Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

baz9375 wrote: »
    Thanks. Didn’t know what the tags were and thought the black pipe was the fibre itself.

Still really happy to have gone from nothing to this in the space of a few days.

I’m really hopeful that we will have our go live date of Jan - March the Eircode checker is showing.

If you are seeing all of that progress and you have to wait until Jan-March I can't see fiber arriving her at the earlier time of Dec-Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Nolars wrote: »
    Just checked nbi website im in the midleton area and it's expected in December 2020 - Feb 2021 :)

Woo hoo !!! I'm in same area, same dates down for my house too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

A small error I noticed on the NBI website, they have the wrong CRO registration number it appears. They are using number 165970 registered to Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC.

NBI-wrong-CRO-No.jpg

These are the various registered NBI companies

NBI MANAGEMENT LIMITED 658894
    10 EARLSFORT TERRACE
    DUBLIN 2 D02 T380, IRELAND

NBI DEPLOYMENT DESIGNATED ACTIVITY COMPANY 631657
    3009 LAKE DRIVE CITYWEST BUSINESS CAMPUS
    DUBLIN 24

NBI INFRASTRUCTURE DESIGNATED ACTIVITY COMPANY 631656
    DUBLIN 24

The NBP contract was awarded to NBI Infrastructure DAC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Must be the same web dev who fcuked up. You should email them as that's quite the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That's quite a strange mistake to make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Thanks. Didn’t know what the tags were and thought the black pipe was the fibre itself.

Still really happy to have gone from nothing to this in the space of a few days.

I’m really hopeful that we will have our go live date of Jan - March the Eircode checker is showing.

It is certainly positive for you to see such work underway. I belive yours is the first definitive report of NBI build work. Thanks for the images and please keep us updated on the progress if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭baz9375

The NBI/Secto crew were back at 7am this morning.

TheBody wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long between mapping and installing the infrastructure?

Our road was surveyed in March and works started this week. Cloverhill, Co.Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Our road was surveyed in March and works started this week.

Can we make a point of giving our rough location in posts like these from now on?

Pique wrote: »
    Can we make a point of giving our rough location in posts like these from now on?

Updated my post with location.

I'm in Cloverhill,Co.Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

The NBI/Secto crew were back at 7am this morning.

Oh feck, some early starts for them! Thanks for all of the update pics, always good to see some progress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Pique wrote: »

Great shout. Was thinking this yesterday reading the amount of work going on, knowing deep down im likely 5+ years away from all this joy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

NBI Van's pulled in for lunch in Emo Co Laois today

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Great to see this action happening on the ground, even if it's not in my area....yet! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

You'll know when the fibre is actually being run when you see some of these reels on the back of a truck

2AYX1T0.jpg

slade_x wrote: »
    You'll know when the fibre is actually being run when you see some of these reels on the back of a truck

2AYX1T0.jpg

I could be wrong here but that looks like narrow ducting for blowing fibre-cable through

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=104517013#post104517013

693-E645-B-2-EAA-45-F7-A057-79-E32-D6695-D7-jpeg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The Cush wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but that looks like narrow ducting for blowing fibre-cable through

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=104517013#post104517013

It is duct. Fibre cable, especially that used outdoors, is nearly certainly going to be black probably about 8 - 10mm diameter. The poster is correct in that it will likely be on a trailer mounted drum.

A small error I noticed on the NBI website, they have the wrong CRO registration number it appears. They are using number 165970 registered to Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC.

NBI-wrong-CRO-No.jpg

Fixed now as regards the CRO registered number, except for the registered address, still using the old address, new registered address is in Citywest

NBI-wrong-CRO-registered-address.jpg

DUBLIN 24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There was times when we doubted we would ever see this day, I know I am jumping the gun a bit but I guess/am hoping we will see the first connections going live before Christmas now at this rate, probably around one of these first areas to see boots on the ground, like Cavan or Carrigaline in Cork.

