life

Thanks for the updates, it is good to see progress where ever it may be. I recently spoke with the broadband officer for Galway and he hadn't a clue about any NBI progress, but just to "sign up to their website".

user1842 wrote: »
    That is super strange.

Could they have made a deal with Eir, where NBI take ownership of those poles and thus do not pay any rent to Eir?

(maybe nobody on that run has kept a copper connection)
    It's possible that Eir and NBI have agreed upon one or more third party contractors to carry out the work to Eirs standards. I'm sure Eir only have bandwidth to repair a certain amount of infrastructure at any given time, and can't stretch to the needs of the NBI rollout (small as it is right now). It would make sense if contractors were engaged for the rollout timeframe, reverting back to Eir when the bulk of the work was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Hi folks, there were survey vans zipping around our area (Barntown Wexford) at lethal speeds in march and the NBI website indicated the same, I can't remember exactly what it said but I remember being exited by it. I just checked now to see if there were any updates and my address has gone back to 'pending survey'. Have things been slowed down or put on hold? Should I stop hoping that I might get better broadband in the next few years?

Same as that, I'm up in Bree and we were surveyed on 12 May. Website has always been Pending Survey since before survey started. Was told 6 to 7 months too but no way is that happening. Realistically I'd have been saying March or so next year but no-one really knows for sure it seems and there have been some Covid delays for UK contractors.

Another NBI contractor crew working in same area (Cloverhill, Co.Cavan). They were working on replacing poles on another road about two miles from where the photo was taken this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Jofspring wrote: »
    A lot of people on here in various different locations are reporting that December 2020-Feb 2021 as their delivery time but only one person has reported work commencing. I know they are probably commencing in a few places but they will have to work extremely fast to reach the amount of people that seem to be Dec 2020/Feb 2021.

I'm in the same boat as most people. If I had it by this time next year I will be delighted.

Only time will tell.

"A lot.of people" is still kind of subjective though isn't it.

Put it this way, the period of dec 2020 to Feb 2021 still gives them a five month window (Oct to Feb) for rollout to those areas. That's five months of an overall 7 year rollout plan, I would expect them to have a significant amount of work started in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

To recap on what Peter Hendricks said on ShannonsideFM back at end of April. Roscommon surveys started beginning of May.
    Design phase in 11 counties for this year. Next year, the remaining counties will be surveyed for buildout but all BCPs will be connected this year. 5-8 weeks survey duration. Poles replaced in 'make-ready' phase prior to build out. The closer you are to a Trunk line, the quicker you will be connected. 60-70 operators on the NBP network predicted.

I remember Hendricks saying that we would be connected in or around Easter 2021 too.

approx 1 month later (2nd week of June) I met the survey guys and they reckoned about a year or so from then, making it midsummer 2021 for the Ballymurray, Roscommon area.

My eircode is still 'premises pending survey' btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Pique wrote: »
    To recap on what Peter Hendricks said on ShannonsideFM back at end of April. Roscommon surveys started beginning of May.

I remember Hendricks saying that we would be connected in or around Easter 2021 too.

approx 1 month later (2nd week of June) I met the survey guys and they reckoned about a year or so from then, making it midsummer 2021 for the Ballymurray, Roscommon area.

My eircode is still 'premises pending survey' btw.

Anyone recall/know what the 11 counties are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

A knock on the door yesterday here in Dublin 5 asking for consent to install fibre optic lines on my house for Siro! At the moment I can only get 5MB DSL or VM.

I asked the chap did anyone say no and yes they have! Really?! Why would anyone disagree with high speed broadband. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

stevek93 wrote: »
    I asked the chap did anyone say no and yes they have! Really?! Why would anyone disagree with high speed broadband. :confused:

I'm alright Jack! Someone who has VM and doesn't want anyone touching their lock down paintwork

I'm alright Jack! Someone who has VM and doesn't want anyone touching their lock down paintwork

I asked him if then what if a neighbour says no, it was mentioned then that if there isn’t another route available the rest of the neighbours won’t be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

stevek93 wrote: »
    I asked him if then what if a neighbour says no, it was mentioned then that if there isn’t another route available the rest of the neighbours won’t be getting it.

Do they tell you which neighbour refuses? That would be utter fcukery on their part if they refuse access in full knowledge that in doing so they deny others fibre.

Pique wrote: »
    Do they tell you which neighbour refuses? That would be utter fcukery on their part if they refuse access in full knowledge that in doing so they deny others fibre.

Yes they told me, I presume that it was mentioned to the refusing neighbour that they will stop the other neighbours from getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

FYI, there's a SIRO thread. This is about NBI.

NBI/Secto crew were outside my home yesterday morning. Replaced damaged pole directly opposite me and all along the road. Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

NBI/Secto crew were outside my home yesterday morning. Replaced damaged pole directly opposite me and all along the road

These types of posts are absolutely useless without a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

he has given a location several times already. It's Cloverhill, Co.Cavan.

Cloverhill,Co.Cavan

Dero wrote: »
    he has given a location several times already. It's Cloverhill, Co.Cavan.

Would you like me and anyone else who may not have seen the location previously to go back over the thread looking for the location?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Would you like me and anyone else who may not have seen the location previously to go back over the thread looking for the location?

I would, but that's me. I like having context so I tend to read threads in their entirety. However, if you don't like reading back generally, maybe before deeming the post useless would be a good exception.

The only other alternative is for every update post to have the location, and with the best will in the world, sometimes people forget.

Dero wrote: »
    with the best will in the world, sometimes people forget.

They do. Thus my post as a reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Still seen zero work here in Rochestown, Cork. We’re down for Dec to Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Jofspring wrote: »
    I take it at this stage we can all assume most the premises that say available December 2020-Feb 2021 isn't actually going to happen. There are a lot of places saying it at the moment and that is closing in.

I've just been scanninh over the NBI maps, and dates etc, to me, it looks.like east cork, from the city out to killeagh is down as dec 2020 to Feb 2021

Midleton is one of their hubs, so assume they have a plan to finish off that area within that timeframe.

Advertisement