It will be interesting to see the broadband packages the ISP's will offer via NBI soon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

Rhymes with Bavin Meridan?
    To be fair:
    1. He's an excellent campaigner for FOI (and there are quite a few ardent FOI campaigners who wouldn't be strong proponents of NBP due to long-standing questions over the murky nature of ENET and the MAN contracts).
    2. He chose to live in a place where that service happens to be readily available. I don't think the post was rubbing in anyones face. We'll all be posting here with our speedtest results in a few years (I hope)

There are shades of grey here. Even as a ardent supported of NBP, I'm still happy to call out
    1. A single final bidder being bananas
    2. The amount of redacted information in the contract being suspect when we have _so_ much money on the line

There probably should be some time limit on the publication of the non-redacted contract though. Maybe 5-10 years, or in the case of NBI, perhaps the full contract should be published when the rollout is complete. I realise the contract is for a full 25 years though.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/supreme-court/court-rules-public-bodies-must-justify-refusals-to-disclose-certain-documents-1.4364779
    The commissioner was correct in arguing sections 35.3 and 36.3 require the public body to justify a refusal, she said.
    However, the commissioner imposed an “unduly high” bar by requiring evidence of justifying reasons amounting to “exceptional circumstances” to establish a lawful refusal to disclose. On foot of those findings, she granted the commissioner’s appeal relating to the Sheridan decision.

Long judgement yesterday from the Supreme Court.
    The OIC Decision on the MANS contracts has been remitted back to the Information Commissioner for a new review.
    Presumably the Department could then appeal any new decision once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Fixed now as regards the CRO registered number, except for the registered address, still using the old address, new registered address is in Citywest

NBI-wrong-CRO-registered-address.jpg

DUBLIN 24
    Got to hand it to them.......

They fixed it in day and a half. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

so i just checked the nbi checker again as there was NBI surveying my area in Cork a week or so ago and the checker has updated already

the thing is, eir have laid ducting and replaced poles here already as it seems we are included in the eir IFN rollout also, albeit just ducting laid with no fibre blown in yet

anyway, nbi checker now shows

Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date: Dec 2020 to Feb 2021

edit: i was also signed up for updates for my eircode but i didnt receive any email regarding this new updated timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I take it at this stage we can all assume most the premises that say available December 2020-Feb 2021 isn't actually going to happen. There are a lot of places saying it at the moment and that is closing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

KOR101 wrote: »
    Got to hand it to them.......

They fixed it in day and a half. :)

Maybe an indication of what their SLA will be like...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Jofspring wrote:
    I take it at this stage we can all assume most the premises that say available December 2020-Feb 2021 isn't actually going to happen. There are a lot of places saying it at the moment and that is closing in.

How many is a lot tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

Jofspring wrote: »

This is going to get interesting alright, I'd nearly prefer they had further out dates and delivered on it, then missing early published dates, whats that saying "under promise and over deliver", I'll be happy as long as I get service in 2021 to be fair, but earlier the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Jofspring wrote: »

I don't know how you are coming to that assumption.
    Also, as someone said, how many is a lot ?
    NBI putting out unobtainable targets at this early stage in the game would be a confidence killer,.I would say the info is fairly reliable.

The only possibility that crossed my mind is some form of error with the data, but they would have double checked that I would imagine.

Posting innacurate or unreliable forecasting data at this stage would be suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I don't know how you are coming to that assumption.
    Also, as someone said, how many is a lot ?
    NBI putting out unobtainable targets at this early stage in the game would be a confidence killer,.I would say the info is fairly reliable.

The only possibility that crossed my mind is some form of error with the data, but they would have double checked that I would imagine.

Posting innacurate or unreliable forecasting data at this stage would be suicide.

A lot of people on here in various different locations are reporting that December 2020-Feb 2021 as their delivery time but only one person has reported work commencing. I know they are probably commencing in a few places but they will have to work extremely fast to reach the amount of people that seem to be Dec 2020/Feb 2021.

I'm in the same boat as most people. If I had it by this time next year I will be delighted.

Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Hi folks, there were survey vans zipping around our area (Barntown Wexford) at lethal speeds in march and the NBI website indicated the same, I can't remember exactly what it said but I remember being exited by it. I just checked now to see if there were any updates and my address has gone back to 'pending survey'. Have things been slowed down or put on hold? Should I stop hoping that I might get better broadband in the next few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I’m in the Dec 2020-Feb 2021 bracket and haven’t seen a single NBI van since surveying - Rochestown, Cork

Advertisement